ML figs over-articulated?

pastwatch2001

"Marvel Legends are over-articulated" That was a comment I read on another board. Anyone ever open up their ML figs and say, "damn, this boy has WAY too much articulation"? Maybe on occasion it would annoy me if the joints were loose and the figure couldn't hold a pose or stand on its own but that's about it for me. When I want pretty I have Mcfarlane but ToyBiz had the best blend of sculpt and artiuclaton for me. However it could be the Marvel Zombie in me causing the bias, what do you guys think?

They want what they can't have.

I do think there are some joints that could use work, like the funky shoulder joint on ML8 Iceman for example, but I'd rather have the occasional misfire with articulation than have less.

Exactly. I will also take that over the 50 different incarnations of Batman and Superman, as well, that are/will be in the DCSH line. @firedevil@

I think they are over-articulated and I have tons of Marvel Legends. I think there is a balance to be struck between articulation and look. The main point of articulation I hate on figures is the ball jointed hip. It just looks stupid, especially on the new Ghost Rider toys. There are ways to make the legs move from side to side and forward and backward without that stupid ball. The articulated fingers often look stupid as well. DC Direct certainly needs more articulation, but I think Marvel Legends would look much better with a little less.

The articulation is one of the things I like the best about Marvel Legends.....as some have said sometimes things don't work out all that great....but thats somewhat rare. I love DCD figures (or did, the line is a mess now), sculpts and paint work are the big selling point for those figures, but it would be nice to see a few more joints.

i love all the articulation although i will say that usually the ball joints that conect the thighs to the hip can look very ugly if they arent done right like some of the new ghost rider figs, FO ironman, and one of the spideys from the newer orgins line. for the most part they are done well and make for great posing and good looks

Maybe it´s not the articulation that bothers me, but the sculpt. Like nagauthier said, Iceman looks bad with that shoulder joint, but then u something like Bullseye, and sculpt and articulation combine perfectly.

Articulation is what originally got me interested in ML's. The thoughts of being able to put characters in almost any pose you desire, the ability to create online comics with them - that's all dependant on articulation and ML's has enough - plus some.

Hey! That's exactly what I think, too! :)

There are some figures with over-articulation.

Take the arms of Electra. Rogue, Phoenix, Ms. Marvel, Box set Invisible Woman, and Black Widow. The biceps have articulation which is not necessary. I don't know anyone in the world that can bend thier becep like an elbow. Phoenix's thigh was cut right in half when the upper part of the leg does the same form of movement. I think that is what contributed to the figure looking mechanical. I am all about articulation, but some of it is not necessary to achieve the same range of motion.

Hasbros don't have enough to tell the truth so I'd rather have too much than too little! Ironspiderman is pissing me off though Ican't get him in a decent webshoting arm pose like I want too! & it would other wise be a near perfect figure if only for a lil extra hip and wrist articulation

Of course they're not over articulated. The whole point of this line is the awesome poseability. If you don't care about the articulation then go collect the old 5 inch line. They had much wider character selection.

I just dislike the occasional misplaced joint or swivel that has no purpose or very little reason to be on the figure, but for the most part think the articulation is rad. I despise loose or extra stiff joints, if they're just right, then I love not hearing loud crashes coming from my office in the middle of the night.