Star Trek XI Update

Waspinator

Trektoday.com:

Abrams: First Draft of 'Star Trek XI' Is Finished

"I can't wait to do this," J.J. Abrams said of producing the upcoming eleventh Star Trek feature film, though he continued to refuse to discuss any plot details despite hints from William Shatner and others that the storyline will very likely center on a young Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

Abrams told Entertainment Weekly that a draft of the script is complete, though he refused to predict when Star Trek XI would reach theatres.

"On the one hand, for people who love Star Trek, the fix that they will get will be really satisfying," Abrams promised longtime fans. ''For people who've never seen it or know it vaguely, I think they will enjoy it equally, because the movie does not require you to know anything about Star Trek." Abrams said he actually preferred audiences new to the franchise, "because I feel like they will come to it with an open mind."

Abrams is working with several producers and crew from his series Lost on the film, which is being written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (though EW had the latter's name wrong). Abrams did not discuss whether he planned to direct the film, saying only, "It is an absolute thrill to work on this project. We really are still like, 'How the hell are we able to do this?'"

I'm surprised I didnt see any topics about this pinned!

I guess in order for the franchise to survive and bring in new fans, they'd have to tell a story so new comers can appreciate Trek. But... what does this mean for the die hards? He doesn't say there's anything in this movie for us!!

Trektoday.com:

"I can't wait to do this," J.J. Abrams said of producing the upcoming eleventh Star Trek feature film, though he continued to refuse to discuss any plot details despite hints from William Shatner and others that the storyline will very likely center on a young Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

Abrams told Entertainment Weekly that a draft of the script is complete, though he refused to predict when Star Trek XI would reach theatres.

"On the one hand, for people who love Star Trek, the fix that they will get will be really satisfying," Abrams promised longtime fans. ''For people who've never seen it or know it vaguely, I think they will enjoy it equally, because the movie does not require you to know anything about Star Trek." Abrams said he actually preferred audiences new to the franchise, "because I feel like they will come to it with an open mind."

Abrams is working with several producers and crew from his series Lost on the film, which is being written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (though EW had the latter's name wrong). Abrams did not discuss whether he planned to direct the film, saying only, "It is an absolute thrill to work on this project. We really are still like, 'How the hell are we able to do this?'"

I guess in order for the franchise to survive and bring in new fans, they'd have to tell a story so new comers can appreciate Trek. But... what does this mean for the die hards? He doesn't say there's anything in this movie for us!!

I've emboldened the line in the quote that answers your question.

Trektoday.com:

And I bolded the line from the quote that makes me very sad to be a Trek fan. He isn't making this movie for us. He is making for "audiences new to the franchise". I was willing to give this movie a chance but now I think I have lost all faith. Guess time will tell.

And I bolded the line from the quote that makes me very sad to be a Trek fan. He isn't making this movie for us. He is making for "audiences new to the franchise". I was willing to give this movie a chance but now I think I have lost all faith. Guess time will tell.

The longevity of any TV/movie franchise depends on bringing new viewers to it, not maintaining the crop of current viewers.

He's addressed both side of the issue, and that's all he can do.

Star Trek, by the admissions of many involved with it, is a tired franchise and the whole reason Abrams is doing this movie is to attempt to inject new life and interest into it.

Ron Moore did that with Battlestar Galactica.

Star Trek cannot live long or prosper ( gawd, I LOVE that pun) if it rests on its status quo--its got to evolve in all respects. If evolution means ret-conning, or re-imagining then that is the most logical ( another pun!) path to take at this stage. Its got a lot of internal mythology about it, but that mythology is not very accessible if someone doesn't watch any (or many)of the series.

The idea here is to draw in those people that are casual viewers, who would be largely ignorant of a lot of that mythology.

TREK XI PLOT SPOILERS!!!!

scifi.com: (credit also goes to Cable. He saw this before I did.)

Shatner Leaks Trek XI Details

11-JANUARY-07 12:00 AM,

William Shatner revealed to SCI FI Wire that the upcoming 11th Star Trek movie will indeed, as rumored, deal with the early years of Capt. James T. Kirk and Spock—and that he will definitely appear in the movie if director J.J. Abrams can find a place to use him. Shatner, who originated the role of Kirk in the original Trek series and several subsequent films, said in an interview that he was invited to meet with Abrams (Mission: Impossible III), who is also co-writing the movie.

"I met with J.J., and they told me they would like me to be part of their film, but they have to write the role," Shatner said in an interview promoting his new SCI FI Channel film, Alien Fire.

As for the many rumors concerning the sequel's story, Shatner said that Abrams will explore Kirk and Spock during their Starfleet Academy years. "Yes, we know the story is based on young Kirk," Shatner said. Up until now, everyone connected with the film has maintained strict silence about the storyline, though rumors have run rampant that they concern Kirk and Spock's first missions.

As for Shatner's place in that storyline? "They need to figure out how to put the dead captain in with the young captain," he said. "It's a very complex, technical problem of how to write the character in, and I'm not sure how they will solve it." It sounds as if Shatner may play an older version of Kirk.

#WTF#

"Trek should move forwardm, not backwards." As several stars and fans have said. That comes to mind after reading this. We're so screwed.

I really, really believe it is way too early to decide whether or not this film will be good.

In a way I am just glad that JJ Adams is interested in Star Trek and God-willing it will be good.

The longevity of any TV/movie franchise depends on bringing new viewers to it, not maintaining the crop of current viewers.

He's addressed both side of the issue, and that's all he can do.

Star Trek, by the admissions of many involved with it, is a tired franchise and the whole reason Abrams is doing this movie is to attempt to inject new life and interest into it.

Ron Moore did that with Battlestar Galactica.

Star Trek cannot live long or prosper ( gawd, I LOVE that pun) if it rests on its status quo--its got to evolve in all respects. If evolution means ret-conning, or re-imagining then that is the most logical ( another pun!) path to take at this stage. Its got a lot of internal mythology about it, but that mythology is not very accessible if someone doesn't watch any (or many)of the series.

The idea here is to draw in those people that are casual viewers, who would be largely ignorant of a lot of that mythology.

If this movie turns out to be as good a reinvisioning as the new battlestar galactica is, I will happily eat my words.

My concern comes from the fact that there are so many ways opne could continue with the current time line (ie after TNG, DS9, VOY) or go forward in to the future and still be fresh and interesting. Why do you have to go back to the begining and "ret con".

But I am not closed minded about completly reimagining the franchise. I just don't want to see the missing chapter from Kirk and Spock's youth.

Now I could be completly off base here, but I see this movie as being "here is young Kirk and Spock and they will be the ones that grow up to serve about the USS Enterprise wearing bright yellow and blue shirts and sleeping with pink haired alien women in out fits made of tin foil". In which case this movie will suck just as hard as Enterprise because it won't make any sense.

Now if they go with "These two characters are Kirk and Spock and they have nothing to do with classic trek as we knew it and their universe is completly reimagined and nothing that you ever saw before has anything to do with this movie" (ala battlestar galactica) then there is hope.

From Shatner's quote, it sounds like it will be the former and that is what makes me sad.

If this turns out to be the later, then for it to be good, it will all depend on the writing, talent, special effects ect...

TREK XI PLOT SPOILERS!!!!

scifi.com: (credit also goes to Cable. He saw this before I did.)

Shatner Leaks Trek XI Details

11-JANUARY-07 12:00 AM,

William Shatner revealed to SCI FI Wire that the upcoming 11th Star Trek movie will indeed, as rumored, deal with the early years of Capt. James T. Kirk and Spock—and that he will definitely appear in the movie if director J.J. Abrams can find a place to use him. Shatner, who originated the role of Kirk in the original Trek series and several subsequent films, said in an interview that he was invited to meet with Abrams (Mission: Impossible III), who is also co-writing the movie.

"I met with J.J., and they told me they would like me to be part of their film, but they have to write the role," Shatner said in an interview promoting his new SCI FI Channel film, Alien Fire.

As for the many rumors concerning the sequel's story, Shatner said that Abrams will explore Kirk and Spock during their Starfleet Academy years. "Yes, we know the story is based on young Kirk," Shatner said. Up until now, everyone connected with the film has maintained strict silence about the storyline, though rumors have run rampant that they concern Kirk and Spock's first missions.

As for Shatner's place in that storyline? "They need to figure out how to put the dead captain in with the young captain," he said. "It's a very complex, technical problem of how to write the character in, and I'm not sure how they will solve it." It sounds as if Shatner may play an older version of Kirk.

#WTF#

"Trek should move forwardm, not backwards." As several stars and fans have said. That comes to mind after reading this. We're so screwed.

I totally agree

With this it reminds me of Enterprise destroying the history we once new

The Star Trek Encylepedia isn't acurate anymore

Waspy , Cable posts here also?

Waspy , Cable posts here also?

No. I gave him credit anyway.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/160107_02.shtml

'Star Trek XI' May Feature Both Old Kirk and Young Pike

By Michelle

January 16, 2007 - 10:43 PM

William Shatner has confirmed that the eleventh Star Trek movie will focus on the early years of Captain James T. Kirk, while an anonymous source has provided script pages indicating that Christopher Pike, the original captain of the USS Enterprise seen in the first series pilot, will make an appearance.

Shatner told Sci Fi Wire that he would definitely appear in the film if producer J.J. Abrams can work him in. "I met with J.J., and they told me they would like me to be part of their film, but they have to write the role," Shatner explained.

Though Abrams and his team have remained mum on the movie's storyline, Shatner said that it focused on Kirk and Spock during their youth - a subject of great interest to Shatner, as he is writing books with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens about Kirk's Academy years.

Meanwhile, The IESB reported that a source had turned over the first few pages of Abrams' script - a first draft which has not yet been greenlit for production. "While it’s old news that the new storyline will involve a young Kirk and Spock, we have been told to expect to see Captain Christopher Pike and our favorite Scottish, miracle-working engineer Montgomery Scott," stated the IESB.

The pilot that centered on Pike, "The Cage", was later edited into the original series episode "The Menagerie" and established that Spock had served under Pike on the Enterprise for many years before Kirk became captain. "The feature film’s storyline is non-linear, there are different timeframes addressed," the IESB article added. "This goes along with the rumors of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy's involvement."

Until Paramount makes an official announcement, all reports about Star Trek XI must be considered hearsay. Any preliminary script could change a great deal depending on casting and budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm against them trying to push Star Trek down peoples throats when its clear the majority of the public doesn't care for franchise right now

Why must they think a movie must be made?There pushing ...this movie will bomb at the box office

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, don't worry. It's no longer a prequil.......it's a "reimagining". Ahhhhhhh......OK. Is that what Batman Begins was? A reimagining?

Anyway, here's some new news

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news...icle/46176.html

Well now we are getting somewhere! I am VERY happy that this is going to be a reimagining and not a prequel. Look at Batman begins and Battle Star Galactica. Two very good examples of how great a "reimagining" can be.

I like Matt Damon enough to accept him as Kirk. (Maybe he will get his shirt all ripped up like Kirk used to *growl* :) ) and I don't think there could be a better choice for McCoy than Gary Sinese. Not sure who the guy is for Spock.

So who would play the other parts.

Uhura - I think Gabriel Union would be great http://imdb.com/name/nm0005517/

Sulu - Ando from Heroes http://heroeswiki.com/Ando_Masahashi

or Maybe Jin from Lost http://tviv.org/Lost/Jin-Soo_Kwon

Chekov - Not sure. Some young teen hart throb type. Maybe this guy. http://imdb.com/name/nm0302356/

And here's the kicker... I think Scotty should be a woman this time around. I think in these modern times we need a more athoratative woman on the original enterprise. I think Scotty would be a really cool female character. And hey... it worked for Starbuck.

But who could play her? Well obviously you'd want someone who could do a great scottish accent. But with out knowing if she could do the accent, I think Michelle Clunie would do a terrific job. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0167342/

So who would you want. Obviously you'd want A listers but keep in mind you have your 3 biggest stars already cast. You need b and c listers to fill out your cast. You obviously can't cast Tom Cruise as Scotty or Beyonce as Uhura or Justin Timberlake as Chekov. Think about your budget!

Every new ST TV series is basically just a re-imagining of classic Trek. What If Kirk didn't wear a toupee, had an English accent and was a better actor? Picard. What If Kirk had breasts and were flung to the far side of the galaxy? Janeway. What If Kirk was in good shape and commanded the first Earth starship? Archer.

Maybe my point is a bit of a stretch but what I'm saying is, another new crew going further into the future would just be more of the same. One of the problems with the franchise is that the creators are wedded to this cannon bible. It really does limit the stories they can tell. I'd rather have a reboot, a la Batman Begins, and let them do something new and creative, even if the Trekkers have to think of this as an Ultimate Universe Trek.