VOTC Scout Trooper

darthfather2005

First off, this has to be one of my all time favorite Imperials. They are cooler than any clone trooper, and the figure is pretty awesome to boot. The super articulation, makes me feel like I’m playing with GI Joes. My only complaint is his snub nosed gun. It looks like what a woman would pull out of her purse. It’s cool, because it goes on the boot, like a “last resort” gun, but he should come with a sniper rifle like in Battlefront. Am I alone in this?

First off, this has to be one of my all time favorite Imperials. They are cooler than any clone trooper, and the figure is pretty awesome to boot. The super articulation, makes me feel like I’m playing with GI Joes. My only complaint is his snub nosed gun. It looks like what a woman would pull out of her purse. It’s cool, because it goes on the boot, like a “last resort” gun, but he should come with a sniper rifle like in Battlefront. Am I alone in this?

what for? They're "scouts".

It makes more sense for him to just have the ankle holster. It allows easy access to the blaster while on the speeder bikes(like in the movie). Maybe when the scout is released in one of the regular lines, he'll come with a sniper rifle, but now I think they're keeping the VOTC figs as close to the originals, accessory and package-wise, as possible. *Exceptions like Luke's helmet, etc aside.

correct me if Im wrong, but a scouts job is to "scout", no? Theyre not really meant to be soldiers. Why do you think when Han tried ambushing the biker scouts one was told to "go for help?" Theyre not meant to fight, just "scout".

Uh, no, that'd be wrong. First of all, a soldier is always a soldier. And "scouting" or reconnaissance is usually seen as something a bit more elite, in fact. Snipers are often used in that capacity. It makes perfect sense for a scout to have a sniper rifle, if only because it allows them to see from a greater distance and engage the enemy if need be.

Well, I'm sure there were snipers and there were heavy gunners right off camera.. but the point of the vintage figure was a nod to the... VINTAGE FIGURES.. that's why he came with his lil pee shooter, now, if he's released later on on a rugular card(not the camo RotS one that's about to come out).. then I can see them doing something like throwing in a sniper rifle or larger rifle.

Or, just get yourself a bunch of IG-88 rifles, @loll@

Joe's right...

VOTC/VTSC (and whatever this next line will be called) are all tips-of-the-hat to the '77-'85 "vintage" line. For the most part, these figures are supposed to be movie-accurate, not video game/EU accurate. Sure, the Biker Scout was loaded for bear in Battlefront, but that was simply a way of making the character more useful in the context of the game. If his only use was to speed around the battlefields and shoot at other players from atop a speeder bike, then that would make for poor balancing in the game. He'd only have light body armor and a small semi-auto holdout blaster to defend himself---in short, he'd suck as a playable class. So he was given the dual role of sniper, along with a 3 foot blaster rifle.

But in the context of the movies, Biker Scouts were basically the equivalent of motorcycle cops with 9mm pistols. In the Battlefront games, he is the kind of character who could shoot a shot glass out of your hand at 1 kilometer during a hurricane while on a boat at sea. He was made fun to play by the game developers, 'nuff said. I could possibly see this (and the Battlefront AT-AT Driver) as part of a possible "Greatest of Lucasarts" line somewhere down the line, where they are given game-accurate accessories...

You all seem to be forgetting that the bike itself had a cannon on it. The pistol is just an extra weapon to be used only when necessary.

Besides, do you really want your recon team shooting at a group and forcing them to run off, or even worse the scouts getting killed and not being able to report on the movements of the enemy?

Well, I'm sure there were snipers and there were heavy gunners right off camera.. but the point of the vintage figure was a nod to the... VINTAGE FIGURES.. that's why he came with his lil pee shooter, now, if he's released later on on a rugular card(not the camo RotS one that's about to come out).. then I can see them doing something like throwing in a sniper rifle or larger rifle.

Or, just get yourself a bunch of IG-88 rifles, @loll@

Makes complete sense to me!

A blaster is a blaster. Wheather it's a little one or a big one, it can still kill you (in Star Wars mytho). If the Scout had to carry a large blaster, like the sniper rifle or even the standard issue Stormtrooper blaster that would just slow him down. Speaking on a real note, I'm a Biker Scout in the 501st Legion and I like having my hands free and keeping my "little" blaster in my ankle holster is just fine by me.

tb1089_full.jpg

A blaster is a blaster. Wheather it's a little one or a big one, it can still kill you (in Star Wars mytho). If the Scout had to carry a large blaster, like the sniper rifle or even the standard issue Stormtrooper blaster that would just slow him down. Speaking on a real note, I'm a Biker Scout in the 501st Legion and I like having my hands free and keeping my "little" blaster in my ankle holster is just fine by me.

No offense, but in "real life" a scout would carry a rifle. I know we're talking about Star Wars here, but no scout would ever only carry a pistol into combat. Even the standard Stormtrooper rifle would be easy to stow on the bike.

But again, I agree with Joe's statement about why a rifle wasn't included.

correct me if Im wrong, but a scouts job is to "scout", no? Theyre not really meant to be soldiers. Why do you think when Han tried ambushing the biker scouts one was told to "go for help?" Theyre not meant to fight, just "scout".

Uh, no, that'd be wrong. First of all, a soldier is always a soldier. And "scouting" or reconnaissance is usually seen as something a bit more elite, in fact. Snipers are often used in that capacity. It makes perfect sense for a scout to have a sniper rifle, if only because it allows them to see from a greater distance and engage the enemy if need be.

Shouldnt a "sniper" get a sniper rifle, and not a scout?

A scout's job is to go out and explore the field and come back to base and let the rest of the troops what to expect.

No offense, but in "real life" a scout would carry a rifle. I know we're talking about Star Wars here, but no scout would ever only carry a pistol into combat. Even the standard Stormtrooper rifle would be easy to stow on the bike.

yes, pistols are reserved for higher ranking officers that usally dont go onto the field.

From Wookiepedia:

Each scout trooper was fitted with these items:

* Survival rations

* Heat packs

* Water purifier

* Flares

* Grappling hooks

* Camouflage tent

* Comlink

* Grenades

* Sniper rifle

* Blaster pistol

* Recon droid

I'd call this arguement settled, but someone will say that Wookiepedia can't be trusted I'm sure.

From Wookiepedia:

Each scout trooper was fitted with these items:

* Survival rations

* Heat packs

* Water purifier

* Flares

* Grappling hooks

* Camouflage tent

* Comlink

* Grenades

* Sniper rifle

* Blaster pistol

* Recon droid

I'd call this arguement settled, but someone will say that Wookiepedia can't be trusted I'm sure.

well, I never saw scout carrying a rifle in the movie. nor did I see them use a comlink (or else the biker scout could have used it instead of rushing back to base) and a recon droid? wtf?

Think of modern Fighter Pilots, their "weapon" is their vehicle, they don't do any physical engagment unless they crash and have to and when that happens what do they have, a pistol, not the best weapon but still something. Same goes for Biker Scouts, they're main weapon is their Speeder Bikes, if they crash that (and are still alive) than they have a hold out blaster to protect them selves. Biker Scouts are not meant to engage the enemy, just scout. If the Empire wanted to have scouts fighting than they wouldn't have sent all those Stormtroopers to Endor to fight.

Shouldnt a "sniper" get a sniper rifle, and not a scout?

A scout's job is to go out and explore the field and come back to base and let the rest of the troops what to expect.

My point was that a scout and a sniper are quite often the same thing in today's military (see or read Jarhead for a good example of what I mean), so having Star Wars mirror that would make sense.

Something else to remember,you try shooting one of those sniper rifles with both hands while trying to drive a speeder bike. Makes more sense to have a pistol to me. You can steer with one hand while shooting with the free hand.

Yeah, that makes complete sense to me also, to be quite honest. I guess that my knowledge of current military forces (yeah, I'm in the military, in case anyone was wondering) coupled with the scenes from Revenge of the Sith that show the ROTJ versions predecessors in action convinced me that these guys didn't always use the bikes however, and even when they did they'd probably dismount quite often to do recce. It'd make sense for one or both to have a sniper rifle stowed somewhere for that purpose, along with their sidearm for close encounters.