Well, I broke down and bought em

Crimson Twins

I saw them in my local TRU, which is rare in itself, and my wife said I could have three sets for Christmas (even though it's my money we're spending). I was pretty excited. Not because I really like this set. Not even because I like to army build. Mostly because I knew they would become good trade bait for me. I have enough other Vipers, and while these do look a whole lot better in person than I originally anticipated, I'm thinking I'm only going to keep one of the sets, and trade the other two. I don't find them to be AS flawed as I initially thought, but I still don't like them that much. The paint apps are pretty sweet, minus the grey stripe on the boots. Don't know what they were thinking there. I really like the 240B's that they come with, but the grey weapons are a pass. And, like it's been brought up before, if you have a Viper carrying a SAW, then why do you need a SAW Viper? So, the weapon choice baffles me, too. I'll have to resupply them with some good weapons from my armory. Of course, there's also the red figure stands. Now, I know many of you don't like them, but for someone who has a fairly large Crimson Army, these help display my CG's pretty nicely. So I like those. Why they came with the Vipers, I'll never know. Seems kinda dumb. I also don't like the fact that these need to be altered (as mentioned in another post) just so they can be displayed properly. I guess I'm not helping my cause of trying to trade these if I keep knocking them like this.

So, my final opinion (not an average): I'll give them a 'C'

Figure Choice: B (Seen a lot of Vipers in the past 4 years)

Concept: A (Army building 6 pack gets an A from me every time)

Figure Construction: C (still hate those lower legs and the issues that have plagued the Viper for the last few years)

Paint Apps: B (The grey on the boots is my only real complaint here)

Weapons: D (red stands included)

Price: D ($5 more than usual, and still the same number of figures)

Execution: B (how they pulled all the above together, and whether I'll think it'll sell)

Well, that's just my opinion. I don't have a flashy review with awesome pics. Just what I thought when I bought these (or when my wife got them for me for Christmas). I borrowed some elements from other guys reviews, but these are all MY opinions. A little late I know, but things don't get here as fast as they do on the mainland. Now to start trading some of these guys.

What grade WITHOUT the stands?

I had to drive 600 miles to find the friggin things, so I picked up 2 packs (haven't decided if I WANT 2...).

For the weapons grade without the stands would probably still be a 'C'. I'm not big on the weapons they chose for these guys. And while the grey color I'm sure was intended to be a tribute to the V1 Viper's grey rifle, it just doesn't look like a good color on these weapons. Plus, the issues I mentioned with the SAWs, makes me not like their inclusion in this set. I like the weapons, I just feel them to be the wrong choice for the Vipers. Sorry to hear you had to drive so far to get these. If it came down to it, I wouldn't have driven that far to buy them. That might just be me, but they're not worth that much IMO.

Yesterday I went to tru looking for Transfomer Classics and instead walked out with 3 packs of vipers. I love this set, I agree the grey part on the boot is strange, im tempted to paint em black. But overall these look pretty good. I would rate them a B+. Sucks theres only 4 backpacks. But Im glad Hasbro putting out 6 pack army buiders.

Didn't even notice that they shorted us two backpacks. That sucks. Like I said, these look pretty nice, especially in person close up. I just hate the construction problems that have plagues this Viper for almost seven years now. I know I can fix it myself, but why should I have to. If I can fix it, can't Hasbro do something to fix the mold? And while with the paint all I could find to complain about was the grey on the boots, construction wise, those boots don't really look right with the new recast thighs that they have. Minor gripes, but those are the reason this set didn't score too high with me. Keep in mind, a 'C' is considered the average grade, with 'B' being above average, and 'A' being excellent. So, I still think this is an OK set. Just not a must buy for me. I know other people out there just have to have this set, and as many as possible, but I'm not one of them. Like I said, I'll probably only keep one of them, and trade the other two away.

I like the set. Of course I can't afford the originals so this is the only way for me to army build my 2nd favorite army builder. I have 2 packs and want at least 4.

My only problem is the grey on the boots. It's really out of place. Like Hasbro told the design team "We have way too much grey paint find a way to get rid of it." So they just slapped it on the boots. But no big deal. It doesn't bother me that much that their heads are always in a downward position. I figure they're just lowly vipers so they are ashamed and have their heads hanging low.

It doesn't bother me that much that their heads are always in a downward position. I figure they're just lowly vipers so they are ashamed and have their heads hanging low.

@loll@ Must suck to be a Viper. Poor guys. Gotta walk around with their heads hanging.

And I could see Hasbro doing that with the grey paint. It almost sounds like something silly, but it could make sense, and I could see it happening that way. An army builder 6 pack made in mass quantities would be a good way to get rid of a lot of paint. Even if it's just a few boot stripes at a time, that would add up pretty quick.

i picked this set up today as well. gotta say i freakin love this set, i like the colors, even if i had to mod all the packs i buy they would be worth it. the viper is classic troop figure and these are almost dead on match to the original. the gray on the boots looks like clips for their gray weapons to me, alittle darker but still fine. best set since night watch! a home run for hasbro!

TM

I'm sure they can find other uses for grey paint...

I bought a bunch, and am hoping to get some cast lower legs for them to fix them up a bit. Until then, they're MOSC... It sucks that Hasbro kind of half-assed the whole leg thing. They might as well have recast the crotch and boots. If there's one figure they'd get their money's worth from recasting the missing parts, it's this one... People say they're sick of Vipers but if they were all the original parts, I could think of some pretty sick new colour schemes that people would love.

I'm sure they can find other uses for grey paint...

I bought a bunch, and am hoping to get some cast lower legs for them to fix them up a bit. Until then, they're MOSC... It sucks that Hasbro kind of half-assed the whole leg thing. They might as well have recast the crotch and boots. If there's one figure they'd get their money's worth from recasting the missing parts, it's this one... People say they're sick of Vipers but if they were all the original parts, I could think of some pretty sick new colour schemes that people would love.

I'll admit that if they were dead on matches to the V1 (construction wise. I like the new paint a little better, minus the grey on the boots), I would have bought all six packs they had at TRU that day. No questions.

What grade WITHOUT the stands?

I had to drive 600 miles to find the friggin things, so I picked up 2 packs (haven't decided if I WANT 2...).

For the weapons grade without the stands would probably still be a 'C'. I'm not big on the weapons they chose for these guys. And while the grey color I'm sure was intended to be a tribute to the V1 Viper's grey rifle, it just doesn't look like a good color on these weapons. Plus, the issues I mentioned with the SAWs, makes me not like their inclusion in this set. I like the weapons, I just feel them to be the wrong choice for the Vipers. Sorry to hear you had to drive so far to get these. If it came down to it, I wouldn't have driven that far to buy them. That might just be me, but they're not worth that much IMO.

Well, I didn't go specifically FOR them. I had to go to Las Cruces to take care of some loose ends and El Paso is only another half hour or so away. I STILL haven't found the Viper pack or the Plague pack in New Mexico, so I figured I'd better pick them up while the opportunity presented itself. It was more of a bonus to the trip then a specific goal.

The thing with the SAWS was pretty stupid, yeah. I don't mind the color of the weapons so much, but the CHOICE of weapons is ##$%$#ed. Those Ambush rifles have gotta be among the worst weapons in the line.

Hey guys, here's a little something to help lighten the load on the cost of this set...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/ja...a/tru5off25.jpg

Print it out as much as you want to. I love these kinds of coupons. And if they insist on the $25 means $25, not a penny shy before tax, just grab a pack of M & M's or some other $0.70 candy. @firedevil@

Hey guys, here's a little something to help lighten the load on the cost of this set...

Print it out as much as you want to. I love these kinds of coupons. And if they insist on the $25 means $25, not a penny shy before tax, just grab a pack of M & M's or some other $0.70 candy. @firedevil@

Cool.

I've actually had trouble with coupons like these before. Because they are printed off a computer, the cashiers don't always take them.

Cool.

I've actually had trouble with coupons like these before. Because they are printed off a computer, the cashiers don't always take them.

*knock on wood* I've never had a problem with this. Heck, I just beat the system senseless on the LEGO sale thing. It's buy one get one 50% off this week, plus I had one of those $5 coupons as well as a 20% off one item gift card I'd gotten in the mail last month. All 3 deals combined to get me & a friend each the LEGO SW Turbo Tank. Usually $100 each, total for 2 after multiple deals, $134 & change after tax. I'm a really good guy for working deals out of the system. @firedevil@

So the Viper Pit is out? When was it released? I kept looking at Hasbrotoyshop.com and Amazon.com looking for when it would be released, but saw nothing. I'll need to check my local TRU stores (local meaning within a 100 mile radius, as they are rather sparse around me).

They just started showing up a few weeks ago (for me at least). I have 2 and am looking to add 2 more.

Well...hopefully I'm not too late then. I did stop off to a Toys R' Us on a trip to my sister's house for thanksgiving, but the racks were bare. I was wondering if it might have been because someone cleared them of the vipers, but the labels on the racks did not suggest it.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open. I still wonder why it says nothing on hasbrotoyshop or Amazon.com. Maybe I just plain suck when it comes to searches.

They just started showing up a few weeks ago (for me at least). I have 2 and am looking to add 2 more.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open. I still wonder why it says nothing on hasbrotoyshop or Amazon.com. Maybe I just plain suck when it comes to searches.

I don't think they've showed up on amazon or HTS yet. They may never show up on those sites. Hard to tell. Amazon tends to get a lot of the leftover stock, so they might. HTS is kinda hit or miss. Wave 3 had been out for a few months at retail before they had it up on their site. So don't worry if you haven't seen them at those two sites. They're probably just a bit behind as usual.