This pisses me the F off!!!

mynameisash

my good buddy on here told me that our local KB got many and many cases of ML figures in. I was one of those who lost his job over a yr ago and had to sell his collection to pay bills. once I got an even better job, I began collecting again...still many of you arent very supportive in helping me catch up even when I offer cash. But this next is ridiculous. Our local KB got many ML's in and when my friend stepped in to check them out, the store manager said " I have them ALL on hold for a local guy who collects them. We're talking about 20 cases. She said there is no one nearby but him who collects them. BULL HOCKEY!!!! I cant say the other word....so, he went on to tell her that there are others who collect them as well. He even used to drive an hr away to a store she used to manage to get ML's she would hold for him. and she says no one collects these nearby? Well, Im going by tomorrow, and if she has sold them all to this one guy, what do you think I am gonna do? Im gonna get on the 1800 KB line and have my words with customer service. Thats sorry because I am wanting to pick up a few for my collection and for trade

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 cases of what though? :D

thats a pretty crazy amount either way! Don't worry though I am sure they left some pegwarmers for you :P Why would they even have the cases out though, I would think they would keep them in the back someplace if they were on hold... Seems like a rather silly run in either way all in all. The fact that theres two or so of you there wanting to look at them should go to show that theres not just one guy who collectes them :P

Not only that but 20 cases seems like a lot for just one guy as well even if he does "collect" why would she order that many on a whim or what? :D seems more than likely shes a scalpey working for a lcs or some such. specialy if it was the latest waves 14,15 with the variants :(

let me say this, I think the district manager would like to ehar it.....but Im just almost sick about that...i mean, it amde me cuss when I dont usually cuss about things like that. I left her my number so she could call me and she said she would when she had a list of what she had left..well....she never called.

let me say this, I think the district manager would like to ehar it.....but Im just almost sick about that...i mean, it amde me cuss when I dont usually cuss about things like that. I left her my number so she could call me and she said she would when she had a list of what she had left..well....she never called.

Well, it's been two hours since you posted...

And just because you gave her your number today, doesn't mean the stuff's getting picked up today. You're also assuming this manager is an ethical person. I am quite ethical myself, but there are times when I would like to be unethical as well (especially when working for a Bank and a guy offers me $1000 for doing his 100+ million dollar wire for him)... But a manager in retail might also have ways to "skim off the top" Say she sells her 20 cases for $80 per case. She charges the guy $80 per case, and then there's a donation of $5 per case on top of that. It could turn into a very profitable way to sell toys at a toy store...

-Kevin

UPDATE!!!!

I called her back this morning as soon as shop opened. Come to find out that all cases were sold. Just like my friend said. Sh had them all sold before they came outta the box. I asked her what they had left. She said they only had showdown figures. ok, a collector isnt gonna have more than 1 certain character figure on his shelf. SO this dude is a scalper/ebayer. I called customer service and let them have it!!!! Im supposed to be getting a call back from the district manager. If that doesnt happen, I will call again. and again. This just makes me sick!!!!!

Having been a KB Toys store manager in the past, i can pretty much garuntee they did not get 20 casesof marvel legends. I was the manager of several stores, one being a high volume and never got more than 8 cases of one item at a time. They probably got movie figures and classics as well, not to mention the endless supply of bump and go.

As for holding item, it was up to the manager's discretion. If it was a garunteed big sale, and it would help make the day, then chances are it would be held. You would be better off making friends than making enemies. And since they sold out of everything this time, chances are they will be replenished on the following truck anyway. Make friends and i am sure you will get some figures.

Yeah, 20 cases sounded like an exxageration to me, too. TRU's don't even get that much stock in at once. Does suck they sold it all to one individual, though. From the store's perspective, that is a quick and easy sale to pump up the numbers that day. Still, I doubt TRU, Target or Wal-Mart would let someone do that.

ya try calling again and seeing if she knows when she will get more in and if she could posably hold them till you get there to have a look. Then figure out what you are gona do or not based on that repsons :D

ya try calling again and seeing if she knows when she will get more in and if she could posably hold them till you get there to have a look. Then figure out what you are gona do or not based on that repsons :D

As someone who has tried this approach I can tell you the line they gave me: "We're in the dark as much as you are. We don't know what comes in until the warehouse sends us the prinout the night before the truck gets here. Try coming in first thing in the mornings on Tuesday and Thursdays". I would be interested to hear if you get something different from them. Another KB manager said that they used to hold items but now they did away with that policy because too many people asked for things to be held and never came for them. It's hard to tell what's what but it sounds to me like a lot just depends on the manager running the store and dumb luck.

I would just have my friend Betty hit her in the mouth. She's one tough dame. That would make her think twice. Then, I'd go after the scalper. Greed begets violence...

make friends with a gal who thinks she's a little too good? yeh, ok.....The 20 cases did end up being all toybiz marvel related, but the most of it was ML's. You guys dont understand that she knows the few that go in and out of there who only buy Marvel. I dont buy anything un less its Marvel related. Everyone knows that who works there. So, she gives it all to a guy who wants it all. Its not even on shelves. I called customer serive and told them I didnt appreciate that being the long time customr I am. So, the district manager is supposed to get back to me. So you ask about making friends instead of making enemies? Well, I dunno about making friends just to get Marvel Legends, but I deserved to be treated just like any other customer who shops there. I worked at Walmart once and many items couldn't be sold like that. It was limited.

make friends with a gal who thinks she's a little too good? yeh, ok.....The 20 cases did end up being all toybiz marvel related, but the most of it was ML's. You guys dont understand that she knows the few that go in and out of there who only buy Marvel. I dont buy anything un less its Marvel related. Everyone knows that who works there. So, she gives it all to a guy who wants it all. Its not even on shelves. I called customer serive and told them I didnt appreciate that being the long time customr I am. So, the district manager is supposed to get back to me. So you ask about making friends instead of making enemies? Well, I dunno about making friends just to get Marvel Legends, but I deserved to be treated just like any other customer who shops there. I worked at Walmart once and many items couldn't be sold like that. It was limited.

Well, you do understand that her priority is to makes a sale, rather than make a friend.

If she's continually turning over 20 cases to one person, as opposed to selling a few items to you, or another person, that--in terms of just numbers--weighs more than your patronage--even if you've been shopping there longer.

That's the sorry fact in this.

Now......when you talk to the district manager--don't make as big as fuss about that.......because they'll be thinking about those numbers too. What can hit them is your patronage, and the patronage of those around you.

Collectively, your voice and the voice of your family, friends and associates adds up to a potential loss they might not want to suffer. Esspecially if you make it clear that store WILL be denied your patronage unless things change.

That's really your only leverage in this case--as they will only respond to that kind of impact to their sales. Otherwise, they are still turning over more product than you alone can buy, and there'd be no reason for them to change how they do things.

I dunno this "scalper" sounds fine to me. He's buying the good.. sure, but he's also getting all the bad. I hate the scalpers that pull the chases and leave the peg warmers... it's not like an ML series was hard to find (except maybe 6 and 7). Put yourself in kb's shoes, would you rather sell maybe 1 or 2 select figures to one collector and then have to worry about all the crap rotting on the pegs, or would you sell the entire case to a guy and not worry about it. And 20 cases? C'mon KB would be lucky to get 1 case of ML.

Just buy your figures from wal-mart or something.

You should probably do a search on evilBay for local sellers selling complete sets of Marvel Legends. You'll probably find them all there. Unless it is a comic shop guy who is doing alot of price tagging right now.

I used to be a store manager also for KBtoys back years ago. My former boss used to have a list of dealers in the area to do what everyone else has said. If we got a big Hot Wheels shipment, I was supposed to call these people. I threw that list in the trash. First come, first serve. Unless I knew you were a dealer. Then I ousted the jerks and called security when they got mouthy. One HW scumbag dealer hung around the employee doors eyeballing the boxes we were bringing in from a shipment. We got into it and I ended up throwing him out too. It gave me a little satisfaction getting these guys all hot and bothered when I upper handed them. Probably not too many employees do that.

Anyone who doesn't believe they got alot in, they probably got quite a few cases. Don't forget where KBs put all there money......closeouts. Toy Biz is practically giving away all of their Marvel stock so KBs took all of it I am sure. Smart move. Too bad all I need is variant FO2's.

I dunno this "scalper" sounds fine to me. He's buying the good.. sure, but he's also getting all the bad. I hate the scalpers that pull the chases and leave the peg warmers... it's not like an ML series was hard to find (except maybe 6 and 7). Put yourself in kb's shoes, would you rather sell maybe 1 or 2 select figures to one collector and then have to worry about all the crap rotting on the pegs, or would you sell the entire case to a guy and not worry about it. And 20 cases? C'mon KB would be lucky to get 1 case of ML.

Just buy your figures from wal-mart or something.

most likely a lcs or ebayer who makes sets and sells them for more :D

My LCS does that but he orders in his own cases :P

It is a shame the KB store would do that, but from a business standpoint I can see why they would.

BUT if you have a legitimate, sincere and serious customer (mynameisash in this case) who is interested she should do better to accomadate them. Even bigger stores like Target make it a point to say that collectible items can be limited to anyone person at their discretion.

Hopefully you will get some help on this. Sounds like the manager lady there is being a bit of a pill. Besides, why couldnt she just SPLIT the cases up. I mean, if there are in fact 20 cases going to one person, or hell even 4, why not split them up between the interested parties?

I would offer her some cash per case if needbe.

As someone who has tried this approach I can tell you the line they gave me: "We're in the dark as much as you are. We don't know what comes in until the warehouse sends us the prinout the night before the truck gets here. Try coming in first thing in the mornings on Tuesday and Thursdays". I would be interested to hear if you get something different from them. Another KB manager said that they used to hold items but now they did away with that policy because too many people asked for things to be held and never came for them. It's hard to tell what's what but it sounds to me like a lot just depends on the manager running the store and dumb luck.

Speaking from past experience, that is true. I remember we used to have no idea what was coming on the turck until the day before.

my good buddy on here told me that our local KB got many and many cases of ML figures in. I was one of those who lost his job over a yr ago and had to sell his collection to pay bills. once I got an even better job, I began collecting again...still many of you arent very supportive in helping me catch up even when I offer cash.

Thats sorry because I am wanting to pick up a few for my collection and for trade

I guess my first question is, why do you think that the people here owe it to you to rebuild your collection?? I mean that's kind of a poor me attitude! I mean sorry for your bout of bad luck, but stuff like that happens, and to actually get snippy because people don't want to help rebuild your collection is well stupid!! I mean are you looking for figures at cost?? Did you sell your collection at cost, or did you try to get the most out of to help you during your time of need?? Just so many questions, and so many variables, that to have this attitude is poor indeed!

Anyhow, I do agree that what she did was crappy!! But you got to look at it from her view. If she can seel 20 complete cases, and not allow for returns, then she made a huge profit at a time when profits in toy stores are again down! Tell me were you willing to take an entire case?? You should have told her that you would! If not, how many would you have wanted to look through to find the ones you wanted, ie the variants?? Once you got the ones you wanted, if you found any, that would leave her with that much stuff to stock!!

If you are willing to buy a case, use your cell phone next time and call their corporate number or the district supervisor!! Don't wait a day to go back and complain once the items are sold, take care of it right there and then!!

Time to chime in.

OK, I see the point of view that the store would make a profit. I mean it is a business and that is the goal.

BUT, think about it. If this happened to ANY of us, we would raise h@ll!!

Without basic customer service and fair policy, there wouldn't be a customer base for any store to begin with. When I go to the store to pick up something, I don't expect them to roll out the red carpet, but I DO expect a fair shot at finding what I want.

What the manager did was immoral and repellant from the perspective of any toy collector.

It also reeks of favoritism and a kind of "F You!!" attitude to customers.

Here's another thought we as collectors too soon forget: toys are for kids.

If I took my child in any store to buy her, let's say, a Ben 10 Ghostfreak, and was told "We have 20 cases of Ghostfreak but we CAN'T SELL YOU ANY OF THEM", I would lose my s#!t, and be ready to go at it with the manager, district manger, regional manager, WHOEVER!

Why? Because it is bad policy to alienate and piss on your customers.

Interesting...

I'm not sure that kids care about variants and articulation when it comes to their toys. MLs were designed for an older fanbase, I'm guessing 12 and up. Kids have plenty of options out there. They could care less about MLs or other collectible figures. Let us adults have some fun too. Who's to say why this fella wanted access to these figures. His money is just as good as the other guy's. Maybe if KB didn't charge so much for their stuff, it'd sell better, and their stores wouldn't be closing up shop. Either way, it's wrong of this lady to decide who is or isn't worthy of such sacred findings. That's bunk...

Time to chime in.

OK, I see the point of view that the store would make a profit. I mean it is a business and that is the goal.

BUT, think about it. If this happened to ANY of us, we would raise h@ll!!

Without basic customer service and fair policy, there wouldn't be a customer base for any store to begin with. When I go to the store to pick up something, I don't expect them to roll out the red carpet, but I DO expect a fair shot at finding what I want.

What about the contract arrangement between two other parties is unfair to you? That's really the crux of this.

An arrangement was made between the retailer and a customer for "20 cases", and the complaintant wasn't included on the deal. A legal sale was made, the retailer was in their rights to sell to WHOEVER they chose, the customer secured the goods as by their rights--I assume money changed hands sealing the contract........where is there any call to judge this deal or have a say in it?

That the complaintant didn't get some?

Why hasn't anyone suggested this: Ask the retailer to order more. Commit your dollars to them and make YOUR OWN arrangement. Isn't that how commerce is supposed to work?

What the manager did was immoral and repellant from the perspective of any toy collector.

It also reeks of favoritism and a kind of "F You!!" attitude to customers

Why should one being a toy collector be relevant to this situation?

C'mon, seriously, that almost.........ALMOST suggests the retailer should sell only to certain kinds of people, or allocated limits to customers?

Why?

Why should they place limitations on THEIR ability to sell goods? Why impose a arbitrary RISK to their business when this retailer struck a deal with a single customer to minimize that risk and move 20 cases of product?

That's absurd and suicidal for business. There's no guarantee they'd get the numbers of customers in the door to sell those goods. In business terms, what this retailer did was actually quite savvy.

She had no idea that the complaintant was going to come in the door, no idea of their spending habits, or their interest in buying. How can she gauge intent here?

OF COURSE she is going to favour the person who has cash in hand and who is ready to buy.

She really acted in her own best interest and the interest of her business---and she's condemn for it?

Only toy collectors would do that to someone.

We don't rant when the last refridgerator is sold before we get there, or the last stereo, can of soup, or pair of socks. It only happens with collectibles.

If the stuff was sold to kids, or a family, or 20 teens, or ONE teen or kid, would their be cause to rant?

No.

The fact that it was sold to one other adult buyer is simply irrelevant.

Collectors often have their heads up their own asses with entitlement mindsets.

Here's another thought we as collectors too soon forget: toys are for kids.
Since when?

Does that mean an umbrella is only for a woman, golf clubs only for a man?

Is purchasing meant to be segregated by some kind of class? Again, this is just absurd. ANY product for sale can be sold to anyone, subject to guidelines based on content like porn or toxins, because the law assumes both parties in a contract to be equal.

This is like saying that candy is for kids.........

Why? Because it is bad policy to alienate and piss on your customers.

Well, this is about the only sensible point you have made.

What should have been done in this case was to offer the complaintant the very next items ordered in. If more of the same goods were expected, then an offer of some of those items could have smoothed things over.

If there was a conflict between the complaintant and another client seeking to buy up some of the others order, then stating UP FRONT that purchasing would be first come, first served if there's not enough goods to go around would be fair. If a deposit was made to secure items, that too would be fair, but not necessarily legally binding.

Now, that did NOT happen in this case.

And the retailer isn't obliged in any way to do this from the beginning.

She is risking her future orders on this one person ordering similar case amounts, and if they find a better deal elsewhere.......she's outa luck. THAT is her mistake to make though.

If the complaintant had a prior agreement to buy some of the goods, and she sold the whole shipment to someone else, THEN he'd have justification for his rant because of the implied agreement.

I have an arrangement not unlike the fellow mentioned above. I have a handshake deal to get Marvel Legends figures in with a local store of mine. He sets aside one of each of every set , just for me. I'm the first person offered variants. I could buy whole cases , if I chose to, but I don't. He's guarantees me he'll put them aside and I GUARANTEE I will but them from him. Symbiotic relationship its called.

If anyone else objects..........too bad. Its my arrangment, they can make their own.

Customers have come in and asked about items, and been told they have only one in and its on hold. If they object to that its not my concern--I've made my committment to the retailer and I've never broken it.

IF, by some chance that I do break it, then that arrangement goes poof, and the goods are up for grabs.

That's the essence of fairness.

I think the problem here is more with the person doing the complaining. That they didn't think to act before this other party did and now they are left wanting. Really, that's too bad.

He can ASK that some fairness be enacted, that some product be reserved, but without a monetary committment or pre-established relationship with the retailer, there's just nothing beholding the retailer to do be "fair".

That's just plain ol' business.

The only leverage he has is his patronage and the collective buying power of his friends and family.

If the chain and retailer don't consider that to be a risk to them they will not change a thing.