DCDirects screwed up scale!

thanos0341

This company's reluctance to address or even acknowledge there is a problem with a consistant,compatable 6' scale across the lines is inexcusable & has cost them plenty of my $$!

I simply refuse to buy any of there out of scale figures, no matter how good they may look!

Even Flash is shocked at how freakin tall Bats is! Note, these are from the same line, COIE.

BatsBarryFlash-1.jpg

Earth 2 COIE Supes & COIE Bats!

BatsE2Supes-2.jpg

Best catwoman figure ever, & DCDirect screw up the scale!

catwomanbats.jpg

Nightwing taller than Bats?

nightwingbats.jpg

DCDirect's pathetic version of the mighty Dog of War, Orion! Towering Firestorm. Orion is desperately in dire need of a re-sculpt, hopefully, DCwill let Ray Villafane sculpt him!

OrionFSFlash.jpg

So for all you excuse makers for DCdirects scale issues, here's the proof that they either don't care to fix the problem, or they just know there's a ton of suckers out there that will buy anything they put out, scale issue or not!

BTW, Haterademustdie posted these pics on another DCsite.

Nice pics, thanos0341!

Yeah DCD has their scale problems, but so does ML. I guess that's the problem when there are different sculptors/artists.

Who's the guy with the glasses in all the pics?

exactly, but unlike ML at least DCD doesn't try and say they're in scale

WHY is this an issue?

C'mon, why should DC Direct CARE if these figures are slightly out of scale with each other? They've made figures of those characters, and have sold them. That's all they care about.

Scale accomplishes exactly............what?

It gets YOU buying them? Well, the truth is your dollars alone don't really add to much. DCDirect has its captive audience for this product, it sells to people that want those characters.

Character representation is probably MORE important than scale consitency. These figures are done on the cheap, often with different sculptors working on the figures in the same sub-line--that's a easy recipe for scale incompatibility right there.

Logistically, how would it be possible to maintain scale under those conditions?

Well, they can't.

The hard truth is they accomplished what they set out to do--that its not satisfying to you personally is actually less of an issue to them than making sales in the first place.

I know that's not what you'll want to hear, but hey, there's other issues at work here besides a fan-boys desires.

Ive had to cut back on how much I spend on collecting and the DCD lines were the first to go. Partly because I was always more of a Marvel fan but the scale issues were really starting to piss me off too.

DC Direct... fix the scale problems and I may come back!

DCD has always had problems with a standard scale throughout their lines. Like the SA figures were smaller than the MA, but it really annoys me wehen the scale is messed up within the same line. Knightsfall Catwoman and now the COIE Batman come to mind. Still after the fixup I did the COIE is still too tall, but it is my favorate DCD Batman now. And looks great standing next to the SA Robin.

IMGP1958.jpg

In the end I ended up also painting his trunks blue -

IMGP1970.jpg

PJ

I don't get what the problem is. They are different lines of figures, so, they wouldn't all be compatible.

They used to draw batman like that, he was one of the taller, if memory serves....so I don't get why that is such a big deal.

I don't get what the problem is. They are different lines of figures, so, they wouldn't all be compatible.

They used to draw batman like that, he was one of the taller, if memory serves....so I don't get why that is such a big deal.

Check the pics again. That Batman, E-2 Superman, and Flash are all from the SAME line - Crisis On Infinite Earths. So it is a big deal.

You don't get what the problem is! C'mon man, Batman was & has never been drawn as being taller than Superman & he certainly does not tower over Barry or Wally either!

People with an attitude like you about DC's scale issues are the reason they continue to churn out the out of scale crap.

They know you will always buy them & make lame excuses such as "they're from different lines!"

Show me a rule that states, they have to make them different scales from one another just cuz they're from different lines!

This is Batman's official stats based on the Offical DCU data base!

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 210 lbs.

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Black

Superman

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Flash-Barry Allen

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 179 lb.

Hair: Blond

Flash-Wally West

Height: 6'

Weight: 175 lbs.

Eyes: Green

Hair: Red

let's see, Bats is an inch shorter than Superman & 3 inches taller than Barry & 2 inches taller than Wally!

That COIE Bats towers over all of them & is out of scale! NUFF SAID!

PS Mr Terrific, You bought that giant out of scale Bats, didn't you!

Show me a rule that states, they have to make them different scales from one another just cuz they're from different lines!

right after you show me the rule that says everything has to be the same scale ;)

Alright, another "I don't care that DC screws up the scale of a figure in the same freakin line" customer"!

let me be more specific, when I say same scale, I don't mean to imply that they all be exactly 6' inches tall!

I mean that Bats should be only half a head bigger if that, than the Wally West figure & just slightly smaller than the Superman figure. That would make thenm all be in the 6' scale family!

I guess you just don't care for scale compatability amongst your DC figures & happily buy every thing DC puts out, regardless if they go well with one another or not.

To each his own I guess.

Doesn't change the fact that COIE Bats is out of scale within his own line!

i'm just messin with ya Thanos, but for the most part scale doesn't bother me much. i'd like for the figures to be as accurate as possible but i don't let a couple inches stop me from buying a cool figure

Sorry if I snapped at you. But I am very much a scale nazi & nothing messes up a figure for me like it being out of scale with not only figures in it's own line, but with any of my 6' scaled DC figures!

DCDirect should come straight out & admit that this COIE Bats was really a holdover from the knightfall wave & they just stuck him in the COIE wave 3 ! Did they really think they could sneak this out of scale figure into this wave & we wouldn't notice?

Mr. Yac, sorry that a figure being 1'-2' taller than the rest of your figs doesn't bother you, but it does me!

Check the pics again. That Batman, E-2 Superman, and Flash are all from the SAME line - Crisis On Infinite Earths. So it is a big deal.

Yeah I agree, it's a big deal, I mean being off a little is ok....but when Batman looks like he's 9' tall when standing next to flash something is wrong. If I was still into DCD figures I'd be a little POed, but I gave up on them a long time ago.

I think that DCDirect's problem with getting the scale fixed so that there's a consitant compatability throughout the lines is that DC likes to assign different sculpters to the different waves & even to different figures, so each sculpter sculpts their figure at different hgts & who ever the art director is, he's not doing his job of making sure the scale is in the 6' scale.

Or maybe they just don't give a crap about scale uniformity & purposely want an uneven scale across the lines & waves!

If that's the case, I will just continue to not buy any figure they sculpt in the 7' scale!

IMO, The only wave that I have no problem with being in the 7' scale is the Ross JL line & that's because I read that from the beginning, this was gonna be a 7' scaled line. I still don't buy it, but at least they stated the scale at the start.

I really hope DC just gives the license to the the entire DCU to Mattel & let the 4HM take a crack at em!

You don't get what the problem is! C'mon man, Batman was & has never been drawn as being taller than Superman & he certainly does not tower over Barry or Wally either!

People with an attitude like you about DC's scale issues are the reason they continue to churn out the out of scale crap.

They know you will always buy them & make lame excuses such as "they're from different lines!"

This is Batman's official stats based on the Offical DCU data base!

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 210 lbs.

Superman

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Flash-Barry Allen

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 179 lb.

Hair: Blond

Flash-Wally West

Height: 6'

Weight: 175 lbs.

Eyes: Green

Hair: Red

let's see, Bats is an inch shorter than Superman & 3 inches taller than Barry & 2 inches taller than Wally!

That COIE Bats towers over all of them & is out of scale! NUFF SAID!

PS Mr Terrific, You bought that giant out of scale Bats, didn't you!

Sorry for sounding stupid. I will try not to next time.

Okay, you're right.... the batman looks off.... And that is why, I am waiting to get a bats DCD. I just haven't liked many of them. There may be one or two, but eh... DC superheroes it is.Thats why I stay away from series sets too... I don't care for all the problems. I just get the best looking figures, of the characters I like. So COIE leaves me wanting Flash (always looking for a good one) and the Physco-Pirate. My brother traded me a Supes, and I just don't care about the rest of the figures.

In closing, I can see why batman may bother you a bit, (all you need to do is put him with the tall figures.) I can see why you don't like scale mistakes in lines, if I bought lines, I would probably share that feeling, but out of series, I don't see that as much.

Mr Terrific, you end up by saying that 'out of series" you don't see that as much?

OK, let's say I wanna have a battle between Psycho Pirate & Knightfall Catwoman. I can't cuz she's scaled as a giant amazon & would tower over Pirate! Or if I wanna take action pics of certain characters fighting each other or in a team up, I can't cuz they're out of scale with one another!

That is the major issue alot of us are talking about when we complain about the scale being messed up by DC. that they are from different lines or themes is irrelevant! They all come from the same DCU & should be sculpted to be in scale with each other.

The 7' scale applies to characters such as Solomon Grundy, Darkseid, Anti-monitor, etc, not to Batman , Firestorm, catwoman, etc!

If the official DC database states that Anti-monitor is 7ft tall & Bats is 6'2, why in the world would you be satisfied or happy that the batman figure is the same scale as the Anti-monitor who in the comics is 10 inches taller!

Because they're from different lines? C'mon now, that's no excuse at all!

In Bats case, that excuse doesn't even hold water based on account of both of them being in the same COIE line!

i agree that the scale may be out of wack sometimes but i care more that the sculpt is top notch, that is way more important to me. they most likely have different sculptors for each line so that is why the scales are all over the place. really when it comes down to it, if you don't like it, don't buy them!

i agree that the scale may be out of wack sometimes but i care more that the sculpt is top notch, that is way more important to me. they most likely have different sculptors for each line so that is why the scales are all over the place. really when it comes down to it, if you don't like it, don't buy them!

Yeah, another "out of scale" supporter!

Sculpt wise, I can say I have hardly had a problem with their sculpts as they do great sculpting on the DCD figures for the most part. The scale is where they are constantly inconsitant with & there's no reason why they can't be great at both. They could also use an extra 2-3 POA while they're at it!

Waist articulation wouldn't kill the sculpt of the figure!

Neither would bicep swivel & ankle articulation.

PS I don't buy out of sCaLe figures!

thanos0341, That's all good and well, but with the 24, soon to be more.... My comic stores are running clearance, figues I have bought within 2 years ( I can't afford to buy them as much as I like, I would if I could, but I generally have to wait until clearance) Not one of them is off-scale. I have figures from the early years, to the present, and they all fit together.

Sure, you all buy many more than me, But that's because i was running into a large lack of income, I lost my job, now I can start again, but I still look at enough, and buy enough, where I see the scale. I don't think that there is much of a problem, when there is, it is usually crossing lines. DC Direct is like Hasbro, and do hasbro's toys match scale? no. In Star Wars, they started making the Female figures smaller, and smaller, Making it impossible to have them fit with the old ones, since they all look 15.

Although, that didn't make me stop buying Star wars, common lack of disinterest in anyone but boba fett did, it still is the same thing.

They can't go through every figure they make and say, "Hey, he is a few centimeters big, compared to the '99 Sandman figure, scrap it and start over." that wouldn't be cost effective.

thanos0341, That's all good and well, but with the 24, soon to be more.... My comic stores are running clearance, figues I have bought within 2 years ( I can't afford to buy them as much as I like, I would if I could, but I generally have to wait until clearance) Not one of them is off-scale. I have figures from the early years, to the present, and they all fit together.

Sure, you all buy many more than me, But that's because i was running into a large lack of income, I lost my job, now I can start again, but I still look at enough, and buy enough, where I see the scale. I don't think that there is much of a problem, when there is, it is usually crossing lines. DC Direct is like Hasbro, and do hasbro's toys match scale? no. In Star Wars, they started making the Female figures smaller, and smaller, Making it impossible to have them fit with the old ones, since they all look 15.

Although, that didn't make me stop buying Star wars, common lack of disinterest in anyone but boba fett did, it still is the same thing.

They can't go through every figure they make and say, "Hey, he is a few centimeters big, compared to the '99 Sandman figure, scrap it and start over." that wouldn't be cost effective.

I beg to differ. When DC gets the sculpt of the prototype , that's where they can make certain decisions such as

Sculpt doesn't look good-re-do it

Costume is off-fix it

Scale is too big/small-fix it

This is the stage where they can make changes & obviously, when it comes to sculpt, they just don't care to fix it.

BTW, I do buy the DCSH line from Mattel & their Darkseid is the definitive version! I hope they get the license to do a more expanded DCU line of figures asides from just Supes/Bats related ones.

I doubt it though, cuz DCDirect knows they'll get the scale issue corrected plus give them more POA & then hardly no one would buy DCDirect figs again.

Ah yes, another person who believes that sculpts just magically happen, and that adding extra POA's is "no problem at all".

Sorry, man, but you are very much over-looking or ignorant of how these figures get made.

They are done on the cheap, hence the articulation scheme they have. They are done in low runs--probably no more than 1/3 of the runs of any similar character in the Mattel line. That means the profit margin on these figures is pretty darn low.

They are a specialty item, aimed at specialty stores-I'm pretty sure they are not ending up on Target, TRU and Walmart in your neighbourhood.

So, having a extending design/sculpt process would cost money that DCdirect just doesn't want to spend, unless the sculpt is just so horribly off in appearance.

Also long as the buck comes in more or less at their "standard" height of around 6 inches, they more than likely approve it and send it along.

Going back for endless changes means handling the original sculpture, or images there of, and that can take time.

Someone will have to physically lay hands on the thing to change it, and knocking out a 1/2 inch of so of material can pretty much mean a complete re-do--to adjust for proportions etc. And then there's the shipping times, and costs involved with all that.

Its not as easy as you think.

Mattel can manage this because their pockets are far deeper.

For POAs, adding a additional POA to a figure means taking one part and creating a MINIMUM of two parts, often more to accomodate the hinges etc. The more parts, the larger and more complex the molds to cast the parts, the larger the molds, the more material they need to use to make the molds and the higher the costs go.

Add a POA to a wrist or ankle and the cost effectively doubles, because you do one wrist, you should do the other.

That affects the costs again and starts impacting on the decisions to make that figure.

The basic articulation that DCdirect offers gives them a pretty stable cost-out--they can chart what their expenses will be to make a given figure, because they know what the previous sample cost out at.

That means they know if they sell 20K units--or whatever the amount is---they'll get back X amount of dollars.

A lot of fans thinks its just no effort to add tons of articulation, but its not an easy thing at all either. The logistics of increasing the POA's invites quality control issues, paint apps, even packaging considerations. You will very likely NOT see anything change because there's little actual need for it.