Hello - this is what i have to say.

gatewave

Okay, here goes.

This movie has had me excited for almost three years now. Before we even knew if it was going to happen.

I might not be the MOST hardcore Transformers fan EVER, and i may not have been around for the very beginning of it, but Transformers has always been a part of my life and always something i have loved and have been interested in.

also, i am pretty much what some would call a Generation One purist, though i'm not as steadfast in that way as SOME people are.

That said, since i have started to see these pictures that have been leaked, i have lost a lot of confidence and quite a bit of enthusiasm over this film. I knew from the get-go that i wouldn't likely be seeing a carbon copy of my beloved original Transformers in live-action, but what they are putting out thus far is RIDICULOUS.

Those images of what seem to be the official Starscream and Megatron for this movie pretty much stomp all over what i hold to be transformers and what i have loved for as long as i can remember.

If you cannot guess from that little quote, i do NOT like the designs. At all.

i feel that what could've been the most exciting cinematic experience i have ever had has been turned into yet another "masters of the universe" or "street fighter". Or, dare i say it, "Super Mario Bros."

This movie had SO much potential to be the single greatest thing ever on celluloid, and they went and did what they have done.

Do not get me wrong, there are still things here and there that make me hopeful, and i WANT this movie to be great and to fetch big numbers. I have FAITH in the writers, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. They seem to know what they should. But whoever is responsible for the designs we have been shown should be fired immediately and should never have been allowed anywhere NEAR this production. Sadly, so far the things i am grossly disappointed in overshadow what looks promising.

There are so MANY people who i WISH TO GOD were in charge of this picture instead of the people who are, and i WISH that we would get to see what all the true fans really WANT to see on the big screen, but from what we have seen so far, we will not get that this time around.

Granted, i can not base what i say on anything but speculation and a few pictures, and i AM reserving full judgement on the movie until the end credits roll in front of me next july, but what i HAVE seen does not make me confident or hopeful in the least, and i think something has gone drastically wrong somewhere along the production line - and it is a TRUE shame.

what most of us fail to realize is that maybe.....MAYBE....the show will turn out to be the greatest thing ever because of the direction it is taking now. A fanboy's definition of 'great' is something that complies to childhood nostalgia, not logic. If the movie can come up with a very good reason why megatron had to look the way he looked, i would very much appreciate it more than something which looked closer to the cartoon with no reason for it.

i want this movie to be good as a stand alone, regardless of how much resemblence it has to the cartoon. If a movie follows its source material and sucked, fans will complain. If a movie doesn't follow its source material but rocks, nobody can say anything. If it doesn't follow its source material and still sucked, then everybody has the right to complain. If you are hoping for source material resemblence and a good movie, you are hoping for the ideal.

I agree 100%.

what most of us fail to realize is that maybe.....MAYBE....the show will turn out to be the greatest thing ever because of the direction it is taking now. A fanboy's definition of 'great' is something that complies to childhood nostalgia, not logic.

That's a very big maybe, considering Bay's past films. Also, I think you're forgetting that just about every single male aged 20-35 grew up with Transformers, and their definition of 'great' is going to comply to childhood nostalgia as much as, if not more, than that of a "fanboy".

I think it's probable that we're going to see even more of a backlash from this group than we are from the fans, to be quite honest.

I am hoping that some how the images of robots that we have seen are just their cybertronian forms, and once they scan their earth vehicles they may look different. But that probably won't be the case.

Megatron looks frickin ##$%$#ed.

Hope they can turn this around somehow, maybe at this point in production they only have raw LIVE footage, and they can still change the transformer designs before they add them to the RAW footage. It wouldn't bother me if they pushed the release date back 6 months just to get it right.

I think it's probable that we're going to see even more of a backlash from this group than we are from the fans, to be quite honest.

again, I have to disagree with you. the majority of the audience is going to expect living, "breathing" robots that turn into machines, which is what these designs are, not talking cars with arms and legs, which is what the typical TF's design looks like. that is what the design team was aiming for and succeeded with, turning TF's into actual living mechanical beings, not, as I said, talking cars with arms and legs, which would just look silly live action, running around. ultimately, all they would look like are talking cars, not living creatures.

again, you are attempting to project your obviously biased opinions on a segment of people who have long stopped caring about TF's and if they see this movie will expect it to look like it was designed in 2007 with 2007 technology, not handcuff itself with designs that were dependent upon lacking toy sculpting technology. todays technology allows for TF's to look like fully living robots that transform, that is what the majority of the audience is going to expect.

I have to agree partly with gscbr. It is true that most male aged 20-35 have seen Transformers before, but believe me, many of them can barely remember what they saw. All they remember is Optimus Prime=red truck=leader...and that's all. They don't even remember Megatron or Starscream, not even thier names. Only hardcore fans like us know everything to the smallest detail, the rest of the 'used-to-be-fans' remember too little to be able to condemn anything about what the movie will present to them.

what most of us fail to realize is that maybe.....MAYBE....the show will turn out to be the greatest thing ever because of the direction it is taking now. A fanboy's definition of 'great' is something that complies to childhood nostalgia, not logic. If the movie can come up with a very good reason why megatron had to look the way he looked, i would very much appreciate it more than something which looked closer to the cartoon with no reason for it.

i want this movie to be good as a stand alone, regardless of how much resemblence it has to the cartoon. If a movie follows its source material and sucked, fans will complain. If a movie doesn't follow its source material but rocks, nobody can say anything. If it doesn't follow its source material and still sucked, then everybody has the right to complain. If you are hoping for source material resemblence and a good movie, you are hoping for the ideal.

i agree with you , except for the fact that there have been (mostly recnetly) movies that rock AND are very close to the source.

Best example? Sin City Awesome movie that is ALMOST a panel-for-panel translation of the books.

others?

Spiderman. Spiderman, spiderman, spiderman. (with the exception of the green goblin, which OBVIOUSLY would never work as a live version of the original.)

The punisher. the new movie. i thought it was pretty good and damn faithful.

Lord of the Rings. "works for me!"

among others.

and masters of the universe....just kidding. @haha@

I have to agree partly with gscbr. It is true that most male aged 20-35 have seen Transformers before, but believe me, many of them can barely remember what they saw. All they remember is Optimus Prime=red truck=leader...and that's all. They don't even remember Megatron or Starscream, not even thier names. Only hardcore fans like us know everything to the smallest detail, the rest of the 'used-to-be-fans' remember too little to be able to condemn anything about what the movie will present to them.

ok.

wait, who were the over 600,000 people who swarmed over the Dreamwave G1 comics when they first came out?

i know i was at least one.

ok.

wait, who were the over 600,000 people who swarmed over the Dreamwave G1 comics when they first came out?

600000 is a mediocre minority for a movie production, and at international level. Not all 600000 buyers of DW comics were hardcore, many of the group were just curious and willing to reignite thier childhood memories, but didn't care much.

And regarding your example about Spiderman and Sin City, those were about human characters, nothing too hard to follow. Transformers were about robots who could transform, in which proper transformation mechanics were never developed or thought of, and unless we are willing to cheat in thier transformations, it would be relatively more difficult to follow source material.

okay, i just read the movie script, the entire script, and presumably an outdated script. It appears that Megatron refuses to take an Earth form and even speak any of our languages because we are weak, and he condemns Optimus for doing so.

Because China has the biggest population in the world, Optimus assumes chinese to be the international language, therefore speaks to Sam in chinese before realizing that Sam speaks english. Haha, that's my idea of logic.

ok.

I was too; however, one issue does not make for a complete census. Unfortunately, it was a spike that dropped more and more due to rampant problems at Dreamwave.

okay, i just read the movie script, the entire script, and presumably an outdated script. It appears that Megatron refuses to take an Earth form and even speak any of our languages because we are weak, and he condemns Optimus for doing so.

Because China has the biggest population in the world, Optimus assumes chinese to be the international language, therefore speaks to Sam in chinese before realizing that Sam speaks english. Haha, that's my idea of logic.

Spoilerize that thing buddy! @smilepunch@

I have a very strong feeling that the early designs we've seen were leaked on purpose to gauge our reaction. If that's the case then they did exactly as purposed. Brian Goldner has gone out to say that the designs are VERY early designs. I'm hoping that they will be better in the final product.

To be fair we should all "hold our breath" until we see the trailer. Because the way they move and Transform can bring these designs to life in ways we cant imagine. And lets not forget ILM is making the effects. So even though its not what we expected it should be Cool as hell.

To be fair we should all "hold our breath" until we see the trailer. Because the way they move and Transform can bring these designs to life in ways we cant imagine. And lets not forget ILM is making the effects. So even though its not what we expected it should be Cool as hell.

Agreed. A lot of the naysaying and negative hyperbole that's been used just isn't worth the stress that it seems to have created in those individuals. It's far too easy to judge a picture without any information at all.

again, I have to disagree with you. the majority of the audience is going to expect living, "breathing" robots that turn into machines, which is what these designs are, not talking cars with arms and legs, which is what the typical TF's design looks like. that is what the design team was aiming for and succeeded with, turning TF's into actual living mechanical beings, not, as I said, talking cars with arms and legs, which would just look silly live action, running around. ultimately, all they would look like are talking cars, not living creatures.

again, you are attempting to project your obviously biased opinions on a segment of people who have long stopped caring about TF's and if they see this movie will expect it to look like it was designed in 2007 with 2007 technology, not handcuff itself with designs that were dependent upon lacking toy sculpting technology. todays technology allows for TF's to look like fully living robots that transform, that is what the majority of the audience is going to expect.

Whatever... we'll see. I don't think anyone I grew up with or know today that is in the same age group expect TFs to be "breathing organo-bots", but if they can pull them off for the movie, more power to 'em.

And enough with the "obviously biased opinions" talk... EVERYONE is biased. No offense, but you sound like a jerk when you talk like that.

I have a very strong feeling that the early designs we've seen were leaked on purpose to gauge our reaction. If that's the case then they did exactly as purposed. Brian Goldner has gone out to say that the designs are VERY early designs. I'm hoping that they will be better in the final product.

If the leaked designs were meant to gauge our reactions, then why would Hasbro go the distance to create actual toy moulds? Why not just leak out the CG renders before creating the toy mould? I would believe that they designs are closed to the final ones, only less detailed.

There is a really big flaw with using the traditional style TF's that people seem to be overlooking. In reality, most bots wouldn't have much more articulation than the figure does.

In the cartoons they can manipulate things more and make it look more natural looking but I just can't see how the bots could have the range of movement that would be required. With these designs, they have a much better, and believable, ability for a great range of movement and agility. Alts are nice, but again, their bulk keeps them from having a really good range of movement.

Not to mention, even if they could pull it off then in order to make a decent toyline, every figure would have to pretty much be a masterpiece figure to do the character any justice.

The more and more I think about it, the more I come to see that using the traditional bot modes just wouldn't have worked. Sure it may have pleased fans, but I think it might have come across as being a bit too cheezy for most peoples taste.

Megs gives me the feeling that this movie will be quite a bit darker with a lot more edge than anything we could have hoped to have seen. That works for me.

Everything is still early and people are still in shock over the pics. I expect things will calm down a bit once people start getting used to this idea and I think quite a few will come to like them.

I'm content to sit back and let them do their thing. With plenty of awesome figures soon to be released my thoughts are focused more on those right now. I'll cross that other bridge when I get to it.

If the leaked designs were meant to gauge our reactions, then why would Hasbro go the distance to create actual toy moulds? Why not just leak out the CG renders before creating the toy mould? I would believe that they designs are closed to the final ones, only less detailed.

I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time Hasbro came up with a prototype figure that never got used.

Hasbro is probably working with the movie designers to make figures that could easily be translated into toy form. So as the development of the movie characters progresses, so might the figure sculpts.

Everything is still in rough form, so it's not worth getting too worked up over it at this point.

there's always the option of NOT going too lol

I have no interest in energon, or watching energon cartoons, and I never will because I simply don't like it.

same goes with this new movie. from what i've seen so far, it'll be a waste of my time

It may have to appeal to everyone, but the fans need to be pleased as well. They should come up with a compromising solution that accomplishes what they want plus what we want.

We do not want to see another Street Figher, Super Mario Bros, or Masters of the Universe where the source material was lightly used. They did so bad because they WERE that bad. We don't want to see that happen to our beloved Transformers.

there's always the option of NOT going too lol

I have no interest in energon, or watching energon cartoons, and I never will because I simply don't like it.

same goes with this new movie. from what i've seen so far, it'll be a waste of my time

SUPERLINK RULES YOU!

I am thinking this as well, though I am one of those people who thinks they have done that for everything put out dispite there lil "hissy fits" :P

It may have to appeal to everyone, but the fans need to be pleased as well. They should come up with a compromising solution that accomplishes what they want plus what we want.

We do not want to see another Street Figher, Super Mario Bros, or Masters of the Universe where the source material was lightly used. They did so bad because they WERE that bad. We don't want to see that happen to our beloved Transformers.

How do you define 'source material being lightly used'? Street Fighter didn't follow the original story line, but most of the characters were made to look like they did in the game. They even threw in a Hawaiian Sumo, despite how stupid it sounds. Hence, in an effort to not make a movie like Street Fighter, i'm glad they chose not to follow the appearence of the source material if it didn't make sense.

ACtaully I thought SMB was kinda well done for what it was... not the best really but still... Same with heman as well... entertaining if nothing else :P How ever for there times you can't really expect much more than what we got, in todays day and age One should expect a billino times better....

Personaly I can't wait to go see the movie just to see if all this biatching about it is justifyed or not @smilepunch@ @loll@ & dispite what any, repeat ANY tf fan says we will all GO see the movie!! or download it or what not to watch it!!