Anyone pick up the Hot Topic exclusive?

Ren

I never picked up a 12" Joe before, but I was in a shopping frenzy at the mall today, and since my lady splurged on some carved wooden Koi fish (I'll give her credit,they are rad). I might return him, I'm still on the fence. But he is pretty cool, I figure if I was going to have one big joe in my collection, this is the one, cool camos, fuzzy moss-man (motu) style beard and head, and cool dog tags. 14.99 seemed a little pricy, but I have a feeling they might get cheaper after Christmas. Am I the only one who picked him up? #US1#

I've thought about getting him, it does look cool.

I don't think we have Hot Topics in Canada... What does this guy look like?

Sadly, we don't.

He looks like the vintage 70's era 12" Adventure Team Land Adventurer, with flocked hair and beard, and flexy kung-fu grip hands.

He's dressed in the same duck-hunter pattern camo as the vintage and comes with boots, AT dogtag, a shoulder holster and Lebel revolver. The figure is packaged in a cardboard "coffin" box decoed just like the vintage 70's box.

The figure itself is based on the 40th anniversary sculpt GIJOEs which have a slightly more angular, idealized facial sculpt of the classic GIJOE.

I do not own this figure ( yet......one will probably find his way to me at some point) but the wurd in the 12" circles is that he's excellent, and a very good deal at $15.

Its also selling like crazy, and is sold out in a lot of venues.

Wurd also is that Hot Topic specifically requested this figure to be made and if it sells well.........expect "other releases".

They did have it on their web site, but didn't notice it on there today. :(

They did have it on their web site, but didn't notice it on there today. :(

Its sold out......SEVERAL TIMES already on the web site. If I understand correctly, they apparently restocked their on-line allottement from stock that was meant to go to the stores, but could divert only so much before they had to stop.

The best bet right now is to hit the brick & mortar stores and see if they have them there.

Interesting note: the people buying these are NOT just the 40-something collectors, apparently the whole retro-Kung-fu grip thing is quite trendy with the current younger clientele of Hot Topic.

Kinda neat that.

Even though GI Joe: ARAH was my favorite toy line as a child (well that and Star Wars), my first GI Joe ever was the Adventure Team Air Adventurer. So, the AT Joes hold a special place in my heart.

I'm gonna have to check out Hot Topic and hope for the best! $15 is an AWESOME price! Especially when I'm used to paying $50-$100+ each for my 1:6 scale collection figures.

joe3.jpg

joe1.jpg

joe2.jpg

Wow I guess 15 bucks is a good deal, come to think of it, i doi rmember those vintage 12'ers released a few years ago at Wal-Mart, and they weren't to cheap, i love the graphics on the box, the side of the box shows paintings of AT Joe and vintage vehicles.

I went today....if he was in there i coul;dnt find him! then i got the scope out from what i think were dudes????

anyone finds an extra figure pick it up for me....im good for it.

TM

I went today....if he was in there i coul;dnt find him! then i got the scope out from what i think were dudes????

Hehe, the times they are a changing! I just feel flattered when that happens and forget about it.

But then, you should have known, you WERE after all going in to buy a DOLL!

Still, all I think of with the G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu Grip is Eddie Murphy's stand-up (was it on Raw?) in the 80's and he was going on and on about it.

What the heck exactly IS the Kung Fu Grip itself??? What does it do? How does it do? How do you do?

What the heck exactly IS the Kung Fu Grip itself??? What does it do? How does it do? How do you do?

If you are asking sincerely, its just a set partially open-gripped vinyl hands on the figure that allow for it to actually grasp object or other hands.

The original GIJOE hands were a harder plastic, like the rest of the body and have been dubbed "nose-pickers" by the collecting community. The reason they went with the hands as they were, and not some other kind of grip in that original form is still largely a mystery.

The Kung-Fu grip hands were further improved upon by Palitoy for the Action Man figures, byt casting a thicker set of fingers. The Hasbro gripping hands were notorious for the fingers breaking off after a while, but the Palitoy versions have withstood years of play up to this day.

And Kung-Fu grip is not to be confused with the recent "Gung-Ho grip" hands, which are hard plastic hands, with actual pin-hinge articulation on the trigger and gripping fingers.

wow! Thanks for the info, that was very thorough. So, Kung Fu Grip is basically just softer plastic. And that was all the rave in the 70's. Action Figures have come a long way.

If you are asking sincerely, its just a set partially open-gripped vinyl hands on the figure that allow for it to actually grasp object or other hands.

The original GIJOE hands were a harder plastic, like the rest of the body and have been dubbed "nose-pickers" by the collecting community. The reason they went with the hands as they were, and not some other kind of grip in that original form is still largely a mystery.

The Kung-Fu grip hands were further improved upon by Palitoy for the Action Man figures, byt casting a thicker set of fingers. The Hasbro gripping hands were notorious for the fingers breaking off after a while, but the Palitoy versions have withstood years of play up to this day.

And Kung-Fu grip is not to be confused with the recent "Gung-Ho grip" hands, which are hard plastic hands, with actual pin-hinge articulation on the trigger and gripping fingers.

Interesting. I always thought the term was kind of strange though... didn't have anything to do with Kung Fu as far as I could tell...

Interesting. I always thought the term was kind of strange though... didn't have anything to do with Kung Fu as far as I could tell...

There's a little bit more to it: The term was chosen because "kung-fu" was at the height of its popularity with the TV show Kung-Fu, starring David Carradine, on TV and Bruce Lee doing martial arts movies in the early/mid 1970'.

The whole martial arts craze hit a zenith then and the term was just something used to capitalize on it.

GIJOE already had a Karate outfit set in the works and the addition of the grip just made it that much more appealing.

The Adventure Team brand was actually the bigger seller of the two early 12" GIJOE era, as it lasted longer and reach a wider audience than the military themed set.

Hasbro has always been one to latch GIJOE on to a current trend in entertainment, hence Kung-fu grip, or Mike Power: Atomic Man after the Six Million Dollar Man, or Dino-Hunters after Jurassic Park etc.

There's a little bit more to it: The term was chosen because "kung-fu" was at the height of its popularity with the TV show Kung-Fu, starring David Carradine, on TV and Bruce Lee doing martial arts movies in the early/mid 1970's.

Yeah, that's what I always assumed, but it still seemed weird to me.

Its sold out......SEVERAL TIMES already on the web site.

Hey guys,

I just checked Hot Topic's site and ordered one! For those interested here's the link.

Its sold out......SEVERAL TIMES already on the web site.

Hey guys,

I just checked Hot Topic's site and ordered one! For those interested here's the link.

WOO HOO!!!! i didnt think i was gonna get one of these guys! thanks for the link shane'o

TM

well, he's cool. I will have to go see if I can find one in town.

but now, my day is ruined, My illusion of Kung-fu grip has been shattered.... I always thought it was a cool action, but now I learn there is nothing really special about it....

:o @screamer@

anyone else feel really old when your in hot topic? i really feel out of place in there, like their gonna stop me at the door cause i dont have anything pierced? i just get a wierd feeling?

TM

anyone else feel really old when your in hot topic? i really feel out of place in there, like their gonna stop me at the door cause i dont have anything pierced? i just get a wierd feeling?

TM

I don't feel old, but I do feel out of place. So you're not alone.

wOOt! Found the last one of these at the local Whips and Chains.....uhhhh....I mean Hot Topic store tonight! What a GREAT deal for only $14.99! My only nitpick is that I wish the AT logo was on the other side of his shirt so that the strap from the holster didn't cross over it. Small detail overall.

Let's hope that MORE of these are released in the future and that Hot Topic (or whatever retailer carries them) keeps the price on the low. $15 is just a fantastic value on these!

Very collector friendly packaging too!