Why couldn't a person that actually LIKES TFs direct the film?

SentinelPrime

Sam Raimi was a Spider Man fan, look how good those movies turned out.

Bryan Singer took the time to get in touch with the X Men, and thusly, captured the soul of the team more than the comics had since the 80's. (And no, the costume changes were no where NEAR the level of change of the TF designs.)

Nolan tried to capture the spirit and essence of Batman, read the source material, made some tweaks, and gave us the (imo) sweet-ass piece of film called Batman Begins.

So why doesn't Transformers get that kind of attention? I mean, Spider Man, Batman and the X Men were made in the 40's/60's , but Gi Joe, Transformers and others are the created heroes in OUR generaion, and over time they are being elevated to that recognition.

Why couldn't they just have hired someone from the start that just said "hey, I remember TFs, I really loved those guys, Megatron, Prime, etc." I don't mean a core-fanboy obsessed with the franchise, just someone that wanted to do it respectfully.

Ancient robots crash on earth, wake up years later, are now stuck like Chuck and fighting a secret war for scarce fuel and to protect humans. What's the problem with that? Hell, if you just modernized the first comic arc, that'd be pretty good imo! Go with something similar to that Sideswipe test shot we saw, and go with it!

Why get some lame-o Hollywood guy that nearly mocks the whole thing at the start, and is bent on adding his namesake to something he doesn't even really care about to start with?

Good lord. It makes no sense to me.

It's too late Hasbro dropped the ball BIG TIME in using Bay and not some Hardcore fan!

Again, I don't think a "hardcore" fan would be a good idea. Just someone that recognizes the look and characters and would treat the source material/style with a bit more respect.

That's all.

Because they're not interested in appealing to fans. They only interested in appealing to larger audience. The fans don't matter. Oddly enough, it's the fans that make something successful enough for them to want to make a movie; but the fans don't matter.

It's too late Hasbro dropped the ball BIG TIME in using Bay and not some Hardcore fan!

Again, I don't think a "hardcore" fan would be a good idea. Just someone that recognizes the look and characters and would treat the source material/style with a bit more respect.

That's all.

Someone who was a fan as a kid, at least, and grew up with them back in the '80s would have been perfect. And really, who wasn't a fan back then, if you were a boy at least?

That's all you need - Michael Bay was already twenty when the first TFs came out in North America. That's the real problem, right there.

That's all.

Someone who was a fan as a kid, at least, and grew up with them back in the '80s would have been perfect. And really, who wasn't a fan back then, if you were a boy at least?

That's all you need - Michael Bay was already twenty when the first TFs came out in North America. That's the real problem, right there.

Exactly. It was after his time to get into it. But, he may be able to direct it properly. Its the look and feel of it we are all worried about.

I am not all that interested in this film. The most I can hope for is that it prolongs the series for another couple years, through some twisted feat of marketing and the gullible movie-going public.

Heck, someone said it best... Fighting robots appeals to today's simple youth AND adults. Context doesn't really figure in.

But yeah, this isn't Transformers. It's like saying "Saving Private Ryan" is "GI Joe" because there's guns, vehicles, guys with military rank and bad-guys.

Tom

Heck, someone said it best... Fighting robots appeals to today's simple youth AND adults. Context doesn't really figure in.

They want it to be a summer blockbuster. That means lots of action, lots of computer-generated special effects, and next to no worthy plot.

I was on the dislike wagon but I transgress, I mean , maybe we are being a little judgemental. Us as fans have already gotten some great things coming out for us, Titaniums,Classics, new G1Reissues, and more Alts, I say our mouths will be fed pretty well(and this is what THEY want), and when the movie comes out, well, we'll see then.

They just got a director who knows how to use a budget for big explosions and big special effects.

Plus,Bay needed something to "redeem" himself with after that crap that was "The Island".

Hey, the Island was pretty good and actually gave me confidence in his ability to do some justice to Transformers.

While a commercial failure (due largely to the poor marketing), the film was a hit overseas and the film actually turned a profit once you factor the international gross with US gross, not counting DVD sales and TV rights.

Something I see hasn't occured to a lot of you is that, just maybe, there wasn't a TF fan director out there! Transformers are a LOT more obscure than Spider-Man or X-Men, and it is highly likely that there simply were not any respected directors who knew of the brand (aside from Steven Spielberg, but he has other projects).

The fact is Transformers will be a summer popcorn flick. And Bay has proven NUMEROUS times he can provide such films

I was on the dislike wagon but I transgress, I mean , maybe we are being a little judgemental. Us as fans have already gotten some great things coming out for us, Titaniums,Classics, new G1Reissues, and more Alts, I say our mouths will be fed pretty well(and this is what THEY want), and when the movie comes out, well, we'll see then.

If I wanted to watch the Borg, Id watch Star Trek.

I hear they have that on Spike and G4. Too bad none of the designs we've seen actually look like the Borg. Next! :D

New G1 reissues??? Where?

Reissue Soundwave. Prototype sold on ebay a few weeks ago w/ Ravage and Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw and recently shown up in TRU computers. The protype was the Soundblaster mold however, the one that holds two tapes.

My dislike for the bots remain, I'm just hoping for a good story at least.

New G1 reissues??? Where?

Reissue Soundwave. Prototype sold on ebay a few weeks ago w/ Ravage and Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw and recently shown up in TRU computers. The protype was the Soundblaster mold however, the one that holds two tapes.

Ahhh, right. Didn't really consider that a "new" one, but I'm glad to see it (probably) coming Stateside.

Would prefer Takara continued on... don't mind them being slow, but we're about due...

You are just upset that they ruined Starscream. @smilepunch@

Well I heard that Tom Hanks is actually a big TF-fan (and a pretty good director IMHO).

But then again he's not the type of director who'd make an all-explosions-no-plot movie.

Same goes for Kevin Smith I suppose.

Quentin Tarantino would just have them do nothing but talk for the biggest part of the movie (although most likely with brilliantly written dialogue).

My point is that those are three topbill director's there who have a love for TF.

Well I heard that Tom Hanks is actually a big TF-fan (and a pretty good director IMHO).

But then again he's not the type of director who'd make an all-explosions-no-plot movie.

Quentin Tarantino would just have them do nothing but talk for the biggest part of the movie (although most likely with brilliantly written dialogue).

My point is that those are three topbill director's there who have a love for TF.

They have a love, but they aren't action directors. I only hope that Bay doesn't RUIN our beloved franchise.

They have a love, but they aren't action directors. I only hope that Bay doesn't RUIN our beloved franchise.

Oh don't worry, there are plenty of fans that can and are happily doing that for him.

Oh don't worry, there are plenty of fans that can and are happily doing that for him.

LOL...Chug served the Transfans

LOL...Chug served the Transfans

Bob Skir death threats, anyone?