Will Goo-Gone affect vintage RAH vehicles?

DPrime

Just a quick question before I go searching for it... I found a couple nice old vehicles but with crappy stickers, which I will replace with repros. Couple of spots where it's still kind of gooey, thought I'd ask here.

Also, I was planning on going to Walmart for this... good bet?

Thanks,

D

I don't have any answers for you, but I have a few questions for you.

I am also interested in restoring a few old vehicles. They are pretty easy to clean once you take them apart. But in order to get a good scrubbing to them you have to remove the old decals. I've heard of a few places for repro decals... so just curious where do you get your repro decals from?

Also which vehicles are you trying to restore?

http://the334thjoeco.com/ is good for a lot of them, but they have trouble with white stickers. I also use repros by a guy called Ruben (I think) who doesn't have a website, but is somewhat well known and does great work. I can PM you his email address if you want... let me know.

The ones I have are a Cobra CLAW and an Armadillo. I wouldn't mind some new tracks and maybe the bottom half of the hull for the Armadillo, but they're pretty good and will look great with new stickers...

Goo Gone is great stuff; I use it all the time! You can definitely find it at Wal-Mart or any other large retail store, probably near the cleaning supplies section and sometimes near the paint section as well. I've even seen it sold at automotive stores and and gas stations.

I would suggest you also pick up some Q-Tips to apply the Goo Gone with. Just moisten the area by rubbing lightly with the Q-Tip, wipe away the gooey sticker residue with a damp cloth and you should have that vehicle looking factory clean in no time.

The thing you need to remember when using Goo Gone is that it is all about how much pressure you apply to surface that you are trying to clean. If you scrub too hard, it can actiually leave visible marks on the plastic. Also, be very careful around clear parts as it can cause them to get foggy if your not careful. After using Goo Gone, I suggest you wash the vehicle in soap & water prior to applying new stickers.

It's good stuff as long as you don't mind your stuff smelling like oranges for awhile, but that's only usually a couple of days. Just don't use it on anything with thin paper. Like the cover paper in DVDs...it stains that, but it's great on plastics.

goo gone is a MUST have for taking off stickers and price tags and that kind of stuff

if your restoring old vehicles you will get a lot of scratched/foggy windshields and canopies too...you can buy scratch/scuff remover for eyeglasses that works wonders on this...it fills in the scratches and makes it look clean and clear.

-saboteur

if your restoring old vehicles you will get a lot of scratched/foggy windshields and canopies too...you can buy scratch/scuff remover for eyeglasses that works wonders on this...it fills in the scratches and makes it look clean and clear.

-saboteur

what brand of this do you use and where can i find it? i would be interested in using some of it....thanks in advance.

geez, i have no idea what brand it is...i'll try to look for it. i used it on a few canopies, including a tomohawk one that REALLY improved. if you go to walmart or something and ask they should have it. I bought mine at a store similar to walmart.

-saboteur

zippo lighter fluid works great just as long as you don't leave it on there or anything of corse...

Yeah, I used to use lighter fluid to clean boot scuffs on the floors back in basic, come inspection time... never thought to use it on plastics. Naphta either... These liquids don't damage the plastic at all?

I'll probably just go out and buy some Goo-gone tomorrow or the day after, but just one more question. Is it fine on white plastic? I only ask because I know it reacts quite differently to things (such as sunlight, etc) than other colours.

I duno about damaging it but no matter what you use if you are worried it makes sense to just not leave it on long and wash it off with some regular water after words :)

zippo lighter fluid works great just as long as you don't leave it on there or anything of corse...

Yeah, I used to use lighter fluid to clean boot scuffs on the floors back in basic, come inspection time... never thought to use it on plastics. Naphta either... These liquids don't damage the plastic at all?

I'll probably just go out and buy some Goo-gone tomorrow or the day after, but just one more question. Is it fine on white plastic? I only ask because I know it reacts quite differently to things (such as sunlight, etc) than other colours.

yes, napatha is very good. I used to use it on my cars and it would never damage the paint. but if your enviromentaly friendly and you like the nice, fresh, orangy scent, use GOO GONE.