ToyBiz or Wal-Mart clearing out warehouses?

Mongoose

In the last few weeks, I've run across a few oddities at local Wal-Marts. One Wal-Mart had a La Lunatica figure for ToyBiz's X-Men 2099 line that came out in 1996. Another Wal-Mart had 4 figures from the first X-Men movie line. All of these figs had Giant Man ML wave price stickers over the barcodes. Has anyone else run across any odd ToyBiz items recently?

Wouldn't be Toy Biz. They don't maintain facilities to hold figures anymore. Probably some idiots at the Return counter letting anything come back.

That maybe true but yesterday morning while hunting for ML 14 I found a shiny new Dark Pheonix hideing behind a ML 10 Cyclops. I almost fainted. There was also a Brown Wolvie figure on down the isle. Weird foe sure.

Point being there may be a frustrated wife that returned these two, but other than that nobodys gonna return older varients.

Wouldn't be Toy Biz. They don't maintain facilities to hold figures anymore. Probably some idiots at the Return counter letting anything come back.

No, the figs I've found, and the one Canonball found have Marvel Legend price stickers applied over the barcodes. That wasn't something done at the store level.

No, the figs I've found, and the one Canonball found have Marvel Legend price stickers applied over the barcodes. That wasn't something done at the store level.

Still probably someone returning them. It's not that hard to glue a sticker over the barcode. Scammers do that all the time in retail.

with the cancellation coming up...due to Hasbro taking over....Im sure that WM, KM, TRU etc are pushing everything out. When MOTU was cancelled, everything that was MOTU was put on clearance. They have to start making room for Hasbro anyway

About a month ago I found a Generation X Marrow figure at WM, so I thought that was an odd find...I did pay typical ML price for it, $7.83 or so, plus tax.

Still probably someone returning them. It's not that hard to glue a sticker over the barcode. Scammers do that all the time in retail.

I agree, its definitely scammers. They bought Marvel Legends already so they just use that receipt and somehow glue on matching barcodes to some old worthless carded figure.

Well, today on a trip today to Target I found an Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Bishop, and Iron Fist that had a Sentinel Series board on the back. Like the Wolverine had the FA Spiderman stats board on the back

And the packaging was in French, I live in the U.S.

I agree, its definitely scammers. They bought Marvel Legends already so they just use that receipt and somehow glue on matching barcodes to some old worthless carded figure.

It may bee a big scam, and if it is, I wouldn't be surprised. However, I found the La Lunatica and then the movie X-Men figs at 2 different Wal-Marts way across Denver from one another. I mean the gas alone to drive these figs across Denver to these Wal-Marts would make it pretty pointless. Plus, the price stickers weren't the same as the ones actually on the Giantman wave. Meaning the scammer would have had to scan the UPC, alter it with Photoshop, and print it on label paper. Seems like a lot of work for this simple scam.

If I run across any more of these oddities, I'll see if i can get a good shot with my camera phone.

I think it's both clearing out warehouses & scammers, just depends on where you live.

On the dark side, a lot of re-released ML 10, 11, and 12 have stickers on the back that are removable. Just keep your receipt, slap the sticker on the thing you want to return, and bam, you have money back plus you got rid of something you don't want.

You guys didn't hear this from me... lol

On the good side, I found a SMC 2000 McFarlane Spidey & the lady said there were more in the back. That is not from scammers.

What's strange about all these finds is it's a couple pieces here,a couple pieces there.There hasn't been any reports of whole cases of oddities being found.Maybe Toybiz is sneaking this stuff into Marvel Legend cases?

That's the point that almost guarantees its scammers. Walmart doesn't keep anything that long and Toy Biz has no warehouses from which to pull old figures.

You all are trying to make this more than it is.

What's strange about all these finds is it's a couple pieces here,a couple pieces there.There hasn't been any reports of whole cases of oddities being found.Maybe Toybiz is sneaking this stuff into Marvel Legend cases?

That's the point that almost guarantees its scammers. Walmart doesn't keep anything that long and Toy Biz has no warehouses from which to pull old figures.

You all are trying to make this more than it is.

I'm hearing of too many of these oddities at this one time to be a scam. Plus, like I said, all that I've seen have the Giant Man stickers on them. If these people all wanted to scam, they could have done it a year ago with ML 9 barcodes, or 2 years ago with ML 7 barcodes. There's no way that everyone who wants to scam Wal-Mart is doing it now with the same barcodes.

Here's my take...

The Walmart in my area just had a HUGE renovation - new look, new paint, new floors, new aisle layouts - it's probably a nationwide initiative.

Whilst doing so, they probably uncovered tons of junk that was misplaced, mis-pegged, hidden by scalpers (who never came back), got lost in the spaces between aisles, etc.

So...with all this newfound "old junk", tey probably decided to put it out and see if anyone wanted it. The original SKUs are non-existent now, so they slapped something similar on it, and now it's for sale.

Anyway...that's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.

Here's my take...

The Walmart in my area just had a HUGE renovation - new look, new paint, new floors, new aisle layouts - it's probably a nationwide initiative.

Whilst doing so, they probably uncovered tons of junk that was misplaced, mis-pegged, hidden by scalpers (who never came back), got lost in the spaces between aisles, etc.

So...with all this newfound "old junk", tey probably decided to put it out and see if anyone wanted it. The original SKUs are non-existent now, so they slapped something similar on it, and now it's for sale.

Anyway...that's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.

The Wal-Mart I found the La Lunatica at just got renovated, so your theory does make sense.