Saw Ghost Rider tonight and I think......

gruntcast

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the movie. It had some laughs and some great action shots. The biggest problem I had was I felt the end was sort of rushed (the end battle) also Nic Cage is funny but some of it was a little forced and corny. But overall I enjoyed the movies and would suggest any Comic fan go and see it. It was sold out the first time I tried to watch.

I too felt the ending was...lacking. But upon reflection, I think they were trying to capture how Roxxane saved Johnny from be takin by Mephisto in the first GR run (since in the movie she brought Johnny the gun and even popped off a few shots).

Mostly, I think they established the character and orgins for this movie, and left it open for a sequal, mabey Vengence or Lilith?

I loved it. i've been waiting for this movie since late 90's and it was great. i dont agree with any of the reviews at all. i thought cage did a great job. reading ghost rider (blaze) i found it hard to get a personality for the character. i think cage gave him great personality. i loved the suttle little things and jokes like him flipping off the cops. it was really a good movie. better than what the reviews say.

oh man, I LOVED it! great cast (even Nic Cage), great story, awesome music, killer special effects.

the origin was just fine... not too rushed, but also brief enough that we could get on with the real meat of the story. (his origin's not THAT complex, after all.) Mephisto and Blackheart had this great ethereal, alien quality that i liked... i especially liked how the movie succeeded in showing them as if they weren't really there and your eyes were playing tricks on you when you saw them. the demon henchmen were passable... but i appreciated them a lot because they gave GR someone in his league to square off with (unlike the Hulk and Fantastic Four movies where we had to wait pretty much until the end for the characters to have worthy super-battles).

i liked Cage's Johnny Blaze because i think he captured what i think Blaze is like... he's a fairly depressed, self-torturing fellow, but he's also a little awkward around people, because he's spent his entire adult life distancing himself from people. he's bottled-up and doesn't really know how to talk to people, and his tact sort of suffers for it (i.e., the interview, his police interrogation, explaining why he didn't make his date), but i did think making him a TV addict (with a thing for monkeys apparently?) was one step a little too far.

and Eva Mendez TOTALLY owned this movie. she wasn't just a bystander, she really was honestly and usefully involved in the story. and aside from that, there's the added bonus that she's completely unable to not look smokin' hot, lol. the crowd in the theater cheered every single time she came onscreen

the transformation sequences were great, the look of everything was awesome, and what's more, it actually plays out like a Ghost Rider story would in the comics. ancient relics, power-mad demonic villains, questionable allies, love interest, and gallows humor? all were common to both the movie and the comics.

all in all i say i'm very pleased with this film. i'm still deciding if it bumps Spider-Man 2 out of the number one slot on my top list of favorite hero films. :)

I saw Ghost Rider yesterday afternoon and while only really familiar with him from the few appearances in Marvel cartoons, I was very entertained. Loved how Johnny always had those yellow and red jelly beans everywhere and ate them usually from a wine glass and stuff. Brought some more humor to the story aside from Cage's acting in various scenes.

I also like how they tied in the Carter Slade Ghost Rider in the story and thought when both Ghost Riders were riding across the desert was one of the coolest scenes in the movie, though I was kinda hoping both would be fighting in the end against Blackheart.

Truthfully, I'm surprised at the apparent bashings of the movie I've been hearing about. The CG was very well done with the flaming skull, hints of Blackheart and Mephisto's demon forms, the three goons of Blackheart...everything was good. People apparently are just spoiled by amazing CG now and expect something to constantly blow their mind. Think about it...if they had tried to do movies like Spider-Man or Ghost Rider back in the 80s or early 90s...they obviously wouldn't come off anywhere near as good as they have.

Heck, just look at the Marvel movies before Blade came out... Dolph Lungren Punsiher, Captain America, Corman's Fantastic Four... Now look back at the new versions of Punisher and F4, etc...

I don't know when I'll get to see it, but I'll see it soon.

I love how so many people bash Cage. My favorite is when they say that every character he plays is basically the same...NOT!

As least no more so than most other actors do.

I wouldn't say his character in Raising Arizona was anything like that in Face Off. His character in Valley Girl was probably nothing like his Blaze in GR. His character in Kiss Of Death nothing like he was in The Rock, or Con Air.

I've seen a lot of his movies and there's a lot I haven't seen. But I would NEVER say that all the characters he plays are alike. Even if they were, he still gets work because he has the look and manner that the film makers are looking for the roles they have open, just like so many other actors.

I saw the movie last night with a couple of friends and I thought that it was pretty good. It's up there with Daredevil for me, and I tought DD was pretty cool. The way some of the scenes were paced and shot really made me feel as though I was reading a comic book that was playing itself out. I thought it had a great story to it, but the only problem I had was with the ending.

When Mephiso says that he's going to take the power back, Blaze says something along the lines of, "No, any blood that will be spilt will be that of my father's, I will take this curse and make it my own." I didn't entirely understand what he was trying to say, I got the general idea, but a lot of people around me seemed to be confused by his statement. Plus, it's Mephisto, the devil, if he wants to take that power of the Ghost Rider back, all he has to do is snap his fingers and its gone. He's all powerful.

I thought the movie was definitely worth seeing, the shots in some of the scenes were very iconic, and the villains were very cool.

Nuff Said

I was very entertained, whether I thought it was good or not is another story entirely. I thought it was tastelessly corny and just about everyone in the theater I was with agreed, twas a ball full of laughs after it ended. But my friends and I went to see it BECAUSE we knew it would be a straight up abortion of a film and wanted some laughs. Then I'm sorry but the guy who played Blackheart was a horrible actor, grade A Star Wars Prequel quality there. As for how anyone could take this seriously well….I guess you’d have to be a comic book fan. I mean the movie was so corny at some points that I literally wasn't sure if they were even trying to be serious, and everything out of Ghost Riders mouth I just couldn't take seriously also. I mean....did you all know he had that much of a humorous side to him? I sure as heck didn't.

^^^^yea im sorry for making the other point on the thread about critics smashing this movie,but this movie was mad corny, all the villians died way to easy and it was funny when he says '' LOOK INTO MY EYES'' or when he points to the person ''GUILLTY'' and the ending......... well i forgot how it ended

^^^^yea im sorry for making the other point on the thread about critics smashing this movie, all the villians died way to easy and it was funny when he says '' LOOK INTO MY EYES'' or when he points to the person ''GUILLTY'' and it was corny on how it ended, well i forgot how it ended

Everything out of his mouth made me laugh. A lot of people laugh actually....whether what he said was funny or not didn't matter. Heck I'd go as far as to say the better written part was the love story. I was more honestly entertained by that. The Ghost Rider parts themselves were just.....corny.

^^^^yea im sorry for making the other point on the thread about critics smashing this movie,but this movie was mad corny, all the villians died way to easy and it was funny when he says '' LOOK INTO MY EYES'' or when he points to the person ''GUILLTY'' and the ending......... well i forgot how it ended

Name a Nicholas Cage movie where he doesn't have corny lines.

I thought the movie was great. I'd definitely love to see a sequel made.

I liked it but sometimes it felt a bit like a made for TV movie. Some of the Blackheart and Mephisto lines were a bit awkward. I didn't think Peter Fonda was a good choice for the devil. He seemed a bit too frail and his acting wasn't quite strong enoguh. I thought Cage did a very good job and that Eve Mendes is a real cutey. The effects were good though I'm surprised some of the more startling images didn't bump the rating up to an R.

I saw the movie yesterday and it definitely was a good movie overall. I ve liked most of the marvel movies that have been put out. But most of them arent really as memorable as others. I think this one was extremely visually appealing and for the most part very likable characters. I only read some of the older GR comics but not alot so i m not as close to this as say xmen or even spiderman. So as a movie it was sweet. Im glad it didnt really look awkward compositing cages face and at times hands out to put in flames and a skull..

go see it if you havent yet... EFF the reviewers.. they only review movies in their overall aspect... not because they know anything about the actual topic it covers.

Okay...Nic Cage has never done a sequel! And he said he never would... Truth be told, he said it would have to be a STELLAR opening for him to reconsider. But to tell the truth I'd like to see someone dopey play Danny Ketch in the sequel...like Chris Klein or something! Oh yeah, Danny and Johnny just so happened to be "long-lost" brothers!!! Chris Klein as Cage's little brother? Who's with me?!

Oh yeah...Nuff Said; The Dream WM would be:

My Dream WM:

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat vs Eddie Gurrero(Sky High match)

Ultimate Warrior vs Sting(Facepaint Match)

Undertaker vs Goldberg (Casket Match)

Mankind vs. Sabu (ECW vs. WWE-Ass out match; i.e. anything goes)

Jeff Jarret vs Rowdy Roddy Piper (Battle for the Best Heel)

Macho Man vs Chris Jericho (Battle for the Best IC Champ)

Rob Van Dam vs Bret Hart (Extreme Rules)

Road Warriors Hawk and Animal vs Jeff and Matt Hardy (Tag team Titles, TLC Match)

Medusa vs. Trish Stratus (Women's title)

Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels (WCW vs WWF, Three Stages of Hell, 60 Min Iron Man Match, Hell in a Cell, Ladder Matches)

Hulk Hogan vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (WWE Title)

Rock vs. John Cena (World Championship-Biggest Pop Match)

Saw it last night with RC and we both enjoyed it. I loved Eva's HAWTNESS, and thought Nic Cage's acting was not bad at all. The corny moments were throwaways and the action was pretty good. THe CGI was INCREDIBLE since flames are NOT easy to do. The two Riders toward the end was KICKASS and I can definately see MUCH BETTER sequels out of this. I think GR 2 will be to Ghost Rider what Spiderman 2 was to Spidey.

I went yesterday to see it with the wife & kids & we all enjoyed it alot! I went into this with much enthusiasm as GR is a Marvel character I've long wanted to see in a live action movie.

The movie's CGI effects were astounding & IMO, they brought the GR to life! The flame effects were some of the best if not the best fire/flame effects ever! The scene where both Ghost riders are side by side en route to fight Blackheart was totally awesome!

While the fight scenes weren't as many as I woulda wanted, most of them were pretty cool , I especially winced when one of the demons smashed a truck into GR & I loved the way GR used the chains & I was especially happy they included his penance stare!

I could care less what the critics say, this movie was entertaining & one of the best Marvel movies yet!

I look forward to a sequel!

PS Iva Mendes was extremely caliente!

I just got back watching Ghost Rider and I have to say Ghost Rider is a great start for 2007's comic book based movies.

Before watching it I have my doubts with Mark Steven Johnson directing the movie. I guess he did learn something after DareDevil and Elektra.

He seems to be better working for super nature stuff than action or realistic materials.

Anyway back to the main topic. I was expecting an awesome kick ass script like Batman Begins and I do think GR emphasize on CG effects. The whole changing Nick Cage to Ghost Rider was really cool! The burning skull looks believable. You might feel that the skull looks a bit small compared to the body at first but when you thing about it, that is the right scale of a human head minus the flesh and tissues.

The story was better than I thought. However, I do feel the same with some of you guys. The ending seemed a bit rush. Mephisto offered to end Johnny's curse and instead he tends to keep it and then Mephisto leaves angrily... It just too plain and too obvious that its done on purpose for a future sequel.

I was watching the movie with my bud that knows nothing about comics and he enjoyed the movie and had a great time. I'm betting that Ghost Rider's box office will do a lot better than the critics expect.