Superman Returns Major Plothole

JayC

OK I never thought of this the first time I watched the movie, but it occured to me last night after watching it again on DVD that it seems very odd that Lois wouldn't be freaking out now that she knows Superman is the father of her kid.

I mean think about it, yes Lois and Superman did sleep together in the Fortress of Solitude in Superman II, so ita certainly concievable that he got her pregnate then, however Lois shouldn't be able to remember that. That whole time should be blanked from her memory and so she should have no knowlodge that they ever had sex. I assume that when the kid killed the guy with the piano, that was the first time Lois realized who the kids real father was, but you would think she would be wondering how the hell that could have happened, and not just wondering but freaking out about it????

Who say's the only time thy had sex was in that movie. It could have happend off screen.

and I agree about the kryptonite island thing. Very weak writing indeed.

The way I viewed it, she hooked up with Perry's son shortly after Superman dissappeared, so maybe they got it on only a few days after, so the time lag wouldn't be all that noticable

The problem isnt how she would have thought cyclops was orginally the dad, the problem is that Lois' memory of ever having sex with superman was wiped away at the end of Superman II so she would have know way of knowing how she could have had his kid, after realizing the kid has super powers.

i think the bigger plothole was supes being able to carry the giant kryptonite island when a small sliver of it almost killed him. talk about horrible writing....

I disagree, though it was a bit of a stretch, the first showdown superman was not expecting the kryptonite and got got off guard. Before lifting the island he prepared himself for the krypronite by flying up into the sun and powering up, then flying really fast and getting the island, and it did show how week it was making him but basically he fought through the pain to do what he had to do and even then it almost killed him.

So like I said a bit of a stretch but at least the writers made an attempt to explain and justife how it was done.

Who say's the only time thy had sex was in that movie. It could have happend off screen.

I don't think they had sex off screen. Superman was still calling Lois miss Lane and there is no way she could have sex with him and not no he was Clark.

I saw it last night because my father had never seen it and I bought the Ultimate Superman Box Set and I like more than I did in the theaters!

:)

I saw it twice in the theatres. The first time I saw it I thought it was pretty good. The second time through I thought it was not very good.

And I wanted it to be the best movie ever, unfortunately it was not. Heres hoping the second one is better!

did you not see Supes go to the sun to get re-charged? duuude @hmmm@

So he can touch kryptonite anytime as long he gets charged by the sun first? Riiight.

well keep in mind the entire land mass wanst kryptonite, I don't think the kyrptonite was really near him untill those two shards grew out next to him and thats when he really started to feel the effects. If you can by that Superman can fly fast enough to turn the world backwards and that then causes time to go backwards, then I don't think its that hard to swallow him lifting that mass out into space.

The effects of the Kryptonite on Superman is not instant, but takes time. Before he went to the island, he had been pushing his powers to their limit in Metropolis, then pulling the boat full of water with Lois, Jason, and Richard inside. When he first arrived at the island where Lex was, his powers were most likely mostly depleted, which was why Lex and his goons were able to easily overpower him. Once he was saved by Lois and Richard, and had most of the kryptonite shard removed, he was able to fly up above the clouds long enough to fully repower himself. While he was lifting the island, he didn't have any kryptonite near him until those shards began to grow near him. Which was why he collapsed after he got the island into space.

Personally, I don't see why he didn't try using his heat vision to burn those shards away before they could affect him.

So he can touch kryptonite anytime as long he gets charged by the sun first? Riiight.

and like I said earlier, he afterwards collapsed, was rushed to the emergency room and ALMOST DIED!! Plus, did you see him sweating and heavily breathing as he lifted that thing? I guess Suddlety (sp?) must just be a lost art on people today

Easy reply is that, after all the backlash, there were far too many varibles in Superman II that make it hard to explain the kid based on the Lois and Clark hook up in that flick.

So now Singer is saying that his movie is a sequel/remake/hack-rehash of *only* Superman I, and that we should now interpret the scene where Lois and Supes fly through the city as a metaphor for them having sex.

This kid, then, is the biological result of a metaphoric f*ck. I dunno about you, but if I were either of them, I'd ask the other for my money back...

I thought the movie was great. except for the "he stands for truth, justice and all that stuff"

That is B^!!&h!t. I went and searched and they wanted to be "politically correct" and not offend anyone. So they wouldn't put american way in the script. Screw them if you don't believe in the american way you shouldn't be watching it.

I loved the movie.

I think Lois was freaking out in her own way, but she was in the middle of trying to save herself (and her kid) from death, so maybe she really didn't have anytime to truly grasp her kid was part "Super". And after all the craziness ceased, and she had time to think about it (off screen mind you), she had to deal with the fact Superman was dying. So I think she did freak out, we just didn't get to see it. I thought it was a pretty good storyline for bringing Supes back into the movie theatre.

and like I said earlier, he afterwards collapsed, was rushed to the emergency room and ALMOST DIED!! Plus, did you see him sweating and heavily breathing as he lifted that thing? I guess Suddlety (sp?) must just be a lost art on people today

Did you watch the first Superman movie when Superman was exposed to kryptonite by opening that lead box? The effect was instanteous and he couldn't even move with that thing's around his neck, much less lift anything. If Singer based his Superman on Donner version then why can't the Superman react the same way to kryptonite as well?

And the thing with the kid is also BS. If Superman and Lois had sex when he lost his powers technically he's no longer kryptonian and the kid would not have inherited his krypto genes, thus he shouldn't have those powers to begin with.

If Superman and Lois had sex when he lost his powers technically he's no longer kryptonian and the kid would not have inherited his krypto genes, thus he shouldn't have those powers to begin with

Well, if you take the Donner cut as Supes II, they did the deed BEFORE he decided to give up his powers, which works better as for explaining the kid. As for Lois freaking out, her character has never been one to just freak out. She has always hid her emotions from pretty much everyone except for Superman. Its part of her tough exterior, and its also part of her charm when she lets her guard down around Superman.

Suffice it to say that these are very complex characters that have had many overhauls over the years, from comics, to cartoons, to tv shows, and film. To be able to say "THIS is how it is" and have everyone buy into it, is pretty impossible. We all have our own favorite version of Supes, or at least what he should be in our eyes, which makes much of the debate on any of this a moot point.

Did you watch the first Superman movie when Superman was exposed to kryptonite by opening that lead box? The effect was instanteous and he couldn't even move with that thing's around his neck, much less lift anything. If Singer based his Superman on Donner version then why can't the Superman react the same way to kryptonite as well?

Well, I don't know what to say about the kid. I was scratching my head on that one myself but as for the Kryptonite, when he was lifting it, he was breathing heavily, he was sweating, he was weakening, and he nearly died afterwards. Isn't that enough?

well keep in mind the entire land mass wanst kryptonite, I don't think the kyrptonite was really near him untill those two shards grew out next to him and thats when he really started to feel the effects. If you can by that Superman can fly fast enough to turn the world backwards and that then causes time to go backwards, then I don't think its that hard to swallow him lifting that mass out into space.

True. Also understand that Luthor used a rather small amount of kryptonite to make the island. I assume that Kryptonite cannot change its mass like the kyrptonian crystal thingy, so the power of the kyrptonite was mixed and spread out onto the island. In other words, that knife is more powerful than the island since it is in a higher concertration.

Also, for those who think the kryponite island thing is impossible for Superman to carry is crap, do you guys ever heard of stories where someone gets shot or whatever, uses all its strength to take a dying love one to the hospital w/o feeling the pain? I am sure Kyrptonians are similar to humans where they have endorphins that stops the feeling of pain to survive.

I actually learned this in psychology class the other day where the professor told a story about a WWII soldier who brought his wounded friend to a hospital, where he ask the doctor to save him. The doctor said "he is already dead and you are too." As it turns out, the soldier's guts is hanging out of his stomach, dragging several feet away. The soldier didn't feel it since he was too focus in saving his friend.

Superman could have been the same where he was so determine to save metrotolips that his endoprhins kicked in, preventing him to feel pain until he got the job done.

True. Also understand that Luthor used a rather small amount of kryptonite to make the island. I assume that Kryptonite cannot change its mass like the kyrptonian crystal thingy, so the power of the kyrptonite was mixed and spread out onto the island. In other words, that knife is more powerful than the island since it is in a higher concertration.

Actually, Kryptonite would be the same kind of kryptonian crystal as the crystals Luthor stole from the fortress. The only difference being the crystals from the fortress were not radiated when Krypton exploded. Aside from radiation, the crystals would be exactly the same and if the non-kryptonite crystal could replicate and grow in water, so could the Kryptonite, which I am sure is why Luthor added it.

It's hard to say what parts of the first two Superman movies is history for Superman Returns. As Superman Returns is not a literal sequel to the first two movies, it's conceivable that Lois and Supes did the nasty, without the revelation that he's Clark and the mind wipe and all that. *shrug* But Lois must have jumped into Richard's bed pretty quickly after that.

I like to imagine that the material of the island had the shielding properties of lead, so that the kryptonite only affected Superman when they started poking out towards the end. It wouldn't make much sense for the entire island to be composed of lead... 'cause that would be a pretty poisonous place for humans to inhabit. Or he was just really determined.

In general, I still liked the movie a lot.

Actually, Kryptonite would be the same kind of kryptonian crystal as the crystals Luthor stole from the fortress. The only difference being the crystals from the fortress were not radiated when Krypton exploded. Aside from radiation, the crystals would be exactly the same and if the non-kryptonite crystal could replicate and grow in water, so could the Kryptonite, which I am sure is why Luthor added it.

didnt they say somewhere in there that the crystal would create landmass by mimicking and reproducing the material around it? if that were the case then that's the reason it was growing kryptonite... in addition to the soil underwater, it was interacting with the kryptonite and growing more of it along with growing more land