FIRST OFFICIAL MENTION OF 25th ANNIVERSARY LINE!!!

Arashikage Storm

I reserve judgement until I see some images of the new figures. I am jacked about the line being sold at multiple places, as it will give some incentive for retailers to keep the prices more reasonable. Also, it means that my favorite toy line of all time will have one more chance to try to be as good as the comic book packs, and I can hold out a last, faint hope for a GI Joe VS Transformers line of collector packs.

Yo Joe!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that this Anniversary line is celebrating the characters who have lasted for 25 years. Not necessarily the style of the figures.

I like the o-ring for the poseability and the ease that it allows with customizing. However if Hasbro can improve upon the design so that we still have waist and some kind of torso joint then I'd be cool with that as well.

As far as these fitting in with past releases, I don't really care. As long as their not anime/Sigma Six inspired which is part of what I'm still fearing will happen.

I"ll still make customs the way I want by using parts from the anniverary line and past releases.

my sentiments exactly. it is amazing how opposed to anything new toy collectors are, which is probably why they are toy collectors -- living completely in the past. they have a mental block on any sort of progress which is probably evident in all aspects of their lives. move forward people, enjoy the past and embrace the future. how can your lives be pleasurable if you not only experience the same experiences over and over again but only want to experience the same experiences and are vehemently opposed to progress of any sort. does a Wii suck because it isn't the 8 bit NES you had as a kid as well?

this collectors line is a celebration of the brand G.I. Joe A Real American Hero and the ideas that made it popular, not the exact figures that were produced 25 years ago. so while the character designs will more than likely be based on the designs 25 years ago to celebrate those characters, the figures will be updated for the current time period. that is exactly what the Star Wars VOTC line was. Hasbro didn't take the poorly sculpted figures from the original Star Wars line and only add articulation, they completely resculpted them with todays technology and production capabilities to make all new figures that were releveant to todays market. That is what this Anniversary line is meant to be, not merely a rehash of old figures in new packages. didn't we already get that throughout the relaunch?

hopefully, the packaging is identical to the original toys and uses the original art which is the himage to the original line, with all new figures that are superior to the old ones. essentially, what the line would have been 25 years ago if it had todays technology.

my sentiments exactly. it is amazing how opposed to anything new toy collectors are, which is probably why they are toy collectors -- living completely in the past. they have a mental block on any sort of progress which is probably evident in all aspects of their lives. move forward people, enjoy the past and embrace the future. how can your lives be pleasurable if you not only experience the same experiences over and over again but only want to experience the same experiences and are vehemently opposed to progress of any sort. does a Wii suck because it isn't the 8 bit NES you had as a kid as well?

I think that the vast majority of collectors here are willing to accept that they're going to be new sculpt figures and better than anything RAH offered, but that doesn't mean we want something that's so completely different, it doesn't really feel like G.I. Joe to us. When it comes to RAH, a huge part of that is the basic o-ring type of construction. I welcome improved sculpting and articulation (to a point - I think we can agree that some brands have gone over the top when it comes to points of articulation), but I still want these to "feel" like 3 3/4" GI Joe figures, not the VOTC Star Wars line.

Look at it this way - the Wii would not be nearly as cool if it didn't offer games that remind us of the old 8-bit system, like Metroid, Zelda and Mario!

EDIT: Come to think of it, Nintendo is planning to release the old-school games on the Wii, via download right? Similarly, I DO enjoy the odd RAH reissue of course!

I said it before, I'll say it again. I'm not so attached to left over plumbing supplies that I'd pass on a awesome figure just cause it doesn't have it. So I'll just have to wait and see...hopefully tomm. We'll see at least one figure.

I said it before, I'll say it again. I'm not so attached to left over plumbing supplies that I'd pass on a awesome figure just cause it doesn't have it. So I'll just have to wait and see...hopefully tomm. We'll see at least one figure.

Thats my thinking as well, theres 21 days left till toy fair, and they said they'd show 10 leading up to toy-fair. I don't think they'll put up one each day 10 days before toyfair, i think they'll do some then wait a day or two do some more....

So I'm expecting to see the first one monday, defintley sometime in the beginning of the week.

Ladies 'n Gents...errr or maybe Gents only...I just wanted to officially announce that I believe that this is the longest thread talking about actual GI Joe figures IN A LONG TIME!

Hurray!

and isn't it great? Man i miss the excitment of the new sculpt era where all of us would drool before toyfair and there would be leaked prototype pics, and rumors galore! joe is coming back to life again!

I feel that this Anniversary line is celebrating the characters who have lasted for 25 years. Not necessarily the style of the figures.

Then they should just release a comic book instead.

I like the o-ring for the poseability and the ease that it allows with customizing. However if Hasbro can improve upon the design so that we still have waist and some kind of torso joint then I'd be cool with that as well.

For a 25th anniversary special addition, at a period of time that's offering slim pickens for the 3.75" camp, I'd feel better knowing they're NOT attempting their hand at some new fangled, ultra articulated experimentation on them. <_<

As far as these fitting in with past releases, I don't really care. As long as their not anime/Sigma Six inspired which is part of what I'm still fearing will happen.

here here! ^_^

I look at that "left-over plumbing supply" as the "GUTS" of a G.I.Joe figure! Makes'em seem more life-like in appearance having real rubber spinal chords in'em. @lol@

For a 25th anniversary special addition, at a period of time that's offering slim pickens for the 3.75" camp, I'd feel better knowing they're NOT attempting their hand at some new fangled, ultra articulated experimentation on them. <_<

Pfft, nobody buys comic books anymore, and they certainly aren't carried by a majority of major retailers.

Sadly, retailers (who do have the final say) may not have wanted that. What good is a product if 80% of the already shrinking market won't carry it?

Personally, I say it is time GI Joe evolved. Star Wars did it, Transformers did it, Marvel did it, but GI Joe is largely the same it was in the 1980s until Sigma Six. There is a LARGE part of the GI Joe community who don't like the new sculpts, and that is fine.

But expecting Hasbro to compromise their business, profits, and market to appease a group that hasn't shown them much support is foolish. MC is still doing RAH and will continue to do so.

I have faith because I know Dwight Stall (who sculpted the kickass 2005 figures with the new joints) is doing the line.

congrats, most specious argument of the thread.

I'd be happy as long as they are more compatible with the classic scuplts. I loved to look at new sculpt figures but every time i tried to impliment them into the Dio they was simply urk me too much and I'd end up frustrated.

So I don't care if it's a whole new kind of figure as long as it's a quality figure that fits in with my 3 3/4 inch army and can be used in a Dio.

I'm excited. I've got a feeling that they would have planned this pretty well.

I'm already getting the vibe that these things are going to be highly disappointing! :(

Too many of the resident Hasbro tools are jumping in here, to defend the worst case scenario of an O-ringless figure, and why we need to get over it and get with the times, on action figure construction 2007! :rolleyes:

WHO.. would a 25th anniversary edition (of G.I.Joe figures) appeal to (mostly) in the first place and be produced FOR to begin with? The small, ungrateful and non-supportive fans of them for the last 25 years maybe?

God forbid we have some preferences on their appearance and construction. <_<

Personally, I say it is time GI Joe evolved. Star Wars did it, Transformers did it, Marvel did it, but GI Joe is largely the same it was in the 1980s until Sigma Six.

Which is fine, because that's what they're DOING with Sigma Six, and what they tried to do with the whole Joe Vs. Cobra and VVV lines. But if the whole point of this new wave is to celebrate the anniversary of RAH, shouldn't it bear more than a passing resemblance (or scale) to RAH?

I have faith because I know Dwight Stall (who sculpted the kickass 2005 figures with the new joints) is doing the line.

That sounds really good. I hate to sound negative, because I REALLY hope this line turns out well, but I just don't think GI Joes need to "evolve" into Star Wars figures. I love the concept of the VOTC line, and I'd love added articulation and great sculpting - it's great that they seem to be taking that concept to GI Joe, but I just want these to still feel like GI Joes and not Star Wars figures.

I think HASBRO is moving all their lines to work with one another. So that kids have the ability to do crossovers. Its already been done with Stars wars and Tranformers. Plus the marvel line is also starting to join in the trend. I have the feeling that is also the direction the Gi JOes will take.

The 25th anniversary figures is directed towards everyone. With a mixture of old and new components. Once again the collectors themselves can not support the line itself. Remember DTC.............

People claim not to be negative, but are already dissing a product they haven't even seen. How is that possible i'll never know.

WHO.. would a 25th anniversary edition (of G.I.Joe figures) appeal to (mostly) in the first place and be produced FOR to begin with? The small, ungrateful and non-supportive fans of them for the last 25 years maybe?

the whole 25th Anniversary thing is only a maketing tool to make them more interesting, but the point of the toys is to appeal to EVERYONE, not just nostalgia driven adults. the 25th Anniversary concept creates the connection for adults to the toys of their past and the toys themselves are meant to appeal to toy buyers of today, which includes children and collectors who may not be old enough to have played with the originals but are into cool toys.

whether you like them or not or prefer a certain style or not is simply preference and no one can argue with that, but when you start to project your preference on to the concepts themselves to somehow claim your prefrence is somehow more correct shows your lack of rationality. you don't like the new products, fine, that's cool. but that does not mean new products are not faithful in concept and celebrates the toyline, which is what is is trying to do, not mimic it.

At this point I could care less if the O ring is gone!! I used to feel differently but i don't know. I don't even care if they fit in with the other past 3 3/4 lines, and most likey they will not like RAH and JvC did not. I just want them to look great and I think, I think they just might be if the end up using VOTC as the base idea.

Draven

People claim not to be negative, but are already dissing a product they haven't even seen. How is that possible i'll never know.

It's called SPECULATION. Other people seem to be praising a product they haven't even seen, too.

I'm still hopeful that they'll be good, but I'm not going to buy whatever Hasbro decides to throw at us. There's nothing wrong with stating my preference in terms of construction, and hoping the product will more or less end up the way I want it to.

At least it's not as bad as the TF forum, people already seem to love the upcoming movie... The rest of us are just being more realistic! ;)

I think your putting to much into the 25th Anniversary tagline. Thats obviously just a marketing ploy to try and launch a new 3 3/4" line which I guess they hope will sell better then their previous attempts at doing 3 3/4" in recent years. Seems to me they are just digging a bigger hole though. Now not only are the classic RAH people going to be unhappy, but now the people who have been collecting and spending money on the new sculpt figures over the past several years have to start all over (assuming these are some new o-ringless design). Unless these new figures are really nice looking I think I will just pass and stick with the 8" Sigma 6.

I have been away for a few days and the good news comes. Someone asked if the Joe forum will be more lively. Well all I can say to that is that I'll Definetley be back now. Welcome me, lol. I'd like to see a Storm Shadow on the Joe side like in the new comics.