september 12th STAR WARS DVD release question

KENNY GUIDO

Ok, I heard that on this date, the ORIGINAL STAR WARS (the one that we all grew up with) is being finallu on DVD and as a bonus, the new version that we all despise is going to be packed along with it. the same deal goes for TESB & ROTJ. so, we are getting "6" movies?

does anyone know if these will be wide screen and full screen, too?

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, it's the untouched original versions, and the digitally remastered version from the mid-90s. I don't remember if the remastered versions had all the goofy changes or not.

And I think it's in both WS and FS.

I'm all over the WS versions!

From what I've read, yes we will be getting basicly six movies. Each disc will contain the Special Editions and a transfer of the originals from the versions that were made available on Laser Disc fifteen or so years ago. So the Original movies won't be as cleaned up as the SE versions. Some people think that the originals will be the SE cuts without all the new stuff, this is not the case. SO basicly idf you have the video releases from the early and mid 90's (pre 1997), they'll be about the same.

When are they going to come out with a 6 Movie Boxset is the real question. They can release these DVDs till the cows come home and I still won't buy one.

Well I have already signed over the deed to my home and I'm in the works for my first child to Lucas...What the hell I'll be like all the other sheep and buy this set on DVD as well as all the others I have bought....

@smilepunch@

lol, i really wanna see this, since the first time i saw SW was when it was reedited in 1995 or something.

Geezus...when I read this, I suddenly felt 10 days older than dirt. I'm only 33 and was 4 when ANH was originally in theaters. That was 1977...when "That 70s Show" was everyday life and not a sitcom. @loll@ Growing up with the original unedited versions for years before Uncle George decided to "re-envision" his Original Trilogy in '97, I found the clean-up and slight storyline changes to be welcomed somewhat. Of course, that was before we all knew that he was doing this in order to hammer a Prequel Trilogy into the existing storyline.

Due to technology limitations in the late 70's and early 80s, Lucas's universe didn't have nearly the depth that it does in the Special Editions/Prequels. Digital mattes and CGI gave us our first look at Coruscant at the end of ROTJ, a larger overview of Cloud City in ESB, and a sense of the enormity of the Death Star's surface in ANH. Before that, everything was done with very tight camera shots that never really gave you the "big picture" of everything going on around the characters.

So I'm passing on this set...I'm perfectly happy with the set I bought less than 2 years ago.

Besides...what we're all REALLY waiting for is The Star Wars Holiday Special bundled with Droids and Ewoks on DVD for the first time! @loll@

GPM, I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the OT, before the Special Editions came out, were digitally remastered. They are called the "THX versions". It was the last time the trilogy was released before the Special Editions. They were the verions that had Vader's face on ANH, a Stormtrooper's face on ESB and Yoda's face on RotJ. The laserdisc versions are the same, remastered in THX. If these are going to be transferred to DVD then there shouldn't be any kind of quality problems. I don't know how much more cleaner you can get than remastered. I remember watching the documentaries at the time. They painstakenly cleaned up the films. I'm sure they got every speck of dust they could find, even touched up the colours and removed matte lines (I think). If they weren't fit for DVD, I doubt they would be released. We all know how much of a quality freak George Lucas is.