What will u do with ur collection in the future?

Moshbot

Have you ever pictured yourselves when turn 30,40,50 and so on??

Will you keep collecting or stop at some point?

I will stop when i get the Marvel and DC characters i like, then I´m done ((in 1 year, I guess). But I don´t know what I´m gonna do with my collection, maybe display it in a special room, display part of the collection, don´t know. I can´t imagine with some of the figs around the office :). What r u guys gonna do??

Ya when I get older, I'll have a seperate room for my X-Men stuff. I think one day in the DISTANT future, I might sell it all, but probably not.

I'll most likley have it burried with me lol

Have given up comics and other hobbies for the most part so I think these will stick with me for a while. Would love to do a room with enough shallow shelving to be able to display hundreds of figs only 1 deep. Will look great but will probably have to be custom. The packaged stuff may go away except for the scarce variants and a few favorites

I'm 44--I've been collecting for over 21 years, and I'm not going to stop.

Had a toy room about 3 years ago--900 sq feet of basement glory--all mine. I could display EVERYTHING.

Now I'm in a home with a lot less space and cannot display it all, but............there will be a time again, in the future when I'll have more space.

Had a toy room about 3 years ago--900 sq feet of basement glory--all mine. I could display EVERYTHING.

Now I'm in a home with a lot less space and cannot display it all, but............there will be a time again, in the future when I'll have more space.

Not to be a dick, but you're much older than me so I'm going to ask a little advice, do you ever have days where you feel like what's the point? Like we're all going to just die, so why buy all these toys?

I get like this sometimes, once I went as far as boxing up ALL my pop culture stuff and trying to give it up/stop buying it, but I got severly depressed (because of other reasons) and went back to it, worse than before, almost like an alcoholic. Though it really isn't a bad addiction for me as I know when I have monetary limitations I won't buy toys.

Still, I'm sure as I get older my priorities will change, but I still hope I like toys forever... but I'm sure there will be days that are bleak and I just want to know what you think of for these days that keeps you collecting.

I try to think of it as a live for today kind of deal, but I also hope that there's more to my life than just this somewhat emotionally empty hobby.

A messy post, but I'm trying to put down a lot of thoughts that have been bugging me.

Yeah I'm hoping to get a big place one day with a big room just for myself and my toys and computer. Wife has already told me and agreed that once we get our own nice place, she can decorate the entire house however she wants, as long as I get my own "study" to myself. :D

And leonardo, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 25, though not old, I'm old enough to be married with two kids, and I still buy ML and ML style figures. My wife has found it (while annoying) something I'm always going to do. I don't think I'll lose my inner child, since I'm a giant child myself.

As for it being an empty hobby; if you enjoy it, and it brings you joy, than its really not empty. Silly perhaps, as my wife puts it, but still, some people collect guns, civil war stuff, posters, etc... we just collect toys. :D

Again, a lot of people see it as silly since ya know, they ARE toys, but its really no worse than any other collector. Besides, even my wife agrees its more financially doable than collecting something horribly expensive. :D

I figure that if I ever stop collecting, I'll keep 'em and give them to my kids (If I ever have kids). That way, they will be able to enjoy them as much as I have.

That's probably what I'll do, good answer. Right now my main concern is trying to find a place to store my stuff. In the future though, my concern will then turn to finding a location where I can display most of it. If I move, the big problem will be transporting it all @lol@

Well I'm gonna be 35 soon and haven't slowed down yet. No we don't live forever, but while I'm here I plan to surround myself with as much of what I enjoy as I can. I enjoy collecting figures.

I feel like they keep me from losing that sense of wonder and imagination that I had when I was a kid and I think that's a good thing. I may grow old, but that doesn't mean I have to feel old.

I have no kids, but 2 of my nephews are well on their way to following my footsteps in collecting. Only they don't show the signs of losing interest the way a lot of kids their age do. I think they're more accepting of the idea seeing me still collecting.

So if I never have kids, then I guess it'll go to them when I go.

All of this got me thinking, and I may just reduce my collection, to really essential characters. It´s not the same to have C.America and Dr. Strange. I can get rid of him, easily, but not Cap,or IM or Mr. Fantastic, cause their are core characters.

Stuff I will keep collecting will be DC stuff, specially Batman.

I’ve been collecting for about two years now. I’m 24 I also collect Firearms (customize them as well) and a couple Comics, (Punisher Ms. Marvel, Hulk). I will probably have them displayed in a collector’s room along with the rest of my collecting stuff. I will probably never stop collecting unless I have all the figures I want or the quality goes way down, (scale size ect) I will also maybe to try to pass some down to my future kids. It’s a fun innocent hobby much better than speeding my money on strippers or drugs ( drugs are expensive lol) or gambling ( I always lose in Vegas lol) #US1#

Okay for all you guys worried about the future and your collecting. I'm like arrow, it's just a hobby and yes i am over 40. I collected antiques long before all this since my family was into internationl business. I have several kids of which really don't care about this stuff, but one my son. The antiques and everything are still displayed around the house and the toys are kept in my sons room. So in the long run he will take the toys for sure since he as a guy likes this kind of stuff. I enjoy the hunt and the variants.

Yes this will continue on for a long time. I have been to comic-con several times and the Star Wars Conventions Star wars being my main item I collect. I plan on attending the LA convention next year with the family. Sometimes these thng can become a family event permitting your wife supports you theway my wife has.

I'm 41, married with 3 kids age 11,9,8 & though my wife is not a big fan of my hobby, she tolerates it & knows I ain't giving it up anytime soon. I have been collecting action figures since the the old Mego days & then the 70s Star Wars & 80s GI Joe 4' line & 80s "super powers" & Secret wars" line, had all the figures & vehicles but when I joined the USMC , my dad in all his infinite wisdom decided I was all grown up & didn't need "toys" anymore so he had a a free toy sale & let my whole neighborhood know , so all the kids within a 4 block radius came over & my pops handed them out like cheese at the local church! Needless to say, I was quite POed when I got back home from bootcamp & noticed a lot of kids sitting on the steps playing with some familiar looking action figures! I cringe even more when I see how much all those toys I had in the 70s & 80s cost now! Enough of that, before I put a bloodchoke on dear dad. Anyway, I didn't let that stop me from collectin action figures. Then TB came out in 90' with the 5' line of X-men figures & then the Spiderman, Ironman, FF lines based on all the awesome 90s cartoons & I was hooked once again. I'm happy to say that this time I have all those figures in collectors cases & in perfect condition & I have them for sale on the trader site if anyone is interested. Reason I'm selling them is due to the fact that the awesome ML line is now my #1 hobby to collect along with some, not all of the DCDirect & DCSH lines, so I have no room for the early 90s 5' line. I will continue to collect superhero action figures until either..

1) The lines are cancelled

2) They decide to start from scratch & switch to a smaller/larger scale other than the 6' line.

To me, this hobby is no different from those that collect

Guns

Stamps

comic books (which I do)

coins

beanie babies

dolls & doll houses

antique furniture

Paintings

military memorabilia

etc

Matter of fact, collecting figures is much more inexpensive than the majority of those other hobbies I listed.

Bottom line is, life is short, tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us, so do what makes you happy & brings you joy & screw what anybody else says!

Now where the F%$# is my Gladiator figure Hasbro!!!!!!!!!

i can't and won't sell my collection...and while not TOO extensive i still have stuff money couldn't buy back. too sentimental...too much heart put into it. like most posters i'll probably have a room dedicated to marvel nostalgia and such when i get my own place.

My wife let me have the entire basement of the house we bought last year for my collection and unless something really crappy happened to our finances in the future, I have every intention of always having a designated area in whatever house we're living in for my toys.

I sometimes think about how silly and materialistic it is, but you can't take it with you so may as well enjoy it while you're alive.

most of us are around that age now :P

Personaly I duno what I am going to do... I am saving up for a larger place and have been for a while now ... When I find a decent enough place I plan to spred my collection all through out the house...

no room shall be safe!! :P well maybe the bath room... LOL

Not to be a dick, but you're much older than me so I'm going to ask a little advice, do you ever have days where you feel like what's the point? Like we're all going to just die, so why buy all these toys?

I get like this sometimes, once I went as far as boxing up ALL my pop culture stuff and trying to give it up/stop buying it, but I got severly depressed (because of other reasons) and went back to it, worse than before, almost like an alcoholic. Though it really isn't a bad addiction for me as I know when I have monetary limitations I won't buy toys.

Still, I'm sure as I get older my priorities will change, but I still hope I like toys forever... but I'm sure there will be days that are bleak and I just want to know what you think of for these days that keeps you collecting.

I try to think of it as a live for today kind of deal, but I also hope that there's more to my life than just this somewhat emotionally empty hobby.

A messy post, but I'm trying to put down a lot of thoughts that have been bugging me.

Well, if you are not enjoying it, get out of it.

I've always enjoyed it, and I think I will for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I've never felt it pointless, in fact..........I don't think I've ever questioned it. There's days when I do not like some of the drama in the hobby, some of the people around me in the hobby...........but as for the hobby itself.......nope, its the central focus for me.

I figure its possible to live to about 100 in today's world. That gives me approximately 60-ish something more years to have fun.

Note those last two words: "have fun".

My attitude is not one of "we are all going to just die anyway"--I've heard that before from people younger than myself and it mystifies me. Yes, biologically we ARE all going to die--that's a absolute given. As to where, when or how....................pfft, who gives a #$##? I could die tomorrow, or next Tuesday. I might live to be 112. You might outlive me. You might not.

Big deal.

I'll be dead.........I don't think I'll care much after that happens.

My point is............and always will be..........is that I'm HERE in life, here for a reason, here to have a CHANCE to make a difference in the world....and here to sample from life.

So I buy toys.

If you think you are " going to just die anyway" then why are you aspiring to ANYTHING? Why complete education? Why learn to drive? Why get laid? Why be nice AT ALL to the next person?

Why................is it because others tell you to? That wouldn't be much reason to live, eh?

C'mon!

I'll say this: toys are not just a hobby for me, they are a passion. I've collected even when I wasn't able to collect. I found a way. If I cannot buy new stuff, I look at ways of doing things with what I have already. I'm intrigued by all aspects of toys--to some degree. From design, to manufacturing, to marketing, the plastics they use, distribution............everything, to some degree or another.

Some people might wonder if its healthy to throw that much focus into something so trivial as toys, but I disagree.

It IS healthy to be passionate about SOMETHING, be it a person, place or thing--and it doesn;t matter what that thing is.

Think of it this way: passion is a gift from your Maker to you........and means of helping you pass your time on Earth and keeping you interested in a rewarding way. Without passion, life wouldn't have the spark that makes it really worthwhile.

We have the means to throw ourselves into something without apologies to anyone, soley for the sake of our own pleasure.

And in the midst of that passion, as an outcome, we can take our interests and show the rest of the world the crazy things we do while sequestered away--or not--and inspire them to similar things.

In the end, it about joy. As I go about my life, I take joy in things because that is the charge placed in me by MY Maker. Not only is it my pleasure, my privilege, I see it as also my responsibility......epsecially when someone like you asks me about it. I like to share joy.

And if you've read all this, and get an idea that joy IS out there for you to freely share, then again----remember those two words:

Have fun.

im sure soem figure later on will be so exclusive that it will make me loose my mind and ill just set it all ablaze

I dunno! I never find an answer. But its probably giving it away to another fan!

Yeah I'm hoping to get a big place one day with a big room just for myself and my toys and computer. Wife has already told me and agreed that once we get our own nice place, she can decorate the entire house however she wants, as long as I get my own "study" to myself. :D

And leonardo, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 25, though not old, I'm old enough to be married with two kids, and I still buy ML and ML style figures. My wife has found it (while annoying) something I'm always going to do. I don't think I'll lose my inner child, since I'm a giant child myself.

As for it being an empty hobby; if you enjoy it, and it brings you joy, than its really not empty. Silly perhaps, as my wife puts it, but still, some people collect guns, civil war stuff, posters, etc... we just collect toys. :D

Again, a lot of people see it as silly since ya know, they ARE toys, but its really no worse than any other collector. Besides, even my wife agrees its more financially doable than collecting something horribly expensive. :D

I agree with you completely. I'm 25 and my wife (married just over a month) understands that it's a hobby. I might do it the rest of my life or I might give it up some day. I do it for fun. It's always a blast to go searching for some figure or another, poking through the shelves at some TRU or a Wal-Mart or a Target or where ever. Half the time we go to those stores SHE asks what I'm looking for. I don't think she would ever start getting them for me, but the fact that she is so supportive means she has accepted what I do. Whenever people ride me about it, or tease me I always tell them there are far worse things I could be doing and that it's only a hobby. One day, when I have a house she'll let me have my "batcave" (an architect friend of mine drew up plans) and I'll be happy. Will I ever stop collecting? Maybe one day when they stop making what interests me but until then I'll pick up my Marvel Legends or DC Superheroes, or Transformers or what have you. And whenever I start to wonder why or what am I going to do with it all I remember something I heard on the Wonderful World of Disney, "You're only as old as you feel" and right now I feel like a little kid who's got a kick ass toy collection.

I like the hobby still, but I lately I've been watching the news and keeping updated more than ever before, and I'm just feeling bad that I've had it so good in my life that while others across the globe don't.

I don't think I'll ever stop either, but I think I might cut back and start donating some of my stuff off to toys for tots. I feel bad having fun while others can't.

Also I'm not longer going to be a completist because I don't get any enjoyment for buying total crap.

Well, if you are not enjoying it, get out of it.

I've always enjoyed it, and I think I will for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I've never felt it pointless, in fact..........I don't think I've ever questioned it. There's days when I do not like some of the drama in the hobby, some of the people around me in the hobby...........but as for the hobby itself.......nope, its the central focus for me.

I figure its possible to live to about 100 in today's world. That gives me approximately 60-ish something more years to have fun.

Note those last two words: "have fun".

My attitude is not one of "we are all going to just die anyway"--I've heard that before from people younger than myself and it mystifies me. Yes, biologically we ARE all going to die--that's a absolute given. As to where, when or how....................pfft, who gives a #$##? I could die tomorrow, or next Tuesday. I might live to be 112. You might outlive me. You might not.

Big deal.

I'll be dead.........I don't think I'll care much after that happens.

My point is............and always will be..........is that I'm HERE in life, here for a reason, here to have a CHANCE to make a difference in the world....and here to sample from life.

So I buy toys.

If you think you are " going to just die anyway" then why are you aspiring to ANYTHING? Why complete education? Why learn to drive? Why get laid? Why be nice AT ALL to the next person?

Why................is it because others tell you to? That wouldn't be much reason to live, eh?

C'mon!

I'll say this: toys are not just a hobby for me, they are a passion. I've collected even when I wasn't able to collect. I found a way. If I cannot buy new stuff, I look at ways of doing things with what I have already. I'm intrigued by all aspects of toys--to some degree. From design, to manufacturing, to marketing, the plastics they use, distribution............everything, to some degree or another.

Some people might wonder if its healthy to throw that much focus into something so trivial as toys, but I disagree.

It IS healthy to be passionate about SOMETHING, be it a person, place or thing--and it doesn;t matter what that thing is.

Think of it this way: passion is a gift from your Maker to you........and means of helping you pass your time on Earth and keeping you interested in a rewarding way. Without passion, life wouldn't have the spark that makes it really worthwhile.

We have the means to throw ourselves into something without apologies to anyone, soley for the sake of our own pleasure.

And in the midst of that passion, as an outcome, we can take our interests and show the rest of the world the crazy things we do while sequestered away--or not--and inspire them to similar things.

In the end, it about joy. As I go about my life, I take joy in things because that is the charge placed in me by MY Maker. Not only is it my pleasure, my privilege, I see it as also my responsibility......epsecially when someone like you asks me about it. I like to share joy.

And if you've read all this, and get an idea that joy IS out there for you to freely share, then again----remember those two words:

Have fun.

wow!! one of the best replies EVER!

Why i posted this question? Because I´ve pictured myself at my dad´s age. I thought "What am I gonna do with all these figs, which I love now, but..in the future? What´s going to happen?" I guess I worried a lot about what people would think: wife , kids, friends, etc., but reading this made me re think about what I do, and why I do it, and why I´ll keep doing it for a while. It´s because I have fun, because i can finally see Marvel/DC heros well sculpted and articulated, because i see them as pop culture decorative pieces and because is something that distracts me from the everyday routine. Now I have new plans for my collection in the future ;) .

I like the hobby still, but I lately I've been watching the news and keeping updated more than ever before, and I'm just feeling bad that I've had it so good in my life that while others across the globe don't.

I don't think I'll ever stop either, but I think I might cut back and start donating some of my stuff off to toys for tots. I feel bad having fun while others can't.

I've never felt guilty about collecting. I just don't care about the "other guy" because I'm not living their life. I'm too busy with my own.

If someone else is not having fun, I'll TELL them there's another way to go about doing it, but its up to them--its their hobby, not mine.

And if sharing the fun with others bring you joy, go for it........that's a pretty noble sentiment to have and will probably bring in even greater joy in the long term.

Also I'm not longer going to be a completist because I don't get any enjoyment for buying total crap.

I'm not a completist either, haven't been for years. I like my own tastes to dictate my collection--not the picture on the back of the card.