The 2006 National Football League Season

Ugly Bulldog

I didn't get a chance to see last night's game. But from all indications, it sounds like Atlanta did the dive.

I'm sure Atlanta will respond to these accusations and kill Arizona at home next week. And plus, it's Leinart's first start. Not many rookie QBs make their debut on the road and win.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch Monday night football? First off nothing against the Saint's or the city of N.O. But it looked like the Falcons took a dive tonight. (For the city and the people kinda thing) It just looked like the Falcons weren't even trying.

O and GTA Sith I've enjoyed the Ravens being 3-0 too, but I think that's about to come to and end when the Chargers come to town next week. Should make for a great game.

I don't think so, look like a Charger player got in trouble with the law.

Originally published September 27, 2006, 5:03 PM EDT

SAN DIEGO // Chargers strong safety Terrence Kiel admitted to shipping at least two parcels of prescription cough syrup to Texas, DEA officials said Wednesday, a day after the player was arrested at team headquarters.

While Kiel did not tell the DEA his motive, the agency in Texas has found widespread abuse of codeine-based cough syrup mixed with soft drinks or drugs and referred to as "lean," said John S. Fernandes, the special agent in charge of the San Diego office. A pint bottle of "lean" can cost between $200 and $325 on the street, he said.

Kiel grew up in Lufkin and played at Texas A&M.

Kiel was arrested on two counts of transporting a controlled substance and three counts of possession for sale of a controlled substance. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday.

The DEA is investigating where Kiel got the cough syrup, who else may be involved and the intent.

Two federal law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, said quart bottles full of what appears to be prescription cough syrup were found at Kiel's house. Both officials said Kiel admitted to financial difficulties when interviewed by agents.

Kiel is making $500,000 this year, his fourth with the Chargers.

Kiel's status for Sunday's game at Baltimore was not immediately known. He was jailed Tuesday and released on bail.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith and coach Marty Schottenheimer did not return several phone calls from The Associated Press seeking comment.

"We're aware of an off-the-field situation involving Terrence Kiel and we're monitoring the situation," the team said in a statement issued Tuesday night. "Due to the personal nature of the ongoing legal investigation, the Chargers are withholding further comment until the matter is resolved legally."

Kiel's agent, Vann McElroy, said he couldn't comment on specifics of the case.

"Terrence is a good kid. We just have to wait and see," McElroy said.

Fernandes said the two shipments Kiel admitted to sending to Texas each contained prescription cough syrup that had been repackaged in pint-sized water bottles.

On Tuesday, Kiel was called off the practice field after authorities arrived at Chargers headquarters. Kiel was taken into the locker room, detained and read his rights, Fernandes said. His locker wasn't searched, but authorities searched his car, then took him to his house to execute a search warrant.

Fernandes said codeine-based cough syrup can be used to enhance, mitigate or temper other drugs, including cocaine and PCP.

"It goes right to the heart of what really is fueling an already out-of-control, raging fire of abuse of pharmaceutical drugs," Fernandes said.

Kiel was a second-round draft pick in 2003.

Three months after being drafted, Kiel was shot three times during an attempted carjacking in Houston. Kiel returned to play in all 16 games as a rookie, including eight starts.

It was the fourth run-in with the law by a Chargers player since April.

Outside linebacker Steve Foley was shot three times outside his suburban home on Sept. 3 by an off-duty Coronado police officer who suspected him of drunk driving. Foley will miss the entire season and forfeit at least $775,000 in pay.

Foley and linebacker Shaun Phillips were each arrested for scuffling with San Diego police officers a week apart in April. Neither was charged.

___

Associated Press writer Allison Hoffman in San Diego contributed to this story.

The Charger are facing the number 1 deffense in the NFL, it going to be a long day for LT as faces Ray Lewis on Sunday.

Another Bengals players is in trouble with the law again.

CINCINNATI // Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman, already banned for the first four games of 2006 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, was suspended Wednesday for the rest of the season following his arrest on a charge of drunken driving.

Thurman was arrested about 3 a.m. Monday, hours after the Bengals beat division rival Pittsburgh 28-20.

Police said Thurman's blood alcohol was 0.18 percent when he was arrested, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent in Ohio. Thurman is due in court Oct. 2, the day his initial suspension for missing a drug test was to end.

The Bengals were on the practice field when the suspension was announced, and coach Marvin Lewis was not immediately available for comment. Earlier, quarterback Carson Palmer noted that he saw Thurman cleaning out his locker at Paul Brown Stadium.

"I think everybody saw that and realized at some point you're not going to get a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance," Palmer said.

"It comes down to decision-making. Coach Lewis is fed up with harping on Odell about doing the right thing at the right time and not being at the wrong place at the wrong time," Palmer said. "At some point, I think Marvin's done with it."

But Palmer said the actions of his teammates--six Bengals players have faced various charges since December--have had no effect on the play of the 3-0 team.

"I think we've got a couple guys who've gotten mixed up and made bad decisions," Palmer said. "In no way will that affect the rest of this team or any other individual players."

At a news conference Monday, Lewis was critical of Thurman's behavior.

"I am not pleased," Lewis said then. "It's not right, it's not what we stand for, it's not what the National Football League should represent."

Thurman, a second-round draft pick from Georgia last year, started all but one game in 2005. His arrest came less than a week after commissioner Roger Goodell visited Cincinnati and reminded players of their responsibility to stay out of trouble and represent the league honorably.

"He just obviously doesn't understand the privilege and the right to play in the National Football League," Lewis said. "This will probably be dealt with very severely."

Rookie Reggie McNeal and Chris Henry, both Bengals wide receivers, were in the vehicle when Thurman was arrested, but they were not charged.

Henry has been arrested four times and convicted twice, avoiding jail time so far. He pleaded guilty to marijuana possession in northern Kentucky, and this month pleaded guilty to a weapon charge in Orlando, Fla.

Is Marvin Lewis making the sequel to The Longest Yard again.

^That was a really good game for what I heard. I only caught the last minute of it.

I was watching the Colts/Jets game. That was a fantastic match-up. The Colts go up by three and the Jets return the kick-off to take the lead back. Then Peyton just marches down the field in under a minute for the Colts to go ahead again.

The ending was great too with the Jets lateraling the ball to each other. They got about 50 yards doing that till they finally gave it up.

^That was a really good game for what I heard. I only caught the last minute of it.

I was watching the Colts/Jets game. That was a fantastic match-up. The Colts go up by three and the Jets return the kick-off to take the lead back. Then Peyton just marches down the field in under a minute for the Colts to go ahead again.

The ending was great too with the Jets lateraling the ball to each other. They got about 50 yards doing that till they finally gave it up.

That was a great game. I don't usually get into other teams other than the Bears, but I was really rooting for the Jets. That's one of the best games I've seen in a while. I liked it when Pennington rushed the team to the line and caught the Colts off guard and they ended up with a penalty or something. They showed Manning on the bench kind of shaking his head liek he was saying "Nice strategy."

I like Manning and Pennington. They've really got their head in the game.

4-0 for the Ravens, man McNair did it again in the 4th quarter there it matter. The touchdown pass to Todd Heap with no timeout left was great. Colts/Jets game was the best one yet if I had a dish, oh well I can watched it on the NFL Replay on NFL Network

Looks like the Bears or for real! They smoked the Seahawks. I'm picking them for the superbowl. They've just got it all this year. A team like this is rare when they can dominate on both sides of the ball. I can easily see them going 8-0 since they play Buffalo, Arizona, San Francisco and Miami.

Wow. Bears put up 40 consecutive points to beat the Bills 40-7. That's scary.

Also surprising to see the Titans almost upset the Colts in Indy. I thought Vince Young would be making mistakes left and right. I guess this is an indication of how bad the Colts defense is.

I don't think anybody can stop the Bears this year. I'm predicting an undefeated season and a Superbowl win. Ok maybe not undefeated but I do see a Superbowl in the future.

They just don't make mistakes. Part of me is hesitant to believe that they are this good but they've dominated 4 out of 5 games this year.

Saints took it to the eagles. they are definitly on a roll. how about the Titans. Could be a start of things to come in the next few years.

I can't believe the Bears pulled it out. I was watching it on HDTV at a friend's house and Arizona seemingly had the game clinched. I got home 10 minutes later and the Bears are winning by 1. It's amazing how someone can come from a 20-point deficit (without an offensive touchdown) and win the game. Amazing.

At the same time, Leinart looks like the real deal. So what if he made some mistakes at the end. He looked great.

BEARS WIN! HOLY CRAP. I got home from class at the beginning of the third quarter, when they were down. It was either do my homework or watch da bears, easy solution. I can't believe it was worthwhile though, Damn that was the second best game I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Minnesota was gonna beat New England tonight. Instead, the Pats absolutely decimated the Vikes. That was a whupping.

That was an embarrassment. Brad Johnson needs to go. They need a QB fix quick. Bollinger didn't fare any better. Thank god the Vikes are playing against SF this weekend.

I thought Minnesota was gonna beat New England tonight. Instead, the Pats absolutely decimated the Vikes. That was a whupping.

That was an embarrassment. Brad Johnson needs to go. They need a QB fix quick. Bollinger didn't fare any better. Thank god the Vikes are playing against SF this weekend.

True but the defense was just as worthless. Man how many guys did Brady throw it too. I think some of the d-line caught passes from him that defense was terrible

I have to rant.

I usually don't get upset over games, but the Packers loss to the Bills just had me shaking my head. The Packers were 1 yard from scoring a touchdown on 1st & Goal to tie the game at 17-17. The coach calls for a quick slant in the end zone where it's all congested with Bills defenders. Favre arrows a bullet into Driver where it deflects up into the air and the Bills pick it off and run it down into Packers territory. They later scored a touchdown. Instead of getting a tie, the Packers end up losing 24-10, while going down to a 3-5 record.

It's just one of those moments where you look at the coach and you want to ask him "Why?".