its official we lost our con weekend

xhairs

They wanted to get the Transformers con right before the movie comes out. Not a whole lot of people care about the 25 anniversary of G.I.JOE. I know we all do, but next year as far as hasbro is concernd, is the year of Transformers. And honestly, that movie is going to make them a ton of money. Hopefully it does well, and the G.I.JOE movie will actually start production. I know thats what they are waiting for. And wasnt there a rumor that the cons would be combined next year? I seam to remember reading something about that.

Arent there enough fans to support BOTH conventions on one weekend? I know some of us are both GI Joe/Transformers fans and I know some of us are just GI Joe or TF fans

Yep its been pretty well known that they would be combined at some point.

Draven

I wouldn't mind. Actually I'd probably be even more likely to go - you know, kill two birds with one stone. I'm not a huge TF fan but I wouldn't mind picking up one or two G1s in mint condition, like the stuff they probably won't reissue. I'm sure I'd buy way more Joe stuff, of course.

It'd make sense - both Hasbro, '80s contemporaries, with a history of crossovers.

Arent there enough fans to support BOTH conventions on one weekend? I know some of us are both GI Joe/Transformers fans and I know some of us are just GI Joe or TF fans

More like are there enough with the kind of money both cons require. That shrinks the numbers down even more.

More like are there enough with the kind of money both cons require. That shrinks the numbers down even more.

Exactly. Alot of us plan our vacations around the cons so we can go. It was tough enough for me to go to the Joe Con in Disney and that was in my backyard.

If the conventions were being combined, it would have been mentioned. It wasn't, they're not. Plus I don't think MC is anywhere near organized enough to combine the 2 convetions in one big one and pull it off in one weekend.

And nothing else has been said of the '07 Joecon, so it's all a guess now just how little we're gonna know anytime soon and just how little effort might be put into it.

Yeah, we're getting the shaft next year no matter what. :(

Considering that the BotCon is geared specifically to promote the movie (opening the weekend after) next year, I think the gracious and courteous thing to do is support the TF fans in that.

I read the report I dont see any dates posted for next year, just the location.

Even if they open the movie on the 4th of July I dont think they would have the con on the same weekend.

To max the profits of botcon MC would have the con later that year, that way they can have actors from the movie there.

If they postpone JoeCon'07 there is a chance someone might sneak in and have a convention of their own.

To max the profits of botcon MC would have the con later that year, that way they can have actors from the movie there.

If they postpone JoeCon'07 there is a chance someone might sneak in and have a convention of their own.

Actually, the current schedule will maximize profits FAR more than later in the year. In the summer, you have LOTS of kids and casual fans able to attend, and hype for Transformers will be at its peak. They might still even snag a couple actors since most will be out promoting the film

And remember, even if there is another con, it will NOT be Hasbro sanctioned. Which means no exclusives, no team members being there, and more than likely will not have the same financial resources to put on a show the scale of MC.

I was at BotCon when they announced this and turned to a friend and said that MasterCollector had clearly chosen to make Transformers their priority now. You can understand why since the Transformer brand is currently much more profitable and from what I understand the Transformer convention pulled in many more people this year than the G.I.Joe one did.

The yare doing it before the movie, so that Hasbro and the movie reps will be able to avoid the fan backlash, to how bad the movie will be. )Im not one to say something is bad before I se it (I liked Daredevil the movie) but the designs of the Transformers in the movie ar horrible to me, and I think the script will be awful as well)

I was at BotCon when they announced this and turned to a friend and said that MasterCollector had clearly chosen to make Transformers their priority now. You can understand why since the Transformer brand is currently much more profitable and from what I understand the Transformer convention pulled in many more people this year than the G.I.Joe one did.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as we get some Joe stuff as well!

More and more I'm liking the idea of combining them...

I don't think this necessarily means FP is choosing TFs as a priority of GI Joe, I think it's just the realization that this is the right time for the 2007 TF convention. I actually suspect the decision has more to do with Hasbro wanting it then and there than with any FP-internal decision.

Really I'd bet FP and even the Hasbro GI Joe people couldn't say anything about this decision, with a major motion picture to promote/capitalize on I'd guess the decision was from Hasbro higher-ups and everyone else had to make it work.

I doubt the conventions would ever be combined. It'd be a logistical problem, but more so it would be like FP reducing their "product line". Why have just 1 convention when you can run 2?

It also seems to be the case that it's not any fan-issue that causes the Joe con and Botcon to be ~3 months apart, but just FP needing that much time to close one set of books and have the next convention running smoothly.

The way I see it, MC doesn't have the staff to run a combined Con. The TF-Convention would probably maximize on the movie's release by happening about three weeks after the movie's release, if Hasbro could force the movie companies to plug Botcon before the movie starts.

And if next years JoeCon is AFTER June, that'd be perfect for me. As it stands now I have to request three weeks in a row off in June because of some friends graduating college, and others visiting from Sweden, and then the Joe Con.

-Kevin

Don't you think that's taking it a tad bit far, Xhairs? I'm just as upset as you are, but you have to remember that Hasbro is coming out with a movie and new product line the week after they've planned this Transformers convention. If we were awaiting a brand new high-end film and a totally new toyline, I'm sure we'd want our convention right before it just to get us pumped up, if nothing else.

Like I said, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't claim that Svafe and Fun Publications did this to insult or spite us.

Tom