Why was Schwarzenegger never a Joe??

Lady Jaye

I think the whole problem is licensing. The thing with Rocky/Stallone illustrates WHY the line has so few real people (like Sgt. Slaughter). Either there is a problem with using a person's likeness or there is a probem with using the particular character (or both).

pesatyel- i know there were joes who weren't born in america but they would have to be citizens when the joined up so yeah... americans. i won't get into why arnold isn't an american to me... it has nothing to do with race or anything. its mostly political. kinda like how i think hilary clinton is either the anti-christ or a robot. :)

I believe G.I. Joe is more important and more specialized then that (transcends perhaps?) then requiring them to become American citizens . I mean is Snow Storm an American or is he still Cuban? But I don't think that really has anything to do with anything (at least not in THIS discussion).

If I remember correctly, wasn't Rocky Balboa supposed to be a Joe but they canned the idea. I think I saw it on yojoe. If someone could find it and post it that would be great.

yes, HASBRO and MARVEL wanted to make him a joe but Rocky's people said "no"

It's not that Rocky's people said no, but that Ideal or LJN already had the rights to Stallone's likeness. Like I said in my previous post, it was because of Rambo and its cartoon spin off, Rambo and the Force of Freedom from which they designed the toys for!! Of course Rambo sounds like it would have been a better fit than Rocky!!

pesatyel- i know there were joes who weren't born in america but they would have to be citizens when the joined up so yeah... americans. i won't get into why arnold isn't an american to me... it has nothing to do with race or anything. its mostly political. kinda like how i think hilary clinton is either the anti-christ or a robot. :)

No offense, and I know it won't happen due to our constitution, but if Arnold was running in '08, I'd probably vote for him over all of the people I've seen that are in the running thus far. @lol@

Same here! #US1#

Just to see him handle the press!

arnoldle0.png

Now I look at your list, and think there are a lot of good ideas, and see where they can go But just focusing on the 80's, and the characters that were out when we were collecting! Sorry you 90's collectors, GI JOE was loosing it's luster by then!! @smilepunch@ Anyhow, there are allot of cool characters, but what would they do on GI JOE?? I mean what specialty would Robert DeNiro's character play on Cobra or the Iron Grenadiers?? What about Mel Gibson, what would be his position?? Stargate characters is getting way past the realistic aspect that people were complaining about with Serpentor!! Just wondering, but there are a lot of good ones!! The Equalizer was one of my favorite shows, growing up, but can't see what he would be on GI JOE??

The Top Gun pilots could be awesome pilot variants on ships like the Skystriker or the Conquest X-30!!!

Now if I could expand and narrow down your list....

The A-Team-

Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock

Sgt. Bosco "B.A." Baracus

Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck

Chuck Hunter Invasion USA)

Executive Decision

Lt. Colonel Austin Travis

Sergeant 'Cappy' Matheny

Sergeant Louie

Sergeant Baker

Rat

Tears of the Sun

Lieutenant A.K. Waters

Navy SEALs

Lt. James Curran

Lt. (j.g.) Dale Hawkins

Top Gun

Maverick

Iceman

Goose

Hollywood

Viper

Jester

Sundown

Wolfman

Slider

Stinger [James Tolkan Top Gun (Could be a Commander/Captain for another ship like the USS Flagg!!)]

GI Jane

Lt. Jordan O'Neil (Definitely a great character to be on GI JOE, but why stop there!!)

Master Chief John James 'Jack' Urgayle (Imagine him along with Sgt Slaughter, oh #$@#!!) :o

Sgt. Max Pyro, Instructor

Sgt. Johns, Instructor

Sgt. Cortez

Wickwire

McCool

Slovnik

Newberry

Stamm

Any of the guys from Blackhawk Down. (Would make great Helicopter pilots!)