FIRST OFFICIAL MENTION OF 25th ANNIVERSARY LINE!!!

Arashikage Storm

Yes, i guess so, as the VOTC line has done well, and hasbro seems to be putting out waves of those, it would make sense for the TWENTY FIFTH anniversary of the RAH line to be based on RAH figures.

-saboteur

Well, bare in mind there ARE more "Star Wars Geeks" than "G.I. Joe Geeks." :mellow:

Thing is, the older RAH figures just don't seem SUITED for more articulation. Do you really think that swivel wrist would work?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the articulation issue....I'm not a big fan of the EXCESS crap, like swivel thighs, hinged ankles or swivel boots.

Any acceptable deviation (for me) from the articulation features of the '85-'94 Joes, would be the swivel wrists. Everything else distracts from the figure and usually requires a skin-tight spandex looking outfit (like S6) to allow for the extra points of articulation.

Only Super Hero's wear that crap and of course Sigma Six Joes! @grumpy@

All that articulation on a military soldier, in fatigues, looks like crap (imo) and not EVERY Joe is a ninja.

Just squat and hold your weapon right is good enough for me....oh, and sit properly in a vehicle! @cool@

I more or less agree, but they've been able to fit swivel "feet" in pretty well with Star Wars figures. It usually seems to be right at the top of the boot, which makes the joint virtually invisible. They usually seem to be able to do the hinged ankles alright too, but I agree that it's not really necessary.

I would hate it if they decided to change the style to something like Marvel Legends. Now that's too much...

I've heard from an insider at another toy company that the following will apply to this Annivesary line:

1. At the very least, ninjas will have double-elbows and knees.

2. Characters will be in their most popular (ie classic) looks. For instance, SE will most likely be based on his second, visored uniform.

3. The O-Ring is gone. If you think about it, you don't really need it. A ball & socket can accomplish the same movement.

I haven't heard about specific characters or vehicles.

I don't Marvel's Showdown figures could pass Hasbro's quality control. They fell apart too easily. I think the lines will have an opposite progression. I think if the Joe Anniversary figures are successful, I think Hasbro will apply this type of figure to the Marvel license.

From previous rumors, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't O-Ring. I am dissapointed if this is true but won't write them off until I see them. As for the articulation. Again, not too excited. Never was a fan of the swivel wrists and despise the moveable ankles, boots, etc. The Night Creeper was an exception. I think that figure is pretty awesome but wouldn't want to see all the characters in this way. I like the direction the figures have been heading since Valor Venom-DTC. If they just kept that platform and invested in new molds like Barrage, Cover Girl, Torch etc, I'd be very happy. I don't think we will see much more of them though.They have already released most of the characters from 2003 to date. Unfortunately the design base hasn't been consistant and there's no way they will re-release the muff ups.

This set doubles as an experiement as well as a tribute to the 3.75 line and GIJOE, NOT intended to assimilate with the main run of previous figures. This is a different animal. Brilliant business strategy if you think about it. We get new product, and the others who don't collect will be tempted to buy. Once in retail stores like Target or Wally's, the customers who haven't thought about JOE since childhood will browse and pick it up for nostalgia sake, and a new crop of kids will be taken in. They (Hasbro) probably hope the revenue will be serve as capital to respark the line in this new form. If the set is received well by us all, they can continue with other characters in this new design platform. But knowing the old school collectors, I doubt they will want to again invest in an entirely new figure to collect in huge proportions, myself included. But if it works, they will have both the new and old collectors, as stated in their ad.

Though I don't sound enthusastic...I AM! @firedevil@

I'm really curious what these guys look like. They would have to almost be poor quality that of the 2.5" S6 crap, for me not to buy at least one set.

Thing is, the older RAH figures just don't seem SUITED for more articulation. Do you really think that swivel wrist would work?

No, i dont think swivel wrists would work, and i hope they dont have swivel wrists. Kids will buy gi joes if they have 7 points of articulatoion or 9, it really wouldnt matter to them. Hasbro thinks that collectors want articulation...and some do...but it is going to be hard for them to please BOTH new and old collectors. It will be very interesting to see their approach. I dont know how they could talk about pleasing both parties without considering a VOTC type line.

-saboteur

This line is going to be better than sex.

You'd have to be qualified to make THAT statement!

Get back with us, only AFTER you've had some!

@loll@

@smilepunch@

From previous rumors, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't O-Ring.

This set doubles as an experiement as well as a tribute to the 3.75 line and GIJOE, NOT intended to assimilate with the main run of previous figures. This is a different animal. Brilliant business strategy if you think about it.

@hmmm@ depressing thoughts there.

Good lord, I hope this WON'T be the case, and some crappy "tribute" run, of main characters (which Hasbro knows will sell no matter what size, shape or form of painted molded plastic, they slap the familiar name on) and just a display piece of sorts? :(

For an example of a figure that just impressed and thrilled the heck out of me, looked awesome, and had a few NEW articulation features (wrist, shoulders, elbow and head) the major Barrage figure would be the style I could tolerate on these 25th anniv. releases.

6169912438ac_Main400.jpg

The head thing was a little different, but lent itself to some pretty cool details around the chest and shoulders and I kinda ended up liking it, but if they dropped the feature, wouldn't bum me out or anything, but the figure style still rocks.

For an example of a figure that just impressed and thrilled the heck out of me, looked awesome, and had a few NEW articulation features (wrist, shoulders, elbow and head) the major Barrage figure would be the style I could tolerate on these 25th anniv. releases.

6169912438ac_Main400.jpg

The head thing was a little different, but lent itself to some pretty cool details around the chest and shoulders and I kinda ended up liking it, but if they dropped the feature, wouldn't bum me out or anything, but the figure style still rocks.

I would say...add ball jointed hips instead of the oring, swivel waist, and the Star Wars ball joint knees and ankles, and I don't think that would be too far off from what we're probably getting with the 25th line.

No, i dont think swivel wrists would work, and i hope they dont have swivel wrists. Kids will buy gi joes if they have 7 points of articulatoion or 9, it really wouldnt matter to them. Hasbro thinks that collectors want articulation...and some do...but it is going to be hard for them to please BOTH new and old collectors. It will be very interesting to see their approach. I dont know how they could talk about pleasing both parties without considering a VOTC type line.

-saboteur

From what i've seen most collectors want more articulation. Look at the massive success of marvel legends and they went overboard with it. But how many of us here love barrage with his added articulation?

and yes kids will notice that 1$ knock offs like power team elite (and i like em, but they still feel like k o s to me.) have more articulation than joe!

I know it's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but you do appear in the minority, THANK GOODNESS.

I've heard from an insider at another toy company that the following will apply to this Annivesary line:

2. Characters will be in their most popular (ie classic) looks. For instance, SE will most likely be based on his second, visored uniform.

3. The O-Ring is gone. If you think about it, you don't really need it. A ball & socket can accomplish the same movement.

I really don't like points 1 and 3. What I really hated about the Star Wars line was the lack of any consistency or standard articulation. While the Stormtrooper from the VOTC line was awesome, I hated that others had cut elbows rather than ball-joints, etc... So specifically mentioning the ninjas instead of ALL the figures bothers me.

And I don't need to tell you that getting rid of the o-ring is a stupid move. The ball-jointed waists of the super-articulated Star Wars figures is not without it's problems. I've found several of them to be loose, and once they're loose, you can't replace it with a new one like you can with the o-rings. Plus there's the obvious desire to have them fit in more or less with my other Joes... Didn't Hasbro learn their lesson about this? My enthusiasm for the line went down about 80% after hearing this.

I would say...add ball jointed hips instead of the oring, swivel waist, and the Star Wars ball joint knees and ankles, and I don't think that would be too far off from what we're probably getting with the 25th line.

ugh! @grumpy@

No O-ring....they can shove'em high up there!

From what i've seen most collectors want more articulation. Look at the massive success of marvel legends and they went overboard with it. But how many of us here love barrage with his added articulation?

For a 3 3/4" G.I.Joe action figure.....Barrage works splendidly!

I have no interest in ML figures, never have and have ill feelings towards them for the fact they gave hasbro the inspiration to copycat them in the form of Sigma Six Joes, because fans attending the cons (small % of fans worldwide) dragged their ML custom Joes in there and made a fuss about'em. <_<

Super Hero's are a breed of their own and have a fanbase much LARGER than even good'ol G.I.Joe could ever hope to gather. They've been around longer and with just the interest in the comic books ALONE (that have featured them for DECADES) there's going to be a larger market for anything to do with all the great characters from all the Marvel comics and amongst a wider age bracket.

G.I.Joe doesn't need to even ATTEMPT to compete with this (imo) and should have kept it's dignity amongst the 12" and 3 3/4" loyalists.

Hasbro threw us under the bus for a piece of the ML pie! @grumpy@

It's not ALL about the "articulation" that makes ML so popular, it's the characters....same with G.I.Joe, and there is such a thing as TOO MUCH! What works for one scale won't always work in another, and it changed the direction of our joes.....to the worse! (imo)

I really don't like points 1 and 3. What I really hated about the Star Wars line was the lack of any consistency or standard articulation. While the Stormtrooper from the VOTC line was awesome, I hated that others had cut elbows rather than ball-joints, etc... So specifically mentioning the ninjas instead of ALL the figures bothers me.

And I don't need to tell you that getting rid of the o-ring is a stupid move. The ball-jointed waists of the super-articulated Star Wars figures is not without it's problems. I've found several of them to be loose, and once they're loose, you can't replace it with a new one like you can with the o-rings. Plus there's the obvious desire to have them fit in more or less with my other Joes... Didn't Hasbro learn their lesson about this? My enthusiasm for the line went down about 80% after hearing this.

Ditto all that DPrime said! ^_^

I'm with ya brutha...I'm with ya! #US1#

So, the rubber O-ring is what matters, not the range of motion it provides? If another, sturdier joint that doesn't freaking ROT was substituted, you wouldn't be interested?

I've seen what else Hasbro has to offer, and it's no better than the range of motion the o-ring provides. Plus, that bit of construction is a large part of what GI Joes are to me. I don't want GI Joes that look and feel like Star Wars figures.

I said collectors want more articulation revsears.

Hopefully it is something on the votc star wars line of thought. That would sure make me happy. A nice tribute figure to the original, with just enough articulation for all the poses but not so many that it takes away from the look of the figure, and a somewhat updated look. Also original card art and the old style filecards (with updated bios) would put the icing on the cake. for me anyways.

-saboteur

I'm not married to the O-ring as much as i used to be, like way back when they first did the new sculpt figures they looked terrible, and one of the things was the lack of the o-ring, cause they looked dumb how they were. Then theres all the action feature figures in VvV that look awful because of the action feature and the stange looking crotches. I completley understand the need for the o-rings there and for the sake of constiancy.

But these new figures are an all new thing in of themsleves, i only care about them being consistant with each other. While the times in the past habro has varied from the O-ring they've turned out some terrible figures, There are ways to make Good figures without the o-ring as well. If they make something that looks good and has a great range of movment sweet. If they use the o-ring thats fine too.

This set doubles as an experiement as well as a tribute to the 3.75 line and GIJOE, NOT intended to assimilate with the main run of previous figures. This is a different animal. Brilliant business strategy if you think about it. We get new product, and the others who don't collect will be tempted to buy. Once in retail stores like Target or Wally's, the customers who haven't thought about JOE since childhood will browse and pick it up for nostalgia sake, and a new crop of kids will be taken in. They (Hasbro) probably hope the revenue will be serve as capital to respark the line in this new form. If the set is received well by us all, they can continue with other characters in this new design platform. But knowing the old school collectors, I doubt they will want to again invest in an entirely new figure to collect in huge proportions, myself included. But if it works, they will have both the new and old collectors, as stated in their ad.

That's not a very strong selling point. Most of us WANT to be able to mix old and new together! They already had SIGMA SIX for the "different animal" that can't be assimilitade.

6169912438ac_Main400.jpg

I'm not really a fan of the new head look. Look at the pic, the head looks like it was photoshopped onto the body.

Actually, Barrage looks okay, but the others have "Squat Neck Syndrome."

-saboteur

and yes kids will notice that 1$ knock offs like power team elite (and i like em, but they still feel like k o s to me.) have more articulation than joe!

I know it's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but you do appear in the minority, THANK GOODNESS.

Exactly. I'm not sure I understand his argument. Swivel wrists is probably THE most wanted added articulation. What else is there: thighs and ankles....? So, if he doesn't want wrist articulation, that just leaves thighs and ankles?

I'm not married to the O-ring as much as i used to be, like way back when they first did the new sculpt figures they looked terrible, and one of the things was the lack of the o-ring, cause they looked dumb how they were. Then theres all the action feature figures in VvV that look awful because of the action feature and the stange looking crotches. I completley understand the need for the o-rings there and for the sake of constiancy.

But these new figures are an all new thing in of themsleves, i only care about them being consistant with each other. While the times in the past habro has varied from the O-ring they've turned out some terrible figures, There are ways to make Good figures without the o-ring as well. If they make something that looks good and has a great range of movment sweet. If they use the o-ring thats fine too.

Well, the O-Ring IS pretty definitive for 80s G.I. Joe. But I can understand getting rid of it. But all the figure lines I've ever seen that didn't use it look kinda crappy or unrealistic. The Power Team figures actually have nice non-O-Ring thigh/waist articulation, but they are so blocky, for example.

I was one of the loudest proponents for keeping the O-ring back in the day, but only for the poseability results that it brought to the figure*.

Ball and socket waist articulation is the same thing and lasts longer than the rubber in the O-ring. IMO, Hasbro's doing the right thing with this.

-PJ

*I got enough custom fodder to last me for years.

For my want list, I'd like to see the following in my opinion...

Joes

Snake-Eyes (comes with two heads: v1 and v2)

Scarlett (w/long hair in ponytail)

Stalker

Duke

Flint

Lady Jaye (two heads: one with cap; one without)

Roadblock

Shipwreck

Snow Job

Torpedo

Gung Ho

Beach Head

Spirit

Cobra

Cobra Commander (comes with two heads: v1 mask and v2 hood)

Baroness

Destro

Zartan

Buzzer

Ripper

Torch

Major Bludd

Serpentor

Firefly

Storm Shadow

Cobra Viper

- all figures v1 style, except Snake-Eyes v2 body

As for the construction, Microman-based except the arms more of a cross between new-sculpt Joes. I've always disliked the hands on the Microman figures.

So, the rubber O-ring is what matters, not the range of motion it provides?

@hmmm@ ummmm...the range of motion the o-ring provides, is the ONLY reason it matters so much.

If another, sturdier joint that doesn't freaking ROT was substituted, you wouldn't be interested?

Sure we would, but it hasn't shown up yet. Everything we've seen thus far.....SUCKS! It makes the figures either look goofy or unproportioned/unrealistic and isn't very customizing friendly, like our beloved, dear ol' O-rings.

Guest DavAnthony

Well if they go microman I just hope they give the figures some detail. The mircroman figure I've all seen have no texture or detail to them, plus they all look pretty anorexic.

Check these photos out super articulation SF Micro man figs with super details on them without looking anorexic

I could only hope JOE could be this super poseable

http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi...read=1160662340

Well if they go microman I just hope they give the figures some detail. The mircroman figure I've all seen have no texture or detail to them, plus they all look pretty anorexic.

Don't go taking the whole "Microman" thing too literally. The only reason Microman has been mentioned at all is because of the articulation scheme.

The figures will assuredly NOT be Microman, but MIGHT POSSIBLY borrow some of the articulation--Hasbro has said nothing about this either way.

Hasbro HAS said these will be very detailed...that alone says you can expect lots of textures and features to them, in addition to being very posable.

So, the rubber O-ring is what matters, not the range of motion it provides? If another, sturdier joint that doesn't freaking ROT was substituted, you wouldn't be interested?

I've seen what else Hasbro has to offer, and it's no better than the range of motion the o-ring provides. Plus, that bit of construction is a large part of what GI Joes are to me. I don't want GI Joes that look and feel like Star Wars figures.

Well, you can always run out to the hardware store, buy a whole whack of #7's and loop them around your Star Wars figure's heads and then they'll be just like GIJOES with O-rings.

If the figure "moves" the same way, what's the difference with, or without, the O-ring?

Or is being able to stretch a O-ringed figure apart a bit really that big a thrill?

As for the O-ring...bummer, but if they're done right I guess I can deal as long as they aren't proprtioned like Star Wars figs. I assume it's cheaper not use the O-ring, given the materials, etc. I'm not a SW collector and have pretty much nil experience with those figures but have seen a few of them. Can you take them apart without breaking them?

QUOTE(revSears @ Jan 20 2007, 11:43 AM) *

For a 3 3/4" G.I.Joe action figure.....Barrage works splendidly!

I have no interest in ML figures, never have and have ill feelings towards them for the fact they gave hasbro the inspiration to copycat them in the form of Sigma Six Joes, because fans attending the cons (small % of fans worldwide) dragged their ML custom Joes in there and made a fuss about'em. dry.gif

Super Hero's are a breed of their own and have a fanbase much LARGER than even good'ol G.I.Joe could ever hope to gather. They've been around longer and with just the interest in the comic books ALONE (that have featured them for DECADES) there's going to be a larger market for anything to do with all the great characters from all the Marvel comics and amongst a wider age bracket.

G.I.Joe doesn't need to even ATTEMPT to compete with this (imo) and should have kept it's dignity amongst the 12" and 3 3/4" loyalists.

Hasbro threw us under the bus for a piece of the ML pie! 893Grumpy-thumb.gif

It's not ALL about the "articulation" that makes ML so popular, it's the characters....same with G.I.Joe, and there is such a thing as TOO MUCH! What works for one scale won't always work in another, and it changed the direction of our joes.....to the worse! (imo)

I couldn't agree more. The design base is what makes each toy line unique. Yes new sculpts differ from ARAH but have still have a very similar design structure (ie O-ring, screws, joint functions). Change that and it's a different toy. Barrage is the plateau they should ride. No further than that and no lower than Torch!

That's not a very strong selling point. Most of us WANT to be able to mix old and new together! They already had SIGMA SIX for the "different animal" that can't be assimilitade.

I'm with you and want the same, but I'm sure Hasbro has very similar motives to that of S6. They just had the wrong product to please everyone. They want as many wallets in on this as possible, especially new collectors, because they know how biased we are. They have an opportunity to make a little from us to buy them as souvenirs if we find them to different from the previous line, whilst hopefully attracting many other newbs at the same time. If it sells REALLY well, it's a homerun. Otherwise, they at least tried and I'm sure that's the end of 3.75

PICS NOW!!! @loll@