Displaying a Rattler in Flight

DPrime

I'm thinking about making some sort of stand for my new Rattler (Japanese version, still sealed until I opened it, so it's in sweet condition) to be able to display it in flight. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for ideas...

I was thinking making it out of some wood, but having access to the tools I would need might be problematic right now. I could maybe design something and do it over Christmas leave at my parents' place, but has anyone done anything a bit easier? Pics would help too...

I got some cool jewlery stands for a Clone gunship, works out pretty well, it only lifts it about 5 inches off the ground though... I wasn't sure how high you were talking...

I got one like this and another one but it's rounded:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-CLEAR-ACRYLIC-FL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one like the rounded one I have.. only without the second tier on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ACRYLIC-CLEAR-2-TI...oQQcmdZViewItem

There's also some like this, that are a bit taller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-CLEAR-ACRYLIC-JEWEL...oQQcmdZViewItem

I like that third auction JoeRhino showed.

But I was thinking this would work for you too.

I even took some pics for ya.

dsc00244ad3.jpg

dsc00245is9.jpg

dsc00246xm6.th.jpg

Its a Unicron stand and it cost around $15.

I bought it a while ago, but you should still be able to find it.

I got it from Bigbadtoystore.

And I think Unicron.com makes it.

It worked too.

Unicron weighs way more than a rattler so its stable.

Perhaps a couple of marvel legends stands would work though you would have to screw them into the shelf I would think just for safety...

You may wana look into macross type stands as well, they have a lot of different ones for there jets...

Thanks for the pics, MaxPower. That's sort of what I had in mind, but the Unicron themed base throws me off a little bit.

If possible, I'd like to display it nose down a little bit, like it's mowing down some tanks. Know what I mean?

I don't think ML stands would work, it you're talking about what I think you're talking about. I'll look into the Macross stuff though. Do you have any links?

DPrime, what I meant by rounded, was if you look at the pics of the first two auctions... the flat part that the rattler would stand on, the first one it flat, like a long rectangle... while the second one(it's hard to see in the picture), the part that the rattler would sit on is rounded, like tube, or a big pen... does that make sense?

I'll take a pic of my gunship on it for ya later.

-Joe

Well, I did a quick Ebay search, and came up with this:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmirrormaskmanQQhtZ-1

I'll post pics with my thoughts on 'em when they arrive. I should get my repro labels for the Rattler by then too (I'm keeping the original decal sheet intact!) so hopefully it'll be exactly what I'm looking for. I like the angled look to it...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of my new Rattler with the stand I bought:

Rattler2.jpg

Rattler1.jpg

Not bad eh? I think I'll get more. I find them quite elegant, and they're pretty sturdy too. The top part where the plane rests has four little rubber things on it that make it stick to the stand pretty securely, but of course you can take it off whenever you like.

These things are designed for 1:18 planes by BBI and other companies like that, apparently. When I tried it with my Dragonfly, it was perfect also, but the Skyhawk didn't want to sit on it very well. This is probably because of it's rather uneven bottom surfaces, but anything that looks remotely like a real-life plane or helicopter should fit on it nicely. I'll probably get a few more, once my vehicle collection gets a bit bigger that is!

looks great! i may have to look into a couple of those!

The link is posted just above the one with the pics - I definitely recommend them! I can't wait to get a few other planes to display along with the Rattler on these things.

Nice Shots DPRIME.

I like that stand.

It looks cool.

I like that you could have your plane/model pointing downwards in 'attack mode', cool!!

Can you show off some shots with the Dragonfly?

I never thought of displaying the Dragonfly in mid air before but I'm curious to see how it looks like.

Those stands are pretty pricy though.... hmmm.

Can you show off some shots with the Dragonfly?

I never thought of displaying the Dragonfly in mid air before but I'm curious to see how it looks like.

Those stands are pretty pricy though.... hmmm.

Sure thing...

Dragonfly1.jpg

Dragonfly2.jpg

Hey D, I like the stands - very cool!

Whoa cool!

Thanks DPrime for the pics of the Dragonfly!

Those stands, or any stands really, are starting to grow on me.

I might have to order a few for the flight crews around here.

Whoa cool!

Thanks DPrime for the pics of the Dragonfly!

Those stands, or any stands really, are starting to grow on me.

I might have to order a few for the flight crews around here.

No prob - I think they're definitely worth it. I'll pick up a few more as well.