30th Anniversary Han and Luke in Stormtrooper Armor

Whitewolf

HanandLukeStormtroopers001.jpg

Okay, okay. Before everyone reading this starts wondering how this awesome two-pack slipped under their radar, I have a confession to make...

They're not real. @firedevil@

Well...they're real, but they just aren't part of Hasbro's official lineup. In truth, these are kitbashed (and very simple kitbashes at that). Two things inspired the creation of these customs today. The first was the Toys-R-Us 2-day President's Day sale where ALL Star Wars items were buy-1-get-1-free. That included figures, vehicles, lightsabers, battle packs, and anything else that has the Star Wars logo emblazoned on it. But I digress. The second was Marvel Star Wars Comic #1.

I'll enlighten you all...

While I was straightening the Star Wars section for the umpteenth time today, I stopped briefly to inspect the comic two-packs. I looked at the Han/Chewie set and sighed because I simply didn't like the fact that Hasbro had chosen to release Han Stormtrooper with such a cheesy paint scheme. As I was straightening the Collector Tin sets, I noticed that the "clean" Sandtrooper in the ANH tin was the same exact figure as the one used for the comic Han. Then I remembered that the Sandtrooper had a removable helmet and a Jango head underneath.

That was when the lightbulb went on above my head! I bought a ANH Collector Tin set and got the second one free...took them home tonight, popped their heads off, and replaced them with a VOTC Han and Luke head. And voila: VOTC Han and Luke Stormies. No repainting, no sanding, no nothing. The heads were a tad snug at first, but fit over the ball socket neck joint just fine. And the helmets fit over their heads without any problem whatsoever. I know that some of you will point out that the necks are a bit too long, but this is not because of the head-swapping. Rather its because a bit of room was needed to accomodate the Sandtrooper shoulder paldron. Several Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers also have this "giraffe-neck" malady for this very same reason...

One of the oddest (and most movie-accurate) differences between the two Stormtrooper bodies is that the one that became Luke is actually shorter than Han. It wasn't the height at which the heads sit atop the ball-sockets. The shoulders are actually at different heights. So when VOTC Leia asks Luke if he's a little short for a Stormtrooper, that is indeed the case! @stormtrooper@

HanandLukeStormtroopers003.jpg

HanandLukeStormtroopers004.jpg

If anyone at Hasbro is listening to their customer base, these are some of the goods we'd love to see. Scene-specific figures with great articulation can actually work together in rare cases such as this.

HanandLukeStormtroopers002.jpg

Cool! I had to make a decision today, dcsh Steel or the star wars han 2 pack. I chose Steel. I still want the han stormtrooper but I don't want to start another line, and the marvel colors would just make it stand out of my collection. I'd be tempted to do this but my budget needs to come down. Knowing hasbro they'll rerelease them just like this not too long in the future (probably sometime in 2007 :P)

They look great without the blue and red on them.

The unfortunate thing about scene-specific figures like these is that (based on past incarnations of them) the powers-that-be at Hasbro seem to feel that static "Unleased" style posing is best. The last time there was a Han/Luke Stormtrooper set was as part of a snap-together diorama...and Luke had a dianoga tentacle glued to him. Not exactly useful in any other dio beyond the trash compactor. For years, we've been wishing that the VOTC/VTSC super articulation would become the norm for all Star Wars figures, and from what we've seen of the upcoming Force Unleashed collection, every single one of the new figures have the ball-socket limbs, necks, torsos, etc. that we've come to expect from the vintage-style figures.

Hopefully we'll see these two figures in a two-pack or as part of a future "Escape from Detention Block AA23" or "Rescue the Princess" Battlepack...and using these same parts, and not the inferior Georgetrooper body.