DTC Wave 4 preview posted!

Leonardo T Dragon

group1composite.jpg

General Hawk and I've got the rest of the preview of Wave 4 posted. Sadly, we're missing the Cobra Officer and Lt. Falcon (subtle hint if anyone would like to help us out) but Munitia, Airtight, Outback, and the Night Viper are now up at the DTC Review Index[/url. We may not agree on all of the figures but it would be a real shame if this wave didn't hit full production in 2007.

Check 'em out at the DTC Review Index!

Those little paragraphs at the beginning of each review made me sad....

BUT great reviews and pics.

I feel the same way.

They seem like a bad way to end the DTC line up.

I guess that Night Viper has to be held in your hands to look good.

Because he doesn't seem right to me....something looks off on him.

BUT Thanks!

As the FINAL wave? Yeah, pretty lackluster and uninspiring, but had this JUST been wave 4 of saaaaay...8-10 total waves of DTC or single packs yet to come? Maybe not so bad afterall. ;)

Every series or wave over the years have had their "turds" while the next might have some real gems.

Hasbro ended with a real GRUNT and hard push, to get these "turds" out, as the FINAL offering, before G.I.Joe as we've known and loved it...goes kaput. :(

If only we had full access to Chap Mei toys and Lanard had a larger assortment of figures to release, instead of the same figures repainted over and over again. They're the ONLY thing worth strolling the toy aisles to take a peak at these days.

@hmmm@ For me!

Well I have to say that if these do come out I don't think they will sell very well. Since this wave first debuted almost a year ago, the overall response that Ive seen online is that people weren't impressed.

As a collector, I personally have pretty much moved on from 3 3/4". At this point I don't have alot of confidence that Hasbro is going to put much effort into the 3 3/4" line anymore, anniversary or not and therefore combined with the fact that I to didn't find it to be an overly impressive wave to begin with, it's hard for me to get excited about it. Based on Leo's pics above they do look better then from when I first saw them last February, but honestly if this is to be the last wave, I can live with out them and spend my money on a line that is going to move forward. Thats just me though.

Well I'm not going to jump ship and hop on the 8" bandwagon like others, but otherwise I agree with JayC. This was as lackluster a selection of figures as Wave 3 was. It seems Hasbro was doing great up through Wave 2 and then by the time they hit 3 just ran out of good ideas. I'm still hoping the 3 3/4" will make a comeback it just doesn't look like that will happen any time too soon.

Hmm I dont know. I like these. I definitely want to get 6 Night Vipers and the rest of it but I dont think its as bad as some are making it out to be.

Great reviews.

I think Viper Hunter is right if there were just wave 4 amid a bunch of other waves it would be better but since this is it the end of DTC (so it would seem) it gets scrutinized much more.

Everyone had their personal favorite that they wanted to see done before the line went bye-bye so obviously they will pick apart the last wave because their choice didn't make the cut.

"Lackluster?" I like them. I have Airtight and Munitia and they both are awesome. (Wait til you get them in hand)

Outback is probably my least favorite out of the lot. Falcon's head sculpt isn't the greatest (he looks a bit old) and they definitely could have been more creative with the body, however I can live with it. Waiting for the Officers! I hope to pick up at least 20-30. The pro's and con's are about the same for the other Waves except Wave 1. (Almost perfect)

They'd better not cancel this Wave.

One last note...I hope the 25th Anny figs are worth the wait!

I have to admit the photography really makes the Night Viper look a whole lot better than I thought. Good reviews!

It's too bad Hasbro waited this long to go RAH-style retro with the designs of new-sculpt GI Joes. Had they started that from the get-go I think the line would be in a lot better position right now. I mean, it's pretty bad when even the bulk of GI Joe collectors aren't behind it. If only they would have taken the time to use new sculpting with these overall designs...

Hmmm.

I have to agree with whats been said before: if this had been just another wave and not the last wave of 3 3/4, the criticisim might not have been as much. With that said....

For me, there isn't to much to get excited about in this wave. The figures are fine, there's just nothing here that screams "must have". In the end, I plan on picking up 1 of each, then maybe 7 more Airtights to form a Joe "green-shirt" bio-hazard team, 7 more Nightvipers for a cobra spec-ops team. I might army build some of the Cobra officers, but I will need them in hand first.

Interesting comment about how, the longer these get pushed back the more the interest in getting them seems to grow. I think part of that goes to the idea that "this is the end" (whether it is or not). Part also goes to what Buckwheat said, to wait until you get them in hand.

And, from a dreamer's stance, wouldn't it be cool if Hasbro was gauging what the fans thought in order to make changes before actual release? Yeah, we can dream....

Outback: I already said what I thought of him in the other thread.

Airtight: Is there anyone NOT displeased with him not hiaving a removable helmet? Not a bad homage but a weak update. Does the version1 gear fit on this body? That might make up for the weakness some. And what, really was the point of the removable goggles? Kinda like saying "we know you wanted a removable helmet, but this was the best we could do." They coulda made the helmet removable and kept the gas mask (or made the mask removable and kept the helmet; which woulda been cool for the Gas Mask Troopers).

Night-Viper: The whole harness thing is interesting. I don't particularly like the grey/silver on the shoulders. Seems kinda stupid for a NIGHT trooper to have big shiny patches of armor. When I first started reading the comments about the maligned Airborne torso, it made me wonder if the ORIGINAL Night-Viper torso coulda worked.

ARE new sculpt and RAH parts interchangeable?

Munitia: You guys forgot about VYPRA as a "named" Cobra female. My LEAST like one of the wave (so far; can't say for Falcon or the Cobra Officer yet). The arms looks ##$%$#ed. She kinda reminds me of a B.A.T. with removable arms (like the version 5). And she just looks TOO much like the Baroness. And that...hat/helmet...thing? Looks too much like long black hair (who does THAT remind you of?). Here, I think the Agent Scarlett mold woulda been better.

agentscarlett2.jpg

Sure, people would say it "looks like Scarlett" but ALL the Baroness molds look the same, for the most part. I think people prefer the VvV Scarlett over this mold (it has the least "Scarlett" looking, well, look).

I was the only person (I think) who was excited by the prospect of a new sculpt Night Viper when we saw the proto pics, and having read the review and seen your pics I'm twice as excited. I'd love to have 6-10 of these guys and they'd probably be the first Joes I'd have bought that didn't require ANY mods.

I own Outback and he rocks. I also own Munitia but switched parts around to make an updated Baroness, as the parts seem to fit quite well. The gun she comes with is pretty awesome.

Guest DavAnthony

I still think DTC was a step in the right direction when it came to design. Updating the RAH look with modern parts was how the figures should of been approached from the start. That was something people were telling Hasbro from the beginning but they ignored. I think in the end it was too late, Hasbro had already buried this line a good 5 1/2 feet, but that point the grave was too full to dig it out.

I don't see Hasbro putting any effort into 3.75. Sigma Six is their baby now and they will go down with that ship. The talk of the anniversary line (even if it is even released) will probably be an initial push and then we'll probably only get a multi-pack every year or half year.

Munita looks good, I can see her being a cold blooded assassin but part of the "hiss trio" c'mon come up with new names! The blade is cool and i could see her using it on folks when she is low on ammo or close range. I think they shouldn't have went with purple, makes her look like mistress armada, and there were plenty of females that needed the fig treatment, including aramada.

as for the rest, night viper looks better, but that armor still says samurai/ninja to me and outback just seems too similiar to barrage still if that molod was going to be reused i would have rather seen a new roadblock.

Not digging air-tight in any way shape or form !

Thanks for the review, reminds me of review vs. review from some time ago.

Kinda like saying "we know you wanted a removable helmet, but this was the best we could do." They coulda made the helmet removable and kept the gas mask (or made the mask removable and kept the helmet; which woulda been cool for the Gas Mask Troopers).

I remember when the Cobra Troopers debuted and there was talk about NOT having removeable helmets. But admit that they're getting the concept mixed up. ( Having the Trooper head mold and helmet as one piece, and Airtight with the removeable). Regardless, I am 110% satisfied with Airtight. The head mold is great except for the holes to insert the silver visor. (I don't use it anyway).

Munitia: You guys forgot about VYPRA as a "named" Cobra female. My LEAST like one of the wave (so far; can't say for Falcon or the Cobra Officer yet). The arms looks ##$%$#ed. She kinda reminds me of a B.A.T. with removable arms (like the version 5). And she just looks TOO much like the Baroness. And that...hat/helmet...thing? Looks too much like long black hair (who does THAT remind you of?). Here, I think the Agent Scarlett mold woulda been better.

Munitia is my updated response to Vypra. Same theme. As for the JvC Scarlett mold, I love the figure. It looks waaaaay better than the Valor Venom crap version (unless your pitching towards the old school Street Fighter ninja version of '93). The only problem with the JvC Scarlett is she's GIGANTIC! @grumpy@

Finally, yes it is a shame that when Hasbro has finally gotten on the right track to make near original character designs but in new sculpt, the line gets put on a long"hiatus" once again. Well maybe. Let's just wait and see.

I think this wave looks pretty sweet! I just wish that they would continue to make this line.

Sigma Six has taken over. Its over. :( Please don't get me wrong I have nothing over Sigma Six and I am glad that people like them because they are somewhat cool in my opinion especially the 2.5 inch stuff.

I grew up with 3 3/4 inch every thing and it is hard for me to see it go down like this. :(

I will move on don't worry @loll@

I don't have a problem with Airtight or Outback. Look to be exellent figures IMO. People say Outback doesn't look enough like the original but what new sculpt figure does?

Munitia is just too much of a Baroness knock-off for my tastes. Did they have to give her long black hair?

As for the Night-Viper . . . save fore the Crimson Guard and the Medi-Viper, I haven't been a huge fan of any of the army builders in the DTC line. That's not saying they are bad, it's just army builders have to be really great for me to want to own them as I shall not be wanting to just own one of them but rather multiples. As such I hold them to a higer standard.

The head looks too much like Beachhead.

I don't have a problem with Airtight or Outback. Look to be exellent figures IMO. People say Outback doesn't look enough like the original but what new sculpt figure does?

Munitia is just too much of a Baroness knock-off for my tastes. Did they have to give her long black hair?

As for the Night-Viper . . . save fore the Crimson Guard and the Medi-Viper, I haven't been a huge fan of any of the army builders in the DTC line. That's not saying they are bad, it's just army builders have to be really great for me to want to own them as I shall not be wanting to just own one of them but rather multiples. As such I hold them to a higer standard.

The head looks too much like Beachhead.

That actually ISN'T hair on Munitia, near as I can tell. It appears to be some kind of leather headdress or something. Woulda been cool if they had like a strand of blonde (or brown) hair peaking out from underneath.

I actually had a relatively good feel for this wave, atleast with the Outback, Munitia, and to a lesser extent the Night Viper. I've already preordered the Outback and Munitia and I'll probably still get the Night Viper and a couple of the Officers.

But that Airtight and the Falcon figure leave me cold and I intend to stick with the original ARAH figures, although I'm not sure the Outback will replace my ARAH Outback either.

Non the less those are some great reviews there. You guys always do a great job on them.