Anybody know what kids like about Marvel toys?

pastwatch2001

Here's the deal. My first child is going to be born this summer. Going to be a boy and the wifey and I are thrilled and excited about it. That being said, I'm looking forward to playing with the little guy, finding out what he likes and introducing him to all the Marvel stuff I grew up with. I don't know if he'll get into it as much as I did but I would sure like to help things along if I can. ;) I know what worked for me and got me into the Marvel Universe but I would like to hear what worked for everyone else. Was it cartoons, comics, toys? And if so, exactly which cartoons, comics and toys? Was it the FF, Spidey or Hulk? If you have kids of your own, anything in particular that they really liked and responded to? Do the ToyBiz and Hasbro kiddie lines actually work with the kids? Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't remember any form of media actually getting me into Marvel toys. I think that Spidey, Hulk, and the other big-timers are so iconic, that you just grow up with them or are introduced to them in one form or another. My first Marvel (and DC) toys were parachute figures. The actual figure itself had no articulation at all, but they had parachute attached to them that were basically super thin plastic sheets. After that it was the Hulk tv show, then later on comics.

As for getting your kids into Marvel stuff, I think the little chibi style figures are the perfect way. My son has a little over a dozen of the Star Wars ones (Galactic Heroes), and he loves them. I think kids kind of attach themselves to stuff on their own though. I handed down my ninja turtles to him because I thought they would appeal to him, but he barely touches them. But just let him loose in my office with all the Master of the Universe figures, and he'll turn the place into a battlefield. He especially likes playsets like Grayskull, Snake Mountain, and his Little People roller coaster.

For me it was the X-Men animated series that was out in the 90's. Seeing the cartoon (especially the intro that just screamed "BUY THE TOYS!") made me want the figures, and from there I progressed to the comics and ya, here I am today :D

I remember a lot of Star Wars dads having fun with their kids with the Galactic Heroes figures. So, I say, see if takes to Super Hero Squad figures when he's old enough. Congratulations and good luck!

With my luck my kids will only be into Sports.

I'll have to pass on socially crippling problems so that they can turn out just like me! (I'm only half-kidding! - Woot!)

Well I never needed a cartoon or something from the media to get me into the toys!! In fact, if I remember correctly, every single line I got into, I did so before the cartoon!!

Masters of the Universe - I was into these when the original 6 figures came out, when there was no Prince Adam. When the mini-comics were darker, cooler!!

Transformers - Once I saw that first commercial and knew they were out, I was all over them!! Of course once the cartoon started I was all over that as welll!!

GI JOE - Same thing, I was into the toys off and on since 84, then got serious in 85! I never saw the daily cartoons, only the 5 part specials!!

So pretty much every line, I was into them because I saw them in the stores or the awesome store catalogs of olden time!! Now that's what got me into them, looking at all those catalogs!! I could spend hours looking at them!! ***sigh*** the good ole days!!

Congratulations!!! :)

When I was small, the X-men and Spider-man cartoons and the related action figures got me into the Marvel stuff.

Since your child is very young, you might consider getting this Spider-man toy:

http://www.hasbro.com/marvel/spiderman/def...roduct_id=17952

Just imagine Spider-man teaching your child how to sing "Itsy-Bitsy Spider"!!! :D hahahaha

Every time he/she hears this song, he/she will remember our friendly neigbourhood Spider-man!!! :)

Only thing that I can think of is just to play with your boy and in time he will hopefully start asking you questions about the figures he is playing with. Feel free to lay the marvel magic on him once he does. Maybe if you have some marvel comics scattered about he will make the connection that spiderman is more than just a toy or movie and he will want to learn more.

I agree with Ryno on the use of super hero squad figures.

I was a media mark as a child and have largely remained so as an adult.

The 60's Batman TV show just enthralled me, and sparked a love of superheroes that's lasted to this day.

Superheroes are somewhat chic right now. They are in with kids and have been for a few years, moreso than before. The trend might last for a few more years, but who knows.

Rather than steering the child into superheroes specifically, why not let them choose their interests?

Your son might be a truck kid, as opposed to a superhero fan like yourself--he might have interests either quite diverse from your own, or equally specific, if not just different. Maybe let him cultivate that on his own?

It doesn't mean you cannot share your love of the characters with him--it just gives him the option of finding them himself.

This is the Marvel forum, not the baseball or football forum. He didn't say he wasn't going to play any sports with his son, he just had a specific question about toys. I've played sports of one kind or another my whole life, from football and baseball to surfing, biking and street hockey. I also play those things with my son on a daily basis. For being 16-months-old, my boy's got a precision aim with a little nerf football! But I didn't mention all of that in my reply, because he didn't ask about those things; he asked about toys.