Saw Ghost Rider tonight and I think......

gruntcast

Eva Mendes is a horrible actress! This movie proved it. And why would the devil give his bounty hunter powers like the penance stare? Whats the diff if they are guilty or innocent, a souls a soul as fas as the devil is concerned!

Well, I'm pretty sure Mendes doesn't get roles because she's the next Meryl Streep. She's hot, which is good enough for me.

GR had the penance stare in the comics (Ketch version I think) so why wouldn't it be in the movie? I hate when comic book movies put in stuff that actually happened in the comics, lol...

OMG! ZOOM! Totally over your head! WHY does he have the penance stare? THATS WHAT I AM ASKING!!!!!! I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE COMICS DUDE!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN I SAY.........why would the devil give his bounty hunter powers like the penance stare? Whats the diff if they are guilty or innocent, a souls a soul as fas as the devil is concerned!

It must have been over my head. I assumed you weren't familiar w/ the comics because the other alternative was you were asking why something in a COMIC BOOK wasn't REALISTIC?!?! You have seriously got to be kidding me. It is a friggin' comic book, dude. How many "realistic" comic books have you read?

Why doesn't anyone notice that Clark Kent looks just like Superman except w/ a pair of glasses on? Why doesn't anyone question why Peter Parker always disappears when there is a crime being commited? How does Tony Stark get a big suit of iron to fly around? These all seem like really dumb questions don't they? Well, you can add your question right behind any of those...

We know none of this stuff is realistic and wouldn't make sense in the "real world," but we accept it because we like it for whatever reason...it's called suspension of disbelief. @hmmm@

I dont think its too much to ask for realistic explanations, otherwise, why bother with continuity or anything! Poor explanations are a sure sign of a poor writer. Just look at what Alan Moore did with characters like Swamp Thing. He made him a great character w/o throwing away his history.

And it was explained WHY no one ever figured out that Clark Kent & Supers are one & the same. Everyone in the DC universe just assumes that Superman is Superman 24/7. He does not have a secret ID. John Byrne explained this way back when.......

It seems to me that some of the powers that Ghost Rider has are goofy (Penance stare which is a Daniel Ketch thing). I was looking for someone that is really familiar with the character to explain how he obtained this power.

Well I never got a chance to read through the entire GR storyline but if I were to guess a reason for the penance stare it would be this...

What happens to you in hell? Aren't the damned supposed to be tormented for their sins? The penance stare is a form of torture in a way. It makes the guilty feel all the pain they caused others.

So it would make perfect sense for an agent of hell to have this power. Think of it as giving the guilty a taste of things to come.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I never got a chance to read through the entire GR storyline but if I were to guess a reason for the penance stare it would be this...

What happens to you in hell? Aren't the damned supposed to be tormented for their sins? The penance stare is a form of torture in a way. It makes the guilty feel all the pain they caused others.

So it would make perfect sense for an agent of hell to have this power. Think of it as giving the guilty a taste of things to come.

OK, this makes sense! @peace@ @bounce@

Does using the Penance Stare send the victim straight to hell? Is that how GR collects souls?

What I thought about the movie:

It was a little too short. As mentioned before, the bad guys lost to easily. The wind guy never even got any offense in. Worst henchmen than Azriel and Scruple from the Smurfs!

Johnny Blaze aged horribly. The younger version of him was so much better looking. The younger version of Eva Mendes looked right though.

GR is a pretty corny Spirit of Vengenance. The voice is good, but he should stop cackling like Skeltor.

The pimp Mephistopheles was just too funny. People in the theater cracked up in the end when he slammed his pimp cane to the ground and disappeared. Only a true pimp like him would wear a ruby ring over leather gloves.

But it was pretty entertaining on a boring Saturday night.

I just saw the movie and like it overall. The dialogues are corny at times, Cage is old as hell, and bad guys are pushovers. But CGI is awesome, Ghost Rider kicks ass, and Eva's Cleavages need no introduction. She's hotter than GR in this movie. So I'd have to give it thumbs up and say it's a very entertaining movie.

am I the only one who doesn't think Eva is hot? she has a huge head!

and I thought the movie was horrible...total cheesefest. couldn't wait for the movie to be over 20 minutes into it.

I don't think she's the hottest, but she certainly isn't bad. There's a lot worse..cough, cough..Lindsay Lohan..cough, cough.

it's Mephisto, the devil, if he wants to take that power of the Ghost Rider back, all he has to do is snap his fingers and its gone. He's all powerful.

Not quite. Certinatly not in Christianity but i realize this "devil" is mephisito more than lucifer. But even in the movie he wasn't all powerful and that was part of the plot. He couldn't make the Slade Ghost rider tell him where that contract was. His power is in lies, it's a game. Gr realized that and kept the powers to use against him, the devil could do nothing about it. (he can't see the future either) (sorry if someone already mentioned this)

anyways...

I really enjoyed the movie Blaze really was a mocking of celebrities and i enjoyed that, the gr voice was a bit hokey. I enjoyed the evolution of his "costume" the ending was a bit quick but it was still enjoyable. I keep seeing daredevil mentioned, i loved the movie, flawless... in till the stained glass scene and that was just too over the top. I'm thankful this ending was a lot better.

The director should have been hung.

Even the extra's seemed like they didn't have any direction.

My 10 year old nephew could have written this movie.

The only thing I enjoyed was the design of ghost rider and his bike. The rest (this includes acting, story, cinematography, etc.) was absolute crap. I don't understand how someone looks at a script like that...a movie made out of nothing but corny one liners...and says, "yeah! this sounds like a great movie! I'd love to be a part of it!"

I'm pretty faithful to marvel movies. I'll defend pretty much all of them to a point..even hulk and punisher....but this movie was the final straw!

Crap...through and through.