"Iron Man" Will be a Trilogy...

iammingy

Saw this when it was first posted on AICN, and man, this is looking like it might actually be one of the rare good ones! Great cast, great writers, and a good director who actually seems to respect the source material. AND it's the first of the actual Marvel produced films, so who knows what other characters/places/stroylines might be hinted at.

Also, for anyone who's interested, here's a link to a new interview with Ioan Gruffudd (aka Mr. Fantastic):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31574

This one....I'm not so sure about...

Also, for anyone who's interested, here's a link to a new interview with Ioan Gruffudd (aka Mr. Fantastic):

Saw this earlier. Nobody should really be that surprised by the spoiler revealed there.

As for Iron Man, this awesome news! Interesting that they are going to turn WM into a villain.

Saw this earlier. Nobody should really be that surprised by the spoiler revealed there.

As for Iron Man, this awesome news! Interesting that they are going to turn WM into a villain.

Yah I was a big IM fan but haven't collected the books recently. As far as I know Rhodes as War Machine was never a villain. Did he turn to the dark side recently or is this a new twist only happening in the movies?

I know a lot of people are sick of IM figures but I have room for a few more. ;)

Yah I was a big IM fan but haven't collected the books recently. As far as I know Rhodes as War Machine was never a villain. Did he turn to the dark side recently or is this a new twist only happening in the movies?

I know a lot of people are sick of IM figures but I have room for a few more. ;)

Same here...I'll buy anything they put out. I have 12 ML's and both Icons and still want more! There are still many more armors they could do before the line ends...a release every other series would be just find by me :)

Not surprised at all about the trilogy plans. The War Machine villain thing seems interesting, but I hope they don't ruin Jim Rhodes. He and Tony don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but he's never been a bad guy. I'd go so far as to say he's more likeable than Tony in some ways, especially after CW.

Hope they get into Tony's alcoholism in the second and third films.

And I wouldn't get your hopes up too high here. If the recent FF and Spidey movie toys shown at Toy Fair are any indication, the IM toys will be 5" pieces of sh*t too.

Has anyone thought of the possibility that the person who wrote that article may not know the difference between Iron Man and Plastic Man? He may have just heard the name War Machine and then just figured he was a villain and put that in the article.

Whatever it was, I'm sure somebody just got something wrong. There's no good reason to re-write a character like that. It's not like IM had a shortage of villains or anything.

There's no good reason to re-write a character like that. It's not like IM had a shortage of villains or anything.

I disagree. I bet you 99% of people can't name anyone beyond Mandarin and MAYBE Fing Fang Foom. I don't think I like the idea of WM being written as a villain, but I always thought that IM had a horrible rogues gallery.

Jim Rodes gone bad?! A trilogy of Ironman movies?!! And not a thing is said about one of the iconic characters marvel has... Captain America! When is there gonna be a new Cap movie?

When is there gonna be a new Cap movie?

Maybe they're just satisfied with the old ones since those were so good. @loll@

The biggest problem I see for Captain America, at least for studios, is the "America" part of his name. While it might do decent in the U.S, it just wouldn't carry enough appeal worldwide. Dollar signs being the bottom line, and not being able to bring in much outside of a domestic audience seem to be the key ingredients as to why there hasn't been anything so far.

A Captain America movie is in development. Avi Arad has talked about it the last couple times he has given updates on Marvel movies and the script is being written as we speak. He has said he already knopws who he wants to direct.

As for foreign appeal...that's difficult to gauge. First off, movies can succeed financially based on domestic business alone...nobody spends more money on movies than the U.S. As for interest, I'm sure Cap has many fans regardless of the fact he stands for 'American values.' Besides, the major foreign markets for movies Europe, Australia, Asia have good relationships w/ the U.S. and are very acceptiing of our culture. It's not like this movie would be aimed at some 3rd-world country where the U.S. flag is commonly burned in the streets anyway, lol.

No way Marvel lets something like that deter them from taking advantage of one of their heavy-hitters.

No way Marvel lets something like that deter them from taking advantage of one of their heavy-hitters.

I have no doubts about that. I'd bet the farm on it that they WILL make a Cap movie, I was simply offering the reasoning as to why its taken so long. I just don't see a big draw for him outside of the U.S. While many countries accept our cultures, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll go see a movie with a character who is basically garbed in the ol' stars & stripes.

Most comic characters are much more generalized, and some happen to be well known internationally. Take Spidey for instance. He's very American, living in NY, donning red and blue, but yet has no real ties to America as a symbol, and yet he's easily recognized. Now take Superman. Undeniably the most recognizable comic icon of all time, but the main problem, at least in terms of an international selling point, is that he IS an American symbol. Now I'm not talking in terms of movies alone, but one could certainly take into account the latest films.

Now, I'm a huge fan of Captain America, and would love to see the movie made, as I believe, if done correctly, it could be one of Marvels very best yet. It has a fairly grounded begining (at least as far as comics go) and I think it could be pulled off rather well, and the story could go in an infinite number of directions. I just don't think it would appeal to many outside of the U.S. in todays world simply because of the symbolism involved with the character.

I have no doubts about that. I'd bet the farm on it that they WILL make a Cap movie, I was simply offering the reasoning as to why its taken so long. I just don't see a big draw for him outside of the U.S. While many countries accept our cultures, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll go see a movie with a character who is basically garbed in the ol' stars & stripes.

Most comic characters are much more generalized, and some happen to be well known internationally. Take Spidey for instance. He's very American, living in NY, donning red and blue, but yet has no real ties to America as a symbol, and yet he's easily recognized. Now take Superman. Undeniably the most recognizable comic icon of all time, but the main problem, at least in terms of an international selling point, is that he IS an American symbol. Now I'm not talking in terms of movies alone, but one could certainly take into account the latest films.

Now, I'm a huge fan of Captain America, and would love to see the movie made, as I believe, if done correctly, it could be one of Marvels very best yet. It has a fairly grounded begining (at least as far as comics go) and I think it could be pulled off rather well, and the story could go in an infinite number of directions. I just don't think it would appeal to many outside of the U.S. in todays world simply because of the symbolism involved with the character.

While I agree w/ just about everything you said here, I don't think it really matters, lol. The fact that Cap may or many not have appeal abroad really means nothing in terms of a delay. That's not the reason. Because the fact is, if there is no appeal that's not really going to change...whether the movie came out 5 years ago, right now or 5 years from now, right? I don't see that as a valid excuse for a delay. I think it is simply a case that it has not gotten a major push except for the last year. They had other movies they wanted to make first but now are interested in moving forward w/ this one. I would not be surprised if we see this as early as 2009.

As for Supes...we had a very long thread about him as an American icon before 'Returns' came out. Many of us saw him as a symbol of America, even though he is no longer used as propaganda like he was decades ago. Others didn't. So if you see him as an American symbol, and think that would hurt the appeal abroad, how do you account for the fact that 50% of that movie's box office take was Int'l?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=400651

...and War Machine will become a villain...=_="||

A villain!?! :huh:

Honestly I think the idea of War Machine going rogue sounds pretty cool to me. Can you imagine what that fight would look like on the big screen? Awesome, that's what.

Oh yeah, here's a link to the original article that all this info came out of, there's a lot of really cool details so check it out:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31525

Honestly I think the idea of War Machine going rogue sounds pretty cool to me. Can you imagine what that fight would look like on the big screen? Awesome, that's what.

Oh yeah, here's a link to the original article that all this info came out of, there's a lot of really cool details so check it out:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31525

I don't know about turning villain, but Rhodey has had more than enough reason to be angry with Tony and want to kick his butt on several occasions. Stark has played with their relationship fast and loose several times so maybe something similar will happen in the movies only this time he's going to push Rhodes too far. .... I love IM but I always thought Rhodes was too forgiving sometimes. Especially after he froze himself and didn't tell anyone. @loll@

When i gave iron-man a try some years ago after heroes return their was a new war-machine that was a villian it seemed pretty intersting. After civil war i have no interst in EVER reading iron-man again he has been ruined for a 2nd time (the teenage deal being the first)

as for a movie i'd give it a shot. I can see someone useing the name war-machine but not rhodes as a villian. It's true Iron-man has a poor rogues gallery and name recognition is important, but i'd say the idea of having two metal man going head to head is the key here.

as for Cap, i maybe alone, but i hope if he gets a move, they ditch the sheild, it's a hokey and well comic booky idea that i think hurts him in a movie presentation. he can have it around, or maybe in his wwII form but modern day i don't see it's use.