Question on Comic Shops!!

Lady Jaye

I'm talking right off the bat, brand new variant issues, do they charage an inflated price?? The one here in Albany does!! I always wondered about that, cause the store back home, Austin Books never did!! Of course they may now, but no way of knowing really!!

So does your store charge extra for the variants from day 1??

Sorry I posted this in the Marvel forum, but this forum has higher traffic that the comic one!!

Its different from shop to shop, the stores get them in for regular price but depending on what they have to order they can get stuck with a lot of issuses for a long timeee.... SOooo they really don't make much $$ off of them untill they wind up selling all those other books!

One store near me use to give them to regulars who order the books and get them on hold all the time & would ask them if they want it first, which is kinda nice. Another place near me charges $10 for the variants & I think more for the other stuff, like the 1:100 sketch covers & what not I think is around the $50ish range or so for them

The ratios are normaly 1:10/50/100 -up some comanys do stupid things like 1:200 or more ratios I think I saw about a 1:1000

one time ...as if .... Just wondering but what title are oyu after the variant/s? Unless its a hot/popular title like say the NA (which has droped in price now) or the civil war for example you can get the suckers off ebay for ar ound the $10-20ish range if not less most of the time if they are not graded. They are not really worth paying a lot for because sooner or latter they will drop down in price once the popularity of the book goes

yeah they do, like all the variant turner cW covers

Well what did you think would happen if you posted in a toy forum?

I don't know, perhaps someone smart enough to answer the question at hand ?

@loll@

Anyhow, that sucks!! I'm not into buying variants as an investment, so I would never buy these variants at higher prices!! I just remember the variants being made available to all on a first come first serve basis!! When the Heroes were Reborn, I picked up a good number of the variant covers!! The Thor one was boss!!

Thanks for the replies!! Would like to hear from my Southern bretheren, see how it is down there!! Especially if anyone shops at Austin Books on Lamar!!

Yea the one here in Carmel, NY does. Not too bad though, I picked up the new avengers variants when the hot for about 5 dollars each. Charges 15 for the CW variants though.

Nice! I only need the spidey and wolvie coverfrom that set haha :D

Someday! some day!! They are droping greatly in price give or take a year or two I should be able to get a 9.8 cgc spidey for about $15-20 :)

generally what i see is the covers that are 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 variants go for higher prices, but like the wolverine:origin covers that are deemed "variant editions" on the cover go for cover price b/c i think they ship equal ratios...just the unequal ratios go for higher prices that i can tell

The comic shop i go to in Baton Rouge, LA does. its not to bad though. the 1:75 turner books are like 50+ but the regular variants are a lot cheaper i think #1 was like 29.95 then the last one for #5 was like 16.95. i haven't gotten them cause they suck(i just dont think turner is that great) except #3 was pretty cool. uh others like the Wolverine origins with the Canada flag cover i think they sold for like 150.00 or so. so it just depends how much they have to order to get one or how many they get. the owner is kind of a jerk tho so he will try to rip you off in a heart beat. but they do like 2 50% off sales a year and most the time the variants are still there by then so you can get them a lot cheaper.

the variants they price at around 20.00 are not bad by the time i get my 20% off for being a club member. any book they get 50:50 on is just cover.

I'm talking right off the bat, brand new variant issues, do they charage an inflated price?? The one here in Albany does!! I always wondered about that, cause the store back home, Austin Books never did!! Of course they may now, but no way of knowing really!!

So does your store charge extra for the variants from day 1??

Sorry I posted this in the Marvel forum, but this forum has higher traffic that the comic one!!

Some do, some don't. My local store charges $20 for a variant...doesn't matter how old it is.

kndy

Yea the one here in Carmel, NY does. Not too bad though, I picked up the new avengers variants when they hit for about 5 dollars each. Charges 15 for the CW variants though.

Nice! I only need the spidey and wolvie coverfrom that set haha :D

Someday! some day!! They are droping greatly in price give or take a year or two I should be able to get a 9.8 cgc spidey for about $15-20 :)

Nice. I only have the cap and ronin ones but I have most of the sentry variant covers. One is even signed by Neal Adams

Well what did you think would happen if you posted in a toy forum?

I don't know, perhaps someone smart enough to answer the question at hand ?

@loll@

You even admitted to posting in the wrong forum. Maybe he expected that you were smart enough to put this thread in the right place. @hmmm@

Yeah my comic store does as well he keeps all the variant covers on a wall behind the counter and they arent a bad $$ but some are

Yeah, me too, right behind the counter.

Are you talking about Outland Station?

generally what i see is the covers that are 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 variants go for higher prices, but like the wolverine:origin covers that are deemed "variant editions" on the cover go for cover price b/c i think they ship equal ratios...just the unequal ratios go for higher prices that i can tell

That's how mine is too. Any shop owner that actually charges more for the 50/50 variant covers is a huge a**hole. Does anyone have a shop that actually does that? Seems like Marvel puts out a few books every month with multiple covers in equal print runs.