Star Wars Comic Packs Hi-Res Images

JayC

For some strange reason I like these, maybe it's the price combined with the odd look of them (the shading effects look worse than the initial pictures from the convention!). I mean if they wanted $14 for these sets, they'd be crazy. (Or $20 like the Crimson Empire set)

The worst figure of the lot is Chewbacca (head doesn't match the art, should be slicked back hair!), of course he's paired with the best of the lot. Overall, Tarkin and the stormtrooper is the best, thought I'd be inclined to get Han/chewie first knowing there are people crazy enough to army build those Hans at $10 each. Vader and the rebel....they included the interrogator droid and a saber. Cool. Too bad they skimped on the on the regular stormtrooper. Just a rifle? Come on! A regular stormtrooper blaster won't bankrupt ya! where's the rifle rack? Why is tarkin hanging onto his weapon from $20 years before? howsa about a mouse droid?

According to case packing Vader/rebel is 4 per case, Han/Chewie is 2 and Tarkin/Stormtrooper is 2. So Vader/Rebel will glut the pegs, and Han/Chewie will be hardest to get. Stupid packing ratio, all the vaders on pegsinstores now. No stormtroopers warming pegs anywhere. Is anyone paying attention?

Hmmm.

I don't get it.

Joe comic packs are hot because that's how most people think of the characters....comic accurate=good.

With the SW stuff, I thought it was just suck-ass artists and poor coloring that made them look wrong and crappy. I'm not sure why people would want them....I didn't think the SW comics were popular....

Hmmm. Big pass for me, anyway.

Actually, according to Jim Shooter (EiC of that time) the Star Wars comics were what single handedly saved Marvel from Bankruptcy in the 70's. The Star Wars comics were EXTREMELY popular at the time, mostly because back then there was no real VHS so if you wanted to relive a movie you either had to find a theater still playing it, or buy the comic adaption.

That plus could you imagine Star Wars being brand new? Some of you were there for it, but I'm guessing a lot of posters here weren't alive for the release of Star Wars. You think it gets crazy finding stuff during the prequel movies, it must have been ape-sh*t crazy trying to find Star Wars products in the 70's.

That's why Marvel went on to do GI Joe and Transformers and other licensed comics in the 80's, but no longer continues the practice today (except Halo).

Anyway, I think these figures look great (han especially, though his face sculpt is iffy). Some are openers, others are outdated and look better in package.

That Vader/Fleet Trooper is going to be murder on the pegs. That's just hideous.

However, I like the other two. I might get two of the Han/Chewie set just so I can take a Sharpie to the lenses and have a decent Han in Stormtrooper disguise.

The Marvel SW comics were very popular. That's why the series lasted 107 issues. That's why the issues are worth a lot. Back then, before the EU, the stories were what took place in between the movies. I was in second grade when my little girlfriend at the time GAVE me issue 1 of SW. Technically, that was my very first comic book.

I don't care for these figures. I'm not looking forward to seeing the Vader 2-pack keeping those pegs warm. For the people who don't like the shading: that's how shading looks in comic books. "Black" shading is blue, this is why Superman's hair looks blue sometimes, not because he's from Krypton. Supes didn't go emo or anything. His hair is jet black. The blue is shading. Chewbacca looks like a sasquatch with that shading.

I don't see why Hasbro makes stormtroopers/clones rare. They should know by now that people like to army build. It would be in their best interest to make stormtroopers plentiful. It's not like they're the ones making the big money on the aftermarket on Ebay.

For the people who don't like the shading: that's how shading looks in comic books. "Black" shading is blue, this is why Superman's hair looks blue sometimes, not because he's from Krypton. Supes didn't go emo or anything. His hair is jet black. The blue is shading. Chewbacca looks like a sasquatch with that shading.

I know why the blue shading is there, but it still is silly. The GI Joe comic packs didn't have it, why do the SW packs need it? If they wanted to make the figures a bit unique, just use the comic colors without the shading - Tarkin looks fine, no shading on him that I can tell.

I don't see why Hasbro makes stormtroopers/clones rare. They should know by now that people like to army build. It would be in their best interest to make stormtroopers plentiful. It's not like they're the ones making the big money on the aftermarket on Ebay.

The Clones/Imperials are the most popular thing in the line right now. If they were to completely meet demand for them, the interest in the line would come to an end pretty quickly.

They've got to string us along for as long as they can. It sucks, but it's damn fine business sense.

The stormies/clones are hot because there are army builder collectors, many of which do not want to pay high prices but just want to find enough figures for their armies. It's not a good business decision. Hasbro could make more money if they met the demand, at least. I seriously doubt the pegs would be clogged with stormies/clones if the demand was met. Not all collectors are willing to pay high prices for dozens of figures that are essentially "extras". As a collector, one who doesn't have a lot of money for this hobby and I know there are MANY others out there like me, I would not want to pay more than 6-7 for Star Wars figures, especially if they were for an army. Hasbro does not benefit from scalpers and dealers snatching up the clones just to sell them at shows and Ebay at 2 or 3 times the retail price. Hasbro did not create the army building phenomenon. Fans did. Why would fans abandoned a cool hobby just because they could go to the store at any time if they wanted an extra clone and not be worried about it selling out? From what I've seen, no army building fan has enough clones. If anything, they should release more clone and stormtrooper multi-packs.

The more someone is interested in something, the more you hold back in an attempt to keep that interest alive. It's a fine line to tread, but it won't last forever.

Sure, a case of Clones would sell like hotcakes for a few months. Eventually, people will get used to seeing Clones everywhere, not worry about picking a few up right now, and stores choke on the backlog, thereby cutting orders for later assortments.

As soon as someone sees a Clone, they don't let it sit. They snatch that thing up as if it were going out of style, and Hasbro loves that. It took years for this line to become hot again after Episode I, and they sure as hell aren't going to let go of it again if they can avoid it.

This is just a stopgap tactic, I'm sure, keeping interest in the line high until the TV series gets underway. If Clones/Stormtroopers feature prominently in that, I doubt they'll be as conservatively packed as they are now.

I didn't say release a case of clones. I'm only saying, quit making the clone/stormtroopers rare. 1 a case is not a good business decision. Make them just as common as the other figures. Again, I didn't say release a case, just release a little more than they are normally doing.

Hasbro is not perfect. Look at all the Vaders clogging up the pegs. Vader is very popular now. I would say Vader is the most popular SW character. But, look at all the Vader figures. It seems Hasbro is trying to capitalise on this popularity but it's not really working. Who wants a Vader army??

Army building is very popular right now. Trying to guess they will be popular later when the TV show is on is a little risky. They might as well take advantage of the current trend and milk it. If what you're saying is correct, then Hasbro would be benefitting from the after market on Ebay and at toy shows. Since that's not happening, I have to disagree with you and continue believing what they are doing now, with short packed troopers, is a bad decision. It's catering to the collector. Are you trying to tell me kids don't want the troopers? I don't believe that nonsense. I wanted EVERY figure, even female figures,when I was younger. Aliens, robots, females, guards and of course the heroes. I wanted them all. I don't believe kids are so one dimensional that they only want the heroes.