September 12th Release Info....

shangrulaa

Here is the deal as from some of the e-mails I have received from Star Wars.com and researching the jazz.

The 3 films are going to be released in their pulp THEATRICAL VERSION on disc 2. This means, no digital enhancing in anyway, all the matt-lines from the Snow Speeders, even the blob under the land speeder to the original explosions and the original Ewok musicial at the end of ROTJ.

And as we all know, the most important thing is HAN SHOOTING FIRST!

for EP IV: ANH.... in 1977 it was just named "Star Wars" and that is the way it is going to be on disc 1, on the opening scroll, it is not going to have the episode number and individual name.

on further to disc 1...

The first discs will contain the revised copies of the films from all the new editing in 2004.

they will be availble in both WS and FS.

There wasn't any talk about any extra features or boxing them together, they were only announced as being released individually, and are on Amazon.com for preorder for $17.87

Go on over to Starwars.com and check out "movies" and select each of IV, V, VI and they have some pic features on there where they take you on a shot by shot of both versions of the films with notes.

I thought these were going to be transfers from the "THX versions" of the laserdiscs? Who wants to see matte lines and the blob under the landspeeder???

You know, when tons of SW fans were crying out for the original releases on DVD, they weren't asking for the landspeeder blob. They wanted Special Edition quality equivalent releases of the OT.

Why, George, why?

Well, if this is true, I'm not buying them. I have copies of the THX laserdiscs.

I thought these were going to be transfers from the "THX versions" of the laserdiscs? Who wants to see matte lines and the blob under the landspeeder???

You know, when tons of SW fans were crying out for the original releases on DVD, they weren't asking for the landspeeder blob. They wanted Special Edition quality equivalent releases of the OT.

Why, George, why?

Well, if this is true, I'm not buying them. I have copies of the THX laserdiscs.

Wow...you have a laser disc player :) Is Laser Disc the Betamax equivalent to VHS in that is just never caught on? How is the picture quality?

Really. And you got this info from your extensive polling of fans, I take it?

Speak for yourself. When I say I want the original versions, I want the ORIGINAL VERSIONS. I want to see what they were able to accomplish in '77 with the effects they had available. They really did amazing things for the time, and going back and changing it takes away from what they really did back then. I can see the cleaned up versions all day long.

george loves riding the money train.

Just like any of the rest of us, if we had come up with a space fantasy that became a world-wide cultural phenomenon that very nearly reaches the status of a religion. We'd milk it for every thin dime that it was worth, and you know it. "Artistic integrity" would go out the window after you raked in your first $100 million on merchandising royalties alone. :P

I don't have a laserdisc player. I have copies of the laserdisc versions on DVD.

Really. And you got this info from your extensive polling of fans, I take it?

Speak for yourself. When I say I want the original versions, I want the ORIGINAL VERSIONS. I want to see what they were able to accomplish in '77 with the effects they had available. They really did amazing things for the time, and going back and changing it takes away from what they really did back then. I can see the cleaned up versions all day long.

No, I got this info from hearing fans complain since the Special Editions, but most recently since the OT's release on DVD over the last 2 years. This isn't the only message board I post on. There are other boards, many of them with Star Wars boards. Maybe you haven't noticed many fans crying out for the pre-Special Edition OT release, but I have. I'm sorry if you don't believe me.

You could probably get the old versions on VHS for less than 5 bucks for the whole trilogy, if you want to see them that badly.

I like it here in TNI. There's no need to be smartass. I'm a big Transformers fan as well. I don't want to make any enemies here. Be nice.

Another thing: a couple of years ago, a petition was made for Lucasfilm to release the pre-Special Edition OT on DVD. It was signed by thousands of people. If I remember correctly, I think most people wanted the THX cleaned up versions with the untouched versions as a bonus.

Why, George, why?

we all know that would have been impossible. Do you think after all these years of Lucas stating that the copies we wanted were not the ones he originally wanted? It would have cost him a lot time and money to clean up the copies he hates........be lucky that we are finally getting these on dvd.

But aren't the THX versions good enough? They were digitally remastered. I'm talking about the very last time the OT was released before the Special Editions came out. They were digitally remastered. I believe these were the versions many fans wanted released on DVD. There's no need to clean up anything...they're already clean.

we all know that would have been impossible. Do you think after all these years of Lucas stating that the copies we wanted were not the ones he originally wanted? It would have cost him a lot time and money to clean up the copies he hates........be lucky that we are finally getting these on dvd.

Actually no, because they would have had to clean up the original negative to make the THX and digital effecting too, because it isnt like he went out and totally reshot the films.

Personally, I know a lot of people who are both upset and pleased with the release, and another thing, the sound on it is in Dolby 2.0 sound. I want the original. and screw laserdisc tranfers, I have 4 copies over 2 mediums as it is, and who knows even though it is on amazon doesnt mean it is true either... I mean they are billing the 3 disc version of the SE trilogy as the original trilogy. I just know that if you want to buy it, and know someone who works at Wal-Mart or Meijer's to have them hook you up with their discount on release day because when EP III came out I got it for $14 because of it. Although that was midnight release as well...

I am content with it until the boxed set comes out with all the movies and deleted scenes and whatnot.

Wow...you have a laser disc player :) Is Laser Disc the Betamax equivalent to VHS in that is just never caught on? How is the picture quality?

Actually, laser disc was popular for sci-fi and anime fans and people who can afford them. Just for a 30 minute episode CAV format was anywhere between $39-69.99. During the old days of BBS'ing (before the Internet was popular), we used CAV disks to do hi-res screen shots from a film and also used LD's for anime and used a genlock and Amiga for fan subtitling.

kndy

^http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release...ws20060503.html

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day.
I actually have read rumors/reports of a 6 film set for 2007; I can't help but wonder if the advertising for that will start Jan 1 or 2, 2007 @hmmm@

Until the end of the year.

Personally, I want the THEATRICAL VERSIONS, NO EDITING OF ANY SORT. Because as most of us have grown up with them, I mean yes I totally love Star Wars, I will probably not buy the set of 6 unless it has some extra discs included, with deleted scenes fron IV, V and VI.

Peter Jackson on the other hand for you LOTR fans out there, knew Lucasfilm was doing this so 3 weeks before what did the folks at Wingnut do? Thats right, they rode the cash cow yet again... They released on 2 disc dvd the LOTR trilogy of Theatrical and extended verions as well, and are charging $10-$12 more for them.

The new LotR discs were 17.99 this week at Best Buy and only 19.99 regular price. The original box sets were 30 bucks, I think.

As for the alleged 6-disc box set of both SW trilogies next year: I have a feeling we won't be seeing the original untouched versions that are coming out next week included. This might (don't hold your breath) be the last time we ever see the untouched versions released.

When I check on Amazon the night before the release they were $27.99 and instead of running out and buying the theatrical versions, I waited until the Extended versions came out, now that I want the theatrical versions of those, the turd released them with the extended... however I will still buy the 2 disc sets for $13.88 (maybe cheaper now) at wally world because of the featurettes.

INFO on SW: OT

Wal-Mart is $17.87 per movie, and they are having an exclusive with each movie which is the graphic novel of each of them they I believe (have to remember) are $19.86 a reprint from theose back in the day, However, I believe that GL will release I, II, & III with extra crap in them too because I have the II & III graphic novels and they have more things in them than the movies did. Like where Yoda is actually talking with Qui-Gon Jinn and a few other things...

FYE hasn't updated their site for that, and Best Buy is selling for $89.99 with collectible tin. Starwarsshop.com is for $59.99 and comes with a set of topps cards...

So yeah, My sister-in-law works at Meijer's and they are normally good about the midnight release so I will be using her discount card.