Better "version" choices: Cobra Commander

pesatyel

Best version for 25th anniversary?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Best version for 25th anniversary?

• Version 1 (1983)
    • Version 2 (1984)
    • Version 3 (1987)
    • Version 4 (1991)
    • Version 5 (1991)
    • Version 6 (1994)

If we're talking iconic, I'd pratically never think of the battle helmet version. Between the comic and the original cartoon miniseries, and the fact that only the hooded Commander was ever available in stores, this has always been my favorite Commander.

commander01.jpg

And as recent history has shown, the hooded version is far more iconic and long-lasting. Hasbro's doing right by releasing the absolute *first* version of the Commander in this series (albiet with the gloves from the comic version, right down the the red band on the end). But like Snake-Eyes, it was the second CC that really hit the mark. That being, because Larry Hama completely diregarded the first figure, and designed a uniform that allowed for dramatic emotion and let us look into the eyes of ultimate evil.

If Hasbro does continue the line, I hope to see a comic accurate design, which was attempted with the Talking Battle Commander figure, but left out a few small details that keep it from being perfect. A hooded Commander, in the comic uniform, would be different enough to warrant a new sculpt, but also in keeping with the 25th Anniversary theme, as it appeared in G.I.Joe #1.

I always liked this version of him the best...minus the bulky back pack of course.

cobracommander5.jpg

I voted for version two, although I think Hasbro made the right choice by releasing the face-plate version since it was the first version. But I agree with others in that the hooded version simply looks more sinister and iconic.

Now me personally, I've always been partial to the battle armor version. I just though as a kid it was cool to no end that Destro had developed a suit of high-tech armor for Cobra Commander so that he could take a more direct role on the battlefield. It wouldn't have been anything he wore all the time like in the comic; just something he would wear had he felt the need to lead the front lines. I also used to see it as a direct response to Serpentor's threat of more direct leadership, and I'm sure I got that from the comic, but I don't remember.

The Talking Battle Commander was a great figure. The comic pack repaint, with the yellow toned down a notch, is almost perfect!

It's a shame they couldn't find the Battle Corps repaint, which had the fully sculpted torso (no flat back). Every repaint from 2000 on has been plagued by the Talking Battle Commander's gimmick...

If we're talking iconic, I'd pratically never think of the battle helmet version. Between the comic and the original cartoon miniseries, and the fact that only the hooded Commander was ever available in stores, this has always been my favorite Commander.

commander01.jpg

And as recent history has shown, the hooded version is far more iconic and long-lasting. Hasbro's doing right by releasing the absolute *first* version of the Commander in this series (albiet with the gloves from the comic version, right down the the red band on the end). But like Snake-Eyes, it was the second CC that really hit the mark. That being, because Larry Hama completely diregarded the first figure, and designed a uniform that allowed for dramatic emotion and let us look into the eyes of ultimate evil.

If Hasbro does continue the line, I hope to see a comic accurate design, which was attempted with the Talking Battle Commander figure, but left out a few small details that keep it from being perfect. A hooded Commander, in the comic uniform, would be different enough to warrant a new sculpt, but also in keeping with the 25th Anniversary theme, as it appeared in G.I.Joe #1.

YES YES YES! This is exactly the version of CC I wanted to see. The 12" clothed CC that came out with this uniform in the 90's is still one of my all time favorites. Yes the chrome helmet is Iconic, but to me, this version of Cobra Commander is more ruthless, and commands the respect of his followers more than the light blue uniform. Cobra Commander also wore this helmet with this uniform one couple of occasions. This uniform also looks great in BLUE and Black.

Count me among the black and hooded fans. Yeah i love the helmet too but with the v1 design i loath the 2nd belt, the longer pants, with what looks like dress shoes to me, and the general simplicity of it. Besides the classics cc or whatever we're calling them looks a bit fat to me.

To me V.1 is still easily the best. It's simple and fits right in with the cartoons and comics. It's a perfect example of the phrase "less is more."

The 25th anniv. is a good second place, but little things like odd-looking hip joints and a lack of ability to physically compare it to the original keeps it from being #1 to me.

It DOES help to see them all side by side. That's why I did it that way.

The interesting thing about version 1 and 2 is that they ARE technically the same, colors not withstanding. And, of course, in this case, the easiest thing to do would be like with version 19, but with a hood that actually stays on his head.

V1 is what it should be and I am glad it is. Its my fav CC ever and I have never been a fan of the hood. I like the BH and like Pit Viper said, we have never really gotten a true update to the v1 style.

Draven

I pretty much only had hooded CC figures and that makes me rather partial to that design

but I agree that the original design works best for the anniversary and I'll just hope for a hooded variant later on

I'm probably the only person in the world that likes the V4 1991 CC. The only flaws with it, IMO, are the fleshy neck and translucent red faceplate. The uniform was good, but not fantastic, and the helmet design with the snake-head right above CC's nose was great.

But the Talking/Battle Corps Commander had the best uniform IMO. That would be the design to remake, in colors like the v2 (mail-in) CC, with interchangable hood/helmet and masked heads.

+-MWG-+

I'm probably the only person in the world that likes the V4 1991 CC. The only flaws with it, IMO, are the fleshy neck and translucent red faceplate. The uniform was good, but not fantastic, and the helmet design with the snake-head right above CC's nose was great.

But the Talking/Battle Corps Commander had the best uniform IMO. That would be the design to remake, in colors like the v2 (mail-in) CC, with interchangable hood/helmet and masked heads.

+-MWG-+

The figure isn't too bad...it just ISN'T Cobra Commander.

i think the one they made was a good choice, the og hooded version is a close second