Walmart is stupid

KingJohnny

They must like losing out on money.

I went to a Walmart today that had the Vintage figs on sale for 5 bucks each. I picked up a Tusken Raider and the Han. I went to another Walmart and the figures were not on sale. I picked up an X-Wing Luke and Greedo. (I needed all 4 figures since I was not willing to pay 10 bucks a pop.). Anyway, I took the Luke and Greedo back to the first Walmart so they would match the price and I could get 10 bucks back.

No can do. What the heck? They could match prices with Target, Best Buy, TRU etc...but not another Walmart? So, I told the guy, "fine, I'll just return them right here for a refund since I can get a refund at any Walmart." He was visibly pissed but oh well, that's their fault, not mine. I was tempted to ask if I could go ahead and buy them for 5 bucks each since they were now available again to purchase but I didn't want to be a pain in the ass since there was a big line of people behind me.

So, I asked my brother, JoeRhyno, to keep an eye out for them in case they put them back up on the shelves and snatch them up for 5 bucks. Either way, they lost out on 10 bucks and are now stuck with 2 more figures that they've been trying to sell for months.

you should have just asked for them back and gone to a register and bought them

thats funny that you returned them there since they wouldn't price match :D SHouldn't you have asked at the store you brought them at though to price match rather than going to a dif WM?..

Why should they be obligated to price-match with stores in their own chain? Price-matching with competing stores makes sense because it attracts customers FROM those competing chains, but not with sister stores a short distance away.

Essentially, by trying to do this you were attempting fraud--and that is likely why the clerk refused the price-matching transaction, but accepted the refund.

PRETTY PLEASE, if anyone can get me a luke, greedo, or tusken raider at a cheaper price I would really really appreciate it. They're all I need left and all I can find is Greedo and everyone still wants $10 for him.

Yea, I want them at that $1 price my self haha!

:P

$1 I would army build troopers and sandpeople no dout :D

a entire wackload of sandpeople in line for the troopers to slaughter would be kinda cool looking actaully heh

PRETTY PLEASE, if anyone can get me a luke, greedo, or tusken raider at a cheaper price I would really really appreciate it. They're all I need left and all I can find is Greedo and everyone still wants $10 for him.

Cheapest I've seen them is 5 bucks. Wish I could track them down for a buck. Hasbro should do us a favor an ship 'em to Dollar Tree :D.

The important question is...was this Walmart in the same town?

I work at a Walmart, WM will NOT pricematch a store that is not in the same service area (generally, more than 20 minute drive is outside their service area).

Why? Because I think the idea is that the stores are tailored to its area, and if another store is not in your immediate area, then it isn't "intended" for you to shop in.

But if it is in the same town, hell if I know

SHouldn't you have asked at the store you brought them at though to price match rather than going to a dif WM?..

I was in the self-checkout line and there were about 3 people behind me so I just bought them and planned on going to the 1st Walmart.

you should have just asked for them back and gone to a register and bought them

I didn't think I was allowed to walk away with them, after he threw them into a cart anyway. He seemed very pissed, realising the flaw with their no-pricematching-with-other-Walmarts policy.

You want to know why, cause they were entirely 2 different figures.........studip A$$ Walmart list every individual figure with their own barcode....which is why they wouldn't do that...... now if you got the same 2 figures at both, then they would've matched.

I'm not sure if that really mattered because he scanned them both and they both rang up 5 bucks. He saw that I wasn't lying. He mumbled something under his breath about "we're not supposed to do this blah blah blah" but gave me the refund anyway.

Why should they be obligated to price-match with stores in their own chain? Price-matching with competing stores makes sense because it attracts customers FROM those competing chains, but not with sister stores a short distance away.

Essentially, by trying to do this you were attempting fraud--and that is likely why the clerk refused the price-matching transaction, but accepted the refund.

Then what's the point of accepting returns from another store? My point is that they lost out on 10 bucks because they would not match the price AND accepted the return, giving me my 21 bucks back and having to put two more figures up on the shelves. Granted, those two figures might sell but only at 5 bucks each. I was not attempting fraud. I was only taking advantage of a sale. Nothing wrong with that.

Forget that this is about figures. What if I bought a microwave at one WM for 60 bucks but another WM had it for 30? I could ask for a pricematch and if they refuse, I could return it, get my 60 bucks back and then go and buy one off the shelf for 30 bucks, essentially getting what I wanted in the first place except now there's extra hassle. They lose out on 30 bucks. It's not going to kill them to pricematch their own stores.

Besides, isn't their number one priority to make the customer happy? Just the other day, I was listening in on the WM bosses holding an employee meeting. I was waiting for them to finish using the layaway area and had no other choice to just listen in. All I heard was "customer number 1 this" and "always take care of the customer first" that.

If I'm allowed to return for a refund, I don't call it fraud. If there's a flaw in their return policy, I don't call it fraud. The solution to this problem is to accept pricematching from another Walmart. A Walmart, or any store, can't possibly expect customers going into their stores must live nearby. Almost every town has a Walmart now. It's unrealistic to expect customers not to venture into other towns. Walmarts should accept all customers no matter what town they came from. They should also pricematch their own store. Why is it suddenly unfair of me to try and buy something, action figure or not, for the sale price? I wasn't even buying these Vintage figures until they went on sale. I was WAITING for this kind of sale. If I, the valued customer, can not get the product at the price I want...I do not buy. They were not willing to pricematch and I got a refund. They lost 10 bucks and gained two more items that they are trying to get rid of (hence the half-off sale).

I did nothing wrong.

The important question is...was this Walmart in the same town?

I work at a Walmart, WM will NOT pricematch a store that is not in the same service area (generally, more than 20 minute drive is outside their service area).

Why? Because I think the idea is that the stores are tailored to its area, and if another store is not in your immediate area, then it isn't "intended" for you to shop in.

But if it is in the same town, hell if I know

It was not the same town. It was about 15 miles away. If this particular Walmart is tailored to that particular area, then as far as Vintage figures go, all stores are the same because they're having a hard time "moving" this product. I figured all Walmarts were having this sale. I was not running around to a bunch of Walmarts trying to snatch up Vintage figures and take them back to the 1st Walmart for pricematching, which would be futile since I'm not really getting any money back and actually burning money away on gas. I simply thought that this was a nationwide sale and when I noticed they were not on sale at one Walmart, I figured I could get them pricematched at another. I was wrong and they lost 10 bucks.

"I went to a Walmart today that had the Vintage figs on sale for 5 bucks each."

I dont think those figures for $5 were on "sale". They were more than likely on clearance or mark downs (I think wal-mart use to call them that). As a general rule, most retail stores will not price match clearance or marked down items.

It was not the same town. It was about 15 miles away. If this particular Walmart is tailored to that particular area, then as far as Vintage figures go, all stores are the same because they're having a hard time "moving" this product. I figured all Walmarts were having this sale. I was not running around to a bunch of Walmarts trying to snatch up Vintage figures and take them back to the 1st Walmart for pricematching, which would be futile since I'm not really getting any money back and actually burning money away on gas. I simply thought that this was a nationwide sale and when I noticed they were not on sale at one Walmart, I figured I could get them pricematched at another. I was wrong and they lost 10 bucks.

My Walmart never even GOT Vintage figures

Unless it is advertised on a flyer or TV, lots of these sales and clearances are dictated on a store level.

Why did the other store not have them marked down? Maybe they were selling enough to justify keeping them there. Maybe an idiot manager?

Most likely these VOTC figures were a clearance item and not a sale item. I don't think Wal-Marts can price match clearance items because those prices are set by each individual store. Someone I know in Oklahoma got a $40 item on clearance for $10 almost 2 years ago. At my Wal-Marts, just now are the same items being clearanced for $35.

Ok, I understand, they were on clearance and not "on sale". The point is, because of the flaw in their matching price policy, they lost out on 10 bucks. Maybe they should match a clearance price of another Walmart, at least. If anything, they should not have let me return an item that was on clearance in their store but not another Walmart.

Why did the other store not have them marked down? Maybe they were selling enough to justify keeping them there. Maybe an idiot manager?

I doubt it. Except for the Lukes, Biker Scouts and maybe some Tusken Raiders, the Hans and Greedos basically became peg warmers. The Tuskens vary at different stores. I've seen most stores have at least one. The one that did have 5 dollar figures had one.

So essentially what I'm hearing here is "HA HA! I scammed Walmart with their own policies." Just watch what you say to store employees. Practically admitting that you're going to screw them over whether they like it or not can get you into a lot of trouble. All he had to do was notify the associates behind the customer service counter what you had said to him...and that would have put an end to the whole scenerio real quick. Whether YOU look at it this way or not, stores view it as attempted fraud, and that can potentially lead to legal troubles. Not a lecture, just a word of warning from someone who works as a TRU manager.

And people wonder why TRU has a new nearly-draconian return policy...if we want to stay in business without prices skyrocketing, we have to protect our interests from situations like this.