Who was your first G.I. Joe?

asurmac

Budo, Chuckles, and Sneak Peek. Got em around the time they came out for Christmas. My parents never wanted me to have them cause they were military toys, yet I could have toy guns and star wars toys. They finally saw the holes in their logic I guess, cause I was pretty surprised when I opened them up for Christmas.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one I remember having was Stalker and that is just a vague memory ( was 4 y/o in 1982). I assume I also had Clutch Because I had a vamp but I honestly don't remember ever playing with him.

The first Joe I had was Flash. My grandmother bought him for me in 1982 shortly after they came out. I wanted him because he had a laser rifle. Star Wars was still big for me at that time. I had Breaker and the RAM a week or two later.

Hmm, it was either the HAL w/ Grand Slam (clearance aisle @ Service Merchandise) or Grunt & ShortFuse (& Polar Battle Bear?) as birthday presents. I have a few '82 items, but, I'm guessing I started collecting in '83

Seeing that the price point was so low, I got several at a time...Snake Eyes, Stalker Zap, and Cobra Trooper (that's how my peeps rolled on birthdays)

My first Joe custom was a "On-Model" Shipwreck in Wetsuit. I saw the episode and applied the repair techniques to doctor him up.

First vehicle was H.A.V.O.C. with super lance bass Cross Country (even then I didn't like his confederate slant?!)

But I'm old school, back in the day, before scanning you would be able to swap stickers to lower the price for vehicles. I got Destro's Despoiler/D.E.M.O.N.(the connected together, I thought that was so F'n cool!), Cobra BUGG and the Iron Grenadier A.G.P. for about $5 a piece.

To this day I prefer the Gold Destro, because the Iron Grenadiers are the shiznittle-snip-snap-snip!!!

Mine was Zap V.1

I was probably about 5 years old. My first step-father had been into the 12 inchers and was getting a few of the originals and asked me if I wanted one too. For whatever reason I picked Zap. I played with him more than any other toy I had.

That year on my birthday I got Clutch and the VAMP. From then until Christmas it was just Zap and Clutch driving all over the place in the VAMP. I don't remember what I had them doing but it was fun I guess.

• 3 months later...

swivel arms : flash and CC (on action force cards, i believe)

i got them whiel on holidays i had no idea what gi joe was back then since the cartoon wasn't broadcasted before 1987 in France

I was about 4 or 5 years old, so it'd be 1966-1967. 12" Black Painted hair Action Sailor, with Shore Patrol outfit--the , ahem......real GIJOE.

Christmas 1967....I got my very first 12" G.I.Joe, Black painted hair Action Soldier, just like the one seen here:

GiJoeBlackHairBlueEyes.JPG

My cousin came over later that day for Christmas dinner, sportin' the Red painted hair Action Sailor, and taht was the beginning of my obsession with G.I.Joe.

After surviving my prepubescent years and High School, forgetting about good ol' G.I.Joe throughout, and getting ready for adulthood, sometime around '82 early '83, I became aware of a NEW action figure claiming the name of G.I.Joe, and while at a Gray Drug five and dime store, had to investigate the toy aisle, and made a half sheepish purchase of this ol' guy:

2rocknroll.jpg

then another, and another and another and...

well, you get the picture. ^_^

My first Joe was straight-arm Rock n' Roll from the TRU in Brooklyn back in the early 80s. I still got him too. I love that figure. After that, I used to be able to take my $10 allowance and get 3 joes at a time.

Mine was Short Fuze. I was 9 years old and my sister took me out to Target that had just opened and they had just gotten them in. I'm not sure what drew me to Short Fuze but he was the one I got. I got the Flak shortly thereafter along with a few more figures. By christmas I had the whole line including the Missile Command Base which gave me my first multiple figures as it came with the Cobra Soldier and Officer. I collected hard core until 1991, 90% of which I still have. I can't wait to get the 25th Ann Line. There is nothing like going down the toy aisle and seeing new joes.

-Jason

Cobra Mortal!!!

For those in the know, he was a chromed repaint of Snakes Eyes V1 exclusive to Argentina (I hail from from Buenos Aires).

I remember HATING the rest (all the good guys). Even as a kid, I thought it was cheap that they all looked almost the same. I only liked Cobra Mortal and Cobra Invasor (exactly the same as Snake Eyes V1, except he had a silver Cobra emblem on his chest). Well, I guess I also sort of liked the Cobra trooper and officer. Until they started to release new stuff like Blowtorch, Torch (I guess they had some fetish about flame-throwing dudes), Destro (loved him but couldn't get over the fact he had such an oversized head), Eels (another favorite), Sgt. Slaughter (yep! - he was sold on card down here), "Satan" (red Storm Shadow), "Ninja-Ku" (black Storm Shadow), etc, etc.

Had I known that Cobra Mortal, Cobra Invasor and Glenda (among others I owned) would end up being sought-after items in the future... well, I would have kept some carded!

BTW - that goes to show you that even as kids some of us had LOTS of issues with the Joe figs. But I still loved them, mostly because I watched the toon, I guess.

I was an evil kid who liked black action figures like Darth Vader and Baron Karza from Micronauts. Naturally, my first Joe was Version 1 Snake Eyes, and I think mine was made out of adamantium. I think I played with that figure more than I've ever played with anything else, yet while I had countless Joes with broken thumbs and crotches that Snake Eyes figure stayed in perfect condition and lived through being sucked into the vaccum, dropped off the roof, buried and temporarily lost in the snow for an entire winter, and kidnapped by the dog, though somehow Snake Eyes never suffered any broken parts, rusty screws, or paint wear (He wasn't painted after all). He wound up dying of a broken heart when I replaced him with Snake Eyes Version 2. I wonder where that figure went? He's probably still in perfect condition somewhere.

my first were a complete Sonic Zap (v2) and an incomplete Eel (v2) both from a thrift store down the street from where i live in 95. I was only 8 at the time but still had hardly any idea what GI Joe was but man am I hooked now.

1982, I was 7 and I was with my Aunt and Uncle in a little town in upstate New York, we went to the local department store and I bought the straight arm Rock n Roll for like $1.95 or something. I loved that figure and I still have the 1982 Straight Arm today.

My first Joe was the 1983 Torpedo i think it was 1983 i'll check up with TM he gave it to me for, well he just brought me and my bro a joe my bro got a blue alleyviper....i think

-Jogen