Another popular online store is following the "blazing orange cap" trend

Doom Saber

I found this bit of news from animepunch, which was originally posted on allsparks. It reads

Hi,

I'm sorry to inform you that we will be making any

adjustments

necessary to the item in order to comply with US

customs law. Even

though it is packed in robot mode, it can still be

transformed into a

realistic looking gun and thus would require an orange

tip at the end

of the barrel. This is evident in Hasbro's TF

Classics Megatron that

although his alt mode does not resemble a real gun but

it still has a

bright orange tip.

Thanks for your understanding.

-------

Joseph Tsai Yiing Haur

Products

HobbyLink Japan (www.hlj.com)

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?s...=23356&st=0

Even though I have yet to receive this letter from my inbox(I too ordered from hlj,) this is apparently true since the site says this:

Special note about this product

For customers in the United States ONLY, HobbyLink Japan will be placing a plastic orange cap over the end of the barrel in order to keep this toy in compliance with Title 15, Chapter 76 of the United States Code.

Installing this cap on the item will require our staff to open the packaging, which will break any tape sealing the box flaps. This will be performed with the utmost care, but of course it will prevent us from delivering this product to US customers in "unopened" condition. Note that without this modification, your purchase could be confiscated by the US Customs Service and/or you could be charged with a crime under the above US Federal Law.

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of US-based toy collectors related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with US laws, we recommend that you not snap off the plastic cap after you have received the item.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT76016

:(

You know, perhaps this is the only way you Americans will be able to bring this sucker into the country. Why take on the chance of getting into trouble with the law for a toy? Priorities need to be set.

Hopefully the rules of engagement are different up here in Canada.

I told you guys! It doesn't matter how reliable they are, the law is the law. I ordered mine at agesthreeandup. But still, that still doesn't guarantee i wont get the cap on the gun. Its primarily a canadian store so technically they didn't say anything wrong. One thing i didn't like though is that they charged me b4 i even got the order. I can still cancel right and get refunded?

They said they wont be receiving any packages with the orange tip. So technically they are right. But they didn't say they werent shipping any out. Think about it!

HobbyLink Japan understands and appreciates the desires of US-based toy collectors related to merchandise of this nature, and we feel this is the best solution to meet those needs under the circumstances. In order to maintain your item's compliance with US laws, we recommend that you not snap off the plastic cap after you have received the item.

Maybe the cap from HLJ can just be snapped off after you open the package? It's fine with me, if that's the case.

Why wasn't there such a big deal when Takara 06 Reissue Megatron came out? I think this is just a bunch of BS.

well i am still ordering from HLJ. I AM ANNOYED but i understand. i see from the wording of the announcement they are telling us to "not" take off the cap which means it will easily be able to be removed.

i still cant understand why this megatron needs to me altered and the reissue from the 80s that was shipped in gun form was not. that is something i'd like cleared up

It cost respect points from you. Big deal!! The law is the law, they have to do it. I'm sure agesthreeandup will do it too. But hey didn't HLJ just say they don't recommend you to take off the tip. To me thats a damn good news for people who ordered from them. BBTS is using permanant glue on theres. Being p*ssed at them is just being selfish. I want my untampered too, but i understand it. If they could ship it the way it was, believe me they would do it! But, now they could be in some serious legal bs because of it.

O I'm really not likeing this. Hopefully the orange tip will be something that can just snap on and off. Also if it comes in robot mode, why would customs even have a problem with it. I mean are they going to transform Megs themselves?

Again, I ask why now? This law was on the books since the 80s, yet they never tampered with the Takara 06 reissue. I ordered two in the course of a few years and customs never seized it. THIS WAS AFTER 9/11! This is just BS on the e-tailers part to suddenly create an issue with a law that is nott enforced as far as imports are concerned.

It might be because this Masterpiece gun looks more REAL than the original smaller g1 gun. I don't know all the rules either, but apparently they do and they could be in real big trouble if they didn't obey. Customs apparantly are ordered to seize these types of "items" and the only person that would be screwed would be us. I went with agesthreeandup, they haven't officially said they wouldn't do it yet. So i'm taking a chance, who knows what will happen. If your going to blame anyone them blame Bush or something?

so.. are all these stores putting the caps on them selves? or is the factory doing it?

the factory just needs to put orange caps on every single one, and if people complain, then don't $#$@in buy it. This isn't the 80's anymore and it never will be again

It might be because this Masterpiece gun looks more REAL than the original smaller g1 gun. I don't know all the rules either, but apparently they do and they could be in real big trouble if they didn't obey. Customs apparantly are ordered to seize these types of "items" and the only person that would be screwed would be us. I went with agesthreeandup, they haven't officially said they wouldn't do it yet. So i'm taking a chance, who knows what will happen. If your going to blame anyone them blame Bush or something?

No. I will blame the punks who shot police officers in the inner city which led to a paranoia about younger kids with toy guns. Some cops shot a few kids who were playing with toys. There is some fault on the police there too, these were in American suburbia where as the shootings were in the inner city. Instead of shooting the kid,, fire a shot in the air and quickly take cover to scare em. If they return fire, go ahead and let er rip, but they obviously didn't match the profile. It would have helpped alot though if mommy and daddy were there with the kids though. These kids were also left unsupervised by the parents. We are trying to take away responcibility from parents who are supposed to be watching their kids and protect people from themselves. I ask how this is going to stop the real problem: gang violence and minor felons?

so.. are all these stores putting the caps on them selves? or is the factory doing it?

the factory just needs to put orange caps on every single one, and if people complain, then don't $#$@in buy it. This isn't the 80's anymore and it never will be again

No. the stores are doing it themselves hence the reason many people are pi$$ed because they won't have an MIB figure. The caps should be removeable if anything or issue instructions on how to remove the cap if so desired. That is the perfect solution to all of this. Again, where is the common sense. It is shipping as an action figure. It is by every stretch of the word, an action figure and therefore, should not be subject to this law.