IRON MAN Movie

Archer1120

My friend just sent me a link from Aintitcool.com that announces that in the upcoming IRON MAN movie Tony Stark will be played by Robert Downey Jr. Check the link for the full story!

Aint It Cool News

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm all for it, I've always liked him as an actor, and I think he better than most could pull of the rock bottom aspect of Tony's life when they decide to show it. I am really looking forward to this movie!

Arch

Great, once again "Hollywood" is going to screw up what could be a killer movie franchise. Robert Downey Jr.?! Seriously? As Tony Stark? That does not compute. Has Paramount read any IM comics? Geez man, screw this bullpoop. Paramount would have been better off getting a no name actor to play the part. Robert Downey Jr. is a hack.

Great, once again "Hollywood" is going to screw up what could be a killer movie franchise. Robert Downey Jr.?! Seriously? As Tony Stark? That does not compute. Has Paramount read any IM comics? Geez man, screw this bullpoop. Paramount would have been better off getting a no name actor to play the part. Robert Downey Jr. is a hack.

I'm not saying that you have to like the casting choice, but calling an Academy Award nominee a "hack" doesn't make much sense. Personally, I think he'll do a great job and I can't wait for this film.

Wow, interesting...I guess picking Robert Downey Jr. to play Ton Stark isn't that big of a stretch. I have no problem with him in the role, but he certainly needs to grow a moustache for this role ;) This is interesting news though...because he's never hit me as the type of actor who'd want a leading role in a summer blockbuster super-hero movie.

Interesting... I'm not entirely thrilled with this casting, but I've been surprised before. For example, Alfred Molina would have been my LAST choice to play Doc Ock, but the man was superb at it.

I think he'll need to work out a bit- while Tony Stark isn't an Olympian, Downey will need more tone to believably fit into the Iron Man suit.

He is a good actor. I've seen him do determination, superiority, and well-timed humor very well, and Tony Stark has all of those in spades. If the script and direction are good, this may in fact be the perfect casting choice.

At first blush I'm thinking, RDJ as an action-hero? Bah! But, for what percentage of the film will he be suited-up? Won't it be CGI or a stunt double in the suit for the action shots anyway? The big question will be if he can be a convincing Tony. I think he can. I wouldn't have picked him but, I think RDJ can pull of a Stark. Arrogant? Check. Rich playboy? Check. Brooding and addictive personality? Check. Serious and dramatic? Check. Dry and sharp wit? Check. I'm with others in saying that I hope the script gives him a chance to do the character justice.

I'm alright with this choice, I just hope we see him sportin the armor more than we do of him outside of it. I'm paying $$ to see Ironman in his armor more than I am seeing him out of it! Also, how many of us raised an eyebrow & cringed back in 89' when Micheal " Beetlejuice" Keaton was picked to play Bats, and he turned out great for the part.

That wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'll have to take the wait and see approach..

I just thought Robert Downey jr. was a small guy....

:OT:

ANyway I was watching that pile of horse sh*t the Fantastic 4 movie the other day I just pray to the good Lord above its better then that....

I have waited a long time to see a good Thing and I tell you that killed it for me....IMO....

Wow thats a pretty cool cast that I never thought of. I could see it...

Excellent choice, if true.

Downey looks the part. He oozes Tony Stark, the rich, booze-addled, manipulative playboy.

And he can act.

Makes the movie even more interesting. I was looking forward to it already...now, I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

#US1#

At first blush I'm thinking, RDJ as an action-hero? Bah! But, for what percentage of the film will he be suited-up? Won't it be CGI or a stunt double in the suit for the action shots anyway? The big question will be if he can be a convincing Tony. I think he can. I wouldn't have picked him but, I think RDJ can pull of a Stark. Arrogant? Check. Rich playboy? Check. Brooding and addictive personality? Check. Serious and dramatic? Check. Dry and sharp wit? Check. I'm with others in saying that I hope the script gives him a chance to do the character justice.

Just because Tony Stark's character is a "rehabilitated" drunk, doesn't mean they need to fill the role with one....Isn't Tony Stark Hispanic? Also, RDJ as an action hero? I don't buy it for a second. RDJ comes across as pathetic, not slick. A waste of life, not a ladies man. I always looked as Stark as a man fighting his demons, not one that completely gave into them.

ITS TRUE......HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Downey in 'Iron' mask for Marvel

By Borys Kit and Sheigh Crabtree

Robert Downey Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment. Jon Favreau is directing the movie, which will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong.

The movie version, written by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby, will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

The $100 million-plus-budgeted movie will be produced by Feige and Avi Arad. Executive producers are Michael Helfant, Ari Arad, Louis D'Esposito, Peter Billingsley and Favreau.

Marvel is now casting all supporting roles. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey, who was nominated for an Oscar for "Chaplin," next stars in "Fur" opposite Nicole Kidman and David Fincher's "Zodiac" opposite Jake Gyllenhaal. He is repped by CAA.