DC Comics Announces DC Unlimited

The Wire

So, does this mean that DC Direct is going to disappear? Will the new DC Unlimited toys be the same size as the DC Direct figs or will they be a different size? Does this mean that Mattel will lose the rights to the DC characters? Is this the end of Justice League Unlimited and DC Super-Heroes toylines?

Lots of questions, but not many answers...yet. I'm very curious.

You know what this means, folks.

Yet another line of Superman and Batman action figures.

My hopes are definitely not up.

Hmmmm, very interesting. Vague, but interesting. In that interview not so long ago, didn't that guy mention a line for mass retail? It does say released to mass market. At least ToyFair is only a few days away. First thing that came to mind when I saw this was the JLU. Could they be doing a 6" JL line? That would be awesome! Or a DC line similar to ML like HardrockBatman suggested? Took them long enough, but I too doubt that thats it. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

Click here to see the full article. It's only a paragraph long! Just copy/paste the damn thing onto the post.

LOL, that extra click was alot of hard work for ya huh?

Must.......move.....the mouse....ughhhhh!

Okay. Okay. So I am interested in seeing what this is all about.

are these going to be mattel figs or dcd at retail? hopefully they will sell a spectrum of figures and not just supes & bats. if they are well done, could be the end of those sh*tty hasbro legends! (which i doubt because dcd can be aweful at times).

I hope this just means the Mattel figs wont be limited to Batman and Superman related lines.

Well, I'm sure Mattel will still be Mattel. We'll still get waves and waves of Supes and Batman, its inevitable. Hopefully what DC will be doing is offering a wider variety of characters, while letting Mattel drown us in the Supes/Batman stuff.

Here's a little more info:

DC COMICS DIRECT CHANNEL SPECIAL

February 7, 2007

> DC COMICS ANNOUNCES NEW STRATEGY TO LICENSE AND DISTRIBUTE POP CULTURE CHARACTERS

>

> DC Comics announced plans today to license and distribute collectibles based on the world> '> s greatest pop culture characters and stories under a new brand name, DC Unlimited. The first series of DC Unlimited products will be unveiled this month at New York> '> s American International Toy Fair, and will be distributed to all retail outlets, including mass market and specialty channels.

>

> **********

>

> DC UNLIMITED TO PRODUCE COLLECTIBLE ACTION FIGURES BASED ON > '> WORLD OF WARCRAFT> '>

>

> DC Unlimited, the new brand launched by DC Comics to license and promote the world> '> s greatest pop culture characters and stories, is proud to announce the release of a line of action figures based on World of Warcraft, the popular Blizzard Entertainment Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG). The collectibles will be unveiled next month at New York> '> s American International Toy Fair and will be distributed worldwide in both mass market and specialty channels.

>

> The Warcraft franchise has been a pillar of gaming culture for over a decade and remains the world> '> s largest-selling strategy video game with over 19 million copies sold. With over 7.5 million subscribers worldwide, the game creates a unique and interactive environment, allowing for thousands of simultaneous player adventures. World of Warcraft has also been America> '> s top-selling PC game since its release in November of 2004.

>

> "> Blizzard has created an impressive and interactive universe for World of Warcraft,> "> said Cheryl Rubin, Senior Vice President > -> Brand Management at DC Comics. > "> We are proud to be able to deliver DC Direct> '> s expertise in creating and distributing authentic collectibles to World of Warcraft under our new DC Unlimited brand.> ">

>

> DC Unlimited> '> s World of Warcraft collectibles will include PVC vinyl, scaled and articulated figures varying in size. The initial launch will feature a four-figure assortment of 5-8-inch figures, with an additional two-figure set of two 10-12-inch deluxe figures covering the larger characters.

>

> The initial set of figures will include a Blood Elf Rogue, Orc Shaman, Undead Warlock and Dwarf Warrior. The deluxe figures will include a Draenei Paladin and Illidan Stormrage. The first wave of figures is slated to hit comic book, pop culture, mass market, specialty and toy retailers in Fall 2007.

in a perfect world this announcement means mattel can do the whole dcu....more likely it just means that any little chotchky stuff (keychains, plush toys, etc) will all carry the same label regardless of what licensee puts it out...skott

EDIT - or i could be wrong

In all seriousness, if this isn't about letting Mattel get the DC license & the rights to do the entire DCU, I could care less!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, if this isn't about letting Mattel get the DC license & the rights to do the entire DCU, I could care less!!!!!!!!!

Well, we all know thats not gonna happen. Way too many characters with individual property rights being the main reason. I think its still simply an effort to put out more figures to a wider audience, much like the Legends series has done. Its probably not "great" news to local comic shops though. Instead of being the main outlets for DC Direct figures, these same figures are now going to be available everywhere. I'm sure they'll still get exclusives and such, but overall, it can't be good for business.

basicly this will give them an excuse for the late figures. i see the press releases regarding said late figures

"DCDirect regrets to inform you that (insert anticipated figure series here), has been pushed back another 6 months due to a new line of the ever pouplar World of Warcraft for the mass market!"

i really think DCDirect should stick with dc figures until they correct other problems such as release dates, scale, quality, articulation (i dont mean ML articulation but a little bit more wouldn't kill them) or at least more consistant articulation.

i like DCDirect figures for the most part i do pick up most of the Batman all of the Green Lantern and im really looking forward to the Minimates. i just hope they do not forget what should be more important to the company DC COMICS CHARACTERS!