Hasbro can now remove ball hips/shoulders from ML figures forever!

Jin Saotome

With the Ghost Rider movie line, Hasbro has introduced a new half-n-half joint at the knee. A swivel/ball upper knee and right below that the classic hinge knee. The top part of the knee mimics their Sigma 6 and Star Wars joint. If you're familiar with the Sigma Six figures you'll notice none of them have round balls for their shoulders or hips, the swivel is always located at the elbow or knee.

Well when they put that joint into the knees of the Ghost Rider figures, it created their first 'spinning meat'! All of the figure's upper thighs spin around while the lower leg stays still. A lot of people were complaining about the tiny-looking ball hips of these figures. What can be done? Just remove the ball hips and make it a hinge joint to the side, like Sigma 6 figures, leaving the lower knee to spin. That's really the only part that needs to move anyway.

Here's a quick example:

GRHips.jpg

Now I know some people like the ball hips. They've become a staple for everyone to see. But I glued The ball hip of My GR figure and completly covered over them with Apoxie Sculpt. Guess what? The articulation remains exactly the same! There's some more bonuses as well:

#1. Paint rub overall and on the hard inner disc will be gone, only a little of the disc needs to show at the top.

#2. Breakage will be reduced dramaticly because you don't have the thin plastic underneath the hip to tear away at the peg, it's all one piece! No more stuck hips.

#3. No more swapped thighs, they only face one way with the hip hinge.

#4. Better looking, flowing sculpt. Paint apps from the hip down will also stay in one place since they won't be on a moving ball anymore. No more peg holes either!

#5. Same range of articulation and then some. Currently when you turn a figure's arm, the front or back of the bicep smacks the chest or the figure's side, making their arms scoot out and scraping paint off in some cases. Now the arm can turn at the elbow, eleminating this problem.

You could do the shoulders the same exact way. Hasbro almost pulled this off with their Ultimate Ghost Rider. He doesn't have ball shoulders, but unfortunatly lacks the swivel at the elbow and cannot cross his arms. All Hasbro has to do is include both joints in the knees and elbows of their ML figures. The Sigma 6 joint as the upper, and the regular hinge on the lower. These are the kind of advances in articulation that we're looking for!

HumanTorch.jpg

Is that not simler to some ML figure's like Human Torch and Kraven had and most from Season 1 and 2?

Like in the pic.

I think Sodom is saying that the GR movie figures has swivel lower legs under the knees, eliminating ball joints and extra unsightly lines like the ones Human torch and Kraven sports.

Forgive my naivety, these figures aren't available here yet, but does the new knee articlation replace the double joint or work with it?

The ability to bend the ankle right up behind the leg is pretty important to me. I'm an articulation junkie and, for my own personal taste, articulation should mimic human movement as closely as possible. If the new joint still bends back all the way I'm all for it! If not, I'd rather have a couple of unsightly lines or bulbs if it means I can get natural looking poses.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as unneccessary articulation... Like the early ML female figures that had that free rotating upper arm piece (e.g., Elektra)... I mean, you could turn it all the way around independant of the rest of the arm! I thought it was a bit cheeky of Toybiz claiming this as 2 extra points of articulation!

@poop#

Forgive my naivety, these figures aren't available here yet, but does the new knee articlation replace the double joint or work with it?

The ability to bend the ankle right up behind the leg is pretty important to me. I'm an articulation junkie and, for my own personal taste, articulation should mimic human movement as closely as possible. If the new joint still bends back all the way I'm all for it! If not, I'd rather have a couple of unsightly lines or bulbs if it means I can get natural looking poses.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as unneccessary articulation... Like the early ML female figures that had that free rotating upper arm piece (e.g., Elektra)... I mean, you could turn it all the way around independant of the rest of the arm! I thought it was a bit cheeky of Toybiz claiming this as 2 extra points of articulation!

@poop#

Yup, full range of knee-motion.

GRMods_005.jpg

And yeah, as they are, the figure's upper legs are now 'spinning meat' since the leg spins at the knee now as well. All they have to do is make the hip one piece instead of the ball to fix it.

@poop#

GRMods_005.jpg

And yeah, as they are, the figure's upper legs are now 'spinning meat' since the leg spins at the knee now as well. All they have to do is make the hip one piece instead of the ball to fix it.

It looks better without the ball joints and the cut legs. Hopefully, Mattel follows with their DC figs since I would love to see a batman with double hinge legs.

@poop#

Agreed. tb give a few of their figs unneccessary joints like the ball joints and the cut lines on several ml like Professor X and Mad Jack.

GRMods_005.jpg

That works for me!

And thanks for the great photo btw!

I am all for the leg change because it really does look better, but I wouldn't want the same for the shoulder areas. Some poses with the arms require the biceps to swivel in order to make it look natural.

For instance, put your arm out in front of you and bend it at the elbow horizontally, like you're holding a shield up, and the bicep rotates with it. There's some other poses too that I wouldn't want to sacrifice for this new joint, but other than that this is something to look into. Great find.

Yeah, I'd like to find a nice 'inbetween' for a shoulder joint. I mean I LOVE how the Ultimate Ghost Rider's shoulders look. They're so natural and smooth, but they don't have a swivel at the bicep (or at the elbow, so he's straight-armed). Of course I don't want to sacrifice articulation for it like the Ult GR did, there's gotta be something else out there tho.

Yeah, kudos to 5 people getting involved in the topic. :D

Those 4 pages of replies and pictures were just arguments against getting rid of the ball hips/shoulders and going with swivel knees/elbows. Paint it however you want to, but just because people don't agree with your thinking doesn't mean they're wrong or out of line. I know you like to think of yourself as the voice of the majority, but you're not even close.

And really, if the place is so bad, stop going. You go on and on about the Fwoosh on numerous other sites, yet you keep returning and posting more there than anywhere else.