Joss Whedon Off Wonder Woman

Scott

I don't think it sucks. It sounds like he really just couldn't put it all together. At least now they can move on and get something better put together. I'd rather see them start over than rush to put some crap out there.

I dont think thats it. First this and now David Goyer is off The Flash? I believe its the WB Execs are to blame. It almost sounds like they just dont get comic movies now. They did make Batman Begins, which was awesome. But Superman Returns sucked. And now this...

To quote BigMD:

DC was pretty much guaranteed that they'd have 2/3 of their big three in kick-@$$ movies this decade. And fans and moviegoers were guaranteed a kick @$$ Wonder Woman movie. Now, nothing is assured. The WW movie could suck as bad as "Superman Returns," if it ever gets made (without a script or director, these guys are pretty much back to square one).

Very odd that WB announces two major movies are now in limbo the same day. Very odd. I want a WW movie badly and have grown tired of waiting on Buffy-Boy to put a script together or to cast an actress. As usual, WB has sucked on giving updates on the progress. I understand if the WB has been stone-walling him all along and constantly causing script re-writes, but frankly I could care less that he got dumped, other than for the fact it will delay the movie. I don't find it a coincidence that he gets dropped the very same week that Joel Silver bought a WW script off of two unkown writers, stating that it was "a pre-emptive measure to avoid future legalities if their were similarities between the two scripts.." Yeah, either that or it was just all-around better than what Whedon had wrote. The only thing is that script was set during World War II and Silver has gone on record before that he wants WW to be set in modern times. Still, seems like too much of a coinky-dink to me....

Goyer off the Flash is severly disappointing...he's one of the best IMO.

Does that really surprise you? Superman and Batman are going to sell on name. It doesn't really matter if one of the movies is really bad (.....Batman and Robin.....) because the name is still there.

It's more of a gamble with Wonder Woman and Flash. I suppose the reason the studio keeps vetoing scripts for these things is because it doesn't appeal to the masses enough.

Remember the hollywood philosophy - Sacrifice details that would please your niche audience in order to appeal to a multiple types of people groups.

Superman Returns was awful, imo.

And Wonder Woman is probably one of the harder DC characters to write something timely and topical about--so I'm not surprised they've gone back to square one.

Warners has trouble with Superhero flicks--Superman Returns is proof of that. Its such a highly politically influenced film--given its decade long hellish-development--that the internal wrangling of the producers and execs weakened the thing before it even came to light.

Wonder Woman is the same thing. They want a tent-pole film ( an odd term to use with WW, but.....y'know.), but they don't want to risk much, and they really do not know what they want.

I think Whedon is overrated, anyway. If Buffy and Firefly was as big a success as people say, he'd have dove-tailed right into something else.

As it is, Serentity didn't do big biz, and Whedon looks to be stalled. That's a good reason for Warners to doubt him.

I dunno though.........in the end......I'd like to see SOMEONE champion these films and do right by them. If that happens, great..........if not..........we'll get more stuff to avoid, like Catwoman.

Well, it didn't take long. New director for 'The Flash' is Shawn Levy, who recently did 'Night at the Museum.' But also has 'Cheaper By The Dozen' and 'The Pink Panther' under his belt.... @puke@

Anyway, article said Goyer's version was pretty dark, so maybe that's why WB canned him?

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=10656

Hopefully, we get WW news this week, too.

gah! First Wonder Woman and now Flash. wtf Warner Bros.? Personally I think both of these are not changes for the better. Goyer and Whedon, when they're firing on all cylinders can produce quality product and they have experience in writing for this genre on TV and cinema. That's not to say they're absolutely perfect and guaranteed blockbuster makers BUT to me they would have had an excellent chance to do these characters justice and make an entertaining movie that would bring some bank back to the investors. Here's hoping that Warners doesn't start to screw things up by making all their decisions based on committees, return on investment projections and demographics. That's the quickest way to suck all life out of your properties and leave us with another uninspired film.... right Fox? I understrand this is a business but don't kill the characters with your formulas for success and hedging.