Marvel Legends: Kung Fu Grip

Damien

Now, I understand (at least from what I've read) that most fans of the ML style of toys are really wet for the incredible articulation. But earlier today, I was really aggitated. You see, the window in my office was open and it was storming outside a bit - really strong winds. Long story short, Punisher's gun (movie Punisher) blew out of his hand (he's near the window).

While attempting to get his gun back into position, I remembered how difficult it had been to set him up the first time. The issue, of course, is that his hands suck. They aren't actually capable of gripping anything. Putting guns in his hands essentially amounts to resting the gun 'across' the hands in some way. Currently Punisher is back up and toting around his automatic rifle. It looks good - the hand is curled around the grip and the stock is in his other hand. The problem is that the stock resting on his hand is the only thing keeping the weapon where it is.

(This was also a prominent problem, for you LotR fans, in some of the ToyBiz Lord of the Rings figures, who were given articulated fingers and swords. . . which is ##$%$#ed.)

Getting to my point: I have a question to pose. For you, as a collector in whatever capacity, of Marvel Legends figures - where does your need for articulation end, and your need for ease of poseability, or even playability, begin?

I'm gettin' to be an old man, but I don't mind admitting that every so often I like to take my figures down after a hard day and let them pound on each other for awhile (being careful not to bend Wolverine's super-melty claws). And I'm sure there are many kids out there that buy these figures just to play with, as well as many adults that would at least like to be able to pick the things up.

So for me, these articulated fingers on some of the figures are absurd. My -personal- opinion is that the choice should be made between an armed figure, and a hand-articulated figure. It's really one or the other. I want to be able to position my Punisher with his pistol pointed out at Wolvie, but I can't because the gun just falls out. So for me this isn't just a playability issue, but rather a display issue. I don't like having some of my figures limited in how I can pose them, and what items that they -come with- that I can give them, because of over-articulation.

The question comes up then -- would a Marvel Legend figure -really- suffer if he lost the articulation in one or both of his hands (just at the 'knuckles' area) in order to have a firmer grip for a firearm? Obviously this doesn't apply to Wolvie, or Apoccy or War-Machine, or what-have-you. But for characters like Deadpool and Punisher, it's certainly an issue worth bringing up.

Personally, I really don't think articulation of the fingers is all that meaningful for these characters. Their fingers are already sculpted in 'gun-holding' positions, so bending the fingers out of 'grip' mode looks silly anyway. I mean, does the finger articulation matter -so much- to the overall look of the figure that it's acceptable, even desirable, to have it at the expense of the character being able to hold any of the items he is packaged with?

Just food for thought. I would really like to see gun-toting figures in the ML line released with at least one hand in 'kung-fu grip' style, which I think would AID in the display value of the figure, rather than hinder it. But that's just my opinion.

What do you think?

(And don't hit me over the head with clear rubber bands. I shouldn't have to wrap rubber bands around my toys, and frankly they look ridiculous if you're standing any closer than 10 feet from the figure.)

*hits you with clear rubber bands*

I just use the tiny almost unseeable bands. I don't remember if any ML figs come with them, but I save the ones I get from the Star Wars Galactic heroes figures.

I take my stuff down to *ahem* play with as well, and I, nor anyone who gawks in disgust and/or awe at my collection notices them. I usually get a "How do you keep them holding their stuff?"

*shrugs*

My pointless 2 cents. :D

I never actually "play" with my figures, but I do like to rearrange where they are. ML3 Thor is annoying because Mjolnir has a hard time staying put, but I found a way for him to hold it. But if I move him...the hammer slides and then will fall out of his hand. Luckily, GM Thor has a fixed hand so this doesn't happen, which I'm happy about.

I use clear rubberbands. Just buy them at a dollar store.

He says he doesn't want to use those though. I just do what you said me and have to rest the gun on his hand unless you put some apoxy or some type of mold somewhere on the gun around the trigger so it will be a tight fit

I use clear rubberbands. Just buy them at a dollar store.

He says he doesn't want to use those though. I just do what you said me and have to rest the gun on his hand unless you put some apoxy or some type of mold somewhere on the gun around the trigger so it will be a tight fit

Oh,oops. :wacko:

I don't have a problem with molded hands if there's no point to having them flex. Spider-Man, for example, should almost always have jointed fingers. Iron Fist, on the other hand... why does he have a finger joint for his 'karate chop' hand pose? I doubt anyone will ever fathom a point to that.

The Face-Offs Red Skull keeps dropping his knife, no matter what hand it's in, and Strucker can't hold any gun I've ever put in his hand (we're talking dozens) without resting a stock in his armpit. Meanwhile, Taskmaster brandishes his gun and sword like a grinnin' fool, knowing it'll be beyond the ability of most other figures to disarm him.

A lot of people complained when X-23 had closed fists. Personally, I couldn't figure out why. She's never used a hand weapon that I can remember, and she's not old enough to drink beer and smoke cigars like 'daddy' does. That's on top of that fact that 99% of the people who buy her will have her on the shelf brandishing her claws, which would look silly with an open hand.

So yeah, I can totally see your point. The fixed hands are, IMO, appropriate on some characters, and should actually be seen on more of them. Not just character, but sculpt should be taken into account (I again point you to Iron Fist). I can also see that there are a lot of people who think that they are losing something when the figure comes with fixed hands... but to be honest, since most of the fixed hands have made perfect sense, I can't figure out why.

The only figure I have hand problems with so far is any Hulk. Icons at least lets one hand ball up, but the rest are too articulated.

HULK SMASH! NOT SHOOT WEB!

But its nice to have the option of having Hulk choke slam someone into the ground repeatedly. :D

Wish I had my old "video" I did of the older Movie Hulk toy beating up a bunch of GI Joes.

Poor Roadblock kept getting slammed into the ground over and over. Was priceless.

I actually posted it on here many a years ago. Wish I would have not deleted it. Bah.

Back on topic!!! *ahem* Yeah, while I could see the point in some guys having the aforementioned "kung-fu grip" for guns and stuff, I guess it'd be something that enough people would have to make known to the company. Maybe they could like, include optional extra hands, kinda like SOTA does with the Street Fighter figs.

*shrugs*

Again, pointless 2 cents. Thrown in.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much articulation.

I can do without the articulated hands. Those have been the bane of my toy collecting since MLs started. I don't even know how those got past quality control. If a toy can't hold it's accessory (for kids or adults) then don't sell it! However, they are thankfully (and FINALLY) changing this. It's why I like the Taskmaster figure so much (except for the strange hip articulation....Wolverine has that too. Dunno why). Of course, it goes without saying that if they have no accessories (or don't usually hold any) then give 'em the moveable fingers! Though.....I'd like at least ONE Spider-Man with closed fists. Someday. If he doesn't have any action attacks.

As for articulation in general, it can go overboard. Like you (the starter of this thread) I take down the toys and play with them (probably a little more often). The toys that work best in play tend to be the figures with (at the very least) these basic points:

- Outwardly moving arms

- Outwardly moving legs (for side kicks)

- Knees and elbows

Those basic points make a great toy most of the time. If it's missing the outward movement of the arms and legs, I tend to let 'em go. The new He-Man figures wouldn't have been nearly as fun if they didn't have that range of motion....they didn't even need knee and elbow movement! That's just how I base play value.

Yeah, I feel your pain with that...I wish all of em had that whole Bishop-lock-system...his guns fit WELL! but I have two alternatives for ya in the meanwhile:

-Superglue the hands in a fixed position, put the gun in hand and glue the outer knuckle. Once dry, glue the inner knuckle. should hold like crazy when dry.

-Swap the hands out with some of those static McToys. not only does it solve the problem of dropped "gats" but it'll open up possibilities for all those weapons ToddCo. has made

Hope that helps, best of luck!

MOSC 4 real ;)

Lol. The first few times I saw you post that, it was slightly amusing. Now it's just gotten really annoying. Hehehehe.

The Face-Offs Red Skull keeps dropping his knife, no matter what hand it's in, and Strucker can't hold any gun I've ever put in his hand (we're talking dozens) without resting a stock in his armpit.

I found a remedy for that. You cut between the pointer finger and middle finger of the hand and use a gun with a trigger guard.

As for the Iron Fist hands etc. debate, I completely agree with you. I believe that characters who don't use and weapons could have open hands, etc. and char. like Punisher should have a grip. If they're not going to do extra hands (which you almost KNOW they won't), then they need to smarten up with the molds they do make.

To quote the Bard...

" 'Tis much ado about nothing..."

Well, that was really productive...

Back on topic!!! *ahem* Yeah, while I could see the point in some guys having the aforementioned "kung-fu grip" for guns and stuff, I guess it'd be something that enough people would have to make known to the company. Maybe they could like, include optional extra hands, kinda like SOTA does with the Street Fighter figs.

But would it ever happen even then?

I doubt it.

Though.....I'd like at least ONE Spider-Man with closed fists. Someday. If he doesn't have any action attacks.

I guess that one with the switchable Parker and Spidey heads in SMC had a feature? I am still looking for one.

Now, I've got Bullseye holding a sais, and they're extremely floppy.

Yep, he was talking about ML6.

Also, it's "sai".