Hasbro Sneak-Peeks of Star Wars 30th Anniversary Lineup

Whitewolf

This week's Q&A with Hasbro brought the disappointing news that Admiral Piett is not slated to be immortalized in plastic in the near future, but is on Hasbro's "Wish List" of possible future releases (sometime before 2018, when Hasbro loses the Star Wars license). When pressed to tell us---the rabid, news-hungry fans and collection-mongers of TNI---Hasbro informed us of the many new and exciting iconic figures to watch for instead.

Now, as a TNI exclusive, I give you the first look at the 2007/2008 lineup of Original Trilogy figures, commemorating the 30th anniversary of Episode IV: A New Hope...plus a look at two never-before-seen figures from The Empire Strikes Back, slated for sometime in late 2008!

Hasbro1.jpg

c404abe7.jpg

Hasbro3.jpg

1a07c893.jpg

67242218.jpg

Hasbro6.jpg

Hasbro7-1.jpg

Sorry folks... @loll@

With all of the super-obscure figures that Hasbro wants to make before touching on some of the more well-known ones, I HAD to poke fun at them just a lil'... ;)

they are being made because everything else has allready, and now they are reaching putting out old stormies with brand spaking new jango heads :P

has anyone made a starwars movie out of toys yet like they did with the lotr movies? :)

If so linky please haha!

Actually, the female in the Hoth pic is Toryn Farr, and has been on my wish list for a few years. ;) Personally, I'd also like to see an 'upgrade' for Piett at some point. And, dare I say, there actually was a mock-up of a Yavin tech a few years ago for a prototype/unreleased accessory set. @hmmm@

Okay, admittedly I do kinda dig the black-and-white R5 unit in that one Echo Base pic. Hopefully there will be one at some point in the future...

Guest McBragg

I never understood why with 2 special editions of Star Wars, they added a pointless cameo by Boba Fett (staring right at us), but didn't replace some of the generic human and Greedo clone henchmen with Jabba's goons from ROTJ? Gammoreans, Niktos, Bib, Squid Head, Barada,...weequays....gungans....well, maybe not Gungans.

THen again I don't understand why some twit decided that the HUtts are genderless, making Jabba some sore of hemaphrodite pervert or something. Now I remember why I thought EU sucks.

I never understood why with 2 special editions of Star Wars, they added a pointless cameo by Boba Fett (staring right at us), but didn't replace some of the generic human and Greedo clone henchmen with Jabba's goons from ROTJ? Gammoreans, Niktos, Bib, Squid Head, Barada,...weequays....gungans....well, maybe not Gungans.

THen again I don't understand why some twit decided that the HUtts are genderless, making Jabba some sore of hemaphrodite pervert or something. Now I remember why I thought EU sucks.

It was because Boba Fett was at the height of his popularity in the mid-90s when Lucas decided to redo ANH "the way he had envisioned it in 1977." Fett was still the only badass bountyhunter in the galaxy at the time. No "Jango is my clone progenitor/daddy" backstory had been established yet. As a matter of fact, this was back when he was originally supposed to be known as Jaster Mereel from a planet called Concord Dawn. When he murdered a man, he fled and changed his identity. So to have him stop, pan to the camera and practically nod at the audience, that was the epitomy of "cool" back then because he was still such a mysterious character. But Episode II changed all of that...now Boba had a softer, more tragic side to him that rendered the Ep. IV scene to a level of silliness. @smilepunch@

And thankfully, Gungans were probably still just a twinkle in Uncle George's eye when he was redoing the OT back in 1997, so they never saw the light of day in the OT until the end of the 2004 ROTJ DVD.

And thankfully, Gungans were probably still just a twinkle in Uncle George's eye when he was redoing the OT back in 1997, so they never saw the light of day in the OT until the end of the 2004 ROTJ DVD.

no, sadly, the gungans were already worked into the script in 97. the movie was just about done, in fact. they got it what....a year later?

Hey what about the guy carrying the ice scream maker in TESB?

He's likely gonna get a figure, Hasbro's already said so. It likely won't be in 2007 but he's in the pipeline.

I can't imagine how boring a figure he's gonna make for but there ya have it.

Hey what about the guy carrying the ice scream maker in TESB?

He's likely gonna get a figure, Hasbro's already said so. It likely won't be in 2007 but he's in the pipeline.

I can't imagine how boring a figure he's gonna make for but there ya have it.

That was sort of the reason behind my initial post with all the pics. Hasbro is intent on making every obscure figure in the Star Wars universe, but when asked about a few of the heavy-hitters, they have no immediate plans to make them into figures. With the exception of maybe 4 or 5, every alien in the Mos Eisley Cantina has been made. Every courtier in Jabba's Palace will see a figure, with Hermie Oodle leading the pack. Even characters from Star Wars video games are being made. And every Jedi and their brothers, uncles, sisters and cousins are being made from the Clone Wars era.

But Admiral Piett, Owen and Beru Lars, General Madine, Admiral Ackbar, OT-era Mon Mothma, a decently articulated "Oldbi-Wan" Kenobi, etc. aren't even on the horizon. I do realize that some of these are just potential pegwarmer fodder, but these are also iconic faces within the Star Wars Universe. But does Hasbro really think that some of these others that they've chosen to make won't be as well? Ice Cream Maker Guy is going to be a hot seller? Gimme a frickin' break. That's a collector's-niche figure if I've ever heard of one.

But Admiral Piett, Owen and Beru Lars, General Madine, Admiral Ackbar, OT-era Mon Mothma, a decently articulated "Oldbi-Wan" Kenobi, etc. aren't even on the horizon.
While I agree with you, somewhat, those aren't really the best examples because they have already been done. Madine was released only two years ago. Yes, they do need resulpts (except Madine) but brand new background characters are needed also. The line would run out of steam real fast if it was just main and major characters.

Guest McBragg

they made Mon Mothma in the 90's. She wasn't an especially great figure, but isn't as dated as Weequay, Ceremonial Luke (which needs an update!), Nien Numb and others from that era. Plus, her ROTS figure was a total peg warmer.

Ackbar is in need of a new figure, and as much as I like Bossk, Admiral Ackbar is far more worthy of a VOTC style release.

Piett only requires a new head sculpt, maybe a rank badge retool. But there's been a bit of Imperial officers lately, so I can see why Hasbro would hold off on a redo of him.

The Lars couple are guaranteed peg warmers, as much as all the background humans this thread was making fun of. Beru was done just fine the first time, Owen was not. The average person wouldn't consider them icons. They never bothered making their younger versions from ATOC, either.

i thought the ice cream maker guy hype was a joke, and was shocked to learn fans were actually serious. I expect a petition to redo Porkins next. WE NEED SUPER ARTICULATED PORKINS!