1st time I've ever seen this

Ren

I really thought I saw one at a retail shop. It was so long ago, I can't be sure... but something that ugly has a way of haunting you. I never knew the figure was rare until somewhat recently. I actually saw one in person that I'm certain of... I saw it pulled from a case.

I wont knock anyone that genuinely wants a PDD, but I have heard a number of collectors say how terrible the figure is and yet they still would like to have one. I would not take one if it was free.... well, if I could use it for custom fodder I may. If anyone really thought the figure was worth having, there are plenty of customizers who could make an almost identical copy for $20-30.

I coulda sworn Hasbro themselves said the PDD was never put into production?

Tom

They did. One was made as a test shot, but somehow miraculously every year a half dozen show up on Ebay. It's hard to prove they're fakes because the test shots for that series were hand-painted versions of original figures (which is how a V.2 Snake Eyes and a V.1 Cobra Commander were shown).

Since absolutely NONE of the other rarities (like the painted V.2 SE or V.1 CC) have ever showed up despite being in the same lot, I find it reasonable to believe that 100% of the pimp-daddy Destro's are faked repaint 1992 Destros.

i have spoken to the hasbro designer of that time and he confirmed that they are in fact real

a joke to be sure but they did see production time before being changed mid run to the pink launcher and then later black launcher variants

pdd is real if you know what you are looking for

and a number did get packaged and shipped to stores

i have spoken to the hasbro designer of that time and he confirmed that they are in fact real

a joke to be sure but they did see production time before being changed mid run to the pink launcher and then later black launcher variants

pdd is real if you know what you are looking for

and a number did get packaged and shipped to stores

Sorry, but I find that Hasbro rep's word hard to believe, especially since it did take years for all of these to show up and there were none found right after their release. For a few years, some doubt they even existed since they were nowhere to be found. Now over the past couple of years, they suddenly show up and with recurring frequency?

so youll take one hasbro reps word over another?

lol ok

these are real. the ones you see on ebay are the same ones resold..there are only a handful known to exist.

the snake eyes and cobra commander you referenced were never sent to production since those molds were mia at the time..as was the destro ver 1 mold..which is why we got the ver 3 mold.

also there is a distinct difference in the pdd moc sets compared to other sets of the cobra command 3 pack.

skepticism is natural but trust me guys there are real pdd's out there and this is one of them

also the seller is an extremely well respected member of the joe community and knows more about pdd than 98.9% of the joe community

hrmm...its hard to speculate as I really dont have enough information on this figure. How could anyone in their right minds pay 1000-2000 for this figure when so little is known about it. I doubt that it is a custom figure, however i think the card was probably resealed. I would be worried that the market would be flooded at some point by these figures and my investment would crash, seeing how no one knows how many of these things are out there. One collector could have 3000 of them and slowly be leaking them out into the market so people just think that the same ones are being bought and sold.

-saboteur

The figure did see an initial, but very limited run. The design for PDD was changed just before full production began, but there are up to as many as 100 carded samples and well over 300 actual figures in existance.

The figure was far more then a casual joke, but was actually an approved design by Hasbro. It was not until production began that the director of Boys Toys and G.I.Joe brand manager in Rhode Island had the paint scheme changed. Remeber that in 1997 G.I.Joe was based in Ohio at the Kenner division, while the people who designed and over-saw 3-3/4" were based in RI.

Pimp Daddy Desto is a legitimate figure, with a great wealth of informaiton and fully authorized documentation to substantiate its existance. There are very noticable things that a skilled eye can identify to spot a difference between an actual PDD and a fake.

First and foremost, the paint masks for the figure are destroyed. The spots on the collar and legs cannot be reproduced with accuracy. There are many more difference, such as different elbow tools that can spot a difference between a repainted 97 mainstream Destro and a legitimate PDD.

The figure available via eBay is completely legit.

More documentation and a thorough outline of the figure is scheduled to appear on YoJoe! on Monday, 10/9.

But this is truly one of the rarest, full production level G.I.Joe figures in existance.

This figure is for real and believe me there are a few members in the community who can tell you where every one of the ones that have surfaced are. The seller of this PDD is not "one" of the most knowledgeable PDD collectors, he is THE most knowledgeable Destro collector in the hobby. Peter has chosen Destro as a collecting focus and he has an extensive Destro collection of Destro figures and items from all over the world. Also, he has talked with some of the Hasbro team during the time of the PDD production and has gotten the inside scoop on exactly why these figures exist. If you read the auction description you will notice he is working on a website that focuses specifically on the PDD and the production history and having already seen the information he will be putting on the website believe me whan I say Peter's website will finally fill the community in on what is an often misunderstood rare variant figure.

Dan

They did. One was made as a test shot, but somehow miraculously every year a half dozen show up on Ebay. It's hard to prove they're fakes because the test shots for that series were hand-painted versions of original figures (which is how a V.2 Snake Eyes and a V.1 Cobra Commander were shown).

Actually, it's easier to prove a PDD is a fake than you might think. But, this figure and many more like it are fully legit. This is a figure that's been know about for years and has been documented in the collecting community since at least 2001. Oh, and that Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander, those were handpainted vintage figures: not production models. So they have no bearing on the PDD.

Since absolutely NONE of the other rarities (like the painted V.2 SE or V.1 CC) have ever showed up despite being in the same lot, I find it reasonable to believe that 100% of the pimp-daddy Destro's are faked repaint 1992 Destros.

That's just asinine. PDD's are real and this one is counted among them. There were no other production differences on figures in '97 except for the black Rock and Roll (which did make it to retail and is probably the rarest released figure in the entire history of the line) and the differently colored Breaker. They just caught the PDD earlier as Redclaw said above.

Anyone who doubts this figure is just wrong. They are not easy to find, but can be had with the right perseverence and financial motivations. It's a great piece of Joe history and one that many collectors who have their heads out of the sand will spend large amounts to acquire.

Hard to believe? That's entirely up to you [John Q. Collector], but I find it not surprising that so many collectors fail to learn or care about PDD. They're too busy looking for more cheap play things to add to their toy bin rather then collect genuinely rare or collectible items.

The people who have posted on this today, verifying PDD's carded existance, are some of the most knowledable in G.I.Joe collecting and their reputations speak volumes about their knowledge. Mike T., Dan, Curtis along with Peter know more about PDD then any fanboy or casual collector ever could - because they cared enough to make the contacts and learn the truth.

If that isn't enough, then people do not believe it because they choose to villify it instead, for their own motives.

I agree with the others, I find it hard to believe since I've never heard of any packaged PDDs either...

Just because you have never seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For instance, have you ever seen the ashcan for Marvel's G.I. Joe #3 that was supposed to be the first appearance of the Oktober Guard? In that story they were going to be called Pravda Patrol but the story was changed and the team (and characters) was renamed to Oktober Guard and actually appeared in issue #6. Here is a link:

http://backinthedaytoys.com/webcampoktoberguard.htm

Trust me, things exist that you have probably never seen or heard about.

Dan

It is real. I have researched and authenticated several PDDs at this point, including the earliest PUBLICALLY known carded sample, and everything fits with what the seller has stated and been able to authenicate himself. The story about the origin of the figure is also true, I have had the same story almost word for word from three separate sources now (from the mouths of two separate Hasbro emplyees), in addition to what i was able to piece together from overseas contacts. Also, the seller is, as stated, a well known and stand up member of the higher end collecting community. He did his homework and has chosen to share his knowledge with the community, as opposed to spreading baseless opinions like they are scripture.

Hard to believe? That's entirely up to you [John Q. Collector], but I find it not surprising that so many collectors fail to learn or care about PDD. They're too busy looking for more cheap play things to add to their toy bin rather then collect genuinely rare or collectible items.

Wow. I guess it all depends on WHY you collect. I've been in it since almost the beginning & I have bought only what I liked for my own enjoyment. I'm sorry, but toys are not a serious investment. If anybody has the money to buy a PDD for their own pleasure with their own expendable income and be happy then so be it. If someone has spent more than their means to acquire a piece they don't actually find appealing so they can horde it away into a safety deposit box hoping that someday they can sell it for markedly more than they paid... well, it's no crime but it would be a shame if it hurt them by depriving them of money that they may have otherwise needed very much when the "rarity" they purchased only sells for 25% more than what they paid after three years waiting.

The people who have posted on this today, verifying PDD's carded existance, are some of the most knowledable in G.I.Joe collecting and their reputations speak volumes about their knowledge.

Agreed.

I agree with the others, I find it hard to believe since I've never heard of any packaged PDDs either...

Just because you have never seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For instance, have you ever seen the ashcan for Marvel's G.I. Joe #3 that was supposed to be the first appearance of the Oktober Guard? In that story they were going to be called Pravda Patrol but the story was changed and the team (and characters) was renamed to Oktober Guard and actually appeared in issue #6. Here is a link:

http://backinthedaytoys.com/webcampoktoberguard.htm

Trust me, things exist that you have probably never seen or heard about.

Dan

Gee, thanks for that, you've opened up the whole world to me. :rolleyes:

Well, whatever, it's interesting that it exists. It's certainly not something I'm going to get worked up about.

If this guy thought it was a good investment, why wouldnt he be keeping this pdd for himself to sell in the future. He didnt even wait to sell it after his website got up, and people had further proof that they were real. Either---he has a BUNCH of moc pdds....which would flood the market and drop their price...or he knows and is hiding something about this figure that no one else knows. As more and more of these very secretive pieces come out of the woodwork, their price will only drop....NOT a good investment.

-saboteur

Oh, and one more thing...why isnt this AFA graded. If you had something like this you would be stupid not to send it to afa, because even if it got a low grade, the authenticity would at least be verified. And that verification could bump this guys auction up by as much as a1000 dollars.

-saboteur

Oh, and one more thing...why isnt this AFA graded. If you had something like this you would be stupid not to send it to afa, because even if it got a low grade, the authenticity would at least be verified. And that verification could bump this guys auction up by as much as a1000 dollars.

-saboteur

That's a good point - AFA does have its uses!

Well, ignorance is bliss, I guess. Have fun not taking the hobby seriously and believing anything someone tells you just because you haven't made an effort to find anything out on your own.

By the way, did you know there is actually a MOC Destro called the "Pink Passion Destro (PPD)?" He is wearing pink leotards and actually comes with a pink flower...

Dan

Well, ignorance is bliss, I guess. Have fun not taking the hobby seriously and believing anything someone tells you just because you haven't made an effort to find anything out on your own.

By the way, did you know there is actually a MOC Destro called the "Pink Passion Destro (PPD)?" He is wearing pink leotards and actually comes with a pink flower...

Dan

Dude, give it up. I don't need any "life lessons" from you simply because I had previously been led to believe that this hadn't been released at retail.

And taking the hobby seriously? Hehe, no, I guess I don't take collecting plastic soldiers that seriously - I do it for fun. I have enough to take seriously in real life.

Again... :rolleyes:

I do it for fun too BUT I also take it seriously. Anyway, I guess we each have our different collecting philosophies and let's leave it at that. The only reason I came out of lurking mode was because I knew misinformation about the PDD was being sowed in this thread and it's up to the collectors who actually know about the figure to get the facts out there. Believe me, I'm through trying to get the truth out there so I won't post about it again.

Dan