Classics Starscream

Dark_Lord_Prime

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

DSCF0127.jpg

DSCF0128.jpg

(the white bits on the black tape are debris from drilling and sanding and cutting--it's a piece of tape I was using to test the light-piping I was installing in Bumblebee's head, and discarded on the table top)

Once again, I'm using a bit of sprue from the clear-parts tree from of my model kits. I cut Starscream's head in half at the visible seam line (I'm gonna have to pad it out when I put the head back together, 'cause I ended up cutting a 1/16" space between the halves), then used a combination of my smallest precision flat-head screwdriver, a hammer, and a cylindrical engraving/shaping bit in my rotary-tool to cut out his old eyes and the triangular space behind them.

I dipped the new eye piece in a bottle of clear red model paint and brushed off the excess with a small paintbrush, dabbing the brush dry on a piece of newspaper, until the eye piece was coated nice and even.

I heated up the end of the remaining sprue and smashed it with needle-nose pliers.

DSCF0130.jpg

I think all that's left is to finish fitting the light-pipe to the space I cut, then put the head back together and repaint.

I'm rebuilding Screamer's head right now, but it's at a point where I can give you some progress pics! :)

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

DSCF0133.jpg

This is the second try at putting his head back together; the first attempt ended up with glue leaking into his eye-sockets and obscuring the eye piece. I tried to remove the glue, but made it worse, so I had to tear the whole thing back apart and start again. The eye holes are slightly larger than they were in my previous post, but the effect is way better now.

The first time, I used epoxy putty to rejoin the two halves, but that didn't work very well. This time, I've joined the halves with Testors contour putty and am currently filling the gap between them with clear-parts glue. When that's fully cured, I'll smooth things out with more contour putty. This should give me pretty decent joint strength, so the head won't fall apart when I try to turn it for posing later.

Also, prompted by a post in TFans.com's KB forum, I've started considering ways to add a proper landing gear to the jet's nose but, so far, the only thing I can think of is to drill a hole up inside the space that folds against the hinge bar to make his chest in bot mode, and plugging a seperate piece in, like the G1 Seekers did.

Good work, dude. lol

I plan on adding those Classics Starscream stickers from Reprolabels. They're made to make him look like his G1 version. That Delta is amazing when it comes to stickers.

Have you done any Diaclone blue Bluestreak customs? What color paint do you use for him? I seem to always get the wrong shade of blue.

I swear I've painted that sucker about 5 times already.@rolleye@

Nice. See, I thought all Classics figures had light-pipe eyes. Huh. Still, cool nevertheless...

Now do the other Classics toys indeed have light-pipe eyes? I've not opened any of mine to see. It just looks that way from all of the pics I've seen.

Nice. See, I thought all Classics figures had light-pipe eyes. Huh. Still, cool nevertheless...

Now do the other Classics toys indeed have light-pipe eyes? I've not opened any of mine to see. It just looks that way from all of the pics I've seen.

Grimlock, Hot Rod and Mirage do.

Bumblebee does, except they didn't bother to put in the actual piping.

Megatron, I believe, has green light-piped eyes, and I don't remember on Optimus or Astrotrain (I don't have either of them yet), and haven't seen Jetfire anywhere yet.

I'd imagine the other Seekers don't.

Ah...I see. Thanks DLP. I thought Bumblebee looked like he did judging from some of the pics I've seen. Strange they didn't include the pipe part so they'd light up properly. Reminds me of those old Gundam models I used to put together that came with similar parts; the parts that made up their eyes were made of translucent green plastic, but they weren't "piped". You'd have to hold them in strange positions in the light to get the eyes to light up right. Hmm...

This has been my favorite feature of various toys over the years, and I think it suits Transformers perfectly. Now I remember the Machine Wars Optimus Prime had light-pipe eyes, but I don't recall who else did over the years. Anyone know right off-hand? I'd like to know.