To open or not to open...

Last Son of Krypton

Which looks better to you?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. To open or not to open?

• Open
    • Don't Open
    • Some YES, Some NO

I've been looking through the various collections posted around here and I find it really hard to decide on whether displaying my figures would be best if they're open or still in the box. Some look great in their packaging, yet others need to be released to truly appreciate them. I recently moved and I'm just getting around to going through everything and and so I'm just looking for some ideas. Most everything I've been picking up lately is still on card or in box because I knew they'd have to be re-packed anyways. While I'm sure its all personal preference, I just thought I'd seek some insight.

There are just so many positives and negatives for open vs carded that its making things difficult. So, need some help guys. #US1#

Well, for some figures like the Elseword Crimson Mist batman(Vampire bats), its probably best to open him to see how cool he looks~

Sometimes it depends on the package more than the figure. most of the DCD figures have limited articultion and there's not really a difference keeping them MOC or opening them.I think the JLA Classified series look fine in their box.

It depends... For me, 80% of what I have are in their box and in a plastic bin. The things I did open are not because I wanted to...it was more because of space considerations. It's so bad right now because I have a large like 42 of those large 40 gallon (maybe it's more than that) bins and they have taken over my storage, garage, office and guest room. So, I opened all my Transformers Cybertron and many of my Marvel Legends and Spider-Man figures.

All DC stuff...still in boxes...

If you feel that you won't feel bad about opening them, then do so. If you feel right away that you might regret it, then don't. I prefer to keep mine in boxes and aside from my current situation of having space problems, I opened those that I had two of. And now, I'm opening nearly all my ML's...

As for my DC stuff...well, I did want to open up my new frontier's. But hehe..now that I have two tables occupied with open toys (ML and Transformers), I rather not open anymore. For one, my child likes to go and mess things up and two, in my office, one client last week and my father yesterday looked perplex that I had so many toys in my office.

Also, think about your space concerns of your room and so forth. If you have children, etc.

kndy

It depends... For me, 80% of what I have are in their box and in a plastic bin. The things I did open are not because I wanted to...it was more because of space considerations. It's so bad right now because I have a large like 42 of those large 40 gallon (maybe it's more than that) bins and they have taken over my storage, garage, office and guest room. So, I opened all my Transformers Cybertron and many of my Marvel Legends and Spider-Man figures.

All DC stuff...still in boxes...

If you feel that you won't feel bad about opening them, then do so. If you feel right away that you might regret it, then don't. I prefer to keep mine in boxes and aside from my current situation of having space problems, I opened those that I had two of. And now, I'm opening nearly all my ML's...

As for my DC stuff...well, I did want to open up my new frontier's. But hehe..now that I have two tables occupied with open toys (ML and Transformers), I rather not open anymore. For one, my child likes to go and mess things up and two, in my office, one client last week and my father yesterday looked perplex that I had so many toys in my office.

Also, think about your space concerns of your room and so forth. If you have children, etc.

kndy

Good Lord that's a lot of stuff! I used to have a lot of stuff stored in bins but I've been slowly selling it off over the past few years. I enjoy a smaller, more focused (and open) collection much more. But hey, to each his own, right?

Good Lord that's a lot of stuff! I used to have a lot of stuff stored in bins but I've been slowly selling it off over the past few years. I enjoy a smaller, more focused (and open) collection much more. But hey, to each his own, right?

If I had to do it all over again and instead of bought the AF's, I would of invested more towards the Sideshow stuff, the more expensive collectibles or older toylines or focus on a certain line than too many lines.

A friend of mine talked about how we went crazy in the 90's buying the old DC & Marvel stuff and kept them in their box and put them away (this includes my collection of Star Trek: The Next Generation). Guess what...people are selling these by lots for less than what they paid for the figures and the figures are in their original package.

I sometimes wonder about the things I have in those bins... I feel that I'm coming more and more to the realization that the toys and action figures should be opened. It's like my comic books...I had for many years...many I bought way back then and never read. It just sits in an acid free box, in plastic and I wonder by keeping them there...is it for my benefit, is it more or less clutter.

I admire those who have the freedom and can open their toys, especially when they are truly dedicated to a character or line. I'm still stuck in the notion of keeping them box and in bins but I often ponder why.... for the sake of saying that I have it, for the sake of being a collector...

But I do know I have too many stuff that I looked at once...at the store, to take a photo and then put it into a bin and again, the more I think about it...I ask myself many times...why?

kndy

At one point I was collecting Star Wars, GI Joe, Marvel Legends, the 6-inch DC Direct figures, and a few other misc. lines. I was swimming in figures and just couldn't justify storing most of it in bins. After selling off most of it, I've been buying the "higher end" items with the money. Sideshow and 13" DC Direct for the most part. Really the only mass retail item I buy is Marvel Legends ICONS.

If I had to, I would sell the Sideshow and ML ICONS right now. The 13" DC Direct is really my all time favorite line - it displays nicely and it's a really high quality series. In short, it makes me happy and I have no regrets purchasing them.

I think you'd be surprised at how "liberating" it can feel to get rid of all that excess. More isn't better IMO.

I think you'd be surprised at how "liberating" it can feel to get rid of all that excess. More isn't better IMO.

I know what you mean. I used to collect Star Wars, MOTU, DC, Marvel, McFarlane Movie Maniacs, McFarlane Sports stuff (mostly football) and various other misc. items. Well, I've gotten rid of quite a bit. Last winter I got rid of most of the McFarlane stuff, ALL of the SW Unleashed line (i had all but 1 at that point), most of my other SW stuff, and most of my MOTU stuff. I hate leaving things just sit around stored in boxes or bins.

I'm sort of regretting getting rid of the Unleashed line, but oh well, whats done is done. I'm trying to stick with mostly DC related stuff now, but still make an occasional purchase of something else, keeping in mind though that I don't want to get crazy with all that stuff again. I'm trying now to focus on getting statues. I only have a few so far, obviously because they're expensive, but I do like buying the higher end items. Its stuff that I know I'll NEVER get rid of, and of course they display quite nicely. As for figures, right now the only thing I'm absolutely positive I'll never get rid of is my Alex Ross Justice figures (which at this point I HAVEN'T opened) and most of my various Superman and Batman figs.

I find this true just about every year. I buy up most everything I "want" throughout the year, and come winter, (I don't have to work in the winter...but still get paid...hooray!), I start going through everything and weeding stuff out. It seems to usually work out though. Some things go up in price and some I lose money on, but it keeps me busy I guess, and I love doing it, which in the end is why we collect in the first place right?

Me personally I open all my figures(DC & Marvel Legends the only 2 lines I collect oh and JLU too)

For now all my DC figures are in tubs, since I'm moving soon and will finally get to display my collection in WHOLE, while about 80% of my ML are displayed

The only figures I don't open and leave MOC are the variant ML

I also collect busts and statues as well

Me personally I open all my figures(DC & Marvel Legends the only 2 lines I collect oh and JLU too)

For now all my DC figures are in tubs, since I'm moving soon and will finally get to display my collection in WHOLE, while about 80% of my ML are displayed

You're moving from Pueblo West? Where are you headed? I also collect a few busts and statues but dang.....that's an expensive road to go down!

In my case, about 98% of my DC stuff is MIB or MOC, I've opened very few figures, the Superman series Bizarro (I wish I hadn't), the Alex Ross Hawkman (Too cool), the DC superheroes Batman series 1, and the series 2 Superman, and random JLU figures to customize.

You're moving from Pueblo West? Where are you headed? I also collect a few busts and statues but dang.....that's an expensive road to go down!

Not far, haha we'll be slightly before Pueblo West, just moving to a bigger place. :D

I figure it kills the future $$$ of these figures.

Therein lies the problem. I guess it all boils down to why we're collecting. Are we doing it because we just like to do it, or are we hoping to make some money down the line? Probably a little of both I would say. Well, I guess I'm gonna try and narrow down exactly what I'm collecting. I figure probably 95% DC related items since those are pretty much my favorite and there is such a wide variety with only more to come. And of course, I'll keep some boxed, and open a few others. Just depends how they look with or without the box I guess or how much I think they'll increase in value...

Guest Mr.Wayne

I do a bit of both, I collect DCSH MOC and loose, The Batman MOC, JLU MOC and a few other odds and ends I mostly have loose. I mostly keep stuff MOC cause it takes up less space in my room.

I have a tendency to buy multiples of figures I like, so for every favorite loose figure I have around, I usually have 1-2 MOC somewhere. I have various loose and MOC G.I. Joes, DC figures,Marvel, etc.

I even have three Hot Toys Superman Returns figures (one loose,two MIB). >_< I love him lots. I'm sure people familiar with Hot Toys, their figures & their prices can understand how painful that can be.

My bro and I recently got into collecting 12'' figures (Hot Toys,Sideshow, Medicom,etc.) and let me tell you THOSE boxes take up a huge amount of space. My bro has a lot of 12'' figure boxes stacked right in front of his closet so you can't even get into it.

At one point I was collecting Star Wars, GI Joe, Marvel Legends, the 6-inch DC Direct figures, and a few other misc. lines. I was swimming in figures and just couldn't justify storing most of it in bins. After selling off most of it, I've been buying the "higher end" items with the money. Sideshow and 13" DC Direct for the most part. Really the only mass retail item I buy is Marvel Legends ICONS.

If I had to, I would sell the Sideshow and ML ICONS right now. The 13" DC Direct is really my all time favorite line - it displays nicely and it's a really high quality series. In short, it makes me happy and I have no regrets purchasing them.

If you're into "higher end" figures and have the cash, you might want to look into Hot Toys and Medicom products.

I have a tendency to buy multiples of figures I like, so for every favorite loose figure I have around, I usually have 1-2 MOC somewhere. I have various loose and MOC G.I. Joes, DC figures,Marvel, etc.

I even have three Hot Toys Superman Returns figures (one loose,two MIB). >_< I love him lots. I'm sure people familiar with Hot Toys, their figures & their prices can understand how painful that can be.

My bro and I recently got into collecting 12'' figures (Hot Toys,Sideshow, Medicom,etc.) and let me tell you THOSE boxes take up a huge amount of space. My bro has a lot of 12'' figure boxes stacked right in front of his closet so you can't even get into it.

If you're into "higher end" figures and have the cash, you might want to look into Hot Toys and Medicom products.

Wanna part with one of your three Hot Toys Superman figures to get me started? @lol@ I'm actually really considering getting rid of pretty much all of my Sideshow stuff so that I can buy the Hot Toys and Medicom DC products.