Should Hasbro continue making Marvel Legends?

WAR MONGER

Toy Biz or Hasbro Marvel Legends  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hasbro stay or go as the sole supplier of Marvel legends?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to wizarduniverse.com they have a thread where you'd give an original GI Joe story...in honor of the 25th Anniversary. I bring this up because, when I first got into action figures, back in the late 70's...I started collecting Star Wars. Then the movies (and subsequent toys) died down, I shifted to GI Joe. Well after the fact; Hasbro bought out Kenner, who made the original Star Wars toys! So here we are almost ten years into Hasbro's ownership of the Star Wars line and BAM! Still selling like hot cakes! and they look the best they have in decades!

Now while everyone out there running their traps about Hasbro dropping the ball, and how they suck and everything else...I ask you to wikipedia/google; Visionaries, C.O.P.S. & Crooks, and Shadows of the Empire toys? You know what you just saw? Hasbro not being afraid to take chances with a little bit of nothing!

So all of you whining about Hasbro can stuff it! The company that coined the term; "Action Figure" producing a line that sports more articulation, and more detail than the line that put them on the map? My High School basketball coach used to say; "The masses are asses!" and the more and more time I spend here on the boards I'm beginning to see his point...

I'm beginning to wonder if Marvel Legends collectors are taking over for all the whiny Anime fans?! If there is something you don't like about The Bro's product...DON'T BY IT!!!

I am somewhat neutral. I mean, personally, I find the DCSH toys better than the current Hasbro mls cause Mattel uses paint for the flesh of their toys while Hasbro uses that glossy flesh colored plastic that makes them look odd; a coat of whatever brings out the figure more than just colored plastic imo.

Speaking of paint apps, Hasbro is better than Toybiz. Compare your taskmaster or any other tb ml figure with a white colored ml hasbro figure. the white usually gets all those other unwanted colours on it and usually have sloppy globs of paint like Storm's (XMC repaint) yellow highlights on her white cape.

As for plastic, too early to tell since Hasbro is known to cut corners like how the plastic in their JVC toys were crappy at one point and how Hasbro tried to remove the T crotch to save money when Joe made a comebook in 2002.

Articulation seems lackin in the first wave, but maybe they will have more over time. We will see but hasbro may be cutting out articulation much like the t crotch thingy

l think it is premature to determine what happens at this moment.

I aint denying Hasbro can do it... I just don't think they care to make the effort anymore

like the paint apps.. yeah, they are clean.. but also lacking

well living in the UK the marvel legends figures from hasbro are £9.99 so at current exchange rates thats nearly $20 each

quality issues or not be thankful you dont live here and want to collect the things

not that theres anything in the first wave I want for myself......... but if I did you guys in the US are at least getting them for a lot less than I am

personally I'm gonna wait and see what else they put out

I'm sure hasbro can do good things with the line

but also I'd love to see a SW or Joe scaled line as they seem to do these best

Speaking of paint apps, Hasbro is better than Toybiz. Compare your taskmaster or any other tb ml figure with a white colored ml hasbro figure. the white usually gets all those other unwanted colours on it and usually have sloppy globs of paint like Storm's (XMC repaint) yellow highlights on her white cape.

Articulation seems lackin in the first wave, but maybe they will have more over time. We will see but hasbro may be cutting out articulation much like the t crotch thingy

See, I'm the opposite on the paint apps, because judging by ML1, I really think ToyBiz did a better job on the paint apps. Mind you, ML11, ML14 and some of ML15 were just aweful, but most of the other I thought were fine. Hasbro seems to be making the colors just a bit too bright for my tastes. Personally, ML8 and ML13 were some of my favorite waves for the detail done on the figures.

I'm not missing the articulation on the Hasbro so much myself, because to be honest, it makes it easier to stand the figures on my shelf. The large amount of articulation points on ToyBiz figures sometimes make the figures a bit difficult to stand up properly. It would be a downside to people who enjoy posing their toys in battle positions though.

This poll needs a middle option, because while I would rather see almost anyone else get the license, there is the possibility that it could be done by someone even worse than Hasbro, like MATTEL.

For the record, my dislike of Hasbro as a company has almost nothing to do with what they did or didn't do to this line, it has to do with them killing good toy lines by buying up smaller companies and sitting on the licenses until they are forgotten, and the fact that smaller companies tend to do a better job on their products than the money hungry giants like Hasbro, MATTEL, and even Playmates.

The only reason I even bought the first set was to get a "designed for ToyBiz" Annihilus, which was worth it IMO, even though he's bublegum pink.

The biggest reason I'm not getting a full set of series 2, (and probably 3,) from Hasbro is the character selection, I hate movie figures, the BAF Blob was downgraded in detail, and all the best characters have already been done by ToyBiz, so untill they start actually start making "better" versions of my favorite characters that I already have from ToyBiz, or weird characters that nobody knows, I'm just gonna pick at the line.

For some reason people in the USA have this weird philosiphy that you give more money to the filthy rich, which is what giving the license to Hasbro is all about!

What tyrannical license mongering corporation can we possibly give the biggest comic-book toy license to? @notworthy@

I recognize that forign relations with companies like ToyBiz has a serious number complicated issues that lead to the deal with Hasbro. I don't blame Marvel for trying to avoid problems that have been plaguing a lot of smaller toy companies in the last couple of years, such as old molds getting stolen and used to make knock-offs in third world markets, but making a deal with Hasbro is like making a deal with Microsoft or COMCAST of the toy making world, who's main goal is to corner the market so they can get away with offering less option, product and/or service for more money, because they have the monopoly on the said product.

Maybe that doesn't strike anyone as any different that the monopoly ToyBiz had on the license, but it was ToyBiz's only real feed bag, and as such, they gave it more effort than some conglomerate with dozens of other licenses to fall back on if this line doesn't pan out.

To put it simply, Hasbro is not that motovated, and it shows.

I'm sure the line will continue under Hasbro just fine, because after years of collecting action figures, I can tell you that "fans" of any property, will buy absalute garbage of their favorite characters, simply because they see the character before they see the product.

This is also why Hasbro wanted it so bad, they don't have to deliver a "good" product to sell tons of Spiderman & Wolverine. #US1#

ToyBiz made some real garbage. They also made some real gems, and they went from one end of the spectrum to the other, which is another trait Hasbro will never exibit, because they spread the good and the bad elments evenly out over all their work. We might not get some of the worst things ToyBiz gave us, but we probably won't get anything as awesomely done as Dragonman, The IT, or Man Thing either.

As for people who think they should lower thier price, ask your self what you would sacrifice to get that lower price, because a lower price would mean a "cheaper" figure, literally. @dunce@

On the bright side, these toys are a lot easier to get unlike Toybiz. Whenever a new ML line was out, we would never see them in any of the stores. They would only show up 3-4 months later. I can go to Wal-Mart and find the new Hasbro ML easy.

As far as the toy sculpt. It's too early. Remember look at the early versions of toybiz's toys, they werent' all 100% great either, these guys will get better and learn how to make better toys as they go on. Too bad they messed up my Ultimate Wolverine though.

On the bright side, these toys are a lot easier to get unlike Toybiz. Whenever a new ML line was out, we would never see them in any of the stores. They would only show up 3-4 months later. I can go to Wal-Mart and find the new Hasbro ML easy.

Well, i can't speak for your area, but in this area the great availability of the product has much more to do w/ lack of sales than stellar distribution. I make regular trips to the local TRU's, Targets and WM's and they all have only had to restock a couple times at the most. They are not selling nearly as well as the TB waves did, at least around here.

I have to agree they are easier to find, but I don't know if that's due to better distribution or poor sales.

All I know is I actually found a whole set at retail, which has never happened to me under ToyBiz.

Except for s14, I always had to order something online.

As far as the toy sculpt. It's too early. Remember look at the early versions of toybiz's toys, they werent' all 100% great either, these guys will get better and learn how to make better toys as they go on. Too bad they messed up my Ultimate Wolverine though.

I keep telling people, and nobody listens.

The sculpts and designs are done by a design group at Marvel, (previously also known as ToyBiz, not to be confused with ToyBiz International, which is the Hong Kong based manufacturer.)

In other words, the designs and sculpts will continue to be as good or bad as they were with ToyBiz international, with certain design demands made by Hasbro, (such as the GIJoe elbow joints for example,) but still done by the marvel design group.

You better hope they don't let Hasbro start designing the sculpts, or you're gonna be looking at total kiddifycation! @grumpy@

The sculpts and designs are done by a design group at Marvel, (previously also known as ToyBiz, not to be confused with ToyBiz International, which is the Hong Kong based manufacturer.)

In other words, the designs and sculpts will continue to be as good or bad as they were with ToyBiz international, with certain design demands made by Hasbro, (such as the GIJoe elbow joints for example,) but still done by the marvel design group.

You better hope they don't let Hasbro start designing the sculpts, or you're gonna be looking at total kiddifycation! @grumpy@

the "kiddifycation" has already happened. look at the badass figures shown as SDCC last year... then all the new piictures of the Hasbro ML stuff have new heads and no paint apps.. the figures have already been kiddyfied

the "kiddifycation" has already happened. look at the badass figures shown as SDCC last year... then all the new piictures of the Hasbro ML stuff have new heads and no paint apps.. the figures have already been kiddyfied

Thank you, I rest my case.

I'm buying the Indi stuff from ToyBiz! @purpbananna#

I find Hasbro's Legends to be no better or worst than Marvel Toys' (ToyBiz) Legends. Sure, I'm not doing back flips over my White Queen, but on the whole, she's better than my Scarlet Witch.

Of course there are nits to pick. Would I have picked a few different characters? Yes. Would I have put a different head and a colloar on Banshee. Yes. Would I have left in the comics? Yes. But I picked many a nit before Hasbro got the licence. Plus so far, I've had no problem finding any of Wave 1's figures, which is a nice change.

And as for the quality and appeal of wave 2 or 3? It would be a silly and futile thing to debate the merits of an action figure I've never laid hands on. I can't recall many of Marvel Toys' figures that looked exactly like the promotional pics, or even like the pics on the back of the package.

Hasbro did OK for their first time out. If they improve, I'll keep buying. If the degrade, then I'll stop. But honestly, I think they'll do just fine. So for now, I vote stay.

• 4 months later...

Hasbro`s fault, at least for me, it`s just that annoying bicep joint and paint aps (which is not a big deal for me). everything else is fine with me, concerning to Marvel Legends.

Hasbro can't do anything right. They should let Sideshow or Neca do Marvel, GIJoe, and Transformers, and do them right

You know, you're right. I wish sideshow would make them so we could pay like $80 a figure.

@smilepunch@

What about Mattel? @loll@ @loll@

i'd be all for that, hell the DCSH are better then the best MLs toybiz did

I'll never give in, besides Hasbro can loose their license to make marvel toys just as fast as ToyBiz Lost it...it's never over until the fat lady sings.

just as fast? didn't Toybiz have the license for like 2 decades? But anyway as far as the topic as said before it's still too early, and the figures aren't all bad, the sculpts are just as good as the average toybiz legend, they just need to fix the paint and we'd still have a nice line going

Recently some folks were talking about how badly Toy Biz got dissed before......to be honest, I had forgotten that there were many things (and figures...who could forget Scarlet Witch) I didn't like with them before Hasbro came along.

I say give Hasbro a chance....their She-Hulk and Thor are superior figure sculpts and I really liked the Hercules too. Do I want more articulation? Of course. But I say, let Hasbro have a chance. Collectors will be just as critical with them and I hope Hasbro will be responsive.

It is very possible to acutally have a better Hasbro run than Toy Biz had.......

Hey, do we have any Hasbro fans around here? @loll@

I'm a Hsbro fan. For a Couple reasons.

1. Better character distribution. I've found every character released at least twice. Tb I found one or two a wave.

2. Character Selection. Five characters I've been practiclly begging for have shown up in the first two waves and if the rumors are true a lot more are coming.

3. Figure quality. Finally figures that don't feel like crap.( anyone remember wave 14 Longshot, Powerman and Baron Zemo) There much stonger plastic and don't break as you take them out of the pakaging.

4.pakaging. Looks better and easier to open.

5. Articulation. Some of the toybiz figs had to much causing breakage.

Sure the paint apps are not as good but I'm sure that will improve, I'ts still early. :)

i would say give hasbro a chance. when they brought the star wars line back in 1995 the sculpts were not all that great. it took them some time but they improved. let them do the same with the marvel legends line and other marvel lines as well. the best thing so far is the character selection. let's just hope they make a thanos and adam warlock.