Found a black X-23...

Magic 8 Ball

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they FINALLY restocked. Sadly, they did it with wave 12. I finally foud a black X-23, which I've never seen before. Thing is, I noticed about half a case was missing... and IIRC, every figure in that wave aside from Maestro had variants. I remember a lot of controversy about X-23, and which (purple or black) was the variant- I think the purple was supposed to be, but it ended up the regular, or something like that.

So the question I'm asking is if I missed out on a variant case, or if I just finally ran across a figure that's been shipping in regular cases?

Many possibilities... You could have missed a variant case, or just happen to get someone else's refund who thought the Purple one was the variant.

I found a case of the apocalypse series today and they had the black version, also all the pieces were black but there were not variants of the others, ( the only one I need is the red iron fist ). I perfer the black version, The head sculpt is better and so is the paint job. Maybe people will argue that the purple is the variant, and while it could be the variant, the black version is far more rare. I have only seen 2 in person as oposed to the 543 purple ones that I have seen in retail and comic cons. Id say they black one is the unofficial variant since it is so rare.

I opened a case back when the wave first came out. It had no variants, but 2 purple X-23s were in it. Others claimed they found black X-23s in the regular case. Now again, this was back when the wave first appeared. I'm trying to figure out if they finally worked it out and ne actually is only in the variant cases, or if things are the same and somehow I've just never run across this one before.

l think they reverted back as in makin the ebony color the common fig. When ml 12 was new, I ran into purple all the time, but no black.

As of late, I have been finding nothing but black x23s.

I believe Jesse him self has stated that black X-23 = normal while purple = variant atleast in the states.

l think they reverted back as in makin the ebony color the common fig. When ml 12 was new, I ran into purple all the time, but no black.

As of late, I have been finding nothing but black x23s.

I believe Jesse him self has stated that black X-23 = normal while purple = variant atleast in the states.

It was, but the thing is that the variants and regular got screwed up so much whereas purple was common a few months after release. I remember it was the purple that was common in Canada. From other tnier's information from the past, I think it went like this:

In the U.S.

Black was common for the first few months

Purple became common months afterwards

With the recent Walmart restock, Black seems to revert to being common

Doom, right on the spot. Although for me it was black the first month, purple afterwards, and now, wal-mart just restocked the apocalypse wave so that it takes up and entire end cap, and there's both purple and black.

So for me it went:

Black

Purple

Both

and I'd say that neither is a "chase" and they're just equal variants.

It was, but the thing is that the variants and regular got screwed up so much whereas purple was common a few months after release.

Yeah, I have a feeling that this is going to be much like the variant Bullseye. Even years down the road, they'll probably be near enough to the same price that no one will care which is the variant; they'll just buy whichever they like best.

Back to X-23... a new head is practically to be expected with variants, but am I the only one surprised to find completely different hair and eye colors as well? Wolvie's passing on one heck of a mutant gene! :)

It was, but the thing is that the variants and regular got screwed up so much whereas purple was common a few months after release.

Yeah, I have a feeling that this is going to be much like the variant Bullseye. Even years down the road, they'll probably be near enough to the same price that no one will care which is the variant; they'll just buy whichever they like best.

Back to X-23... a new head is practically to be expected with variants, but am I the only one surprised to find completely different hair and eye colors as well? Wolvie's passing on one heck of a mutant gene! :)

It is a suprise, especially because the heads are different from other variants, where as the two x23 can be viewed as two different characters despite bein sculpted by the same person. Maybe one of them is a failed clone.

Also, another suprise is that the variant wasn't announced, which we can speculate that maybe this was a last minute decision. A suprise since the variant has a new head unlike white Sasquash, another unannounced variant.

oh yeah, both figures were found in regular cases. It was either purple or black

Just be happy you got the better version and not the pig face purple version.

When they first came out, I seen more purples than blacks. Now that certain stores are getting flooded with ML12's, the cases I have opened had more blacks.

But in this case, I don't think it matters. X-23 was probably the easiest figure/variant or otherwise to get. Especially since no one knew what to get or otherwise got both.

kndy

there is some confusion over which version of X-23 is the variant, and which is normal. Though the back of the packaging shows the black-suited version as the standard figure, many cases had the purple costume packed in heavier numbers. It seems that which version was rare depended on where one shopped. For example, in the United States the Black-suited X-23 was the standard figure and the Purple-suited X-23 figure was the variant. In Canada, it was the exact opposite; the Black-suited X-23 was the variant figure and the Purple-suited X-23 figure was the standard figure

Just be happy you got the better version and not the pig face purple version.

When they first came out, I seen more purples than blacks. Now that certain stores are getting flooded with ML12's, the cases I have opened had more blacks.

But in this case, I don't think it matters. X-23 was probably the easiest figure/variant or otherwise to get. Especially since no one knew what to get or otherwise got both.

kndy

maybe it is a regional thing since you live near me; give or take 3 hours. I do see the same pattern here as well.

I was in TRU the other dsay and they had both versions (first time Ive seen the black one in person). I was gonna pick it up, but then I noticed something. Both versions of X23, Sasquatch, Bishop and Iron Fist came with black parts for the Apocalypse figure. Whats with that? :huh:

see people make the mistake that rarity = variant. from what i heard as ugly as it is the purple is technicly the variant, it's like the whole unmasked icons error, even though they outnumber the masked 3-1 they are still technicly the variants

I know, right.

I really don't understand why some people INSIST on saying a rare figure is a variant. They refuse to learn anything, almost as if their head is literally made of granite.

RARE is NOT a synonym for VARIANT. A variant is the SECOND figure produced, not the one that YOU CAN'T FIND.

Black X-23 is NOT a VARIANT. Black X-23 is a regular figure that is harder to find than the purple X-23.

Just like cat-Beast is STILL the variant, NOT ape-faced Beast. When Toy Biz showed pics of all the regular XMC and no variants in their promo ads, which version was shown? Yeah, it was regular-face, not cat-face. Then they made WAY less of regular-face, and way more of cat-face. THAT DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Cat-face is STILL what they call a variant. THEY call it that.

I mean, by some people's reasoning, the Bullseye showing his teeth is the regular, since in some places those were easier to find than the closed-lipped one.

Toy Biz has STATED flat-out that the purple X-23 is the variant, and it's not anyone else's right to state otherwise. Doing so is just plain stupidity.

Toy Biz has STATED flat-out that the purple X-23 is the variant, and it's not anyone else's right to state otherwise.

My goal was to find out if/when/what Toy Biz had said on the matter. I've never seen anything official on it, just a lot of speculatory statements from people who claim to have heard this or that. Despite all the talk, and now borderline insults, I have yet to see any info that is actually from TB.

Toy Biz has STATED flat-out that the purple X-23 is the variant, and it's not anyone else's right to state otherwise.

My goal was to find out if/when/what Toy Biz had said on the matter. I've never seen anything official on it, just a lot of speculatory statements from people who claim to have heard this or that. Despite all the talk, and now borderline insults, I have yet to see any info that is actually from TB.

Fwooshnet has the official answer since Falcon has been comments of it in the past.

Despite all the talk, and now borderline insults, I have yet to see any info that is actually from TB.

Magic, my comments were not directed at you, but at all the people who simply REFUSE to stop telling everyone that regular figures are really variants.

I'm sorry if it sounded like it was a diatribe aimed at you or anyone else who doesn't already know the real deal or knows the real deal and was posting the real deal in this thread.

We cool?