Heath Ledger hates comic book movies...

biglebowski9999

Well I don't like Ledger, as I've stated, but to be fair with this. I think what he is saying is that the focus of the Joker's personality is going to be on his sinister side , which means they are going for depth, instead of having the focus being having the audience "yukking" it up everytime the Joker does a prank or laughs. Like with Nicholson's Joker. I was never afraid of him. He never creeped me out. The focus on his version was on the laugh and his pranks.

So I could be wrong but that is what I think was meant by that statement.

That's the gist I got from it too.

The character of the Joker has never been played scary in any of his on-screen incarnations, he's always tended to be this homicidal buffoon/prankster.

I think Ledger could play a mean.......and I mean literally, a "mean" Joker. I think there's room to address the twisted "sicko" nature of the character and that is where I hope/expect/imagine they will take this character.

Yeah, I'd like to see a more sinister Joker too...something that kinda brings back the comic stories of when he did such despicable acts as nearly killing Barbara Gordon or "killing" Jason Todd...sorry, inner fan boy @flammed@

But as much as I like Jack Nicholson as an actor, I felt he just went through the motions with the Joker character, and thus did the typical and expected jokes and gags. He didn't dig deeper, which is a shame because with his talent he could have easily pulled off an amazing performance as the Joker, compared to the good performance he did. Maybe it was just the script or Burton's vision, who knows. Yet, I too want to see the other side of this character explored in the new movie.

I won't blast Ledger for what he said, either you like or dislike Superhero movies or comics, but the fans will really get on his case, that is just expected. Fans love their characters and will take it personal if an actor, director or even a friend do not share the same passion.

well you have to admit, 90% of comic book movies do suck :P

That only being the case when the director and writers don't know what the hell they are doing. For some reason alot of them love to mess around with the origin of the super hero and all general plot. Look at the Tim Burton Batman movies, they did help revive the Dark Knight back to his roots but it depicted him as a cold blooded killer who would toss his adversaries off of a building. That goes against the definitive Batman's code. The Schumacher Batman films just further ruined the franchise. At least, with Batman Begins, Mr. Nolan kept the character closely grounded to the comic book counterpart.

Spider-Man 2 has it's faults. Did you notice that Spider-Man keeps taking off his mask in public for most of the movie? That and the fact that the film was written by the super hero hating ##$%$#s who write the hum-drum soap dating plots of Smallville.

Then there is Daredevil. I'm not even going to talk about that one considering it was a very bad film.

Alot of the people who make the superhero movies are just in it for the money; they could care less about actually making a good movie true to the super hero character.

Arrow - Not all comics are written straightforward, I could throw out plenty of examples, but the most recent and accessible one would be X-Factor. I highly recommend that to anyone, whether you like x-men or don't. I dislike all x-comics from the mid 90's to about the mid 00's. Buy this and astonishing are worthy reads.

I don't care what Ledger thinks. He's a decent actor and I hope he does justice to the Joker. Not all comic movies are bad, but it seems that a lot of them are forgettable, but this goes for all movies. Out of the 100+ movies released every year, only a handful really stand out. Some of Ledger's previous work is worse than some of the worse comic movies.

But it's easier to define a genre and label it comic movies, and then bash it, than to pick out all the movies in the entire industry and bash them on an individual basis.

He must have watched FF4 before he did his interview.

Well FF wasn't a bad movie but the origins of the characters were just too drawn out across the entire length of the film. The only fight scene happens towards the end. Hopefully the sequel will have alot more action this time around because there were at least a couple of times there where I could have fallen asleep during FF.

Guest DavAnthony

I didn't think Fantastic Four was horrible but it wasn't as good as it could of been. They definatley went for more fluf then substance with that movie. It reminded me more of the summer hits of the 90's, films that were big splashes but there were a lot of dumb jokes (like the dog covering his eyes when the firetruck was about to go off the bridge) you know dumb Schumacher type dialogue and jokes.

Now Fantastic Four wasn't as bad as that but it definatley wasn't up to the quality level of Batman Begins.

I didn't think Fantastic Four was horrible but it wasn't as good as it could of been. They definatley went for more fluf then substance with that movie. It reminded me more of the summer hits of the 90's, films that were big splashes but there were a lot of dumb jokes (like the dog covering his eyes when the firetruck was about to go off the bridge) you know dumb Schumacher type dialogue and jokes.

Now Fantastic Four wasn't as bad as that but it definatley wasn't up to the quality level of Batman Begins.

Heh, the movie would have really been bad if Schumacher had gotten his hands on it. Mr.Fantastic's privates would probably be stretching around and his costume would have nipples on it. Schumacher should never be allowed to direct another superhero movie again. He shouldn't direct at all.