Anyone else losing interest in G.I. Joe?

Darren

Guest DavAnthony

It's hard to say for me. I've just been focusing on GiJoe customs, which is kind of what I was doing when new product was being released but since I personally don't like Sigma Six in a lot of ways "official" GiJoe product is dead for me.

Hasbro has been mentioning the big thing for the anniversary but I really don't buy or believe anything they say anymore. This is coming from a guy who used to support most of what they did (except for when the had the DC license).

I've switched over to DCSH figures which are just really awesome. I also loved the Transformer Classics. This was something Hasbro did get right and they did a great job at it too!

I had started picking up ML's more and more frequently over the last few years but seeing that Hasbro seems to be cutting articulation, detail and quality I'll be only picking up 1 or 2 figures a year from them. Unless they turn their attitude and effort around.

So I guess I could say that my interest is on... "hiatus" ;)

I'm pretty sure that I'll be collecting for awhile but its gonna be strict 3 3/4th inch Joes

I've gone through my serious SW collecting phase and I sold most if not all my figs and I was never into collecting TF(I will see the movie though). I can't wait for the new stiuff next year and I know I won't be giving up Joe anytime soon.

well as dave said im on joe customs thats keeping me alive for now. i dont like S6 either so joe is dead till next yrs figs. i hope if they do kill off the 3 3/4in line agin they go out with a blast. i only collect 3 3/4in joes so after they kill the line agin ebay for parts lol.

For me, I have not lost interest in Joe, just slowed down. There is not much out there right now in the stores. I on the other hand am looking forward to the other GIJCC exclusives that they have been working on. I also look forward to next years con and the anniversary figures. If anything I have been spending my money on other things, such as a new laptop, so it has just slowed down (for now).

G.I.Joe is the only thing I've ever taken an interest in collecting (save for CORPS, Chap Mei and other such 3 3/4" scaled lines...to "accessorize" the Joes with) so when THAT line (particular scale) goes on "hiatus" or gets put on a back burner in order to pursue other avenues (by their makers)...my interest goes on "hiatus" and to the "back burner" along with it. @grumpy@

Personal matters have slowed down my activity on the boards here, as I'd likely still be fairly active on here, causing trouble and such @smilepunch@ critiquing the stuff that's put MY favorite forms of G.I.Joe to the wayside. ;)

I'm not an action figure/toy collector per se...

just a G.I.Joe collector, and that's restricted to 12" and mostly 3 3/4" scaled versions of them, which gives me slim pickens right now.

I went through this whole phase back in the summer where I decided I'd just do Star Wars statues and mini-busts, with the occaisional 12-inch Sideshow figure and/or Code 3 vehicle when I could afford it. I had just decided it'd be alot simpler to just concentrate on one really nice collection. I even ended up selling quite a bit of stuff, although I've still got the bulk of it. I have since flirted with Transformers and G.I. Joe again...well, mainly Transformers. I got to attend Botcon '06 and that revived my interest in Transformers naturally. And that's on top of the re-release of the Transformers movie. But now I'm kinda back in that wishy-washy stage, where I'm considering selling everything but a few nice Star Wars items again.

I say all of this, but G.I. Joe is always in the back of my mind, and I breeze by here every now and then to see if DTC Wave 4 has come out yet. And I don't know how many times I've picked up a Sigma 6 toy and put it back. I've considered myself a passive Sigma 6 collector, but I've not bought anything since the buy-two-get-one-free sell back last spring at TRU. (That kina shocks me to realize that!)

My curiosity is really piqued over just exactly what Hasbro's got planned for the 25th Anniversary of Joe. That's about the only thing going for G.I. Joe with me right now. I love Sigma 6, but like I said I've not been really serious when collecting it. And I can't afford the mint/carded vintage Joes that I want.

I really got into Sigma Six over the summer.

SO I am happily collecting that and enjoying it.

The 3 3/4'' stuff is still my favorite and I occasionaly get a deal in ebay for ARAH.

But since nothing is really in retail, the viper pack was cool but Im done with it, and the Steel Brigade was great, but Im more of a ARAH guy. So its all about completing my '83-'88 collection for now in ebay.

My interest is kind of renewed right now by lack of product. It has brought me back to my childhood and I have begun to collect Real American Hero. I had a ton as a kid, but my teen years made that load of stuff fall victime to auctions(the non ebay kind)

i am basically going to collect from the years that I loved as a kid. 83-87 were huge for me and 87 and 88 had a few more pick ups. Hopefully I will find some Viper Pits for a quick army.

This last couple weeks alone I have gotten Hovercraft, Water Moccasin, Ferret, and about 10 guys to start of my collection.

These kinds of threads are annoying.

Sigma 6 IS G.I. Joe now. Deal with it.

I'm not into Sigma Sh*t, but I have loved for the 3/4 line for my whole life. That what got me into G.I. Joe at first, and I am still a fan of the 3/4 figures from Real America Hero to the new 3/4 inch to DTC. That why I don't buy those SS crappy figures.

GI Joe (ARAH) will *always* be special to me. However, ever since Hasbro started cranking out the new format figures and got rid of the classic construction, my interest has steadily declined. In fact, I no longer own any GI Joes. I've sold everything over the past couple of years and redirected that money into other collecting interests.

Superheroes (another long-time passion of mine) are center stage for me. The 13" Deluxe line from DC Direct, busts, and statues (from DC & Marvel) are what I buy now. I considered getting back into Marvel Legends, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I do enjoy the Marvel Legends ICONS line though and buy all of those. Oh yeah, I also buy the DC Superheroes line from Mattel.

I also pick up a lot of Sideshow 1:6 figures, mostly of the horror variety. With the exception of the aforementioned ML ICONS and DCSH lines, most of my collection is "higher end" now. I prefer better quality over quantity anyday. Funny.....you never would've heard me say that back in my GI Joe ARAH army-building days! @lol@

Yo Joe!

Jase

GI Joe (ARAH) will *always* be special to me. However, ever since Hasbro started cranking out the new format figures and got rid of the classic construction, my interest has steadily declined. In fact, I no longer own any GI Joes. I've sold everything over the past couple of years and redirected that money into other collecting interests.

Superheroes (another long-time passion of mine) are center stage for me. The 13" Deluxe line from DC Direct, busts, and statues (from DC & Marvel) are what I buy now. I considered getting back into Marvel Legends, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I do enjoy the Marvel Legends ICONS line though and buy all of those. Oh yeah, I also buy the DC Superheroes line from Mattel.

I also pick up a lot of Sideshow 1:6 figures, mostly of the horror variety. With the exception of the aforementioned ML ICONS and DCSH lines, most of my collection is "higher end" now. I prefer better quality over quantity anyday. Funny.....you never would've heard me say that back in my GI Joe ARAH army-building days! @lol@

Yo Joe!

Jase

Interesting. So the articulation of G.I. Joes wasn't important? I could never really get into the statue "toys" of other lines. I mean they are touted as action figures, but the Star Wars figures from the 70s have more articulation!

Im taking a break on Gijoe. Im focusing on Transformers for now. But im sure after a while ill be sick of transfomer mania next year and then Ill be back into my armies.

Guest McBragg

Yeah, losing interest.

$7 at TRU for mostly recycled DTc figures, and wave 4 in limbo.

$25 Viper Pit troop builder set that requires customizing just to use without breaking.

pricey Master Collector exclusives.

What's to love?

Steel Brigade and Plague? Ever think Plague will get more members? Seriously? And one of my helmeted plague dudes already has a stress mark on his torso from the head sculpt not fitting right. Hardly encouraging.

I'd rather buy more super articulated star wars Sandtroopers.

Ive taken a break, and that is why you guys don't see me on here much. Im up to my eye balls in credit card debt (thankfully, I still live at home until next year). The only things I see myself getting during the haitus are the MC MOTH sets, and maybe one or two more Viper Pits.

Im also taking time to sift through my collection, find figures ZI don't like or deciding which version of the characters is a definitive version. I need to scale down a bit. If 3-3/4 comes back, I'll be more active, so Im just taking advantage of the break Im getting. If it never returns, I have a quest for a Terrordrome, the two HQs, and increasing my army.

Yo Joe!

Jase

Interesting. So the articulation of G.I. Joes wasn't important? I could never really get into the statue "toys" of other lines. I mean they are touted as action figures, but the Star Wars figures from the 70s have more articulation!

I don't recall saying that the articulation of GI Joes wasn't important. @hmmm@ I don't play with my toys so the "statue toys" don't bother me. To each his own.

Yo Joe!

Jase

I don't recall saying that the articulation of GI Joes wasn't important. @hmmm@ I don't play with my toys so the "statue toys" don't bother me. To each his own.

Ah my bad.