ouch... Ghost Rider flick getting slammed by the critics

pastwatch2001

I usually tend to check on the rating on idmb.com. At least thats a more general opinion from the public.

Some critics miss judge movies to and often accuse the director, script or actor to stand out from other critics.

However, Mark Steven Johnson isn't the best director out there. He made DareDevil and Electra. DD's dir. cut was good but still have its flaws. As for Electra.....did anyone actually watched it?

I'm expecting good CG in the Ghost Rider movie. I dont have much hopes on the script. Nick Cage is an ok actor. He'll be ok in GR.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they gave spiderman horrible reviews and look at how great that was

Damn....I thought Reed was inspired casting. Hated the idea of Jessica Alba at first, but she wasnt terrible. Doom was all I hated. I'm really looking forward to FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I agree with you there.

although Doom played him as well as he could, i mean doom was a self serving fake guy in it.

So I'm not the only who hates Nicholas Cage? Thanks, Kamendreda!

Seriously, the guy always has that one damn look on his face. He uses it for happy, sad, angry, whatever...

I shook my fist when I first heard that he was playing Johnny Blaze. Blaze is supposed to be a cool, sunglasses wearing, designer stubbled guy (hey, I read him in the 90s), not this stone faced old dude.

My friend has suggested that I bring a papercut out of another actor to the movie and hold it over Cage's face.

Ghost Rider is bombing. I knew it would bomb from the first preview I saw of it. I knew that with the Fantastic Four and Daredevil. Usually if the film doesn't have anything compelling about it, the preview will reflect as such. I'm always hoping to be pleasently surprised with one of these films. Guess its just not Ghost Rider.

LMAO. There's an insightful opinion. A movie you haven't seen yet that has been out for LESS THAN 24 HOURS is already a bomb.

I have an opinion, too, after actually seeing the movie (weird, huh). It was middle of the road. It is not even in the league of Spider-man, but it is quite a bit better than Elektra, contrary to what has been suggested. GR is a third-tier character that got a modest budget and an average director...did anyone really expect a Best Picture Nomination? Get real. It is definitely worth seeing. There are some cheesy lines (and everyone of them were meant to be). The action sequences are really good and the CGI was done fairly well. I would have preferred a rated-R darker version, but we all know that doesn't appeal to a mass audience which these movies MUST do in order to make money (which in turn leads to more comic book movies being made). Anyone who expects differently should have paid better attention in their Economics 101 class.

My friend has suggested that I bring a papercut out of another actor to the movie and hold it over Cage's face.

You might wanna take a paper cutout that covers the ENTIRE screen instead... @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

The movie simply is what it is, as biglebowski suggested. I love it when people rag on a movie when A.) they haven't seen it or B.) they aren't even planning on seeing it.

Overall, the movie was pretty cheap. Was it enjoyable at least? Barely. There was enough CGI to keep you at least looking forward to more of that anyways, but there just wasn't enough of it. And yes, the CGI stuff was AWESOME, but like I said, it could have used a lot more since that was the best part of the whole thing. This movie just really seemed to take a loooong time to really start moving, and by the time it did...poof...it was over. I was really looking forward to this movie. I like Nic Cage and Eva Mendes, and all the previews looked pretty good. I'm glad I saw it, but I'm glad I only paid the matinee price of $7, and even then, I still left feeling ripped off...

they gave spiderman horrible reviews and look at how great that was

spiderman was horrible... All I can remember of that #$@# feast is the part when the people on the bridge tell green goblin '' You mess with spiderman, you mess with us...'', then a couple of seconds later, they start throwing garbage at him... WOWW, WATCH OUT GREEN GOBLIN, CITIZENS HAVE GLASS BOTTLES THAT WILL HARM YOU @hmmm@

I usually tend to check on the rating on idmb.com. At least thats a more general opinion from the public.

Some critics miss judge movies to and often accuse the director, script or actor to stand out from other critics.

However, Mark Steven Johnson isn't the best director out there. He made DareDevil and Electra. DD's dir. cut was good but still have its flaws. As for Electra.....did anyone actually watched it?

I'm expecting good CG in the Ghost Rider movie. I dont have much hopes on the script. Nick Cage is an ok actor. He'll be ok in GR.

I'll stick with IMDB too for ratings or what not, I just find it to be a better consensus on how the average movie fan rates movies, not the critics. As far as movie critics go though, I don't mind Ebert all that much. I actually miss hearing his reviews on TV, I certainly prefer him over Richard Roeper.

To answer your question...yeah, I've seen Electra and I didn't think it was good at all, that's just my opinion though. Still, I'm not surprised that critics are already bashing Ghost Rider, comic adapted movies aren't really aimed for them anyway. I'll go see GR, mainly because I'm interested in seeing a film adaptation of the comic characters that I grew up reading about. I'll make my own critique when I actually see it though.

the critics are pissin me off i remember they said to watch batman begins instead of fantastic four, and i got to say fantastic four was way better than batman. all these critics are old people and dont know what they r talking about, they should get the fans word instead of there opinion

the critics are pissin me off i remember they said to watch batman begins instead of fantastic four, and i got to say fantastic four was way better than batman. all these critics are old people and dont know what they r talking about, they should get the fans word instead of there opinion

Well most people would probably agree that Batman Begins was much better than Fantastic Four. But if that's how you feel, it's your right, I loved Daredevil, but most people didn't. Ultimately, it just shows that everyone has their own opinions, and should make up there own minds, and not listen to what someone else has to say, who may have an entirely different perspective.

I saw it earlier this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good, but I liked Daredevil and Punisher to.

On a side note to anybody that saw it, did anyone catch the name of the song that played during the end credits? I looked up the soundtrack on iTunes and all it had was the film score. Any help would be awesome as the song will be stuck i my head until I can find it

I'm waiting for you fools to go watch it and tell me what you think, screw the critics.

Uhh, that's what I said I'll be doing...see :blink:

I'll go see GR, mainly because I'm interested in seeing a film adaptation of the comic characters that I grew up reading about. I'll make my own critique when I actually see it though.

sm1,2

blade 1,2 | 3 sucked

FF - was all good fun

Hulk... ehhh.... ending was the best part :S

DD liked

electra never saw...

I think I got most ofthem :P

So based on this will I Like the movie?..

Answer... WHO knows! Each movie is different and you can't really compare it with others :D

what happened to just enjoying a movie, whether its a comic book movie or not.

Hmmm.....

Amazing how everyone's opinions are so different and yet so strong. "XYZ movie was awful!" and the next says "XYZ movie was great!". Just points out how different people's criteria are for what makes a "good" movie.

Punisher - loved it.

Daredevil - enjoyed the overall movie but it had a few too many "that's ridiculous" and "that's stupid" moments for me

Hulk - really enjoyed it, but I was never a big Hulk comic fan

Elektra - really liked it

FF4 - great fun

SM 1 & 2 - enjoyed them a lot, though I'm not always that crazy with some of the casting or character development/interactions.

Batman Begins - LOVED IT (my personal favorite of all the comic books brought to the screen).

Blade 1, 2, 3: Liked the first one. Second one was pretty good. Didn't see the third.

Hellboy: Pretty cool

X-Men 1: Meh. 2: Meh 3: Pretty good.

Superman Returns: really enjoyed it.

Not sure how many I missed, but I can tell from my own experience that the more devoted I am to the comic origins of a character, the more critical I am going to be of anything that departs from my favorite elements of that character (no matter what it is. One of the biggest things I still can't swallow about the X-men movies are the non-distinct black uniforms. Don't think they should have necessarily used the comic book versions, but they could have done something more than unisex black leather jumpsuits!).

I'll wait to see what more folks like us have to say about Ghost Rider. Hollywood.com gave it 1.5 stars out of 4. That's pretty bad. But sometimes I agree with them, and other times I wonder where they keep their brain.

You might wanna take a paper cutout that covers the ENTIRE screen instead... @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

TECHNICALLY if you took a piece of paper and put it over the entire screen, the movie would still be projecting onto the paper, accomplishing nothing.

Sorry, had to say it @smilepunch@

I just saw the movie and I loved it. Instead of blindly bitching about a movie, why don't you actually see it and *gasp* then make an opinion. I'm surprised any comic movies ever get made with all the moaning and bitching about every little detail. Go to the movies have fun and quit nit-picking every goddamn thing. It seems like most people want to hate everything before they even give something a chance. People clamor for more comic movies but damn them as soon as they hear one is being made. "That guy's in it? It'll be a sh!t movie!" " I can't beleive they changed the belt buckle on the costume! Those money grubbing bastards!" It's a movie about a comic book. Just go watch the movie and enjoy a few hours forgetting about your life. Have fun and quit bitching about every single little thing. I apologize to some for my harsh tone but it seems that we as fans just simply complain waaay tooooo much and are turning against the movies that people have wanted to be made for as long as the book has been written.

Ya know, I can't help but laugh a little. You're writing so elequently about the importance of quality storytelling, and then at the bottom of your posts is a professional wrestler. Is that some of the hi-brow story telling you're referring to? Is that the kinda seriousness for the character that you're into?

Ya know, I can't help but laugh a little. You're writing so elequently about the importance of quality storytelling, and then at the bottom of your posts is a professional wrestler. Is that some of the hi-brow story telling you're referring to? Is that the kinda seriousness for the character that you're into?

OK...first and foremost; Pro Wrestling takes more brains and stamina than most people dare to realize! The old addage is correct, when I say don't knock it till you try it! I tore a rotator cuff as a result of a mistimed leg drop so the threat is real...

I have an above average IQ and I find it funny when people comdemn the entertainment part of pro wrestling? Comic books and pro wrestling are so closely connected it's ridiculous! For example; Comics are based on Mythology, Soap operas are based on comic books (the girly romane ones to be honest) and pro wrestling stems from soap operas...it reall quite metaphysical how stories of burly, sweaty men lead to live action feats of strenght by burly, sweaty men...

anyway...

Crow

Blade

Batman Begins

X3

Hellboy

Dardevil

Hulk

Superman I&II

Road to Perdition

History of Violence

Punisher

That list displays some of the best comic to film adaptations there is...but I'll have you know that you are all debating the quality, without taking a moment to suspend belief; LIKE YOU DO WITH THE COMICS!!! DON'T MAKE ME FORCE ALL OF YOU TO WATCH:Steel, Catwoman, Superman IV, Batman Forever, Captain America & the original Fantastic Four!!! JEEZ!

I actually used to look for movies that citics DIDN'T like when I wanted to see a movie. That's how much stock I put in their opinions.

What amuses me is how people (even other critics) all site the same reasons for hating a movie time and time again just so they can sound like they know what they're talking about.

For instance....lack of character development. I doubt if half the people who say that even know what the hell it means, they just read some critic who said it.

Movies only need the same fundamental things that a basic news story needs...WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, AND WHY. So long as you can manage to get all those things and the stuff in between is entertaining enough then that's all you really need.

It seems to me that people take these things way too seriously. Movies are supposed to be fun. This is one to check your brain in at the door, kick back with some snacks and just enjoy. How hard is that? :unsure:

Thats all well and good Ares. I realize that its a physically demanding form of entertainment, and I'm not asserting that the actors are stupid. I imagine some are, some aren't, and I'd imagine the really intelligent ones are more successful, just like with most things. And as far as a form of entertainment goes, hey, whatever floats your boat man, its entertainment, its supposed to be fun, right? If people enjoy the show, good, I'm glad they find a little enjoyment in something, seriously.

But... Its not exactly Shakespere. There's no Emmy's for wrestling. The stories aren't sophisticated, they aren't high brow, and they don't need to be. It can be over the top, and still entertain its fans, just like comic movies. Its supposed to be fun, not thought provoking.

So, he goes into this long explanation about how most comic movies aren't very good because they don't take the story seriously, the actors don't take the characters seriously enough. Give me a break. Tell me he finds these requirements are met when he's entertained by professional wrestling.

Thats all.

I just got back from the movie. It was alright, a little slow to begin with but not a bad movie. The chick was hot so that was a plus. They had a new trailer for Rise of the Silver Surfer which was awesome and the Venom-less Spider-man 3 one.