Transformers VS Hollywood

Wheeljack35

Sci-Fi Movie Page - "More likely to appeal to nostalgic male twentysomethingers who lived through the original... Unlikely to appeal to anyone else though, especially anyone of the opposite gender."

How can it appeal to fanboys when most things about this movie seems to piss them off. It seems this movie is aimed towards a general audience, those seeking an action packed film.

I wouldn't consider myself a transformers fan until now. After seeing the trailer I became nostalgic and have just recently began collecting some transformers. I don't even remember following the G1 series. I mostly grew up on Beast Wars and so on even though I'm an 80's kid.

I look forward to this movie because I know it will be action packed and I want to see big robots kicking each other's ass!! The movie actions figures however suck ass!!

The movie actions figures however suck ass!!

I couldn't have said it better, myself. If liking the story and the designs of the original Transformers makes me a fanboy, so be it.

Just like the 98 American Godzilla, think it SUCKED then, and it sucks now. Kinda looks like the TF movie is sorta headed in that direction. Nah mean? @hmmm@

This is just an opinion, but the transformations actually seem quite refreshing and different and it's pretty cool how the designs turned out (some, not all) but I think the greatest problem of all is not the transformers themselves (and I mean the Autobots and the Decepticons) but the overall movie itself! Its darkness is not bad, a little different from the cartoons, but the seriousness of the plot and the feelings that are adhered to it should be expected since it isn't a cartoon but a live-action movie. The problem is that fact that, and this is only based on the trailer so I am obviously not sure if this is how the actual movie is going to be, but THERE ARE TO MANY DAMN HUMANS in the story! The central focus of Transformers has never been the interaction between human beings and transformers but the civil war between the Autobots and the Decepticons. I know the struggle between the two transformer factions will be an integral part of the story, obviously since there has to be good guys fighting bad guys in any action movie, but it seems like the focus is more on the reaction of Human beings toward the invasion of the transformers and them bringing their war to Earth. It's true that there were human beings, even those with speaking parts, that were shown in the original cartoons and in the first transformers movie, but, until recently (with Unicron Trilogy), they did not play a heavy role on the war between Autobots and the Decepticons. It seems like (and again this is only opinion based on the trailers themselves and not is not intended to foretell the future) they are placing a significant amount of focus on human beings just because of either budget concerns (since placing a large amount of transformers on the screen would be significantly more challenging than to just pay actors to fill certain roles).

It is understandable that the movie show a military body (in this case, the US military) since landing on Earth itself might create a disturbance that might catch the eye of the US military and also making war would get the attention of Earth's inhabitants. But again, its the fact that the focus, it seems is on the reactions of the human beings and not to the transformers themselves.

Sorry if this sounds like a review, but it really gets me annoyed that the first live-cation transformers movie may not even be about the transformers themselves.

Well it is inevitable that you are going to have plenty of human time in this movie. Budget is one reason, but the ability for the movie-going crowd to relate is another.

It's a big screen, A-list, movie. They have to get it to appeal to a wider audience in order to gross the largest amount of money.

The problem imho is that they aren't doing that properly.

All of us can argue about presentation of the transformers, humans vs. transformer screen time, etc...

but if the script and dialog is horrible, none of the rest even matters.

If it was intend to appeal to US, they wouldna made so many changes

So, you've seen this movie already then? :unsure:

#WTF#

Your apparently new here, so you might wanna take a look at some of the threads on the movie toyline.

And, just for fun, see if you can identify ANY of the characters without looking at the names first. THAT is what I meant about "changes."

#WTF#

Your apparently new here, so you might wanna take a look at some of the threads on the movie toyline.

And, just for fun, see if you can identify ANY of the characters without looking at the names first. THAT is what I meant about "changes."

I guess I got confused by the link to the news article that talked about the movie, not toys, and the title "Transformers VS Hollywood" not "Hollywood VS Transformer Fanatics". Doubt I could identify them even if they were G1 accurate, since I wasn't into Transformers until Beast Wars, guess I have no right posting on this board then. You might not be able to name the new toys that share names with the G1 models, but I guarantee you that every kid who sees the movie will recognize the movie characters over the classics, and Im betting thats the audience toy companies shoot for when they make TOYS. You got a straight reissue of the original Trasformers movie a few months ago, and if thats the only thing you'll ever see as real transformers, then fine for you. The upcoming movie is for a new generation who has no connection to the 80's stuff, and for them these toys will be awesome. Very few movie toys have ever been aimed at collectors, because collectors make up a small portion of toy consumers. If you don't like them, don't buy them. And, just for fun, how about not taking something that hasn't eve happened yet so dam seriously.

Seriously, why does anybody even bother posting pictures of new stuff if people are just going to #$#@# about it?

Let the flaming commence!!!

#WTF#

I guess I got confused by the link to the news article that talked about the movie, not toys, and the title "Transformers VS Hollywood" not "Hollywood VS Transformer Fanatics". Doubt I could identify them even if they were G1 accurate, since I wasn't into Transformers until Beast Wars, guess I have no right posting on this board then. You might not be able to name the new toys that share names with the G1 models, but I guarantee you that every kid who sees the movie will recognize the movie characters over the classics, and Im betting thats the audience toy companies shoot for when they make TOYS. You got a straight reissue of the original Trasformers movie a few months ago, and if thats the only thing you'll ever see as real transformers, then fine for you. The upcoming movie is for a new generation who has no connection to the 80's stuff, and for them these toys will be awesome. Very few movie toys have ever been aimed at collectors, because collectors make up a small portion of toy consumers. If you don't like them, don't buy them. And, just for fun, how about not taking something that hasn't eve happened yet so dam seriously.

Seriously, why does anybody even bother posting pictures of new stuff if people are just going to #$#@# about it?

I don't disagree. Today kids, toward whom the movie is REALLY geared, wouldn't "recognize" 80s Prime over the movie Prime (and would, most likely, think 80s Prime sucks by comparsion). But the argument was that the movie was "geared towards US (ie. us older fans familiar with the 80s stuff) which is blatantly bogus, obviously.

As for the REST of your comment. COMPLAINING is the defining characteristic of a fan!

I agree w/ almost everything you say here, except for two things: everyone has the right to their opinion. Honestly it does get a bit tedious when someone (like myself) is optimistic and tons of others bash it incessantly, but then if people didn't express their opinions this board wouldn't last long. :) I do however think that many aren't giving this movie much of a chance, at least on these boards; other boards I frequent are much more open to the movie.

2. The movie is still, to an extent, for the old skool g1 fan; all the characters have g1 names (some of them haven't been reused in a line since g1), so while the main audience is the average movie-goer, hasbro/bay/whoever is still throwing a few bones to us old folks. :P

If this movie does well, then when kids think "optimus prime", "megatron" or whoever, they'll think of these guys, not g1, not cybertron, or any other version, at least not first. These version will be their versions, just like for some of us g1 or bw or UT is "the" version we think of first and prefer.

This whole thing does remind me a bit of what I've heard about when bw started; a lot of upset fans, but look at it now, most people love bw. Not saying that will definitely happen here, but it's plausible.

It's time for something new, and, whether it goes amazingly or horribly, here it is.

I expect that one of the major complaints will be that the bots aren't seen enough but remember this is a setup story. There's probably gonna be plenty of build up before we see any of them.

So the story will have to be REALLY good to hold peoples attention until the fireworks really begin. I would expect that any sequels will feature the bots a whole lot more.

Getting this movie made in the first place wasn't an easy sell, so I expect that there will be lots of skeptics out there in the media about it. Especially if their last memory of TF's was the '85 movie. I imagine some are thinking it's gonna be a movie like that that only makes sense to the fans.

I'd love nothing more than to see this movie make every person who ever wrote a negative thing about it eat their words. Obviously THAT won't happen, but I'll settle for close enough.

I agree w/ almost everything you say here, except for two things: everyone has the right to their opinion. Honestly it does get a bit tedious when someone (like myself) is optimistic and tons of others bash it incessantly, but then if people didn't express their opinions this board wouldn't last long. :) I do however think that many aren't giving this movie much of a chance, at least on these boards; other boards I frequent are much more open to the movie.

2. The movie is still, to an extent, for the old skool g1 fan; all the characters have g1 names (some of them haven't been reused in a line since g1), so while the main audience is the average movie-goer, hasbro/bay/whoever is still throwing a few bones to us old folks. :P

If this movie does well, then when kids think "optimus prime", "megatron" or whoever, they'll think of these guys, not g1, not cybertron, or any other version, at least not first. These version will be their versions, just like for some of us g1 or bw or UT is "the" version we think of first and prefer.

This whole thing does remind me a bit of what I've heard about when bw started; a lot of upset fans, but look at it now, most people love bw. Not saying that will definitely happen here, but it's plausible.

It's time for something new, and, whether it goes amazingly or horribly, here it is.

Exactly, I agree!! A new generation will be exposed to Transformers, and maybe thier fascination for Transformers will make research it's roots. Anyway, the point is to keep the franchise alive and gather new fans while giving G1 fans something to look for in a live-action film even if it's not as accurate as they would want to :]

Today was my first time reading some threads at www.tfw2005.com, and they do indeed seem to give this movie more of a chance just by a lil. Although at Superherohype boards, most Transformer fans there bash the upcoming movie. But we all need something to talk about in the end . @smilepunch@