G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary Storm Shadow Figure

JayC

I have mixed feelings. They look definitely worth my dollar BUT these are my positions:

1. They look incredible. Excellent sculpting and detail. The costume designs are old school homeage as expected for a 25th Anniversary tribute. AND that is exactly what these are. They will look fantastic on the shelf! At least 2 sets here.

2. The articulation is tastefully done. The points aren't as obvious as I anticipated. Which is a very good thing.

The articulation is NOT at the wrist, but the forearm, and it looks like crap.
I agree, I'm not too thrilled with this either. These are the ML customs you guys have done in 3.75. While they are VERY impressive, it's just not for me. I still want the fine balance of awesome sculpts, some realistic detail without "weathering" (ie not too many colors, and bionic joints every where) while still looking like a mass produced action figure toy. These are ART. It's just too much. I'm sure a handful will find a slot in my main collection like Flint and hopefully Zartan, and Scarlett. If the line continued in this format, they would be really awesome for someone just starting out. I simply can't after investing so much thus far.

As is, these are again probably the experimental sets for the newbs and really rich folk to start an entirely new collection.

Hats off to the Hasbro team for these. I know you really put forth a lot of love into these guys. So far they look really impressive.

I said it before and will say until my last days that purely NEW molds done for mid/late 2004-06 are the ticket.

Torch rules!

When Hasbro released pics of the Revenge of the Sith figures.. a lot of the pics were really really airbrushed and dolled up to look real good.. just to warn you guys, some of that shading may just be that

Yeah, these are touched. Look at the ROCC images on HTS.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I look at this pic, the more I'm getting the feeling that the arm articulation is gonna be much like it was on the ROTS Clone Troopers, which gave a great range of motion, while not showing off where the joint actually was.

Yep, and it looks like the head is rest on a ball joint neck.

I'm getting the sense that this figure will look good doing a really deep spread-eagled crouch.

Which is really what the character was meant to do anyway....

I'm also thinking that things like that forearm swivel are not set as standard, that SOME figures will have wrist swivels based on their design--if the character wears gloves for example.

I liked the ganged-hinged knees, and don't mind if the elbows lack that same kind of joint. I think the artie presents enough options to make these really fun.

The more I look at this pic, the more I'm getting the feeling that the arm articulation is gonna be much like it was on the ROTS Clone Troopers, which gave a great range of motion, while not showing off where the joint actually was.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? @hmmm@

Sheesh...

People complained that it'll look like crap, while other thought it would be sigma 6.

Then we finally get a taste of what to come...those same people still are finding something to complain about.

Just enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nothing will ever be perfect in life.

Personally, I love the Storm Shadow figure. If all of the figures are similar, then its going to be crazy trying to find these.

I can see customizers screaming all ready and drooling at the possiblities--myself included.

I can't wait to see the others.

db

Hmm, well so far so good... I'm loving the RAH design, of course. At first glance it doesn't appear to have an o-ring, but I hope it at least has more or less the same joint in the waist - not just the ML-style "chest articulation" but something that may be hidden by the belt, and not just a swivel either.

for those of you who are saying super hero showdown, not to nitpick but it doesn't really appear so if you look at the way the arms and legs appear to go into the body. They have balls on the outside that the arms go on, this looks more traditional than that. But other than that yeah the added near microman level of articulation.

Yeah, I like that. The arms look more or less "traditional", and the neck looks to be double-jointed, like a combination of traditional ball joint and newer "Star Wars style" upper ball joint, like you see in the Major Barrage figure. I like that.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be picking this one up at least - I'm sure the photo isn't doctored TOO much! I just hope the others look as good, and I'm still hoping for a similar construction style to RAH. Maybe minus the o-ring but with the same range of motion and the ability to disassemble the figure in pretty much the same way. I don't know why I like that, because I'm not a customizer, but I do.

Not liking the rumour of five-packs, unless the troops come four+one officer in a pack. If that's the case I might like it better... But I'd still prefer the VOTC approach to packaging, I think, at least when it came to individual characters anyway.

Your one hard man to please, VH.

Not necessarily.

I've been around a long time with this hobby, and have been "pleased" with quite a majority of it, but over the last 5 years or so there's definitely been some bad design changes, and various gimmicks added.

We're all so desperate for G.I.Joe product (the non-Sigma Six camp anyway) I'd have to think that many here are not looking objectively ENOUGH at this FIRST shot of the 25th anniversary edition?

I see some major flaws and crappy features on it, first and foremost the lack of an O-ring, and I don't think that feeling is going to improve with time or having one in HAND.

its not the actual figure, its just a drawing.

Actually, it's a prototype figure that's been photoshopped like crazy.

I would normally concur with you but the picture has way too many shadows on it for its tiny size which leads me to believe it is a drawing. but we shall see when the final product is released.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? @hmmm@

Definately a good thing. I liked the way the ROTS Clone Troopers arms were articulated, and I think they'll work out great on this new Joe line, if that's the way they decide to go.

Guest McBragg

Nice picture. Unfortunately nice pictures don't always equal great figures. I ain't gushing...yet. Seems people are jumping to conclusion, positive and negative. I won't know until I see more, heck, maybe until I see it in stores.

Based on the torso's shoulders, it still looks like Storm Shadow will not be able to raise his sword above his head with both hands on the grip, which is a shame.... because that's a cool pose. ;)

Does this make it seem that Wave 4 is as a good as dead? Are they the new Ninja Commandos? The new Manimals? WILL WE EVER KNOW?

Your one hard man to please, VH.

Not necessarily.

I've been around a long time with this hobby, and have been "pleased" with quite a majority of it, but over the last 5 years or so there's definitely been some bad design changes, and various gimmicks added.

We're all so desperate for G.I.Joe product (the non-Sigma Six camp anyway) I'd have to think that many here are not looking objectively ENOUGH at this FIRST shot of the 25th anniversary edition?

I see some major flaws and crappy features on it, first and foremost the lack of an O-ring, and I don't think that feeling is going to improve with time or having one in HAND.

its not the actual figure, its just a drawing.

Actually, it's a prototype figure that's been photoshopped like crazy.

I would normally concur with you but the picture has way too many shadows on it for its tiny size which leads me to believe it is a drawing. but we shall see when the final product is released.

Hasbro did the same thing with their prototype pics of ML Series 2. They just doctor them with photoshop, and add in all the shadowing.

It's just an annoying thing hasbro does to all there press photo's latley, They think the shading makes them look dynamic, but i think it makes them look to artifcial. I think they should back to just taking nice glamor photo's

Like lipstick on a pig?

@loll@

wow. amazing. the only problems i have with it are: the shadeing, the swivel forarms (i mean i get that normal people can't swivel their wrists but the joint in the pic just looks bad), the proportions look kinda off to me.... maybe its just the pic, and wow, this is not going to blend in very well with my other joes.

it actually looks too good to me. when i first glanced at the pic i thought it was another stormy bust. but hey look at that its a new figure!

what do you people have against the sandals? he is a ninja you know.

was there any mention as to the cost of these? it looks a lot better then the single carded figures and we were all(most of us anyway) complaining about that price.

I don't understand why a lot of folks here are disapointed.

It would seem that this would be the most logical direction for Hasbro to go.

Its a great update to what was made in the 80's.

stormshadow7lj.jpg

If you wanted it to look ARAH we got this one a while back, too.

447dh.jpg

I'm not worshiping the new image but I am definitely happy with it.

I can also say I am very impress with Hasbro for doing this.

And I can only speak for myself but I am sure as heck going to be buying these up.

:blink: What thread are you reading? Everyone except Viper Hunter loves it.

Only thing I don't like is that this one has sandles on, and the older one doesnt.

I like the sandals. It's a great way to add new detail but not anything drastic that takes away from the RAH design.

Does this make it seem that Wave 4 is as a good as dead? Are they the new Ninja Commandos? The new Manimals? WILL WE EVER KNOW?

Personally I couldn't care less. DTC was very hit or miss... I loved the Crimson Guard, Snow Serpent and Major Barrage, but the rest were kind of... meh. The fourth wave in particular looked lame as hell - I don't think I would have gotten a single figure.

That got me thinking though... I want to see what they can do with a Night Viper now!

Personally I couldn't care less. DTC was very hit or miss... I loved the Crimson Guard, Snow Serpent and Major Barrage, but the rest were kind of... meh.

WoW really? I thought DTC was the best thing going for Gi Joe... The Sculpts really looked detailed and the card art was great... very original looking. Then again thats just me... :)

But I agree Snow Serpent, Crimson Guard, and Barrage were sweet.

:blink: What thread are you reading? Everyone except Viper Hunter loves it.

My opinion must mean a "LOT"? @haha@

Seriously though...I do seem to be the only one griping, everyone else is creaming their panties.

I can only hope that I still work at toys r us when these hit the shelves. I was hoping to get rid of the rest of my credit card debt, but now I could surely take a THIRD job to pick up the new line--if they look as good when toy fair shoes them off without the photoshopping. It would have been nice to take a break from searching for Star Wars and G.I. Joe stuff for a while, but oh well. And I hope to god they don't make billions of different Duke figures--whoever thought that anyone would buy ten different versions of Duke in the SS line should have been keel hauled.