New Solider Sigma wave is out!!!

Draven79

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I wanna chime in here...

Guys, it may be slightly irritating when you encounter someone that doesn't like what you do, and here I'm not completely taking up for Lady Jaye, or anyone else who seems...overly critical of Sigma 6 (lol), but the fact of the matter is, these people love G.I. Joe just as much as you or I, and they simply haven't embraced Sigma 6 as any part of what G.I. Joe is to them at all. They can't see why some of us think it's cool just as much as we can't understand why they don't like them. Sigma 6 is just one of those things that divides the fandom right down the middle; you either love it or hate it. I myself happen to love it. Why? Simply put, it's the animated take on my beloved Joes and Cobras. It's very imaginitive. It's different. The sculpting's unique and cool, the quality is superb, the accessories are fun, and these just come across as some very cool toys I would have wanted to play with as a kid. Like Lady Jaye said in another thread I think, or maybe it was here in this one; they remind me of those cool Centurions figures we used to have. And that brings me to another point; VH made the statement at one point that if anything, opposite opinions should reinforce what the lovers of the line think, not get them all riled up. I personally think it's interesting to know what EVERYBODY thinks, not just what people think that agree with ME. That's the fun of the discussion, to defend your viewpoint and be forced to think about and explain WHY you like something. For some reason, some people take it as a personal attack. It says nothing about you as a person. They just don't like the same TOYS you do. See how silly that sounds? And that's what it boils down to.

And as I have said ad naseum, I can totally understand why some people don't like Sigma 6. They do look cartoony. They do resemble Rescue Heroes somewhat. (lol) They ARE kinda blocky and silly-looking in a way. Some of them are too skinny and/or bulky. They don't resemble anything from the great 3-3/4" glory days. They're too big and awkward-looking. They're anime. It's more like the Matrix meets Ghost in the Shell or something. But see, where I think that's cool and artsy or pop-culture-esque or what have you, they see it as too much of a deviation of what made G.I. Joe cool in the first place; gritty, realistic 3-3/4" figures that were more realistically proportioned and based in reality, not Toon Town. (lol) (I hadn't thought of that comparrison until Lady Jaye mentioned it...)

Me personally, I enjoy it as an extreme, alternate version of G.I. Joe that doesn't take away from my love of the more realistic 3-3/4" stuff. That's all. I don't replace or interchange one for the other. They are separate entities that I enjoy equally that happen to share the name "G.I. Joe". I think that's where the Sigma 6 haters come from; they think since we're so welcoming of the Sigma 6 toys that we are willing to replace the 3-3/4" stuff. NOTHING could ever, ever change or replace what G.I. Joe means to me and what made the best and first impression on me, and that was A Real American Hero. That's still the gold standard to me, no matter what comes down the pike. Does that mean I can't enjoy Sigma 6? Heck no! It's just a diversion from time to time if you will that I enjoy.

Now I will admit to getting slightly irritated at the immediate and snarling comments we see from time to time whenever a new Sigma 6 thread pops up. Contributing a well thought-out opinion as to WHY something sucks is fine. THAT'S constructive. That's something I can sink my teeth into. But to barge in just to point out how stupid Sigma 6 is or to throw around snide comments simply because it happens to be a Sigma 6 thread is immature and asinine. Just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD. There's a difference between disagreeing and just being plain ol' negative for negativity's sake...

I want to say really bad that people who are so negative about Sigma 6 are just being close-minded, but I can't say that; they have every right to hate or not like it. Just like I hate Living Dead Dolls. I like them about as much as I like having a stomach virus. They're creepy, they're disturbing, and I'm like LJ is about Sigma 6; I can't for the life of me understand why in the world anyone would collect and stare at something that macabre on the self and think it's great. It's twisted, morbid, disturbing, and insane. That's what I think. (lol) But now do you see me hunting down all of the threads on Living Dead Dolls to express my dismay and dissatisfaction with it, thereby irritating and insulting those that DO like them? No. If I felt the need to do so, I might do it in a more constructive, diplomatic way. Now I know that's a different scenario because Sigma 6 is a part of G.I. Joe, and the haters have to come to this board, and when a Sigma 6 thread pops up, they can't help themselves and have to comment. But c'mon, really...what's your point? If you're being overly critical and bordering on insulting/irritating, and you know you are...why? We don't want to hear it. Tell me in a mature, constructive manner why you don't like it. I can deal with that. Otherwise, I'm gonna ignore you, and you can go back to the elementary school playground. That's where your skills are needed. @smilepunch@

Wow, someone mentions that the new S6 toys are out and it is all out war @smilepunch@

Anyway, the two Targets in my area have had their S6 racks empty since Christmas. It looks like I'll be getting these new figures online then. I can't say I love S6, but I enjoy certain figures. The DTC stuff never interested me and the Viper Pit set is the only new RAH joe stuff I bought for the past 3 years. S6 fills in the void somewhat.

BTW, I remembered there was a thread in here discussing why it was so dead here before the 25th news. Part of the reason is because S6 threads aren't welcomed by all.

I think I'm only asking for leniency on LJ here, just for the fact that she wasn't around much (if at ALL) when all this S6 storm hit the forums originally, and how BAD some of these battles waged on, until it became old news.

She's back, and posting and feeling maybe a little sassy and upbeat and unaware of the pitfalls she's jumping into, with the whole be kind to Sigma Six lovers....they're toy collectors TOO emotionally correct board expectations of us now? ;)

....oh, and jase

I don't know why I thought she'd been around LONGER? I forgot you old farts have been at it, even longer than me! @smilepunch@

LJ you really need to stop, I am trying to be nice here. Your remarks are getting old.

Awww come on, you need to chill out! I'm just poking fun, mean nothing about it! Hell I bought a Zartan figure, so I'm no better!! @hmmm@

Your trying to be nice? And I'm not, come on, this is just a lil razzing, you need to be able to tell the difference! Besides, I've only been back for like a week, not enough time to get on that many nerves!!

@loll@

BTW, I remembered there was a thread in here discussing why it was so dead here before the 25th news. Part of the reason is because S6 threads aren't welcomed by all.

It shouldn't have to be.

TNI is the "melting pot" of all that is out there, in the toy world....and then some! :)

There's cross contamination of members here, who might be BIG Transformer fans, and semi interested in G.I.Joe and so on, and with THAT....we're likely to have some heads butting about something as trivial as WHICH toy is better than the other.

We've toughed up (most of us) and learned how to cope and diversify and know NOT to take such teasing and bickering back and forth personal.

No amount of G.I.Joe bashing from a Star Wars fan, is going to ruin my fun and participation here, so much I have to run away, and find a group of like-minded Joe fans who will BAN such an intruder.

I like it this way...more fun and entertaining, and a little challenging sometimes. ^_^

I found Shipwreck, Firefly, Wet Suit and Hi-Tech at the WM today. I did not get any of them, but I did walk around with Firefly in my cart the whole time I was there.

I am trying to limit my collecting this year and with the 25th being as cool as it looks, Sigma 6 is what is getting the ax.

That all may change and I may regret missing these, but I got into Sigma 6 around Halloween last year and by Christmas had caught up completely, mostly through retail too, so I am not really worried. I will probably fall off the wagon when Grand Slam hits, but for now I am trying to practice the "Catch and Release" program.

I think it comes down to this....if you don't like Sigma 6 as a whole, don't roam and post in Sigma 6 threads. If you've bought a figure or two and have legitimate critiques, fire away. Why frequent boards regarding a line of toys which you hate? It makes no sense, other than you're a bitter, egomanicial S.O.B. I don't like DC comic characters and don't buy figures based on 'em (I do check them out in stores, though), therefore I don't get on DC boards and bash their product because I'm a Marvel guy. I can't imagine me doing that repeatedly and then saying "What? It's just a poke here and there?" If I did that, I'd have to admit to myself that I need therapy...or at least I should get out of the house once in a while. I guess I just have too much respect for other people and their passions.

Regarding this new wave of Soldier class figures....they're awesome! I haven't opened my Hi-Tech figure yet, since he was my least-wanted of this wave.

Firefly is great! Finally, he's on the right side (for him) of the battle. Great homage to his classic look. The colors and design makes sense but are upped (as is the S6 trend). He's closest to the RAH than any other Firefly figure made. I'm a little torn on the flame claws, but they're pretty cool. The duel guns are great. Face mask is also suitably terrifying, although I'm torn on which way to display him, masked or maskless?

Wet-Suit is also very cool, especially since he's a repaint of Scuba Duke with new accessories. I like the harpoon gun. With the knife attached, it's quite the terrifying weapon. The backpack doesn't work as well as Duke's as a vehicle, so it's staying on his back. His face sculpt is great, but it brings Deep Six to mind more than Wet-Suit. Still, a nice figure. My only complaint would be that I wish there was a more unifying color scheme to the underwater Joes. They don't need the same exact paint scheme, but maybe something more similar.

Shipwreck is awesome and marks a turning point of sorts for the S6 line. It seems we're veering away from the Sigma suits and getting into more individualized costumes. Seems like a small bone being thrown to long-time RAH fans. This design is very similar to the Spy Troops Shipwreck. I love the sweater/scullcap look for Shipwreck. I like the tattoos (sporting the names of lady Joes and the mermaid chick he loved in the old cartoon). His harpoon gun does indeed look like a SuperSoaker (as a friend pointed out). His sword attaches to the top of it, btw. I'm not sure about the sword as an accessory for him, but it looks deadly. I actually prefer the monkey to Polly the parrot. Sure, a parrot is more iconic for a sailor but it's also pretty silly. I can somehow buy a little monkey being sent to do "infiltration" missions. I think it's odd they didn't name him, though.

I also just received the first Commando wave of S6 via BBTS. I'll keep those reviews short (since they're kinda off topic for this thread).

Grand Slam: awesome! Again straying from the Sigma suit look. Bulky like HD (they share an upper body) which works for his specialty. His missle launcher is reminiscent of Backblast's. Cool feature is it ejects shells out of the back when it's fired! Nice SMG and knife, too.

SE w/copter: Yet another SE, but it's got double-elbows and knees, a different right wrist, and far more poseable ankles (like Marvel Legends but better). He's got 2 of his usual swords which are getting boring in my mind, a stupid knife gun/cutter, and his whirly backpack. I haven't fooled around with the copter, but it seems cool. I'm just glad to finally have a S6 with double-elbows and knees (I thought they would have them from the get-go).

SS w/flying backpack thing: Better in person. Again, he's got the new articulation which works great. The backpack does less for me than SE's. He's got a nice bladed staff (naganta? I think) and his v1 nunchucks. I'm not keen on the newer, metal faceplate they've been giving him. I prefer his v1 face. Still a pretty cool SS if you haven't gotten him in a while.

Duke w/ giant cannon: another retreat from the Sigma suit. Very drab and more "realistic" colors. I never cared from a blue-themed Duke, since I think blue should be reserved for Cobra. Cool faceplate (the Artic one just repainted). He's got a more determined face with five-o-clock shadow. The cannon is way too huge for him. Could be cooler, if it didn't have a stock which makes him holding the grip odd. He's got a new type of sidearm which I haven't fooled around with much. An okay Duke which brings him only slightly back into his RAH feel (tan color at least) but is a nice change-up from previous S6 looks (ie no blue).

These 2 waves are the best yet for Sigma 6 in my mind. A lot of cool figures, 3 new characters, and a few nice redesigns. This combined with the product list leaked for the upcoming year (Duke w/ mech/exo-suit!) and the Anniversary line, it's a great time to be a Sigma 6 fan and especially a Joe fan in general!

I think it comes down to this....if you don't like Sigma 6 as a whole, don't roam and post in Sigma 6 threads. If you've bought a figure or two and have legitimate critiques, fire away. Why frequent boards regarding a line of toys which you hate? It makes no sense, other than you're a bitter, egomanicial S.O.B. I don't like DC comic characters and don't buy figures based on 'em (I do check them out in stores, though), therefore I don't get on DC boards and bash their product because I'm a Marvel guy. I can't imagine me doing that repeatedly and then saying "What? It's just a poke here and there?" If I did that, I'd have to admit to myself that I need therapy...or at least I should get out of the house once in a while. I guess I just have too much respect for other people and their passions.

WELLLLLL...slap a straight jacket on me, and call me CRAZY!

crazy_man_junk.gif

I'm a G.I.Joe fan that doesn't like a particular NEWFANGLED style of him and can't keep it to myself and have apparently exceeded the acceptable amount on negative commenting on it?

Friends having fun with each other, about our hobbies and interests, whether it's over one style of an action figure compared to another, or liking a different football team than everybody else, or one wrestler over another, is quite NORMAL.

Some folks here seem to want to maintain a more INFORMAL code of conduct and behavior, and others want it more open and loose and not so ultra serious.

SEE? Disagreement probably exists on just about everything, so why let it cause such a riff?

If your team wins the Super Bowl....who CARES what somebody else says about them?

If your toys are sitting on the shelves at various retail outlets, waiting for your dollars to buy'em up and take'em home...who cares if not EVERYBODY wants to buy any? Will our lack of support KILL the line and make'em go away?

I doubt it. ;)

Firefly is my favorite. Shipwreck is pretty nice but I don't like the weapons he comes with. What he need a big sword for???? A pistol that looked like his old RAH one would have been cool or just a regular pistol would have been nice. Wetsuit is decent to, but Firefly is worth getting.

Regarding this new wave of Soldier class figures....they're awesome! I haven't opened my Hi-Tech figure yet, since he was my least-wanted of this wave.

Firefly is great! Finally, he's on the right side (for him) of the battle. Great homage to his classic look. The colors and design makes sense but are upped (as is the S6 trend). He's closest to the RAH than any other Firefly figure made. I'm a little torn on the flame claws, but they're pretty cool. The duel guns are great. Face mask is also suitably terrifying, although I'm torn on which way to display him, masked or maskless?

Wet-Suit is also very cool, especially since he's a repaint of Scuba Duke with new accessories. I like the harpoon gun. With the knife attached, it's quite the terrifying weapon. The backpack doesn't work as well as Duke's as a vehicle, so it's staying on his back. His face sculpt is great, but it brings Deep Six to mind more than Wet-Suit. Still, a nice figure. My only complaint would be that I wish there was a more unifying color scheme to the underwater Joes. They don't need the same exact paint scheme, but maybe something more similar.

Shipwreck is awesome and marks a turning point of sorts for the S6 line. It seems we're veering away from the Sigma suits and getting into more individualized costumes. Seems like a small bone being thrown to long-time RAH fans. This design is very similar to the Spy Troops Shipwreck. I love the sweater/scullcap look for Shipwreck. I like the tattoos (sporting the names of lady Joes and the mermaid chick he loved in the old cartoon). His harpoon gun does indeed look like a SuperSoaker (as a friend pointed out). His sword attaches to the top of it, btw. I'm not sure about the sword as an accessory for him, but it looks deadly. I actually prefer the monkey to Polly the parrot. Sure, a parrot is more iconic for a sailor but it's also pretty silly. I can somehow buy a little monkey being sent to do "infiltration" missions. I think it's odd they didn't name him, though.

I also just received the first Commando wave of S6 via BBTS. I'll keep those reviews short (since they're kinda off topic for this thread).

Grand Slam: awesome! Again straying from the Sigma suit look. Bulky like HD (they share an upper body) which works for his specialty. His missle launcher is reminiscent of Backblast's. Cool feature is it ejects shells out of the back when it's fired! Nice SMG and knife, too.

SE w/copter: Yet another SE, but it's got double-elbows and knees, a different right wrist, and far more poseable ankles (like Marvel Legends but better). He's got 2 of his usual swords which are getting boring in my mind, a stupid knife gun/cutter, and his whirly backpack. I haven't fooled around with the copter, but it seems cool. I'm just glad to finally have a S6 with double-elbows and knees (I thought they would have them from the get-go).

SS w/flying backpack thing: Better in person. Again, he's got the new articulation which works great. The backpack does less for me than SE's. He's got a nice bladed staff (naganta? I think) and his v1 nunchucks. I'm not keen on the newer, metal faceplate they've been giving him. I prefer his v1 face. Still a pretty cool SS if you haven't gotten him in a while.

Duke w/ giant cannon: another retreat from the Sigma suit. Very drab and more "realistic" colors. I never cared from a blue-themed Duke, since I think blue should be reserved for Cobra. Cool faceplate (the Artic one just repainted). He's got a more determined face with five-o-clock shadow. The cannon is way too huge for him. Could be cooler, if it didn't have a stock which makes him holding the grip odd. He's got a new type of sidearm which I haven't fooled around with much. An okay Duke which brings him only slightly back into his RAH feel (tan color at least) but is a nice change-up from previous S6 looks (ie no blue).

These 2 waves are the best yet for Sigma 6 in my mind. A lot of cool figures, 3 new characters, and a few nice redesigns. This combined with the product list leaked for the upcoming year (Duke w/ mech/exo-suit!) and the Anniversary line, it's a great time to be a Sigma 6 fan and especially a Joe fan in general!

Well said! And congrats Jay on finding the newest wave! :)

Draven